• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just remembered some of the rope stuff in The Adventure. Maybe that ones harder than Super as well. But Belmont's Revenge isn't hard.
I can confirm you can get the character related trophies in Castlevania 3 by using the passwords to start from A-01 with specific characters.
same with bloodlines. I wasn't about to replay that whole thing with Eric.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
17 pages of folks talking about something positive Konami did with the Castlevania franchise.

Brings a bloody tear to my eye.

So here's a question... let's pretend that next month at E3, Konami announces an all-new Castlevania not unlike what Capcom did with Mega Man 11.

What would you prefer... ClassicVania or IgaVania?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I echo the previous comments regarding the collection being a lot of fun. Only game that isn't really good is the first GB game, the rest are a blast to (re)play. I definitely agree with using a guide for CV2 though, I did the same for Zelda 2 and Metroid (using maps) and I find all 3 play better in that way, as I don't like these vague hints and guessing where I'm supposed to be going next. That's just me though.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
17 pages of folks talking about something positive Konami did with the Castlevania franchise.

So here's a question... let's pretend that next month at E3, Konami announces an all-new Castlevania not unlike what Capcom did with Mega Man 11.

Honestly, I'm less interested in what type of game it is and more interested in whether said game will be tied to either of the existing Castlevania timelines. That said, I'd prefer a Metroidvania, though Adventure ReBirth was so good that I wouldn't mind seeing another game in that style.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018

ClassicVania for me. Honestly around there are a lot of good Igavania clones, including Bloodstained which will release soon. But having a classic Castlevania would be amazing...sadly I'm not confident enough on modern Konami to being capable of such a project.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
ClassicVania for me. Honestly around there are a lot of good Igavania clones, including Bloodstained which will release soon. But having a classic Castlevania would be amazing...sadly I'm not confident enough on modern Konami to being capable of such a project.
I agree about modern Konami, but I do think that the most good that's come from the Castlevania series has been because of people who are passionate about the series. Iga was that, and I'm hopeful that the new person in charge is similarly passionate, regardless of which direction(s) the series goes in.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I agree about modern Konami, but I do think that the most good that's come from the Castlevania series has been because of people who are passionate about the series. Iga was that, and I'm hopeful that the new person in charge is similarly passionate, regardless of which direction(s) the series goes in.
He can be as passionate as you want, but if Konami suits won't take out the money in order to hire talented people, having a proper budget to work with I doubt something good can happen. The fact this collection exist is already a miracle, and we are talking about a re-release of eight old games which should sell ton of copies just based on the franchise name and nostalgia.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea why Konami hates money and not releases the three Rebirth games on modern eShop. Was there a damn license deal with Nintendo to let those games die in the Wii Shop?
Maybe Konami and M2 will do a ReBirth Collection? They can do the 3 Wiiware titles and finish up the unreleased Salamander ReBirth as a bonus. Maybe throw in the Pop'n Twinbee GB remake M2 did for the PSP Collection as well.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

That's a good question, and I would be down for either, but I gotta go ClassicVania right now. We have a lot of IgaVania-type games (including Bloodstained), but we don't really have a lot of new ClassicVania-type games these days.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Konami might do a reimagining of Castlevania III that's inspired by the Netflix show in visuals and story.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I'm all for the old-school linear, challenging Castlevania experience. I can have fun with the Metroidvania games as well, but I always wished they didn't also have these RPG elements with levels and stats and hundreds of weapons and whatnot, that's where you start breaking the game.

Also, enemies in Metroidvania games are mostly designed to annoy you as much as they can instead of posing an actual threat and that ain't right.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017

A mixture with several large but exploreable stages, non-trivial platforming, less but more threatening enemies, and little to no RPG/stat/loot system.

The recent The Mummy Demastered game by WayForward was actually quite good on that front. Wouldn't mind something similar but with a larger scope and budget.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
The good:

- It's a very competent comp
- It's pretty comprehensive
- Some absolutely killer titles
- Update with Japanese versions on the way

The bad:

- A few games are just outright bad

The weird:

- Display options. "Pixel Perfect" is wider than "Original", and that doesn't make sense. Did they mix the two up?
- No 4:3 without scanlines. Why.
- Borders are minimal. Could use at least one more (what in God's name is option three supposed to be?)
- Replay mode should let you stitch together an entire play through rather than where you last loaded up your save file.

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Both; you start off as a Belmont playing through linear stages (with branching paths ala CVIII or Rondo), and as you play you come across different characters who then become playable. Each character's playstyle is different, so some might play through the same linear levels but their abilities allow them to move through them in a non-linear way like a Metroidvania. Another might play the levels in reverse, trying to escape the castle with limited attacks. Definitely avoid RPG mechanics in all situations though.

If I had to pick between the two? Classic. Easily.

D-Volt

Jan 31, 2018
Castlevania: The Adventure has some of the most sadistic platforming I've played in a while. Seems like every level has at least one "pixel perfect jumps f**k you" section.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017

If I were Konami I'd have gotten IntiCreates to whip me up a Castlevania III 8-bit or GBA-generation style remaster done in the style of the Netflix show.

They already knocked it out of the park with Curse of the Moon so why not let them take a stab at the real thing.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think their best bet is classicvania for a reboot. Both have Bloodstained to compete with, but Metroidvania as a genre is much more oversaturated now. You'd not only get comparisons to older igavanias but also stuff like Hollow Knight.

There also hasn't been a really good looking Classicvania style game with modern hardware yet.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Did another run on CV1 today. Had a terrible time with the first bit in stage 4 (so many needless, stupid deaths) but managed to beat stage 5 in one life, no damage against the boss so balance was restored! Drac is taking less and less time/lives to beat... Its a really replayable game for sure, now to see what I can do with CV2 "speed run" wise.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Seemingly disappointed they didn't use the colorized GBC versions of the portable titles
228879-konami-gb-collection-vol-1-game-boy-color-screenshot-cast.jpg

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both; you start off as a Belmont playing through linear stages (with branching paths ala CVIII or Rondo), and as you play you come across different characters who then become playable. Each character's playstyle is different, so some might play through the same linear levels but their abilities allow them to move through them in a non-linear way like a Metroidvania. Another might play the levels in reverse, trying to escape the castle with limited attacks. Definitely avoid RPG mechanics in all situations though.

If I had to pick between the two? Classic. Easily.
That would be superb.

I'm board with Classic between the two. Metroidvanias are a dime a dozen and we have Bloodstained on the way.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Gotten through CV1, Kid Dracula, and Bloodlines. Pretty sweet collection and definitely at a fair price. Can't wait for a second collection!

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
He can be as passionate as you want, but if Konami suits won't take out the money in order to hire talented people, having a proper budget to work with I doubt something good can happen. The fact this collection exist is already a miracle, and we are talking about a re-release of eight old games which should sell ton of copies just based on the franchise name and nostalgia.
I understand that it's ultimately up to Konami in that sense, but I do think the right person can - with enough passion - make a case for doing something new with the series that's in line with what Konami is willing to throw at it. I'm certainly not expecting anything high-budget, of course.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So I beat every game on the collection (Switch version) aside 3. I was hoping to experience 3 with the upgraded music, but I assume that will only come in the form of a Japanese version. Is the Japanese version any worse or better otherwise? I only intend to finish these games once or twice so I just don't want to wait for nothing.

Anyways I figured I should post thoughts about the collection. I consider myself a fairly big Castlevania fan but I also rarely replay them due to the difficulty level. It's an effort to get through most of them once and they become a one and done experience for me, but they always leave a mark. With that said a few of these games I've never played, and others, not since I was a child. Save states made coming back a lot easier for taking on the challenge admittedly. Overall the emulation seems 90 percent spot on in each game, the aspect ratio settings seems weird and it honestly seems bizarre that M2 didn't include customization options (think being able to select Japanese difficulty or music in CV3 while still being in English) or that they didn't bother fixing the botched translation of Castlevania 2. I guess it just was beyond the budget of this collection. Overall, i'd rate the collection element of the game maybe a 7, no rewind, only one save state per game, and really no neat frills like coloring the Game Boy games or other things that would have been pretty simple to add. The extras are nice but stuff like videos and such would have been great too. It's a mid tier effort with solid emulation, the most important thing. Now for the games (aside 3), i'll just post quick snippets.

Castlevania

This game aged a lot better than I expected. Honestly it holds up great and is still very fun today, it's certainly the least feature rich of the series but there is a charm in how pure it is.

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest

My opinion of this game from childhood was that it was an awful slog, as an adult I respect its design a lot more but still find it too cryptic and haphazard as a design. Using a guide made my single playthrough worth it, but really the only reason I pressed through was to say I could. Decent experimental game.

Castlevania III

Loved it as a kid, waiting for the JP version to play again but I imagine it'll be great.

Super Castlevania IV

This admittedly has been my favorite original style game in the series (as someone who has not been able to play Rondo, don't hate me). My memory of it was not quite as I recall. I think a bit less of it now than I did but not significantly so. The difficulty is a lot less even than I recall, with some of the bosses being so simple that you wonder if they were designed with the new mechanics in mind, yet many of the other boss fights (Death in particular) are SO good that is makes the other fights seem that much worse. The first half of the game feels a bit too easy with the last feeling too difficult in contrast. Some of the graphical tricks haven't aged well either. That said it's still a blast to play and the amazing music and atmosphere of the game still hold just perfectly. The lead up to the final boss is still my favorite of the series. I would still say it's my favorite, but it's closer than I used to think of it.

Castlevania Bloodlines

This was always kind of the 'lost gem' to me as I never got to play it in my childhood. I recall seeing it on store shelves and wanting it so bad but just didn't have the money. I have my own Genesis copy of it these days but enjoyed being able to experience it again here. I'd say that I see the argument for Bloodlines being as good or better than Super simply because the entire game design feels a lot more even challenge wise, and overall just more advanced. With that said the aesthetic and sound element of it, while still really cool, can't match that of Super. It also seems a good bit shorter which is probably why the difficulty is even throughout. Having two characters is great, the revamped item system is also welcome and I love knowing which candles will yield a weapon. Really this one should not be missed either way, it feels like a pure return to form as if it was a lost NES game but made more modern, also using that 3 button controller to the proper extent is appreciated :p

Castlevania: The Adventure

Game is pretty trash if i'm being honest. I understand it was tough to make GB titles work on that shit screen but dang, it's just an over challenging, slow as hell game with platforming segments that basically require you to be off the platform just to make it. Thankfully Mega Man has trained me to be great at those kind of jumps, but it feel oddly sluggish and shitty in this. Really this is easily the dud of the collection but I appreciate being able to see it just to say I did.

Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge

This one is actually pretty fun and has a fun soundtrack to boot. It's still too slow to stand up to the proper entries, but worth playing through if you're a fan.

Kid Dracula

I have an interesting history with this. As a collector it took me forever to find a boxed copy of the Game Boy game and it's worth a mint, I only played it a bit there and discovered that there was in fact an NES game prior, but never released here. I always had a curiosity to try it and appreciate the inclusion for sure. I would say it's a pretty fun game but kind of just feels like bootleg Mega Man without any of the nuance that comes with it, but it makes up for some of that with charm. Still worth trying really.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Just beat castlevania 2 without a guide. I did already know about kneeling in a certain spot thanks to the classic episode of videogame nerd years ago but that was my only outside advice

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I somehow ended looping back on myself during stage 2 of adventure and back tracked all the way across the eyeball bridge only to hit the wall by the drop in/checkpoint like "hang on a tick".
Efffff this game!

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I beat every game on the collection (Switch version) aside 3. I was hoping to experience 3 with the upgraded music, but I assume that will only come in the form of a Japanese version. Is the Japanese version any worse or better otherwise? I only intend to finish these games once or twice so I just don't want to wait for nothing.

Anyways I figured I should post thoughts about the collection. I consider myself a fairly big Castlevania fan but I also rarely replay them due to the difficulty level. It's an effort to get through most of them once and they become a one and done experience for me, but they always leave a mark. With that said a few of these games I've never played, and others, not since I was a child. Save states made coming back a lot easier for taking on the challenge admittedly. Overall the emulation seems 90 percent spot on in each game, the aspect ratio settings seems weird and it honestly seems bizarre that M2 didn't include customization options (think being able to select Japanese difficulty or music in CV3 while still being in English) or that they didn't bother fixing the botched translation of Castlevania 2. I guess it just was beyond the budget of this collection. Overall, i'd rate the collection element of the game maybe a 7, no rewind, only one save state per game, and really no neat frills like coloring the Game Boy games or other things that would have been pretty simple to add. The extras are nice but stuff like videos and such would have been great too. It's a mid tier effort with solid emulation, the most important thing. Now for the games (aside 3), i'll just post quick snippets.

Castlevania

This game aged a lot better than I expected. Honestly it holds up great and is still very fun today, it's certainly the least feature rich of the series but there is a charm in how pure it is.

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest

My opinion of this game from childhood was that it was an awful slog, as an adult I respect its design a lot more but still find it too cryptic and haphazard as a design. Using a guide made my single playthrough worth it, but really the only reason I pressed through was to say I could. Decent experimental game.

Castlevania III

Loved it as a kid, waiting for the JP version to play again but I imagine it'll be great.

Super Castlevania IV

This admittedly has been my favorite original style game in the series (as someone who has not been able to play Rondo, don't hate me). My memory of it was not quite as I recall. I think a bit less of it now than I did but not significantly so. The difficulty is a lot less even than I recall, with some of the bosses being so simple that you wonder if they were designed with the new mechanics in mind, yet many of the other boss fights (Death in particular) are SO good that is makes the other fights seem that much worse. The first half of the game feels a bit too easy with the last feeling too difficult in contrast. Some of the graphical tricks haven't aged well either. That said it's still a blast to play and the amazing music and atmosphere of the game still hold just perfectly. The lead up to the final boss is still my favorite of the series. I would still say it's my favorite, but it's closer than I used to think of it.

Castlevania Bloodlines

This was always kind of the 'lost gem' to me as I never got to play it in my childhood. I recall seeing it on store shelves and wanting it so bad but just didn't have the money. I have my own Genesis copy of it these days but enjoyed being able to experience it again here. I'd say that I see the argument for Bloodlines being as good or better than Super simply because the entire game design feels a lot more even challenge wise, and overall just more advanced. With that said the aesthetic and sound element of it, while still really cool, can't match that of Super. It also seems a good bit shorter which is probably why the difficulty is even throughout. Having two characters is great, the revamped item system is also welcome and I love knowing which candles will yield a weapon. Really this one should not be missed either way, it feels like a pure return to form as if it was a lost NES game but made more modern, also using that 3 button controller to the proper extent is appreciated :p

Castlevania: The Adventure

Game is pretty trash if i'm being honest. I understand it was tough to make GB titles work on that shit screen but dang, it's just an over challenging, slow as hell game with platforming segments that basically require you to be off the platform just to make it. Thankfully Mega Man has trained me to be great at those kind of jumps, but it feel oddly sluggish and shitty in this. Really this is easily the dud of the collection but I appreciate being able to see it just to say I did.

Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge

This one is actually pretty fun and has a fun soundtrack to boot. It's still too slow to stand up to the proper entries, but worth playing through if you're a fan.

Kid Dracula

I have an interesting history with this. As a collector it took me forever to find a boxed copy of the Game Boy game and it's worth a mint, I only played it a bit there and discovered that there was in fact an NES game prior, but never released here. I always had a curiosity to try it and appreciate the inclusion for sure. I would say it's a pretty fun game but kind of just feels like bootleg Mega Man without any of the nuance that comes with it, but it makes up for some of that with charm. Still worth trying really.
It's a shame Bloodlines is locked to this collection because this is otherwise a big skip for me. Which means I'm skipping Bloodlines, too, because I ain't payin $20 for it.

Patiently awaiting Vol 2. If they put Rondo, SotN & the GBA trilogy out in a $30 volume I'm there Day 1

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the concept of Stage 3 of Castlevania: The Adventure, but the controls are so bad and your character moves so slow that every good aspect of the level is completely ruined.

This game has a number of good ideas, but the movement speed and sluggish controls ruin all of them.

It's a shame Bloodlines is locked to this collection because this is otherwise a big skip for me. Which means I'm skipping Bloodlines, too, because I ain't payin $20 for it.

Patiently awaiting Vol 2.

Bloodlines is also included in the upcoming Sega Genesis Mini if you're interested in that.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the concept of Stage 3 of Castlevania: The Adventure, but the controls are so bad and your character moves so slow that every good aspect of the level is completely ruined.

This game has a number of good ideas, but the movement speed and sluggish controls ruin all of them.
This is why I was so impressed with Belmont's Revenge tbh. It's like a redo.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
But Belmont's Revenge isn't hard.
The second to last boss is insane. I can't think of any Castlevania bosses I have more trouble with than him. The way he moves, the ways the knives can come at you and the layout of the fight area drive me up a wall. Maybe if I came in with the cross he would be much easier, but the two times I've played through the game I got the stupid holy water in the candle right before him.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The second to last boss is insane. I can't think of any Castlevania bosses I have more trouble with than him. The way he moves, the ways the knives can come at you and the layout of the fight area drive me up a wall. Maybe if I came in with the cross he would be much easier, but the two times I've played through the game I got the stupid holy water in the candle right before him.
Oh yeah. Both of the final bosses are like... you gotta learn where to stand lol

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah. Both of the final bosses are like... you gotta learn where to stand lol
Looking at a longplay of the game, I see some spots where you could stand to avoid stuff, which helps. But they're still using the axe to do most of the damage in that vid. And it's really annoying that your standing whip doesn't hit him when he's on the lower platforms, but his hurts you if you are.

Edit: This vid accurately represents my frustration with that fight using the holy water. I guess the easiest solution is to game over, go to stage select and come back in with the axe.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Almost done with Belmonts Revenge. Still not a patch on the NES games but its such a huge improvement from the first game I can't really complain. Pity that the third game isn't on the collection, that's one of the few CV games I've not played still.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017

I'd like to see a CV3 remake. I've wanted that ever since I saw all the player characters in their SOTN cameo.

Deleted member 49185

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Has anyone figured how to decrypt the PC version's game data file?
I joined the discussion group on Steam in hopes this happens. I bought the Steam version on GMG for 20% off, so I got a heck of a deal. I am almost through CV1. I am even using my Switch Pro Controller and it all controls very well. It's just the options leave a lot to be desired. I hope someone either finds out how to extract the roms in the PC release or mods the game to give you the ability to have better filters. Either way would be a win for Castevania fans and the PC community.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I did that in the last level in the spike pipes section because I'd gone to make dinner and came back lol. One of the rare times I've cursed aloud while playing a game.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
Is it possible to change the controls on the 8 bit games on the switch version? I don't like the b and a being on b and a. Fortunately Castlevania is slow enough that the games are PLAYABLE, but putting them on y and b would feel so much better.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Just finished Kid Dracula. Man, and I thought Adventure was bad. Kid Dracula is TERRIBLE. Underdeveloped abilities. Cheap enemies. Horrid boss design.