• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
W3eOblK.jpg

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the interviews the most.

Very curious to see who the new series producer is.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
SCIV is a perfectly fine game with some great music and visuals; it's just hampered by the fact that its design intent was never really to make "Castlevania 4."

You can tell that "IV" was a marketing thing for America and the dev team was just trying to show off how to make a 16-bit action platformer (which is fine!), because even though it has some radical changes like the whip, the straightforward linear structure throws away all of the non-linearity and multiple character stuff that II and III were building up, while Rondo managed to successfully retain and streamline those elements with the multiple exits, A/B paths, and Maria while majorly boosting the presentation.

DanteRavenkin

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'll be curious what platform this will sell the best on. Personally I'm getting it on Switch and PC (for streaming). I have a feeling that PS4 and Switch may end up neck and neck, PS4 based on sheer numbers; Switch on Nintendo Nostalgia.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
SCIV is a perfectly fine game with some great music and visuals; it's just hampered by the fact that its design intent was never really to make "Castlevania 4."

You can tell that "IV" was a marketing thing for America and the dev team was just trying to show off how to make a 16-bit action platformer (which is fine!), because even though it has some radical changes like the whip, the straightforward linear structure throws away all of the non-linearity and multiple character stuff that II and III were building up, while Rondo managed to successfully retain and streamline those elements with the multiple exits, A/B paths, and Maria while majorly boosting the presentation.
Honestly, I think SCIV would've been a better game had Simon controlled more similarly to how he controlled in the first two NES Castlevania games (albeit with better jumps). In terms of level design and enemy placement, SCIV is actually pretty faithful to the NES games, but I get the feeling that someone decided to substitute an entirely different take on Simon in place of the original toward the end of development. Aside from the floating rings that like just replaced other level elements as a means of justifying the advanced whip controls, I really don't see how SCIV was balanced with Simon's final implementation in mind. There's very little reason to use sub-weapons with such versatile whip abilities, especially given how large Simon is on the screen. Even worse, the tech demo segments just kill the pacing, whether that comes in the form of atrocious levels of slowdown or watching a level slowly spin around.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Just got the game and am playing it on my switch via an import. Uploading a gameplay vid as well that I'll PM to the OT (It can be found on the SeafoamGaming Youtube Channel in the meantime). In the meantime, I'll answer some common questions:

Is the Emulation Good? Yes. Everything here runs fine and at the proper speed. Looks sharp and plays well and the inputs feel Sega AGES Quality.

Customization options? All the footage you saw earlier showed all the customization options you'll get. The screen options look super duper crisp and well done, though of course the line filters are awful because well, they're line filters. Same for the GB coloring since it's literally the same as putting them in a GBC without holding down any buttons. There's no button configs either but the controls are all fine for these as A is jump, B is attack like it should be for the NES/GB ones, while B and Y are the jump/attack for Genesis/SCIV.

Region switching? No. JPN version has JPN games and no english. The english for the eShop meant the MENUS for the saving/loading/settings are in english, since yes, they do translate into english if you're playing in english, but nothing else.

Simon's Quest is the US Version. Indeed, we got the inferior NES version over the superior FDS even though the FDS Bloody Tears plays on the title screen. Very annoying. They also erased the licensed by NOA text at the start.

Anything else you may wanna know should be in the video once OP adds it, and you can ask if you want something particular known.

Last edited:

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Just got the game and am playing it on my switch via an import. Uploading a gameplay vid as well that I'll PM to the OT (It can be found on the SeafoamGaming Youtube Channel in the meantime). In the meantime, I'll answer some common questions:

Is the Emulation Good? Yes. Everything here runs fine and at the proper speed. Looks sharp and plays well and the inputs feel Sega AGES Quality.

Customization options? All the footage you saw earlier showed all the customization options you'll get. The screen options look super duper crisp and well done, though of course the line filters are awful because well, they're line filters. Same for the GB coloring since it's literally the same as putting them in a GBC without holding down any buttons. There's no button configs either but the controls are all fine for these as A is jump, B is attack like it should be for the NES/GB ones, while B and Y are the jump/attack for Genesis/SCIV.

Region switching? No. JPN version has JPN games and no english. The english for the eShop meant the MENUS for the saving/loading/settings are in english, since yes, they do translate into english if you're playing in english, but nothing else.

Simon's Quest is the US Version. Indeed, we got the inferior NES version over the superior FDS even though the FDS Bloody Tears plays on the title screen. Very annoying. They also erased the licensed by NOA text at the start.

Anything else you may wanna know should be in the video once OP adds it, and you can ask if you want something particular known.
Thanks for the info. How about scaling artefacts in 4:3?

line filters are awful because well, they're line filters
unscanned line filters don't have to be awful, they're fantastic on the Framemesiter, on a hacked NES/SNES Mini, and several other devices/applications.

It's just this particular one (along with lots of other retro releases/compilations) that is shit.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Thanks for the info. How about scaling artefacts in 4:3?

4:3 mode is only available via scanlines. There's an original display mode though that looks pretty close, though a bit scaled back. Pixel Perfect is the way to go IMO, and 16:9 is just a no. Original/Pixel Perfect both look crisp. I attached a pic of the 4:3 mode via handheld.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017

Does it have save states?

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
I'll be curious what platform this will sell the best on. Personally I'm getting it on Switch and PC (for streaming). I have a feeling that PS4 and Switch may end up neck and neck, PS4 based on sheer numbers; Switch on Nintendo Nostalgia.

I don't understand everyone getting 2d games on switch, there isn't a dpad. I played 1 min of a classic nes online game and immediately realized it was total shit with the switch controls. If you tell me that you play with the pro controller then why wouldn't you just buy the game on the more tech savvy console like PS4, Xbox, pc since which also have trophy/achievements if your into that.

This only applies to people with multiple consoles obviously

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
4:3 mode is only available via scanlines. There's an original display mode though that looks pretty close, though a bit scaled back. Pixel Perfect is the way to go IMO, and 16:9 is just a no. Original/Pixel Perfect both look crisp. I attached a pic of the 4:3 mode via handheld.

That's not what was shown previously?

wbH1vrl.png

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Does it have save states?

Yeah it does, one per game.

I don't understand everyone getting 2d games on switch, there isn't a dpad. I played 1 min of a classic nes online game and immediately realized it was total shit with the switch controls. If you tell me that you play with the pro controller then why wouldn't you just buy the game on the more tech savvy console like PS4, Xbox, pc since which also have trophy/achievements if your into that.

The D-Buttons are totally fine for anything that isn't diagonal heavy. They're different, but different doesn't mean bad and I enjoy using them for four-way games and stuff like puzzlers. I stick to the Hori D-Pad in handheld mode though since that's the best option out there, and is 10000X better than the unusable Pro Controller D-pad. For docked I just use the Joycon D-buttons instead for 2D action.
That's not what was shown previously?

wbH1vrl.png

Yeah, the picture I sent is of the "4:3 scanlines" mode. As much as it may seem like it, Original is NOT the same size as the 4:3 scanlines. It's a bit less tall and kinda wide so it's technically different.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Yeah it does, one per game.

The D-Buttons are totally fine for anything that isn't diagonal heavy. They're different, but different doesn't mean bad and I enjoy using them for four-way games and stuff like puzzlers. I stick to the Hori D-Pad in handheld mode though since that's the best option out there, and is 10000X better than the unusable Pro Controller D-pad. For docked I just use the Joycon D-buttons instead for 2D action.

Yeah, the picture I sent is of the "4:3 scanlines" mode. As much as it may seem like it, Original is NOT the same size as the 4:3 scanlines. It's a bit less tall and kinda wide so it's technically different.

I guess, but if you have other options then why settle for dpad buttons. Especially if you are a big fan of 2d games.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I guess, but if you have other options then why settle for dpad buttons. Especially if you are a big fan of 2d games.
Because your specific preferences are not the same as other people.

They are 100% absolutely fine for games that do utilise 'rolling' between directions. I have played dozens of 2D games through with the joycon directional buttons. Tiny Barbarian, Cave Story, Axiom Verge, Wonder Boy, not a single complaint. They are no good for Street Fighter or King of Fighters, I would choose something else for those.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Fantastic OT

japanese version roms are coming in a FREE update

Is this also true for the Arcade collection?
Being stuck with US-only roms is what made me skip the collection on Switch so I'd be over the moon if JPN roms were coming down the road.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
There is no way that I am not getting the switch version (well it would either be that or PC, which I need to get a new cord for my controller anyway). Don't have that much issues with the d-pad tbh, but it be good to have another portable system with a bunch of Castlevania stuff (and including Bloodstained).

Deleted member 11290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be getting this for the Megadrive game and the second GB game alone... Some of my better gaming memories from when I was a kid.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I wonder what games collection 2 will have?

My guess would be:

Rondo
Symphony
Legends
Chronicles
Circle
Aria
Harmony
Adventure Rebirth

Hits pretty much all the remaining notes before you get to the DS and have to put more effort into reworking the games than I assume Konami are willing to pay for in terms of these compilations.

If for some reason they can't/won't touch Rondo and Symphony because of the PS4 version or whatever, replace them with like, I dunno, Legacy of Darkness and Mirror of Fate instead.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
My guess would be:

Rondo
Symphony
Legends
Chronicles
Circle
Aria
Harmony
Adventure Rebirth

Hits pretty much all the remaining notes before you get to the DS and have to put more effort into reworking the games than I assume Konami are willing to pay for in terms of these compilations.

If for some reason they can't/won't touch Rondo and Symphony because of the PS4 version or whatever, replace them with like, I dunno, Legacy of Darkness and Mirror of Fate instead.
Damn great list i hope it becomes reality.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

Yeah, the "d-pad" buttons are awful, as is the pro controller d-pad. I mainly play in tabletop mode which currently has no decent d-pad options since the hori joycon isn't wireless. It's really, really dumb. We need to graduate from wired-only third party controllers yesterday.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Modded a dpad on my joycon, makes a huge difference and it wasnt that expensive tbh

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Yeah, the "d-pad" buttons are awful, as is the pro controller d-pad. I mainly play in tabletop mode which currently has no decent d-pad options since the hori joycon isn't wireless. It's really, really dumb. We need to graduate from wired-only third party controllers yesterday.
You know there are many other options right? Not the least of which is 8bitdo.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Bought an SNES classic last week, and after playing some Rondo of Blood, I really can't find Super Castlevania IV to be that good

I still think SCIV has the better soundtrack and better graphical style. I find RoD a little too cartoony/anime whereas SCIV really keeps that Gothic theme throughout.