• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So how's this work? As soon as the thief turns the car off, it's off for good because they don't have the key?

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
That's a security feature actually. It's not quite the same as having the car running, leaving the vehicle, and walking away.

Actually having a little bit of a mindfuck because of this thread because the dealership mentioned this feature of my car specifically citing OPs scenario, but upon Google-ing, that is not true. My car would drive away just fine without the keyfob in it.

Dealership told me that the car would cut the engine after a certain amount of distance without a keyfob.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Any car that's involved in accident will lock the seat belts to maximize the protection of the occupants. Those have to be replaced as the lock is permanent. Some cars can lock the seatbelt depending of there is passenger using the seatbelt, but the majority of car will lock all the seatbelts.

You misunderstood my post. I was referring to general cost of a car, and the not the 10k to replace the airbags among other things. But you are right. That's why I said the car will be totaled. If a used 2017 model can be had for 12-15k, then the insurance company will total the car. Also, for the airbags to deploy there must have been an immense force of some kind to trip it. There could be damage underneath the car that's not visible.

After some googling, permenently locking belts does seem to be a feature on newer cars. Though it also seems they only go off if the belts were in use, though that depends on the car.

OP
OP
Simplegamer

Simplegamer

Oct 26, 2017
Actually having a little bit of a mindfuck because of this thread because the dealership mentioned this feature of my car specifically citing OPs scenario, but upon Google-ing, that is not true. My car would drive away just fine without the keyfob in it.

Dealership told me that the car would cut the engine after a certain amount of distance without a keyfob.
I busted the myth for everyone.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Who at the dealership told you that? As someone who has worked at a dealership I can tell you with certainty that like 80% of salesmen dont know shit about the cars theyre selling. They make shit up all the time

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I really don't get the point of all this push-button start/key fob stuff. Like, what was the issue with putting your key in the ignition? What problem was being solved here?

Legit question.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017

Someone feel free to correct me, but no car manufacturer has a keyfob setup that shuts off the car if it's been driven away from the fobs location.

Such a thing doesn't exist to my knowledge.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

I was told this too

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
What's difference? My car was in park with no key fob inside the car.

Cars will not turn off automatically. I meant more that if you do not have the key fob and hit the power button on a push-button-start car, it'll only turn on the electronics and will not start/shift out of drive. If you have already been in drive and go to park, leaving the car will not turn it off.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Oh, I didn't realize cars were incapable of killing people... thanks for setting me straight. I'd love to live in a world where I don't have to worry about my things being stolen... but that isn't the world we live in and it's naive to say otherwise.

Yes, but it still doesn't make it the victim's fault it got stolen. It was the fault of the person who chose to take something that is not his.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
It pretty much is his fault the car was stolen and I'd guess his insurance company will come to the same conclusion. If he had turned the car off he would still have a car, that isn't to say the thief isn't responsible either there is enough blame to go around

Oh, I guess then if I find a car running and unattended then it must be free for me to take. Also, any item anyone leaves around unattended. After all it was their fault so no blame on me. Totally not the fault of the person taking what isn't his. And don't even say you put a disclaimer, you also said it was pretty much the victim's fault.

it's totally, 100 percent the fault of the person who took what was not his. There is a difference between some one being stupid and some one being at fault

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
Damn dude that sucks. I live on the very western end of Kentucky, and I am not going to lie, I leave my car running when I run into the liquor store or something all the time.

However, as of right now, that is never going to happen again lmao. sorry for your loss OP

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently both places are full of "dumbasses" according to this thread lol.

Even ignoring the chance it can get stolen, that's very environmentally wasteful and it's not like NJ/NY even get that cold.

No body damage, but the airbags deployed and windshield cracked?

Probably took your car rallying and hit some sweet jumps.

This whole story is just stupid. Why would you steal a car just to destroy it. People confuse me.

Last edited:

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Just wanna say good on the OP for sticking around in this thread. Dunno if I'd wanna come back to my own thread if it was mostly filled with people asking the same questions. Even as someone who grew up in Indiana, I'd personally never leave my car running, but I get that it's not super uncommon in some areas.

Good luck with your situation.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
I went into my local speedway this morning to get coffee came out and my car was gone. Already filed the report with the police and they did a search and could not find it in the area. Nice Blue 2017 Honda Civic gone that easily. I left the car running but I had the remote keyfob on me and did not think these cars could get far without the Keyfob.... Boy was I wrong.

Just here to vent and hear the community stories on issues like this.
You live in Norcross OP? Lol jk thats the only speedway I know

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
My wife's car was stolen in college. When she got it back there was a dog in the trunk.
Even ignoring the chance it can get stolen, that's very environmentally wasteful and it's not like NJ/NY even get that cold.

This whole story is just stupid. Why would you steal a car just to destroy it. People confuse me.

Oh it gets cold. And hot. We have 100 degree temperature swings, on average over the course of a year. We get extremes.

Also, no one is idling for a half an hour lol.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Oh. So unlocked AND car still running. Nothing to say besides congratulations, I guess. Play stupid games etc etc. Also, I have a '15 pilot and I'm fairly certain you can leave the car running and lock the doors with the fob while outside of the car. Would be surprised if it that's not the same case with your car.

My '13 Jeep can be locked without the fob in the car. Remote start or not.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wait so did the insurance cover you OP? Cause I feel like they might be "oh u left it unlocked or what not"

Forearms

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but it still doesn't make it the victim's fault it got stolen. It was the fault of the person who chose to take something that is not his.

...it doesn't absolve the owner of negligence/responsibility in the matter, either. It was definitely the OPs fault that the car was so easily stolen.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's a solution to a problem nobody had and you can see how it can get taken of advantage of by criminals.

It truly baffles me. My ex had a car that did the push-button/fob thing, and the only practical difference I found was that I was putting the keys in the center console rather than the ignition. Wasn't an advantage to me in any way at all.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My car usually goes nuts and starts beeping if the key fob isn't in the vehicle when the engine is running (like if I leave it in my pocket while I'm scraping ice/snow off), and it won't start without it.

I'm not surprised OP thought the car was fine being left unattended and running. If it won't let you start the car, and it beeps if you take the fob out, that, combined with the "smart key" name makes it sound secure

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get the point of all this push-button start/key fob stuff. Like, what was the issue with putting your key in the ignition? What problem was being solved here?

Legit question.

It's a convenience feature. You no longer have to take a key out to unlock your door or start your car. You can just leave it in your pocket or purse and have full control over your car. It's especially helpful if you have your hands full or have kids to not have to fiddle with keys to unlock your doors.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit at the dog pilling regarding leaving the car. Maybe because i live the east coast in the city i see it all the time. Especially in the winter. People always warm up their cars.

You only fucked up by not locking the doors which honestly can happen to anyone. I can't believe stealing cars is still this easy in this day and age.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Honda has a dumb system. Hyundai doesn't let the car move until the keyfob is inside the vehicle even if the car is on.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
You only fucked up by not locking the doors which honestly can happen to anyone. I can't believe stealing cars is still this easy in this day and age.
Remember when people were breaking into cars with a tennis ball and "hotwiring" them by putting a screwdriver in the ignition and just turning it? Good times.

Tech advancement hasn't made anything harder. There's equipment out there that can clone your keyfob and enable someone to enter, start and take your car in seconds.

Time to go old school and bring back the Club. Or whatever they call that other thing that locks your brake pedal upright, so you can push it down to start the car or shift out of park.

Last edited:

Alvaro

Feb 13, 2019
Damn, i never leave my car running because i think something like this is going to happen to me.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

That one was precious. The other day a guy enthusiastically posted about how he was going to finally take the dive and just go to China. A few days later, he posts a panicky thread about how he's lost and afraid in China and longed deeply for home. Lol. One of the best laughs I've had on Era yet.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Legit question.
convenience, duh. no need to touch or handle a key.
this. my friends car was stolen for a quick joyride and the description afterward was not pretty. engine was wrecked, wheels and tires, suspension, trim interior and exterior, all damaged. his insurance classified it as totaled, even though it was not crashed. all in just a few hours.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

its not their fault it got stolen, but the insurance may well have clauses exempting cover in such cases - like if you leave your car unlocked too.

pretty sure my car doesn't shut off if you remove the key from inside the car - just would refuse to start once you stop it after driving off. I might check later what happens if I try and lock the car from outside leaving the engine running (not something I'd do but now I'm curious)

Oct 27, 2017
Just going to repeat this, idiling your like this is against the law and a citable offense in most states because of theft and environmental concerns. While OP is a victim, there is clear negligence on his behalf for which he is responsible for.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

I mean it only makes sense. You can't have a car cutting off in the middle of interstate traffic just because a key fob's battery dies.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Do you leave your house unlocked when you leave it?

Where did I say you shouldn't lock your car? I said that it is not the fault of the victim when some one chooses to take something that is not theirs. Just cause the victim made it easy is not an excuse one bit! With how untrustworthy people are it is stupid to leave the car running but don't confuse stupidity with at fault.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
...it doesn't absolve the owner of negligence/responsibility in the matter, either. It was definitely the OPs fault that the car was so easily stolen.

That does not make it his fault it was stolen. Do you people blame the woman when she gets raped cause she wore a skirt? I mean she made it "easy". /s

Point is the fault when some one does something they should not do is 100 percent on them. They are the ones who chose to take something that is not theirs. Just cause it was easy was absolutely no fucking excuse. It's not theirs, they should not take it. People should be able to trust other people. Just cause they cannot does not make them at fault for the person being untrustworthy.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Car will not lock while running with the keys out of it.
Yes. Yes you can lock the door with the car running. It's affectionately called "police mode." Every fob has a physical key in it for situations where you need to get into the vehicle if the fob isn't allowing you access. This is why you still have key holes in the doors and trunk.

You lock the doors with the physical latch(not the electronic switch) and then use the key to lock the driver's door. To unlock, you break out the key again.

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes. Yes you can lock the door with the car running. It's affectionately called "police mode." Every fob has a physical key in it for situations where you need to get into the vehicle if the fob isn't allowing you access. This is why you still have key holes in the doors and trunk.

You lock the doors with the physical latch(not the electronic switch) and then use the key to lock the driver's door. To unlock, you break out the key again.

My 2017 civic ext has zero key holes.

Edit:
Actually after doing some searching you are correct I had no idea I even had a key hole hidden on the drivers door.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That does not make it his fault it was stolen. Do you people blame the woman when she gets raped cause she wore a skirt? I mean she made it "easy". /s

Point is the fault when some one does something they should not do is 100 percent on them. They are the ones who chose to take something that is not theirs. Just cause it was easy was absolutely no fucking excuse. It's not theirs, they should not take it. People should be able to trust other people. Just cause they cannot does not make them at fault for the person being untrustworthy.

It can be two things. The theft is 100% the fault of the criminal. But the instigating boo boo was definitely on OP.

Philosophically, sure, the OP's hands are clean. Pragmatically, though, the situation speaks for itself; it's unwise to assume the rest of the world has good intentions. I've been there. I learned my lesson and didn't make the same mistake again. I believe that's the only point people were trying to make, though I admit by this point it is well-trodden ground.