• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Man after some pretty easy bosses, here comes Slogra in Super to go to the other extreme lol. This is not a fun fight, and I feel like this guy has some BS hitboxes.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
For anyone who is discovering the greatness of Castlevania 3 for the first time, be sure to check out its unofficial sequel, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. It's not as superb as CV3 but it's still great.
Just finished Kid Dracula. Man, and I thought Adventure was bad. Kid Dracula is TERRIBLE. Underdeveloped abilities. Cheap enemies. Horrid boss design.
Half the abilities are irrelevant but the game is in no way terrible. The final level desperately needs checkpoints but I beat it on Famicom years ago with some perseverance.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Seemingly disappointed they didn't use the colorized GBC versions of the portable titles
228879-konami-gb-collection-vol-1-game-boy-color-screenshot-cast.jpg
One of the filters included in this collection for the GB games uses the Super Game Boy colour palette, right?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I joined the discussion group on Steam in hopes this happens. I bought the Steam version on GMG for 20% off, so I got a heck of a deal. I am almost through CV1. I am even using my Switch Pro Controller and it all controls very well. It's just the options leave a lot to be desired. I hope someone either finds out how to extract the roms in the PC release or mods the game to give you the ability to have better filters. Either way would be a win for Castevania fans and the PC community.
Cool keep us updated if you could :)

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Cool, didn't know that some GB games got re-released on GB Color!

It happened a lot especially in Japan. Most noteworthy is probably Link's Awakening DX. A fan recently did a version for Super Mario Land 2 that runs on native hardware too, pretty insane considering it looks better than most retail efforts.

Frozy

Oct 27, 2017
It happened a lot especially in Japan. Most noteworthy is probably Link's Awakening DX. A fan recently did a version for Super Mario Land 2 that runs on native hardware too, pretty insane considering it looks better than most retail efforts.
He recently did a version for Super Mario Land 1 as well, and is currently working on one for a game called "For the Frog the Bell Tolls".

I am a bit disappointed with this collection, due to the bugs, lack of features and lack of GBC versions for Adventure and Belmont's Revenge.
I hope they'll at least fix the bugs.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
One of the filters included in this collection for the GB games uses the Super Game Boy colour palette, right?

The Super Game Boy just swaps 4 shades of gray for 4 shades of something else, it doesn't five you a full color palette like you see in that picture.

Some GB games that came out after the SGB had special functions when put into an SGB that gave them more unique palettes, but these CV games aren't among them. I think maybe the SGB was also set up to recognize certain older games? Metroid 2 had a custom palette but it came out before the SGB did.

And yea, as explained, some games got relaunched as full color versions for GBC.

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought garlic in Simon's Quest, but I can't figure out how to move my cursor onto it so I can get the Silver Dagger. It just won't let me, unless I'm doing something wrong.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Belmonts Revenge. Am I the only one that likes the last couple of bosses? I mean, dying and then clawing your way back to the penultimate boss does suck (that's what save states are for!) but I quite like the step up in difficulty, the penultimate boss has an easy pattern and its just about attacking him as he jumps (he'll do it once per run, so its just a case of being patient + using the cross or holy water for the rest). Dracula? Its just about learning the spots where you dodge his orbs and pick your attacks accordingly, that one took a fair few tries to nail down the exact spots but once I did he became pretty easy all things considered. Loved the game, superior to the previous GB game in every way, just wish walking/climbing didn't take so damn long.

Frozy

Oct 27, 2017
Belmont's Revenge is vastly superior to The Adventure in every conceivable way. Wish that game also got the Rebirth treatment.
Unlike The Adventure, Belmont's Revenge does not "need" the Rebirth treatment.
The Adventure Rebirth is "The Adventure" in name only, and that's a good thing.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought garlic in Simon's Quest, but I can't figure out how to move my cursor onto it so I can get the Silver Dagger. It just won't let me, unless I'm doing something wrong.
The cursor for the bottom row will scroll over to the Laurels/Garlic if you keep pressing either left or right on the pad. Then you select and use it just like any other subweapon.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but that's not near the same. This was an actually released in Japan recoloring of the game. It didn't look that great but still would have been neat.
Actually, the four Konami GB Collection titles released in Japan as regular Game Boy games with Super Game Boy support. The colorized Game Boy Color versions of all four collections, oddly enough, only released in Europe. We here in the US didn't get them at all for no apparent reason.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
What are the four titles?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konami_GB_Collection
Vol. 1
Vol. 2
(Vol. 3 in Europe)
Vol. 3
(Vol. 4 in Europe)
Vol. 4
(Vol. 2 in Europe)

I just looked up a video of all the GB Collection games, and The Adventure runs notably faster in that release:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Just finished Kid Dracula. Man, and I thought Adventure was bad. Kid Dracula is TERRIBLE. Underdeveloped abilities. Cheap enemies. Horrid boss design.

I beat the game on Famicom about 15 - 20 years ago. The aesthetics are great but it feels just about as rough as Wai Wai World 2. I think the novelty of the game elevates it. It's not nearly as good as the similarly aestheticized Yume Penguin.

wilyrook

Oct 27, 2017
17 pages of folks talking about something positive Konami did with the Castlevania franchise.

Brings a bloody tear to my eye.

So here's a question... let's pretend that next month at E3, Konami announces an all-new Castlevania not unlike what Capcom did with Mega Man 11.

What would you prefer... ClassicVania or IgaVania?

a remake of Simon's Quest could be pretty cool. there's plenty of room for expanding that out to something truly epic.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Just finished Simon's Quest. I totally disagree with the people who claim you don't need a guide. While the combat isn't difficult, it's doubtful that most people could just explore and find everything you need in order to finish the game. That said, I was a bit disappointed that the achievement for completing all of the games doesn't seem to unlock unless you've completed all of the games with all characters. I was expecting it to unlock once I'd completely each game one. That said, I still plan to play through Bloodlines as Jonathan, and I still need to play through III with each of the three spirits. (I've already completed III with just Trevor.) I'd like to explore the paths in III more, and I've already completed Bloodlines many times in the past, so I won't be resorting to passwords to finish up the achievements.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I picked this up on PC, and while it's perfectly serviceable the emulation is far from perfect. I've noticed audio issues in several games (not just in CV1) and the scaling and CRT/scanline options leave a lot to be desired. Again, it's not bad per se, and I still recommend the collection, but it could have been better handled. I'm always annoyed that Retroarch has far better scaling and filtering options than these paid products from the original companies.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Almost resorted to a password to do Simon's Quest but decided to have an honest go at it. I've been 'beta testing' someone's SQ hack so I'd half memorized the routes and that was enough to get me through the game.

It's surprising how playable the game is after the first hour of grinding for hearts with default equipment, the worst part is just trying to survive the first few trips through the forest between towns. After that playing the game normally will more or less net you the hearts necessary to buy everything you need provided you don't eat shit and die. So the save state became invaluable there lol.

I went in release order so tackled The Adventure next. Ugh.
If anyone has a mild interest remaining in this game I'd like to bring up this hack that changes Christopher's walking speed to match the other games, taking it out of molasses. It's night and day to me, the game actually becomes fun.

Onto CV3.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel most of the small issues in this collections are probably due to both budget and the compilation being multi-platform. M2 largely do platform-exclusive projects, which benefits emulation accuracy for obvious reasons. My experience with my undocked Switch has been nearly flawless but I'm not surprised there are problems in other versions.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I picked this up on PC, and while it's perfectly serviceable the emulation is far from perfect. I've noticed audio issues in several games (not just in CV1) and the scaling and CRT/scanline options leave a lot to be desired. Again, it's not bad per se, and I still recommend the collection, but it could have been better handled. I'm always annoyed that Retroarch has far better scaling and filtering options than these paid products from the original companies.

M2's emulation is usually above and beyond the stuff you get via Retroarch. This is anomaly coming from them, probably due to Konami meddling.

Konami can even fuck up a collection of masterpiece games-- who knew.

I feel most of the small issues in this collections are probably due to both budget and the compilation being multi-platform. M2 largely do platform-exclusive projects, which benefits emulation accuracy for obvious reasons. My experience with my undocked Switch has been nearly flawless but I'm not surprised there are problems in other versions.

Yeah, I can't believe region options even have to be patched. Why aren't there specific borders for each game? Budget/time from Konami- guaranteed.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Super completed, and ended up using the secret in the final area to help battle Dracula lol. Now to focus on Belmont's Revenge and Kid Dracula for now.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I've completed all of the games with all characters, and I still only have 800/1000 Gamerscore on Xbox One X. The "Heir of the Belmont clan" achievement didn't pop up. Anyone else having this issue or have any tips as far as how to get this achievement?

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Just got to death on a run of CV1, and the game froze on me. Have had several other crashes and wierd audio bugs as well. This collection so badly needs a patch. Argh

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
PS4. Just froze right before I got to Death, with the sound being all messed up too. Also, a couple of crashes before starting each of the Adventure games, and the beeping noise everyone has had on CV1. Also, aspect ratio is messed up. No way to get proper 4:3 without the scanlines filter, which I really dislike. Basically all the issues I have encountered so far. Really lame. :/

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Beat CV4 last night, and I forgot how out of nowhere difficulty wise the final boss sequence is. Slogra almost feels like it's cheating.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
M2's emulation is usually above and beyond the stuff you get via Retroarch. This is anomaly coming from them, probably due to Konami meddling.

Konami can even fuck up a collection of masterpiece games-- who knew.
M2 has worked with Konami before on shmup collections on the PSP. They were amazing. I wouldn't be so quick to blame Konami here and absolve M2 of any blame. It seems to me they might simply be stretched too thin now between these collections, Sega Ages on Switch, and the Mega Drive Mini project. Among other things they are also working on.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, the vast majority of M2's prior work with Konami's been nothing short of outstanding (Playing Contra Arcade on DS a decade ago blew my mind back then), so while some things still seem completely out of character for them with this collection (I remain unconvinced that using the 1.00 CV1 ROM here was their decision alone), I imagine that yeah, they're just being stretched thin. I can't remember the last time M2's had this many known ongoing projects of a relatively decent sized scope going on at the same time.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Japan got the Famicom cart version? wtf

They did since Nintendo owns the FDS bios. They even included US CV2 over the superior Japanese version in the Japanese collection. :( but the Cart version of CV1 is easily the best version. Includes a fun easy mode and also fixed a bunch of bugs from other versions.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
M2 has worked with Konami before on shmup collections on the PSP. They were amazing. I wouldn't be so quick to blame Konami here and absolve M2 of any blame. It seems to me they might simply be stretched too thin now between these collections, Sega Ages on Switch, and the Mega Drive Mini project. Among other things they are also working on.
Ehh... I'm good with sticking the blame on Konami.
If M2 has been working on the Castlevania Collection since day one, then yeah they deserve some flack. However, I'm going to go with my gut feeling here and say that M2 was a late addition/replacement.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Castlevania 1 holds up great. I only started getting an appreciation for it last year. I used to think it was too antiquated and didn't hold up quite as well as the Mega Man games for example. But a no save states run made me discover how elegant its design was. And that still holds true one year later.

I beat 2 today and that one... Is an oddity. It's pretty interesting when playing with a map (I can't imagine doing it with no hints tbh) but the challenge is then nonexistent. Still, it was an interesting experiment that would eventually pay off a few years later so I can't hate on it.

Castlevania 3... The only version of it I've ever played for any length of time was the japanese one. I didn't think the region differences would bother me that much but... Nah, I can't do it. It just sounds like garbage when compared to my not so distant memories. I'll have to wait for them to patch it.