• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Announced earlier today by one of the developers, a playable build of Card Saga Wars will be released to the public sometime this week.

What is Card Saga Wars?

Card Saga Wars is an crossover fighting game using the MUGEN engine. It was announced and shown off a very long time ago (up to 11 years) and was being developed by only 2 people. It's high quality sprite work and crossover aspect made it very anticipated.A demo was promised but never released until now.

Sprite Work (done by ahruon):
tumblr_n9s4zjY15n1riuctjo1_r1_400.png

tumblr_n9s4zjY15n1riuctjo3_r1_400.png

tumblr_n9s4zjY15n1riuctjo2_r1_400.png

tumblr_n9s4zjY15n1riuctjo4_r1_400.png

tumblr_n9s4zjY15n1riuctjo5_r1_250.png

GIFS

VIDEOS: (These are very old so excuse the quality):

I've known and wanted to play this for years so, due to my excitement, I figured I'd make a thread and see what other people think.

Last edited:

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Gotta download ultrafast since it's claiming to be taken down by every company.

Also, shame that's just an old build. It would be awesome if they pleaded to continue with it or even transforming the game into a full comercial game.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
A bit of a drive by, but I couldn't help but read the title as 'Carl Sagan Wars'.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Since this final demo is going to initially have 4 characters and be updated up to 12. That's a decent sized roster considering everything.

I mean putting things into perspective Street Fighter 2 Turbo had 12 characters too.

EdgeWilder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow i was soo hyped for this game when i first heard about it rewatched there trailers soo many times. CAnt wait to finally try it

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FOOD!

I've been waiting for news since this was first announced
I've been stariving for years

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Keep in mind the reason why Card Saga Wars was put on an hiatus for 7 years was because Dani Oliver (Ahruon) worked for Gameloft Madrid and because of that reason. His professional obligation would be a conflict of interest with his fan projects especially since they have licensed characters from other IPs.

I know it's unfortunate he lost his job but as a result a small portion of Card Saga Wars will see the light of day even if it's going to be a 12 character demo.

Ahruon is an incredible sprite artist. Any company that specializes in 2D sprite work needs to hire this guy.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Keep in mind the reason why Card Saga Wars was put on an hiatus for 7 years was because Dani Oliver (Ahruon) worked for Gameloft Madrid and because of that reason. His professional obligation would be a conflict of interest with his fan projects especially since they have licensed characters from other IPs.

I know it's unfortunate he lost his job but as a result a small portion of Card Saga Wars will see the light of day even if it's going to be a 12 character demo.

Ahruon is an incredible sprite artist. Any company that specializes in 2D sprite work needs to hire this guy.

I had no idea this was the case. I periodically remember this game exists and search around for a bit before inevitably seeing nothing new.

The fact that it is coming out at all at this point is amazing!

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I only know of 6 of the 12 characters coming.

Crono
Link
Samus
KOS-MOS
Mega Man X
Valkyrie

I have no idea who the other remaining 6 characters are so I look forward to the surprise.

EDIT: I forgot about Cloud, so that makes 7. Still even with a small roster of 12 it will be an amazing crossover fighter.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man just about 2 weeks ago I was on my annual search for updates about this. Didn't know about what make them stop until now. Happy that they decided to finally rlease something even if they mmost likely won't finish the full project, so it's bittersweet, but amazing achievement for such a small team! Ahuron and Orkimides the GOATS.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking about this game recently, there hasn't been news since months (or years) ago. Still looks beautiful

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just looking at the roster you can tell the game was started 11 years ago.

When was the last time Soma felt relevant?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only know of 6 of the 12 characters coming.

Crono
Link
Samus
KOS-MOS
Mega Man X
Valkyrie

I have no idea who the other remaining 6 characters are so I look forward to the surprise.

EDIT: I forgot about Cloud, so that makes 7. Still even with a small roster of 12 it will be an amazing crossover fighter.
The dude in the white coat is Soma from the Castlevania Aria & Dawn of Sorrow games
Surely you recognize Master Chief.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The dude in the white coat is Soma from the Castlevania Aria & Dawn of Sorrow games
Surely you recognize Master Chief.

I'm not saying I don't recognize who those characters are but I mean in terms of the characters being completed and finalized to a playable state.

A lot of sprite work of the project was shown over the years are only select few characters were actually finished in terms of animations and functional gameplay.

So I mean for all we know the only actual finished characters were the ones demonstrated in video footage. At least I'd hope that is the case.

Last edited:

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought this was just some shit a dude made gifs/mugen silly stuff out of LOL shit is hyper ancient

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Best case scenario the 12 characters all represent one franchise for best diversity.

So far each of the characters shown off at least shown in video footage were all from their own unique series with no overlap.

OP
OP
DatManOvaDer

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Best case scenario the 12 characters all represent one franchise for best diversity.

So far each of the characters shown off at least shown in video footage were all from their own unique series with no overlap.
I'm thinking its gonna be:
X
KOSMOS
Link
Crono
Samus
Master Chief
Valkyrie
Soma
Bowser
Ivy
Lenneth
Chun Li

Reszo

Oct 31, 2017
Yooooo I remember this. I was thinking about this a couple months ago. This was announced when I was really into MUGEN. Looking forward to playing this.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow! I haven't heard anything about this game in yeeaaars. I was so interested in it too and I figured it was cancelled all this time.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow really? I was sure this would never see the light of the day! It's pretty risky of them not to release all the chars at once, tho.

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm thinking there's more chance of KOS-MOS being announced for Smash than this surviving the C&D machine for long, now that the launch has been announced for all Nintendo's, Square-Enix's and Namco-Bandai's lawyers to see on Twitter. Not the smartest decision if you aren't announcing an immediate release.

Plus: Holy lord, this makes me feel old.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this earlier today and it's still a crazy surprise. Been following Ahruon for ages and this suddenly appearing out of nowhere is a great surprise. Looks like they're finally ready to move on from it and just let people play with what they have... but the most interesting thing is that Ahruon mentions a new project that they can actually make a living off of. With so much polish and care going into a passion project I really look forward to what he and Orkimedes make when they don't have to worry about C&Ds or a crummy old engine.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Ive been waiting for this ever since I saw KOS-MOS in it nearly a decade ago. Holy shite!

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
In utter disbelief it's actually coming out, even if only a half-finished version. This is legit the holy grail of mugen games hands down.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I almost lost my shit when I heard about this earlier today. This was my dream crossover game ages ago and it's finally coming out. Amazing.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Crazy, I made a thread on this on the old place years and years ago, I absolutely adore the sprite work in this.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Who could've imagined when they started work on this that Link x Cloud x Mega Man would actually happen in a retail game...

Cool that this is finally releasing in some form. Animation/spritework quality is crazy for a two-man fan project.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Glad to see that the fruits of Ahruon and Ork's labour will be able to be enjoyed in the end after all. It should also help get their names out there for when they inevitably announce their next, hopefully monetisable project.

OP
OP
DatManOvaDer

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the full roster of completed characters are:
X
Link
KOS-MOS
Cloud
Samus
Master Chief
Crono
Lenneth
Valkure
Etna
Ivy

All 100 assist characters are also included.

It's also worth noting that other characters who aren't finished will be included in the files and can be played via file editing.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
So representation of Mega Man X, Legend of Zelda, Chrono Trigger, Xenosaga, Soul Calibur, Halo, Metroid, Valkyrie Profile, Valkyrie no Densetsu, Disgaea, Castlevania, and Final Fantasy.

It's nice and diverse. I like it! A bit of a JRPG heavy cast but I'm okay with it.