• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
How is this the 50th Anniversary Collection if it doesn't include the iconic Symphony of the Night? That belongs in the collection celebrating the anniversary, not some future collection.

So, I think there is a pretty dramatic shift from the classic style of Castlevania to the metroidvania style that emerged with SOTN. It sorta makes sense to put the metroidvania games in their own collection.

That being said, Rondo is a huge omission, though I imagine that is because they just released it.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
So, I think there is a pretty dramatic shift from the classic style of Castlevania to the metroidvania style that emerged with SOTN. It sorta makes sense to put the metroidvania games in their own collection.

That being said, Rondo is a huge omission, though I imagine that is because they just released it.
But it's still Castlevania and still Konami. It should be in the collection celebrating the company, not some random future Castlevania collection. And this one does have Simon's Quest, which is another game with that play style. It's also missing the 68000 Castlevania, the MSX game, etc. So it's more of an "hits collection" than an anniversary collection.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
So are there going to be two collections detailing the origins of Castlevania?

I'm kinda curious as to what the long terms plan are.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's an awesome lineup except for Adventure GB which is just a bad game. Should've replaced it with Rondo or X68000.

Interested to see the 4 remaining Contra picks now.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Time to speculate what 8 games Vol. 2 would contain :P
1- Rondo of Blood
2- Castlevania Legend GB
3- Castlevania Chronicles
4- Kid Dracula 2
5- Dracula X
6- SotN
7- Castlevania N64 games 1 and 2

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Because you can't play a game older than you...? :/

Oh, I've played plenty, was just trying to be funny.

But with Castlevania I think it's actually a thing, post SotN games are so different from the original ones that it's like two different franchises. I love the Metroid ones, but just can't get into the older stuff.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely in to finally play bloodlines, kid drac and Belmonts revenge.

These delicious previously unavailable titles just about make up for adventure not being rebirth (yeah they're different games but oof, GB adventure looks slow and middling as all hell)

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I own most of these on the original platforms. Missing Bloodlines and the GB games though so will pick it up.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good selection, aside from some omissions (Rondo, x68000 and Vampire Killer being the biggest ones for me) it's a great representation of classicvania. Day one here.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I've played plenty, was just trying to be funny.

But with Castlevania I think it's actually a thing, post SotN games are so different from the original ones that it's like two different franchises. I love the Metroid ones, but just can't get into the older stuff.
ah OK I was confused lol.

Yeah they are very different, I've never played many of the original games either. Symphony of the Night was the first Castlevania I played :)

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking slot wasted with Simon's Quest, goddammit!

At least we got Bloodlines. I'm very grateful for that one.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Totally getting this. Kid drac is a nice inclusion.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually pretty bummed by the full reveal. Kid Dracula is a nice inclusion, and Simon's Quest makes sense, but none of the three longshots I was hoping for (X6800, Rondo, Rebirth) got in, and instead I get.... The Adventure.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Daww, the ridiculous dream of the GB/DS Vania's is dead ;(
We had 4 games announced with 4 to go, there was never a chance of this collection having the GBA DS games and if you thought that you weren't paying attention.

On another collection though? I can see it happening. Konami started this is the first CV anniversary collection so if this sells well we could get another one and I got a bottom dollar that it'll be for the GBA DS games.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually pretty bummed by the full reveal. Kid Dracula is a nice inclusion, and Simon's Quest makes sense, but none of the three longshots I was hoping for (X8600, Rondo, Rebirth) got in, and instead I get.... The Adventure.
Rondo was never going to happen, guys. Konami released that game with SotN for $20 less than a year ago. This is an 8 game Collection for $20, it wasn't going to happen.

There's a rumor Konami is working on a Rebirth Collection with Contra, CV, and Gradius.

CV 86000 is just a lesser version of the OG CV we already have in this collection. I won't miss that terrible game.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Glad Bloodlines is in, but disappointed in no Rondo. The inclusion of Kid Dracula makes up for Rondo's omission somewhat.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Adventure and bloodlines are pure garbage.
Simon's Quest made me destroy several nes controllers and a nes. So I will not even start it once.
Bummer about rebirth.

I hope the next castlevania collection contain the n64 ones. They are so underrated.
Just leave all the metroidvanias where they belong: in the very depths of hell
Wow. Garbage tier shitpost, congrats. Even the sun can't bear this hot take.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice line up.
pls giv Sonia in next collection ToT
1997_gb_eu.png
The absolute last new Classicvania we ever got. Rebirth is a remake so it ain't new.

I could've had this instead of Simon's fucking Quest. Oh well

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
People who expected SOTN (or any Igavania) or Rondo I really think were setting themselves up for disappointment or not really reading the initial announcement. On the flip side I will say its a bummer that we didn't get Chronicles or Rebirth. Those were also longshots but def I think it the realm of possible. Still a solid collection overall but they gotta get Chronicles and Rebirth (especially Rebirth) out there again.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a single Igavania... thats weak.
Where have you been? Konami since day one said this was going to be focused on Castlevania's origins. ANd if that wasn't a dead giveaway the first four announced CVs (CV1, 3, 4, GB CV2) should've been.

Konami also calls this their "first CV anniversary collection" so there's hope next one could focus on the portable Igavanias.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed by the 2nd set of CV games but I'll probably still pick up the collection on the strength of 3, 4 and Bloodlines.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
A great chronological selection that covers the early era. Hopefully people will support this release and Konami will move forward with Castlevania Anniversary Collection 2 to get into the Rondo of Blood/Symphony of the Night territory.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Oh. I heard from someone in another thread that this was a thing, surprised to see they are offering different regions like this...
YXmGCnd.png

Maybe they'll do the same for Castlevania and Contra? 😬

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
This collection is cool and all, but it just really makes me want a portable Castlevania collection with the GBA games on it....

Or at the very least just Aria of Sorrow

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so Castlevania 1-4, Gameboy Castlevania 1-2, and Bloodlines. This seems like a pretty definitive origins collection. I might get this to play Castlevania for the first time!

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
The absolute last new Classicvania we ever got. Rebirth is a remake so it ain't new.

I could've had this instead of Simon's fucking Quest. Oh well
Rebirth is a remake in name only. Aside from the fact you play as Christopher and you can upgrade to the fireball whip, it's like a totally new game. Which is awesome because Adventure is some of the worst classic-style Castlevania ever made.

monstar

Oct 25, 2017
Will buy it, I owe them money for playing CV1 & 3 recently, and would like to 4 and Bloodlines.

Have less than zero interest in those game boy games, but oh well.