• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

YukidaruPunch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Salvador, Brazil
Castlevania was my Souls jam before Souls existed. Great, great games, even though I don't find much time to be playing them anymore (or perhaps I've just replayed them way too much). I just started Order of Ecclesia, by the way!

And just to drop this out here: Bloodlines is better than CV4. (and Rondo of Blood is better than both of them)

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
nice op! I still jam on harmony of despair!

music time
Excellent taste. Tragic Prince is my favorite Castlevania track in the series, specifically the one in SotN. Harmony of Despair has a ton of amazing remixes, however. Not even from a Castlevania game but still sick.

Castlevania was my Souls jam before Souls existed. Great, great games, even though I don't find much time to be playing them anymore (or perhaps I've just replayed them way too much). I just started Order of Ecclesia, by the way!

And just to drop this out here: Bloodlines is better than CV4. (and Rondo of Blood is better than both of them)

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the series, but I'm sorry. You have legitimately offended me with this statement.

Castlevania was my Souls jam before Souls existed.

YukidaruPunch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Salvador, Brazil
I appreciate your enthusiasm for the series, but I'm sorry. You have legitimately offended me with this statement.
Don't be! There's plenty of love for every good series out there!

I say it more in a sense that it fills the void of a highly replayable action-adventure/exploration game. I think Souls did a good job in transitioning the idea do 3D in a sense the N64 and PS2 Castlevanias unfortunately didn't. I think it's a shame the 2D games are somewhat MIA for so much time, though. :(

(Gosh, has it really been nine years since OoE?)

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Castlevania was my first game on the NES. My elder sister and i are fans of the series.

Castlevania has given me so many good memories

Also, no matter the game, the soundtrack is always god-tier

Kogasu

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, what even constitutes "Newer CV atmosphere" at this point, the godawful Animu stuff from DoS / Portrait? I don't think Ecclesia counts as a new style since there's just that one game and nothing after it that matched that style. Were it not for Harmony of Despair, the latest mainline Castlevania style would be Judgement's godawful redesigns... blech!

Oh lol! So by "new" I was actually referring to stuff like Rondo and Symphony but I guess, now that you mention it, that's not really all that new anymore hehe. I wasn't too hot on Castlevania going all anime either. Though I give a pass to Rondo because it's nostalgically 90s styled.

Son't get me started on Judgement... I don't know who the hell thought those designs were a good idea at all...

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Arby's is being awesome again.

3XVvhmNl.jpg

Jumpman64

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have a prediction that smash deluxe will be announced for Switch and Simon Belmont will be a new character. It's a no-brained to have him in the game since castlevania really started on the nes in the states.

I would absolutely lose it if it comes to fruition

YukidaruPunch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Salvador, Brazil
Unless DS3 added ton of platforming out of nowhere (it's the only one I haven't played), I don't see how you can come to that conclusion, especially when the N64 games are right there with platforming just about everywhere. I mean, I've never gotten the comparison between the two series; beyond a Gothic setting and a reputation for tough difficulty, that's really about it unless your definition of Castlevania only starts at SotN and it's loot/RPG mechanics.
I just think they're pretty good games, man. No need to be so uptight about it.

Kogasu

Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha, I had a feeling you weren't thinking of the anime style, since nobody in their right mind thinks that was a good idea.
JUWnj.gif

When I think of Castlevania, I still inevitably go back to the NES box art, that crazy Frank Frazetta-esque style that would fit on the side of somebody's 70's shag wagon... with a healthy dose of Universal's classic monsters, of course.

Oh god! That Frazetta type artstyle would be the best case scenario! I'm in love with that kinda stuff and general old video game boxart. I miss it!

Kogasu

Oct 25, 2017
That's why whenever those "Post your dream Franchise + Developer combo" threads pop up, I always suggest a Vanillaware Castlevania. The visual style of something like Dragon Crown, with big muscle-bound barbarians and ridiculously buxom women, would be a good fit for ClassicVania; a mix of the early box art and that tongue-in-cheek horror element. Plus the environments would be gorgeous and the gameplay would be kind of quirky in that "we're developing games in the 80s and we're kind of just winging it" way. Maybe not the best fit, but it'd beat whatever Konami's doing with it (read: Nothing).

Yeah anything to bring the series back from Pachinko-dom haha!

Jumpman64

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Playing castlevania 3 off and on right now and it's pretty damn hard. Not sure what level I'm at since I haven't played it in a week, but it's the one with the falling bricks. I'm sort of cheesing it with Alucard but I'm still dying. Not sure how I beat this as a kid.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Please stop trying to compare everything with Souls. Souls it's not Castlevania, it never tried to be, and it will never be.

Also, it's been years since the notion of a "Castlevania" artstyle or gameplay has been shattered to pieces. As a veteran, the only thing i seek when playing a Castlevania is the essence, and thankfully every single mainline and spin-off game of the series has that in spades (Yes, even Judgment. I love that game btw, it's deep, had a neat netcode and it even pioneered on bypassing the Wii Friend Code system)

I saw the series going from western-ish style to manga, to bishonen, back to manga and finally full western with Lords of Shadows, not to mention the continuous bastardization of the classic gameplay.

In the end, the essence is the only thing that really matters

WVW69kZPr1guhLs7MP

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Aight I grabbed Super Castlevania IV off eShop for my N3DS.
Gonna start it soon.
Any tips I should know besides abusing the Cross?

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yep, you can abuse the Holy Water too.

Also, this is a Castlevania where secondary weapons are more secondary than ever. Also, you should master the whip flailing. It looks weak first, but it is wildly useful

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
So who else here recognizes the complete perfection that is Portrait of Ruin? Great Music, the 3D enemies are an interesting experiment, and the wind quests gave more incentive then ever to explore and experiment in the castle then ever before. Also love stringing combos together when it comes to using the dual moves.
Edit: Seriously in love with the music, some of the best midi samples in the series:
https://youtu.be/AYGO6wl2Jyg
https://youtu.be/U9-IP5Ot71I
https://youtu.be/L0HVTx0gVho
https://youtu.be/pmd7w4GDobc

The punch in some of the drums and bass is mindblowing. Completely forgot Crucifix Held Close!
https://youtu.be/fu3Nn2TI2rc

Last edited:

SELIG

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gosh I love those 3 GBA titles. Never got a DS but those games looked just as fun. Still have my GBA maybe it'll be time for a revisit soon.

When does the Netflix Season 2 release? First one was really cool, but yeah, really just a set up for more.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Gosh I love those 3 GBA titles. Never got a DS but those games looked just as fun. Still have my GBA maybe it'll be time for a revisit soon.

When does the Netflix Season 2 release? First one was really cool, but yeah, really just a set up for more.
The GBA Era has nothing compared to what came in the DS Era. A bigger, better Aria of Sorrow, a completely unique game in the franchise that deserves all the praise it can get, and Simons Quest feat. Magic Wizards.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Remind me why they didn't get Ayami Kojima to do the art for the 2nd Aria game?
Cuz that cheap shop 2nd rate anime art is so unappealing.

Currently in stage 2 of Super 4 but I am loving the game. Good controls and you actually have a range advantage. Need to be careful not to lose my cross though.
Music is aces too.

Last edited:

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I may need to replay Portrait of Ruin, since not only it's my least liked entry of the DS trio, it acually left me with a slighly sour taste

- Jonathan is annoying at best, unlikable at worst
- Second half is pure asset recycling
- The vampire sisters are sorely underused in the main story. Wind, too
- Some bosses are actually en example of poor animation, with Dagon as the worst example.

Now, the game was also hype as fuck. Starting from dat intro

(I've never been actually agaisnt any art style for the series, even Obata's is fine in my book. Hell, his preteen Eric Lecarde is my favorite depiction of the character)

Music ranges from great to excellent

And the last battle, while shoehorned, is the most epic Castlevania boss ever. It's something that always comes to my head when i'm trying to choreograph a final battle for my old and abandoned Castlevania fanfic.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Dang super 4 has 11 levels? Gonna tey and beat 5 today then go e to finish it tomorrow

Shadow Yuk

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
What a beautiful night to have a discussion

I have only played SotN (and I freaking loved it) and I want to get more into the serie: should I start to play right from the first title? What are the better versions of each title?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
What a beautiful night to have a discussion

I have only played SotN (and I freaking loved it) and I want to get more into the serie: should I start to play right from the first title? What are the better versions of each title?
Most titles as they exist are the only playable versions. If you own a PSP try to snag DXC on there as it comes with Rondo of Blood. If I had to make a tiered list of what to play....

Must Play
-Castlevania 3(NES)
-Super Castlevania IV(SNES)
-Aria of Sorrow(GBA)&Dawn of Sorrow(DS)
-Dracula X Chronicles(PSP)
-Order of Ecclesia(DS)

Highly Recommended
-Castlevania Chronicles(PS1)
-Circle of the Moon(GBA)
-Portrait of Ruin(DS)

If You Loved All of the Above and Crave the Night
-Harmony of Despair(GBA)
-Lament of Innocence&Curse of Darkness(PS2)

Never Played and Have No Idea
-Castlevania Adventure Rebirth(Wiiware, probably dead)
-Those Nintendo 64 Games

Do Not Exist
-Castlevania Lords of Shadow Era

I may need to replay Portrait of Ruin, since not only it's my least liked entry of the DS trio, it acually left me with a slighly sour taste

- Jonathan is annoying at best, unlikable at worst
- Second half is pure asset recycling
- The vampire sisters are sorely underused in the main story. Wind, too
- Some bosses are actually en example of poor animation, with Dagon as the worst example.

Now, the game was also hype as fuck. Starting from dat intro

(I've never been actually agaisnt any art style for the series, even Obata's is fine in my book. Hell, his preteen Eric Lecarde is my favorite depiction of the character)

Music ranges from great to excellent

And the last battle, while shoehorned, is the most epic Castlevania boss ever. It's something that always comes to my head when i'm trying to choreograph a final battle for my old and abandoned Castlevania fanfic.

Wind was fine, because as I said, those quest where great incentives to explore. The recycled assets are a non-issue for me as well, considering that was the franchise for a good 10 years in terms of enemy design, I mean seriously. At least the maps were remixed. It was castlevania in its purest form presentation and gameplay wise, so forgive me if I give it some leeway where it had minor errors.
And yeah, that intro kicks ass. I want a Guilty Gear Xrd style 2D Igavania with that art direction, I mean it makes so much sense to not do it.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Lords of Shadow series are flawed but they have some decent elements about them.
LoS1 has some decent light puzzle elements & LoS2 has a good combat system (and a no QTE option).

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Lords of Shadow series are flawed but they have some decent elements about them.
LoS1 has some decent light puzzle elements & LoS2 has a good combat system (and a no QTE option).
I mean, don't get me wrong, 3D Castlevania in the right hands, can and will eventually happen in a proper fashion respectable to the legacy of the Franchise. Despite my suggestions above, which is suited for newcomers mostly, I personally love and replay annually the PS2 games. But Lord of Shadow has no reason or merit to carry the Castlevania name. If it was made by Mercury Stream alone, removing any name drops to the Belmont Clan and any references to the series, I personally would not have minded giving em credit as ambitious games trying to fill in that Castlevania gap for the modern era and would have accepted it as an okay start for a new franchise that might one day be as good as the series once was. But slapping on a gaming legacy franchise to said games, was a horrible, horrible move.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, don't get me wrong, 3D Castlevania in the right hands, can and will eventually happen in a proper fashion respectable to the legacy of the Franchise.

But that already happened. The right hands were Konami Kobe's and the 3D game wich inherited, represented ad respected the frachise's legacy is Castlevania 64

But slapping on a gaming legacy franchise to said games, was a horrible, horrible move.

On a series thas was becoming the mother of all clusterfucks, it was the right move. The gameplay was becoming more and more convoluted, we never got the fabled 1999 game and IGA left leaving the timeline as a hot mess. Rebooting the series was the best course of action and Mercury Steam managed to do it beutifully.

I will never be able to understand the treatment Lords of Shadow recieves, while Symphony of the Night and every single Igavania (3D games included) are, at least, accepted.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
If there is a major flaw that Lords of Shadow 1 suffers from, it is the fact that it copied God of War TOO closely; forced QTEs and the fixed camera are utterly irritating.
Oh and then there is the fact that blocking and dodge rolling are assigned to the same button which can lead to some annoying rolling when all you wanted was to block for a counter.
Some enemies' attacks not being visually telegraphed well is another issue I had with LoS1.
...and yet it has some decent combat, lovely visuals, and decent puzzles in certain sections.

It is such a mixed bag.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I mostly don't care for the timeline, and at the end of the day just started looking at the series like Zelda. Trying to string it all together will be impossible, but each game has its own merits and flaws, offering something new along the way. Why can't it be that simple here? Like Zelda we know where it starts, we know all the middle bits that we need to know, and there is a distant future where the concept of Dracula is more of an undying force of evil.
As for the gameplay, it never got as complicated as you say. It always stuck to levelling up, equipment to offer some choice, and either using various weapons or the whip itself, alongside various magic systems. Said magic systems never actually got too bad, and grinding was only really prominent in the Sorrow Duo.
The series never really needed a reboot, just for them to dial down some of the bloat and evolve what Iga has already given to the series.

As for the N64 games, if that is the case I will try them out someday.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As for the N64 games, if that is the case I will try them out someday.

Do it. Legacy of Darkness has the full package and Castlevania 64 offers the original design for a few levels and acts as some kind of payed beta (It was released unfinished due to time constraints, or it is said). The camera is troublesome, but you can skip that with an emulator and a double stick controller (get the original cartridges and rip them if it makes you feel better)

It has a bit of Resident Evil mixed here and there (some fixed camera angles on weird places, doors and keys that open them, a puzzle here and there...) and some great moments. They feel dated now and for good reasons, but both Castlevanias for N64 are underrated games that needs to played by every fan.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Huh. Castlevania meets Resident Evil makes me curious, thanks for the tip. I saw random gameplay vids and was initially turned off.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I keep seeing you guys mention how the timeline was muddled by Igarashi, and now Lament of Innocence as one of the main issues. As I stated above, I really never payed any attention to that side of the franchise, but upon looking at all the data we have, I still don't get why Iga's Era did anything inherently wrong.
Before Lament, all we knew about Dracula was that he was this big force of evil, with Trevor's chronicles the earliest known dispute between the Belmonts and Dracula. All Lament did was date back the feud to the 11th Century, and show us the Origins of Dracula. If anything, I loved this move, it pulled a Skyward Sword before that became cool.
Beyond that, for me the only time it gets wonky is the time between Richter's Era and the Morris Era. If Glyph users are so powerful, and they existed for a good while, where were they this whole time? Beyond that, any additions by Iga are okay in my book.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Lament of Innocence is the point where Igarashi removed games (namely Castlevania: Legends, but also Circle of the Moon and the N64 games) from canon because they contradicted what he wanted to do with the series, leading to confusion. Up to that point there weren't any cases where one game invalidated or or replaced another (though Simon's part is retold in Castlevania, Vampire Hunter, Haunted Castle, Super Castlevania IV and Castlevania Chronicles), at least that I'm aware of (though at this point I have to mention how badly Bloodlines tried to tie into the Bram Stoker's novel).

Everything but Legends got put back in the timeline, right?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Super Casltevania IV continues to be great, and the music is very well done. It never goes into 'spooky' territory, which helps in making the game progression relaxing somewhat. For the most part you could go through it at a slow pace, and utilize the whip's flail function as a useful defense tool.
I did however detest this particular section in 8-1
9PHIe0j.png

Best image I could find sorry. Seriously the timing on those spikes is vicious. If they'd left a platform in between it would've been less irritating.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Super Casltevania IV continues to be great, and the music is very well done. It never goes into 'spooky' territory, which helps in making the game progression relaxing somewhat. For the most part you could go through it at a slow pace, and utilize the whip's flail function as a useful defense tool.
I did however detest this particular section in 8-1
9PHIe0j.png

Best image I could find sorry. Seriously the timing on those spikes is vicious. If they'd left a platform in between it would've been less irritating.

My least favorite part in SC IV, the timing is totally off and it can get really frustrating.