• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't mind Cardi B but release a full length already. The best thing she's contributed thus far is hoes don't get cold movement.

Oct 25, 2017
(Salutes)

Hey if hip hop culture wants to be stuck in it's embarrassing 80's hair metal phase, meaningless paint by the numbers lyrics and one hot song makes an album by fake actors

I'll be waiting for Nirvana to show up and destroy the current sound and truely change the medium
It happens music goes in cycles

But this shit was always going on in hip hop, and music in general.

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
it's kind of amazing how she went from love and hip hop to actually putting out chart topping hits. Her music's not for me, but I respect the hustle.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
How long will her run last?
giphy.gif

Hahaha perfect.

How long have you been waiting for the perfect time to unleash this gif.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like kind of a silly statistic if it counts songs a person is just featured on.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
From stripper to outdoing Beyoncé. Hell of a story.

She's not what I'm gonna reach for when I got the headphones on, but I'm happy for her anyway.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alright I'm gonna listen to these and give my first impressions from bottom to top.

Bodak Yellow - the beat is a little minimal for my tastes, her verse is in the spotlight and its alright? But the cadence of it feels off to me, it feels dragged out. (I tried it and it actually sounds a hell of a lot better to me at 1.25x) But I can appreciate its slow for the club experience of singing along.

Bartier Cardi - Started off promising but I didn't like the slow parts where the final word of the lyric is repeated. Overall pretty decent but long again for no reason. Why is 21 savage even in this song though

Motorsport - Is this a parody song? Lol. Ironically Cardi's verse is the only thing that sounds like effort went into it

G Eazy - waaaaaaay too repetitive and none of the verses were interesting

Finesse - This was great! Nice peppy beat and I liked seeing a different, lighter side of Cardi. Would actually like to see more Cardi and less Bruno in this one.

Overall I didn't like any of the songs to the point I want to listen to them again and motorsport is garbage and I see why Finesse has the #1. Gave her a chance and I'm just not into Cardi's flavor of hiphop

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
You can't knock her for having no talent and then compliment her hustle. She clearly has some talent and her hustle helped show it. All the hustle in the world wont get you to this point if you don't have talent to back it up.

There are plenty of people who are wildly successful despite having no talent whatsoever. If anything, social media has made it easy for untalented people to have cult followings. Why people are drawn to the Cardi B's and Kardashians and Jake Pauls of the world is beyond me.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, as much as I love this forum, music discussions always ends up looking like a music video on YouTube's comment section back in 2010.

Makes me feel less old at least, so there's that. Good for Cardi. Bodak Yellow slaps

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not really my thing but many dudes have had great sucess in making hip hop with superficial lyrics about being wealthy/being the shit/sex for over three decades, so only fair women get the chance to as well in bigger numbers I guess

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not gonna comment much on any female ascendance in the music industry, being a dude and all.

I will say that her lyrics are simple, fun to follow, and fun to repeat. It's nice to have a new fresh face in Hip-Hop.

It's entirely up to her if she wants to always be known for Bodak or have serious longevity. Marketing, advertising, and features will only get you so far.

Oct 25, 2017
not really my thing but many dudes have had great sucess in making hip hop with superficial lyrics about being wealthy/being the shit/sex for over three decades, so only fair women get the chance to as well in bigger numbers I guess

This is why I like her stuff. It's this brag rap stuff that dudes have been doing forever, but it's a female instead. It's not watered down or anything, she's out there playing the same game as all the guys, and I can respect that.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind some of the tracks she's in (Finesse is great), but the state of 'popular' music can be a tad depressing these days. We need Lauryn Hill to come back and offer hits with real lyrical potency and meaningful content.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Im impressed she managed to do it without a lick of talent. Can't knock the hustle though. Something tells me she isn't going to have a lot of longevity.

While I believe she has a lot of talent, popular music has never, in the history of popular music, been only been about talent. And since the 80s, you don't really need talent at all.

It's chiefly about image.

And Cardi B has a clear, concise, relatable image that doesn't exist right now.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
While I believe she has a lot of talent, popular music has never, in the history of popular music, been only been about talent. And since the 80s, you don't really need talent at all.

It's chiefly about image.

And Cardi B has a clear, concise, relatable image that doesn't exist right now.

I mean, a strong black female rapper doesn't strike me as an image that is really lacking in quantity, it just so happens to be that she is the most predominant one at this point in time. Considering how popular Nicki Minaj was and still is, not mentioning all the other female MC's out there, I still don't see why she is being held up as the omega.

As for the "ride the dick" like, my girl Babs from P. Diddy's Da Band dropped a similar line almost two decades ago.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
as an old and bitter person i feel that charts are completely meaningless now that no one really buys music anymore.

i still have some johnny cash on vinyl.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Come on guys Bodak Yellow is not bad. Cardi B is a great rapper who is gonna make a dope album this year (probably) This Cardi B slander hurts my soul lol

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maaan....why does chart topping rap always bring out the most hateful people?
I don't even really care for Cardi's music but I ain't this mad over it.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Good for her.

Didn't know Migos were that high....

Also why are some people shitting on her featuring? I don't get it.

She def put more work in than G Easy for example

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, a strong black female rapper doesn't strike me as an image that is really lacking in quantity, it just so happens to be that she is the most predominant one at this point in time. Considering how popular Nicki Minaj was and still is, not mentioning all the other female MC's out there, I still don't see why she is being held up as the omega.

As for the "ride the dick" like, my girl Babs from P. Diddy's Da Band dropped a similar line almost two decades ago.

She's not only a strong black female rapper. If she was, Bodak Yellow would have gotten zero airplay and zero push from her label.

Her image consists of the hundreds of hours of content she created on Vine and Instagram and the persona she created on her reality TV show. Those years + decent music that falls in line with her chosen image + her hustle = 5 songs on the charts.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Cardi is not as pretty as Beyonce and Rihanna but she spits some hot fire.

Anybody who could not see the pure, concentrated awesomeness of Bodak Yellow should return their ears at once because they don't deserve them.