• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
Or maybe it's because Gambino's early work was corny trash where he talked about his Asian feitsh on every song?

Seriously. Everything pre-Awaken my love was dripping with a weird entitlement and misogyny. I don't even like AML that much. Atlanta is a very good show and deserves all of its success, but Dude's music feels like a kind of desperate call for everyone to recognize how talented he is.

Oct 25, 2017
In the mid 00's lupe fiasco, Common could be played on the radio. And First 3 album ye was happening. If you like now that's fine and I am by no mean saying that this definitively makes it better than now. But I kinda like Lupe and Common more than...a lot of modern popular artists on the radio. So its a preference thing

This stuff still exists now, it's just evolved some.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
This stuff still exists now, it's just evolved some.
Oh it does
Both of the two people mention still release albums even. And while people who worked with common like J dilla aren't still with us, people inspired by him like madlib and people inspired by madlib are certainly still around.
But what people say is the " evolution of something " tends to be ... subjective. And some people prefer some evolutions more than others

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Rapsody released maybe the best hip-hop album of last year and is leagues more talented than Cardi B, and you're not going to see her singles in the top ten anytime soon, because the top ten singles don't truly reflect the talent pool out there. And it's always been that way.
Never heard of her. She is pretty good!

And yeah, artists like her will never be really big. Just like Little Simz and Noname unfortunately.

BushidoBro

Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing her on Love & Hip Hop a year or so ago and pretty much labeled her as 'aspiring female rapper #496540'. Seeing her name pop up everywhere over the last few months has had me like

giphy.gif

I fuck with Bodak Yellow tho

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
She and Bruno go together so smoothly on Finesse. I could listen to that forever.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Okay I guess this is the moment I have to actually listen to Cardi because I do not listen to radio

This is not very good

I am listening to bodak yellow and I don't like it

Naked Koopa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just looked her verse up on youtube in no limit.

Naked girl, money, slang.

It really evolved during those last 20 years..

Oh well, to each its own.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Happy for her success, not super familiar with her but I have listened to Bodak Yellow, Motorsport, and Finesse and liked them all.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
For those looking for a more lyrical spectrum of female hip hop from 2017, y'all know Rapsody just dropped Laila's Wisdom right? Produced by 9th Wonder at that. Nitty Scott also with Creature. And Ruby Ibara with Circa91. Yani Mo also from the ATL dropped her album this year. For those that have that Golden Age love from the 90s, Lady of Rage had a dope ass feature on MC Eiht's recent LP. "Heart Cold" from "Which Way Iz West"

Cardi B just is a different spectrum of Hip Hop and might not be for y'all tastes. It'll be a while, if ever, that we get another Lauryn type of superstar that caters to everybody on that level.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
For those looking for a more lyrical spectrum of female hip hop from 2017, y'all know Rapsody just dropped Laila's Wisdom right? Produced by 9th Wonder at that. Nitty Scott also with Creature. And Ruby Ibara with Circa91. Yani Mo also from the ATL dropped her album this year. For those that have that Golden Age love from the 90s, Lady of Rage had a dope ass feature on MC Eiht's recent LP. "Heart Cold" from "Which Way Iz West"

Cardi B just is a different spectrum of Hip Hop and might not be for y'all tastes. It'll be a while if ever that we get another Lauryn type of superstar that caters to everybody on that level.

How can you not drop Noname.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wonder why she gets so much hate but everyone is ok with random male rapper #359 who makes it big for a few months

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't call any of them artists. Performers/entertainers, sure.

Wonder if Cardi paid the girl she stole Bartier Cardi from.....

First off, there is nothing lowly or less than in being a performer under being an artist. You should never be taken aback by a mere performer being "mistaken" as an artist.

But lets get things clear: A performer is someone like Kristen Chenoweth (Glinda in Wicked) or Renee Elise Goldsbery from Hamilton. You're presenting written material for an audience at a level beyond what the majority of humans can achieve.

Beyoncé and Rihanna do that, too, with the material given to them, but that's about the least amount of work pop stars like them put into their projects and their careers. Rihanna now and Beyoncé in the entirety of her career have a hand in every level of the process that goes into making the product that is them from the lighting to the art to the costume to the audio production to the direction of their sound to their promotional packages and approaches to the music videos to... Everything.

In fact, that's the root of their longevity. It's the root of the longevity of every musical artist going back to the rock era of the 50s. What they have done and achieved isn't unusual. Artists like Barbra Streisand and Diana Ross laid down the track. And they wrote very little and played no instrument.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No wonder, that's actually music unlike that what Cardi B tries to do. :P

Some other recommendations for actually talented female rappers:

i wonder why she gets so much hate but everyone is ok with random male rapper #359 who makes it big for a few months
Oh, you don't know how much I hate Migos, Lil Pump and what else those dudes call themselves. Different names, same shit.
This has nothing to do with her gender.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of dope shit in the 00s idk why people keep clowning the decade