• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
The Rondo vs. CV4 discussion makes me somewhat sad that Chronicles isn't on the collection since it basically takes the best of both into one package.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
You mean their wireless dongle or their controllers? I think those both require the dock for the USB slot don't they?
Their primary product line is bluetooth controllers, which all work wirelessly out of the box on the Switch with no dongles. Including even a DIY kit to use an original SNES controller on Switch wirelessly.

D-Volt

Jan 31, 2018
Knowing the emulation is being handled by M2 means these games are going to run as smooth and authentically as possible. When either M2 or Digital Eclipse is involved I know I can buy with confidence. Both dev teams have shown a deep appreciation for the preservation and restoration of classic games.

Having the Japanese versions added in a free post-launch patch is icing on the cake. Take my money.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Switch review key just activated. I guess this is why my brain told me to get a whopping two hours of sleep.

Anyway, don't expect a review from me for awhile. I've been meaning to do a long write-up for these games.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately, unless the game supports it (Bloodlines & SCIV), there isn't an option to change buttons.

Worse, whip is mapped to the B & X buttons and jump is mapped to A & Y. (Switch version of course)

If you have an 8bitdo M30 (The Sega Genesis controller), whip is the "A" button and jump is the "B" button, which is pretty nice. It'll take a little finagling to get the right control scheme for SCIV/Bloodlines, but for me this is the ideal way to play.

Last edited:

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, unless the game supports it (Bloodlines & SCIV), there isn't an option to change buttons.

Worse, whip is mapped to the B & X buttons and jump is mapped to A & Y. (Switch version of course)

If you have an 8bitdo M30 (The Sega Genesis controller), whip is the "A" button and jump is the "B" button, which is pretty nice. It'll take a little finagling to get the right control scheme for SCIV/Bloodlines, but for me this is the ideal way to play.

If they're willing to do the work to add the japanese Versions, i guess adding an option for button-mapping via patch/update might not be too unrealistic.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
A friend has the Xbox One version and is showing me that it seems that the display settings are the wrong way round. Choosing "Pixel Perfect" gives a 4:3 image, while choosing "Original" gives an 8:7 image. It should be the other way round.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised this was up in EU so I could put in some time before work.
Kid Drac and Bloodlines are already doing it for me, I am pleased.

Just went through the entire e book, delicious concept art and stage design blueprints! Turns out we missed out on ninja Yoko turning up earlier in bloodlines as well as some hench looking dwarf dude.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Can anyone confirm if on PS4 you can play the other CVs other than 4 and Bloodlines with X as Jump and Square as attack???

Can't believe they'd fuck up something so simple.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

No... Not like this. M2 why, this is the most basic shit, ugh.

Jayde Six

Feb 2, 2019

I think it's suppose to be like, it allows for the button layout that the "dog bone" NES Controllers and gameboy used and if you want to use it B-Y style you would shift your thumb over slightly and use A-X instead.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Kid Dracula is really fun. It plays more like Megaman than Castlevania but it's still a pretty fun NES platformer.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm perfectly fine with this layout. I'll use A to jump and B to whip. Or just use my wireless NES controllers.

That being said, no option for button mapping is incredibly stupid.

I think it's suppose to be like, it allows for the button layout that the "dog bone" NES Controllers and gameboy used and if you want to use it B-Y style you would shift your thumb over slightly and use A-X instead.

Correct. It's a fine layout. I'm assuming some people would have preferred A-jump Y-whip though (same layout as the OG NES controller) and they should have been given that option.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I played through all the Castlevania games (including the three GameBoy games) last year through various emulation and absolutely adored them (3 and Rondo being my faves) so this collection is a genuine dream for me. Going to buy it on PS4 and Switch.

I'd never played Kid Dracula and was genuinely questioning if it was anything like ClassicVania and then... boom... two minutes in and I'm climbing a click tower!

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No customizable controls and no rewind means I'll wait and see. I get that the controls are setup like NES, but for Xbox I would want to use A and X, which probably isn't the setup.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
No customizable controls and no rewind means I'll wait and see. I get that the controls are setup like NES, but for Xbox I would want to use A and X, which probably isn't the setup.

While having the option built into the game would be the best option you are able to remap the controls through the Xbox Accessories app. You should be able to assign the 'X' button to 'B' while maintaining 'B' as itself for menu purposes.

https://www.howtogeek.com/254132/how-to-remap-your-xbox-one-controllers-buttons/

dumbyugi

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played Kid Dracula before and it's a fun little game. Doesn't really play anything like a Castlevania game but it's a fun spinoff. Been a long long time since I last played Bloodlines so it's great to finally have a legal way to play it again. Castlevania the Adventure should have stayed in the vault forever, terrible game that's even worse then I remembered. Luckily the sequel is pretty good, at least by Gameboy standards anyway.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
As far as I can tell, all of the games look and play great.

The lack of button-configuration is really odd though. Maybe if everyone pesters Konami/M2 enough, it'll be added in the update alongside region-select.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Wonder when this will be hitting the MS storefront in the U.S., as I promised myself I'd play through Bloodlines today.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
i gotta admit that the trophy list is bumming me out a bit. would've liked bronze trophies for bosses and maybe a silver for finishing the game. I would be getting this mostly for Castlevania 2+3 but adittedly 4 was always my favorite, and i already have that with my snes classic. Hmmm

Is there gonna be any difference of emulation between the Castlevania games on the NES and SNES classics and with this collection? Thanks

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country

Uurrgghh. They of course had to screw something up. Was day one to...patch or wait for sale.