• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Not really. Airbags can deploy in minor wrecks. Seeing how new the car is, and because theres no pictures, Id bet on the car being fixable.
Airbags cost thousands to replace. But that's not the main cost. The cost related to the SRS system(again super expensive), new seatbelts(they lock up), and the labor involved to get the car fixed back to factory spec is extremely expensive. It can go up to 10k to fix the airbag system in a car. A 2017 civic was not that expensive new. let alone used and a couple of years old.

Oct 25, 2017
I believe I'm good since no keys were left in the car. And I have GAP for the totaled vehicle.

I don't want to rub salt in the wounds, but just make sure you double-check the GAP policy. I manage a credit union and have had a former GAP provider that only did GAP to a certain percentage of the LTV. GAP is usually marketed as a "don't worry you'll be covered under any circumstance!" where in reality that isn't necessarily true.

I know you have a lot going on right now. I would make grabbing that GAP policy among your top priorities.

Best of luck.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Airbags cost thousands to replace. But that's not the main cost. The cost related to the SRS system(again super expensive), new seatbelts(they lock up), and the labor involved to get the car fixed back to factory spec is extremely expensive. It can go up to 10k to fix the airbag system in a car. A 2017 civic was not that expensive new. let alone used and a couple of years old.

Thats also assuming that all the all the airbags went off. I also doubt the seatbelts need to need replaced. Though without pictueres its hard to tell.

I would bet its not totalled since OP said it didnt look like it ran into anything.

crimsonlink

Oct 29, 2017
Shit that sucks. I do it all the time but only in places I know and places that have cameras. Florida here because fuck turning off the AC in the heat. Never for more than 5 mins though.

But as the OP has experienced, 2 mins is plenty. I'll have to be careful.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
you left the car running....did you even bother to lock the doors? this forum never ceases to amaze me.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what they did exactly. They found the car near some railroad tracks. The car didn't look like it was ran into anything... air bags just busted and cracked windshield.
No body damage, but the airbags deployed and windshield cracked?

Probably took your car rallying and hit some sweet jumps.

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
When was voiding my insurance confirmed? Are you my insurance agent?

You cannot leave your house unlocked, get robbed and claim it on insurance. What sort of incredible insurance do you have that will give you money for making your car easier to rob? Good luck to you, but you have made a simply catastrophic mistake. And you will be extraordinarily lucky to get any money for it.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who owns a current gen Honda, here's a note for the future if you do get a replacement somehow: In the system settings you can turn on Walk Away Auto Lock. With the key fob on you, once you walk 2.5 meters away from the car it will automatically lock itself.

Doesn't really help you in your current situation, I know. Sorry that happened to you, op.

screen-shot-2016-03-06-at-11-48-24-am-png.5804

And yes, it'll still work if the car is running, as long as it detects that the key fob is not within the 2.5m vicinity of the car.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm the first to give people shit when obvious stupid stuff happens, but leaving your car on is normal in lots of places. My dad never locks his car and laughs at me when I lock my apartment when I simply go and get mail.

In some places I lock my car, in others I don't. Not saying OP shouldn't have locked his car, but I can understand the mentality of "who the fuck is going to jack a car when I'm right here"

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
You cannot leave your house unlocked, get robbed and claim it on insurance. What sort of incredible insurance do you have that will give you money for making your car easier to rob? Good luck to you, but you have made a simply catastrophic mistake. And you will be extraordinarily lucky to get any money for it.
Yeah, insurance companies will find all sorts of reasons not to pay out these days.

Had a friend total his car while driving in wet conditions on the highway. They said he's completely at fault for driving too fast for the conditions and didnt give him a dime.

If they determine you're at fault, you're normally screwed.

I'm the first to give people shit when obvious stupid stuff happens, but leaving your car on is normal in lots of places. My dad never locks his car and laughs at me when I lock my apartment when I simply go and get mail.

In some places I lock my car, in others I don't. Not saying OP shouldn't have locked his car, but I can understand the mentality of "who the fuck is going to jack a car when I'm right here"
If there's no one else close by, I lock my door if I'm just running to the garage or taking out the garbage or something. Front door, side, back, does not matter. If there's no one there to keep track I lock that shit up.

..and I live in one of the quietest neighborhoods in the area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Simplegamer

Simplegamer

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Years ago I worked at a gas station and people would leave their cars running all the time. One day I was chatting with a regular customer and when he left he came running back in a minute later saying his car was stolen. He had left it running and someone had driven off. As he was about to call the cops the guy came back and started apologizing. Apparently they had the same car and he had thought it was his. I never saw that guy leave his car running again after that.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Did you think the car was just going to turn off if it gets too far from your key fob? That would be a dangerous and stupid feature.
I honestly would expect that to be the case. I have this system in place for my vehicle (a Mini Cooper) and figured it would shut off the engine if I got far enough away with the key in my pocket.

I generally leave it running when getting the mail out of the mailbox at my apartment complex (5-10 feet away) and have left it running when I go upstairs if I forgot something, but I would never do it in a scenario outside of my own apartment complex I don't think. I feel for ya, OP -- it's an unfortunate turn of events.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Also, didn't your car beep incessantly while it was running and the key fob wasn't near it? It should have made a really loud beeping sound. That's what my Honda does when I walk away from it while it's running and that's what keeps me from ever doing it. It's annoying.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Literal victim blaming all over this thread. If this were physical assault half the posters here would be banned.

OP
OP
Simplegamer

Simplegamer

Oct 26, 2017
Also, didn't your car beep incessantly while it was running and the key fob wasn't near it? It should have made a really loud beeping sound. That's what my Honda does when I walk away from it while it's running and that's what keeps me from ever doing it. It's annoying.
Yes, but I didn't know pressing the lock button on the key fob while it's running doesn't lock the car.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017

I've helped a friend who went through something like this recently, so I only know as far as we were able to research after he was found to be out of luck.

As a heads up, the other posters are correct (for the US at least). If you ever leave your car unlocked and it is stolen, US auto insurance will only maybe cover it if you have Comprehensive coverage. That is only assuming you have one of the major providers that include that as part of their comprehensive coverage. Even then, it will count as a comprehensive claim and likely noticeably increase your rates, moreso than other comprehensive claims, and much more than a normal car theft claim.

House insurance in the US does not cover theft without forced entry. An ex having a key and wrecking all of your stuff will lead to most insurance claims being denied, and in some cases outright cancelled. A random opportunist that walks into your house and takes all of your stuff will likely just lead to your claim being rejected immediately upon report of no forced entry.

I cannot speak to non-US policies, but if you are a resident of the US, DO NOT leave your cars or homes unlocked.

Edit: Just to clarify: "Normal" or not for your area, doing so is very misguided at best, and self-neglectful at worst. It takes seconds to lock/unlock a door for you, and can add crucial minutes for someone trying to break in, plus ensures you can file your insurance claims. Do not leave it unlocked.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
but it isnt, and the whole situation wouldn't happen if he didnt left his car running alone
I'm not sure what 10 pages of people expressing shock that the car was left running is supposed to accomplish. I think OP has already admitted this. Still doesn't make someone stealing his less shitty.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If the insured was complicit in a conspiracy to have the car stolen, then yes his insurance will throw him out and probably try to sue the insurey, but most insurance does cover theft of your car, even if you accidentally left the key in the ignition sir.

His rates will probably go up however.

Edit: If he has Comprehensive coverage and not just collison.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Hope the suspects get caught, make them pay for the repairs or a new car

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to be mean OP, but when I read "I left the car running",

I just can't

I cannot

Edit: Kept reading and I see that you got your car back, lesson learnt at least.

Last edited:

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
If the insured was complicit in a conspiracy to have the car stolen, then yes his insurance will throw him out and probably try to sue the insurey, but most insurance does cover theft of your car, even if you accidentally left the key in the ignition sir.

His rates will probably go up however.

Edit: If he has Comprehensive coverage and not just collison.

Not the same thing, but I know somebody whose house was robbed and they had spare keys stolen for both cars. They rang insurance to claim and were told "It's your fault if the cars get robbed so they aren't covered by insurance if they're robbed."

Now, insurance companies are bastards, thankfully his car is back, but he will not be claiming shit I would think.

Gangrel

Oct 25, 2017
Fyi, if you have the fob in your pocket you can leave the car running while parked.

Edit: locked

Last edited:

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

What? Are you saying a civic ex-t is $10,000 new lol. That's car costs over 20,000 new. 2017 Used models can be had with high miles for 10-12k but you are way off base on new Honda Civic pricing.

cirr

Oct 26, 2017
Northern VA
I once did something like this years ago. I still can't believe I was numb-skulled enough to do it.

I was meeting a friend at a local place for pho. I drove over to the location and met him inside. I'm fairly absent-minded on account of my adhd so I usually check myself for wallet/keys/phone whenever i go out. I checked my pockets and only found my wallet/phone, then started panicking but I didn't want to bring it to his attention that something was wrong. Finished the meal and we parted ways. I saw my car in the parking lot right in front of me. Finally figured 'maybe I left them inside? hope the door is unlocked'. Then opened the door. Car was still running with keys in the ignition and I didn't even hear it.

Was probably away from it for about 40 minutes.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Car will not lock while running with the keys out of it.
Oh. So unlocked AND car still running. Nothing to say besides congratulations, I guess. Play stupid games etc etc. Also, I have a '15 pilot and I'm fairly certain you can leave the car running and lock the doors with the fob while outside of the car. Would be surprised if it that's not the same case with your car.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
The only time I leave my car running is if I pull out of my garage and the trash bin is ready to go back in the garage. it just feels wrong to leave it on.

OP
OP
Simplegamer

Simplegamer

Oct 26, 2017
Oh. So unlocked AND car still running. Nothing to say besides congratulations, I guess. Play stupid games etc etc. Also, I have a '15 pilot and I'm fairly certain you can leave the car running and lock the doors with the fob while outside of the car. Would be surprised if it that's not the same case with your car.

Its not the same case unfortunately.

Nov 7, 2017
This sounds a bit fishy... are you sure you didnt pay someone to steal your car? And this thread is just more proof for the insurance??

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Thats also assuming that all the all the airbags went off. I also doubt the seatbelts need to need replaced. Though without pictueres its hard to tell.

I would bet its not totalled since OP said it didnt look like it ran into anything.
Any car that's involved in accident will lock the seat belts to maximize the protection of the occupants. Those have to be replaced as the lock is permanent. Some cars can lock the seatbelt depending of there is passenger using the seatbelt, but the majority of car will lock all the seatbelts.
What? Are you saying a civic ex-t is $10,000 new lol. That's car costs over 20,000 new. 2017 Used models can be had with high miles for 10-12k but you are way off base on new Honda Civic pricing.
You misunderstood my post. I was referring to general cost of a car, and the not the 10k to replace the airbags among other things. But you are right. That's why I said the car will be totaled. If a used 2017 model can be had for 12-15k, then the insurance company will total the car. Also, for the airbags to deploy there must have been an immense force of some kind to trip it. There could be damage underneath the car that's not visible.

KillGore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
As someone who owns a current gen Honda, here's a note for the future if you do get a replacement somehow: In the system settings you can turn on Walk Away Auto Lock. With the key fob on you, once you walk 2.5 meters away from the car it will automatically lock itself.

Doesn't really help you in your current situation, I know. Sorry that happened to you, op.

screen-shot-2016-03-06-at-11-48-24-am-png.5804

And yes, it'll still work if the car is running, as long as it detects that the key fob is not within the 2.5m vicinity of the car.

Oh man, seeing this makes me even sadder for the OP. Daaaamn. Still, good to know.