• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
Lol. Yeah its the fault of the thief but don't be ignorant. You leave a laptop in the open at Starbucks go do something else, you leave your garage open all day with no one home or in this case leave the car running with the keys at the gas station youre just making yourself vulnerable when you don't have to

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
My buddy had his car stolen during the recent polar vortex under somewhat similar circumstances (he was warming it up outside his house and ran inside to grab his wallet).

The good news is that because it was a crime of opportunity, the thief was naive about doing grand theft auto-type crimes, and didn't really know what to do with the car. So instead of taking it to a chop shop or shipping it out of state, or even changing the plates, the idiot sold it as a legitimate car to a regular person he knew living just a few miles away. Police found it a week later parked on the street in perfect condition, and now my friend has his car back. Turns out the kind of person who hangs out outside at 8 am when it's zero degrees and who's willing to steal a car on a whim isn't necessarily your most intelligent thief. Probably made $2k cash and now is looking at like 5 years in prison.

My buddy would have been pretty fucked, because insurance was NOT going to cover it, and being that it was a 6-month-old car, he was going to be on the hook for several years of car payments for a car he didn't even have. As a single dad on an already-stretched income, that was a pretty scary position to be facing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Op, Let us know what your insurance says. Really curious if they'll actually cover you or not in this circumstance.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
My current car is a manual and I'm hoping that'll be all I need for anti theft.

Same here cause I work in a mall that is right next to a really well known apartment complex (known for drugs and such). My coworker told me the other day she's now had her jeep broken into twice (unfortunately her jeep has a soft top so it's easy for them.. good luck locking that). First week I worked there some one had their car stolen.

But, these days it seems few people know manual so I'm hoping that dissuades the thieves from taking my car. And I try to leave nothing visible in it as well so hopefully they don't break in (plus it does have an alarm... I'm banking on the it's easier to go to some one else's car and mine has nothing tempting in it anyways). I remember a guy in college whose car was broken into (he rented a house in a not great area) and they stole a 5 dollar pair of binoculars (the window cost more). He decided he wasn't bothering locking the door as he kept nothing too valuable in the car and he'd rather they just take the stuff than break the window and he was going to be pissed if they still broke the window next time.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
It can be two things. The theft is 100% the fault of the criminal. But the instigating boo boo was definitely on OP.

Philosophically, sure, the OP's hands are clean. Pragmatically, though, the situation speaks for itself; it's unwise to assume the rest of the world has good intentions. I've been there. I learned my lesson and didn't make the same mistake again. I believe that's the only point people were trying to make, though I admit by this point it is well-trodden ground.

There were people in here that were outright blaming the OP. Also, there's a difference between, "Well next time don't leave it running and it will help deter people from doing that" and "it's your fault cause you left it running". yes, the second one absolutely is blaming the victim. I agree it's unwise to assume people do what they are supposed to do (see my above post, I don't even leave anything in the car visible for them to steal and if some how I accidentally do I feel very thankful it's still there and my window in tact when I get back). But I really disagree with this attitude of blaming the person whose stuff was stolen for it being stolen.

Oh, and btw, even if you do everything right that doesn't gaurentee they won't steal it anyways. They might have been looking (probably really) for something to steal and just went with the easiest one. If there wasn't an easy one they'd find some other criteria on what to pick. Or it could have been a crime of opportunity. Either way, it's 100% on the thieves for stealing it.

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad I have a Lexus that locks all the doors if it's doesn't detect the key fob inside and a GPS locator via the app

Oct 25, 2017
Op, Let us know what your insurance says. Really curious if they'll actually cover you or not in this circumstance.

If he has Comprehensive coverage, the theft will be covered. It is a dumb myth that insurance will be denied for things like that.

Lying about the circumstances of the theft is more likely to get it denied.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There were people in here that were outright blaming the OP. Also, there's a difference between, "Well next time don't leave it running and it will help deter people from doing that" and "it's your fault cause you left it running". yes, the second one absolutely is blaming the victim. I agree it's unwise to assume people do what they are supposed to do (see my above post, I don't even leave anything in the car visible for them to steal and if some how I accidentally do I feel very thankful it's still there and my window in tact when I get back). But I really disagree with this attitude of blaming the person whose stuff was stolen for it being stolen.

Oh, and btw, even if you do everything right that doesn't gaurentee they won't steal it anyways. They might have been looking (probably really) for something to steal and just went with the easiest one. If there wasn't an easy one they'd find some other criteria on what to pick. Or it could have been a crime of opportunity. Either way, it's 100% on the thieves for stealing it.

I don't disagree with you, I just want to draw a distinction between victim blaming ("it's your fault entirely!") and saying well, you didn't help yourself much.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a dumb myth. I know someone whose similar claim was denied in Kentucky just this month.

And you know for a fact that had comprehensive, and that he didn't try to lie during the claim process, and that they said "No" rather than to see if it shows up? The vast majority of thefts like this get found, so insurers often wait and see rather than churning out the full cost asap.

Total Theft where the car is never recovered is actually really rare these days.

OP
OP
Simplegamer

Simplegamer

Oct 26, 2017
If he has Comprehensive coverage, the theft will be covered. It is a dumb myth that insurance will be denied for things like that.

Lying about the circumstances of the theft is more likely to get it denied.
I do have comprehensive insurance and it seems like we're moving forward with the settlement so I don't know how everyone with a similar experience in this thread have been getting denied.... Unless there's a later step when they deny me.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
And you know for a fact that had comprehensive, and that he didn't try to lie during the claim process, and that they said "No" rather than to see if it shows up? The vast majority of thefts like this get found, so insurers often wait and see rather than churning out the full cost asap.

Total Theft where the car is never recovered is actually really rare these days.

You're asking me if I audited my friend's documents? No, I did not. This was what my friend told me. One possibility is that he was exaggerating, myth making, or simply mistaken. Another is that told the truth about his situation, and that he is in a better position to know the facts of his situation than you are.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017

Ok, I emailed him to clarify, and he says he didn't have comprehensive insurance after all, so I retract all claims about his insurance coverage regarding this discussion.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
UPDATE: Car was found a few hours later near some railroad tracks. Both airbags deployed and a busted windshield. Two suspects from what the detective told me. I also found a cellphone in the front seat that has been turned into the Police.

Nice, got your car back. Worried it would be torn down for parts.

Especially for Civics.

Civic owner too.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
convenience, duh. no need to touch or handle a key.

Were there really people out there lamenting the tedious chore of putting a key in a hole and turning it? Or is this one of those things where the car companies say "Aren't you sick of having to laboriously hold, insert and turn keys?!" and the audience replies "Oh, uh... like, not really?" And then the car companies say "Well great news, we improved it for you! Behold the march of progress!"

Oct 25, 2017
Were there really people out there lamenting the tedious chore of putting a key in a hole and turning it? Or is this one of those things where the car companies say "Aren't you sick of having to laboriously hold, insert and turn keys?!" and the audience replies "Oh, uh... like, not really?" And then the car companies say "Well great news, we improved it for you! Behold the march of progress!"

Fob systems are harder to start without the key, and is probably one of the reasons why carvtheft as dropped so much over the last decade.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i get your point and i wasn't going at you but there's a reason these fobs first appeared on luxury vehicles and has now trickled down to budget cars and such. convenience. same reason there is push button lock/unlock which predate the touch-less fob.