• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Simplegamer

Oct 26, 2017
I went into my local speedway this morning to get coffee came out and my car was gone. Already filed the report with the police and they did a search and could not find it in the area. Nice Blue 2017 Honda Civic gone that easily. I left the car running but I had the remote keyfob on me and did not think these cars could get far without the Keyfob.... Boy was I wrong.

Just here to vent and hear the community stories on issues like this.

UPDATE: Car was found a few hours later near some railroad tracks. Both airbags deployed and a busted windshield. Two suspects from what the detective told me. I also found a cellphone in the front seat that has been turned into the Police.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
That must be the worst feeling in the world. I always do the same thing - leave my car running, but assumed that the thief couldn't get far because I didn't leave the key fob inside.

I hope the police are able to track it down.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how it is over there, but where I come from insurance doesn't cover anything if the engine was running when the car was stolen.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Keyless entry systems only work if you lock the car! The system on the Civic is an unlock only system for Smart Entry, if you left the engine running it doesn't shut off even if the keys aren't near the car.

This may well be an expensive lesson, have you called your insurance company and will they cover theft if you left the car unlocked.

Worse, there's a setting called Walk Away Auto Lock which should be s feature available but isn't on by default!

Looks like a bit of an oversight by Honda here. I can only hope you get your car back. Once the engine is off of course the thieves will not be able to restart.

OP
OP
Simplegamer

Simplegamer

Oct 26, 2017
To keep the car warm and I like I said I was unaware these cars could get far without the keyfob. I was also in the gas station for like 2 minutes at most. Got coffee swiped card and car was gone that quick.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Did you think the car was just going to turn off if it gets too far from your key fob? That would be a dangerous and stupid feature.
There's a feature that *does* lock the car if the fob is taken away though!

That would've prevented this and the car would automatically unlock when the driver returned.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Where do you live?

Y'all shouldn't give OP a hard time. Here in Ohio, a lot of people leave their cars on while they go into the store. I've done it dozens of times and my stuff hasn't been jacked yet.

But I'll stop after reading this thread lol

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ouch, a horrible feeling to have something like that stolen. However, leaving the car running whilst you grab a coffee? That's a rookie mistake. Hell, would insurance even pay out for something like that?

OP
OP
Simplegamer

Simplegamer

Oct 26, 2017
Did you think the car was just going to turn off if it gets too far from your key fob? That would be a dangerous and stupid feature.
I did and the Police also thought this was a feature because they kept asking me was another key in the car. Then said it should be stalled somewhere close.

OP
OP
Simplegamer

Simplegamer

Oct 26, 2017
Damn. Where do you live?

Y'all shouldn't give OP a hard time. Here in Ohio, a lot of people leave their cars on while they go into the store. I've done it dozens of times and my stuff hasn't been jacked yet.

I live in Ohio and you're spot on with this.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've locked my keys in my car while the car was running years ago, but I have never left my car running and gone inside somewhere. That just seems like asking for trouble. I'm sorry your car was stolen OP :(

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
To keep the car warm and I like I said I was unaware these cars could get far without the keyfob. I was also in the gas station for like 2 minutes at most. Got coffee swiped card and car was gone that quick.
Most cars in the UK now sold have stop start as a feature. Basically the engine will turn itself off when stationary, including at traffic lights. There's no need to idle a modern engine.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Nissans have the option to lock the door when you leave it running, I wouldn't risk leaving my car running other wise.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a brutal lesson learnt, I hope you get your car back, I can't see the insurance being too keen to payout though.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Whenever I pass a running car during the lunch walks I do with a colleague I ask him if he wants a new car.

Never understood why people do this. It's not even that much trouble to stop and start a car lol.

I'm sorry OP, hope you get it back, because insurance is going to be a bitch.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Do you live in Antarctica that you can't turn the car off for 3 min while you get coffee? Did you at least park in a spot within your lines?

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
There's a feature that *does* lock the car if the fob is taken away though!

That would've prevented this and the car would automatically unlock when the driver returned.

At least for GM and Honda, passive locking requires the car to be off. Probably others as well, but only bothered looking up those two.

Edit: Actually might not apply to Hondas.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Leaving it running was a mistake.

That being said I hope they find those who stole it

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
kinda surprised that literally every poster in this thread is shocked that someone might leave their car idling when grabbing a cup of coffee in the morning. apparently every person who attends Cumbies before 7 am deserves to have their car stolen

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Of course the car is not gonna stop driving in the middle of the road, that would cause all kind of safety and liability issues. If it's running, it's assumed the person who started the car is near it and hasn't walked off.

Locking it when out of range makes more sense, and probably happened. But that doesn't matter when you're already inside a running car.

kinda surprised that literally every poster in this thread is shocked that someone might leave their car idling when grabbing a cup of coffee in the morning. apparently every person who attends Cumbies before 7 am deserves to have their car stolen
I'm not shocked it happens. But I'm always amazed that people take that risk for a perceived convenience.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Damn. Where do you live?

This is crazy talk

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Where do you live?

Pretty common here in Michigan too. Figured OP was from the midwest given he mentions speedway.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what it's like where you are OP, but here, if that happens your insurance is invalid.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thats why if you are one of those who feel the need to always have your car on, use an aftermarket remote start and set it to turn off the car when you open the door.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
Don't let your car idle people... think of the environment
also prevents it from driving away without you