• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
mueller-green-fitted-wrist-brace.jpg

I'm still waking up with stiff hands and pain even with the night brace.

I wear these during the day.

Get a nerve study done, find out what's going on. It won't tell you if you have arthritis but it will definitely tell you if you have carpal tunnel or any other nerve issue and how severe it is.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I have an EMG set up a month from now. The US medical system is so damn slow...

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
If you ever have surgery, op, don't let them do exercises you aren't comfortable with during therapy. Today was my thirde session of therapy. Every day, I've mentioned that I was afraid some of the exercises were spreadind my hand too much and were going to bust open the wound. The steri-strips they had on my had were about to fall off anyway, so after a particularly bad exercise, I looked at the hand, and they had busted it open. I go back tomorrow, but I doubt I'll be letting them do much to it for a few days. I don't want to have to go back and have it sewed up again.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Unfortunately I have so many medical issues carpal tunnel is the least of it. I basically game a lot because I'm unable to do much else and of course I develop carpal tunnel. Figures.

Is there any way I can play some PS4 action games? I'd really like to play God of War and Spider-Man but I'm honestly afraid to pick up the controller. Any adaptive controllers for the PS4?

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So is there really nothing you can do to prevent this?

I work on a computer all the time and game a lot, so this sucks. I used to get wrist pain and swelling below my thumb back when I played a lot on my 3DS but that stopped after I stopped using it.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I work on a computer 8 hours a day and then go home and play games lol I feel ya. I have had some relief by paying attention to what ways I position everything cause more issues than others. Also I got jelbows and that has helped a lot.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Unfortunately I have so many medical issues carpal tunnel is the least of it. I basically game a lot because I'm unable to do much else and of course I develop carpal tunnel. Figures.

Is there any way I can play some PS4 action games? I'd really like to play God of War and Spider-Man but I'm honestly afraid to pick up the controller. Any adaptive controllers for the PS4?

I've gamed my whole life, I don't have carpal tunnel syndrome. There are other factors that can lead to it, your body with how large your carpal tunnel canal is, some medical conditions can inflame the tendons in the area squeezing the nerve. I wish I could help with how to play, hopefully this is something that's reversible if it is just a carpal Tunnel issue, but if there is more it can be more complicated. I feel for you, I can't imagine not being able to do what I love. Good luck.

So is there really nothing you can do to prevent this?

I work on a computer all the time and game a lot, so this sucks. I used to get wrist pain and swelling below my thumb back when I played a lot on my 3DS but that stopped after I stopped using it.

Swelling and pain isn't CTS, you are doing something to your muscles. CTS is numbness and tingling on your fingers and hand. At severe levels you will have weakness, the feeling may radiate up your arm as a dull ache. But it isn't mechanical wrist pain.

There are ways to help prevent CTS but like I said above there are sometimes factors that are out of your control. Repetitive wrist motion can cause it, people on computers, hair dressers, and so on develop CTS more than other professions. Wearing wrist splints at night or even on the job if you can manage it could help.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've gamed my whole life, I don't have carpal tunnel syndrome. There are other factors that can lead to it, your body with how large your carpal tunnel canal is, some medical conditions can inflame the tendons in the area squeezing the nerve. I wish I could help with how to play, hopefully this is something that's reversible if it is just a carpal Tunnel issue, but if there is more it can be more complicated. I feel for you, I can't imagine not being able to do what I love. Good luck.

Swelling and pain isn't CTS, you are doing something to your muscles. CTS is numbness and tingling on your fingers and hand. At severe levels you will have weakness, the feeling may radiate up your arm as a dull ache. But it isn't mechanical wrist pain.

There are ways to help prevent CTS but like I said above there are sometimes factors that are out of your control. Repetitive wrist motion can cause it, people on computers, hair dressers, and so on develop CTS more than other professions. Wearing wrist splints at night or even on the job if you can manage it could help.

Okay, good to know. I won't be touching my 3ds XL any time soon if ever, so I won't worry about that too much.

Back to CTS, do those vertical mouses and stuff actually help? I'm not sure if I want to wear a wrist splint if I haven't experienced any numbing just yet, but maybe for when I sleep.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Okay, good to know. I won't be touching my 3ds XL any time soon if ever, so I won't worry about that too much.

Back to CTS, do those vertical mouses and stuff actually help? I'm not sure if I want to wear a wrist splint if I haven't experienced any numbing just yet, but maybe for when I sleep.

If you don't have symptoms no need to do anything. I'm not to familiar with a vertical mouse but I assume if it limits wrist movement it would help.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017

https://www.amazon.com/Ergonomic-Vertical-Upgraded-Adjustable-Removable/dp/B07G5RQ9KX

I bought a vertical mouse a few months ago- I can't go back to a standard mouse now, I feel the difference immediately.

I find it to be decent enough for some light gaming. I bought the one with the highest dpi I could find. It's kind of cheap but it works.