• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
First of all, some of you might be asking "what fucking game is this, I never heard of it" but now you're in luck. Now you know it exists, because it's ending its services in a few months.

ac46zm9mhl951.png

To talk about the game, this just seemed like a doomed project from the start. It had a beta in May 2018 that was so bad it went into hibernation for seventeen months, only to soft launch randomly in Canada. Turns out that soft launch evolved into the only launch it had, despite primarily being shown in Japanese before its official release. Content dried up a few months ago despite datamining additional chapters and characters, so this announcement was expected. Gumi appears to have been the developer, and I suppose they're busy with their Final Fantasy game to prop up two games that are light on content and potentially player retention.

Once again Konami has blueballed fans who are interested to learn about the events of 1999 and the final battle with Dracula, as the entire plot of this game involved an organization that was made after that conflict, and an antagonist trying to recreate Dracula. Now there's two unfinished stories about an event they spent years building up. Like Metal Gear Survive, they release a new game that nobody clearly wanted, and that is almost specifically because of what the game is trying to be. You can't barely justify a Castlevania fighting game, let alone a mobile game dependant on whales.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
did this ever even come out of beta?

anyway, there's no point in a castlevania 1999 story without iga. julius was his baby

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Yeah as a huge Castlevania fan, I tried it and found it to be a decent game ruined by the gatcha grind. You keep hitting brick walls on progression because you reach a stage where you can't do any damage as the items you have aren't good enough.

OP
OP
Foffy

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
did this ever even come out of beta?

anyway, there's no point in a castlevania 1999 story without iga. julius was his baby

It hurts to know that if he was given free reign to make a Castlevania game, it would have been that game as the next title. Like, it's so clear in retrospect that this was the next thing after Order of Ecclesia. Him even saying that in an interview while marketing his new baby Bloodstained really hurts. :(

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It expanded on the Sorrow games so of course it fucking crashed and burned.

(Sigh) there's at least Bloodstained now.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
It hurts to know that if he was given free reign to make a Castlevania game, it would have been that game as the next title. Like, it's so clear in retrospect that this was the next thing after Order of Ecclesia. Him even saying that in an interview while marketing his new baby Bloodstained really hurts. :(

Seriously? Have a link to that interview? In case I feel the need to read it to make this hurt even more real. I was hoping the Netflix show might eventually go that direction but now...yeah not really interested in that.

OP
OP
Foffy

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously? Have a link to that interview? In case I feel the need to read it to make this hurt even more real. I was hoping the Netflix show might eventually go that direction but now...yeah not really interested in that.

I believe this is it. The two episodes he is referring to are the events of 1897 with Quincy Morris (currently the Dracula novel takes this place in the canon, despite its inconsistencies with Dracula's power and history) and the other is the 1999 game with Julius Belmont, which would be the one taking priority. The fact he's talking so honestly about a series that seems like it was "stolen" from him to be westernized hurts. And that's considering they cancelled three Castlevania games on him in the past, even with an alleged 1999 duology started and stopped in early development phases in 2006-2007.

If it means anything, there is a new series producer at Konami. He/she oversaw the Netflix show and the Castlevania Anniversary Collection, but Konami has chosen to prevent their name from being in the credits of each. Presumably, he/she was in charge of this, as Ayami Kojima was brought back for new artwork. You don't get a new series producer for a dead IP...

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
That's disappointing, I never got to go hands-on as I was waiting for the full release.

Konami gonna Konami, but I would really rather have a new Castlevania soon.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
It actually looks good from the trailer... but mobile and only released in Canada lol.

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
I actually wanted to play this, but Konami simply didn't release it in my country, Brazil.

Castlevania is not in a good place right now. In case you don't know, the writer (and I guess creator) of the netflix's series, Warren Ellis, is being accused of grooming young women, so I wouldn't be surprised if the series is canceled in the upcoming months

OP
OP
Foffy

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds interesting. Got a source for that?

This came from leaker PORTRAITofRUIN on GameFAQs many years ago. She was probably famous for leaking...well, everything about Portrait of Ruin a good four months before release, leaking a higher quality version of the soundtrack than the final release, the boss list, and gameplay from all of the unlockable modes. She gained later fame by being one of the first people to name in specificity the way the fully unlocked roster looked in Super Smash Bros Brawl. Additionally she leaked the existence of The Dracula X Chronicles and its features before the game was announced as well.

This 1999 duology project didn't get far, but there was plans to make a PS2 and DS game, as this was all she was able to mention. One starred Alucard, the other starred Julius, and presumably they were going to be able to interact in some fashion. Of note in 2007 there was no in-house Castlevania game, as The Dracula X Chronicles was an outsourced affair. Igarashi later said he considered the events of 1999 to be a "multiplayer" affair if it became a game, and I can only imagine this is in reference to an online element, not a co-operative game like this mobile title or Harmony of Despair. Igarashi was mandated by Konami that the series must be an annualized IP if he were to take the role of producer when he did so in 2001, so this gap of no in-house titles for 2007 is of note to these alleged projects. 2004 and 2007 are the only years there was no in-house Konami made Castlevania, and the gap could be explained in 2004 as the GBA was being replaced by the DS.

The other cancelled project was an Alucard game shown for PS3 and 360, but this was primarily Konami's Japanese pitch on what to do with the series for the HD era, a pitch they turned down for Lords of Shadow. No details about this project surfaced other than Igarashi saying it was a mistake to show it publicly, presumably because it was primarily a pitch, not a game in full production.

Last edited:

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
They actually released Grimoire of Souls themed T-shirts in Japan last month. lol

I think think Konami is run by insane people.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
What in the world? Looks decent enough to give it a go. Nice screw up, Konami!

Also, let's leave the term "blueballing" to the annals of history.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
This came from leaker PORTRAITofRUIN on GameFAQs many years ago. She was probably famous for leaking...well, everything about Portrait of Ruin a good four months before release, leaking a higher quality version of the soundtrack than the final release, the boss list, and gameplay from all of the unlockable modes. She gained later fame by being one of the first people to name in specificity the way the fully unlocked roster looked in Super Smash Bros Brawl. Additionally she leaked the existence of The Dracula X Chronicles and its features before the game was announced as well.

This 1999 duology project didn't get far, but there was plans to make a PS2 and DS game, as this was all she was able to mention. One starred Alucard, the other starred Julius, and presumably they were going to be able to interact in some fashion. Of note in 2007 there was no in-house Castlevania game, as The Dracula X Chronicles was an outsourced affair. Igarashi later said he considered the events of 1999 to be a "multiplayer" affair if it became a game, and I can only imagine this is in reference to an online element, not a co-operative game like this mobile title or Harmony of Despair. Igarashi was mandated by Konami that the series must be an annualized IP if he were to take the role of producer when he did so in 2001, so this gap of no in-house titles for 2007 is of note to these alleged projects. 2004 and 2007 are the only years there was no in-house Konami made Castlevania, and the gap could be explained in 2004 as the GBA was being replaced by the DS.

The other cancelled project was an Alucard game shown for PS3 and 360, but this was primarily Konami's Japanese pitch on what to do with the series for the HD era, a pitch they turned down for Lords of Shadow. No details about this project surfaced other than Igarashi saying it was a mistake to show it publicly, presumably because it was primarily a pitch, not a game in full production.

Oh 1st time i heard of this. Man what if. Hmm Does this mean the cancelled PS3/360 game was another attempt at the Alucard game?

Konami just outsource the series to IGA for the 1999 game :(

OP
OP
Foffy

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
What in the world? Looks decent enough to give it a go. Nice screw up, Konami!

Also, let's leave the term "blueballing" to the annals of history.

If one can suggest a better term if this is really an issue, I'm down to change it. Originally I was going to use the Kazuhira Miller meme, but Metal Gear fans suffer enough when we talk about Konami.

Oh 1st time i heard of this. Man what if. Hmm Does this mean the cancelled PS3/360 game was another attempt at the Alucard game?

Konami just outsource the series to IGA for the 1999 game :(

To my knowledge, this only exists as a pitch for a game. What people presumed it was at the time was a video game adaptation of the radio drama that started around the same time as this reveal, which means people thought it was a direct sequel to Symphony of the Night. We only later found out via Dave Cox, the producer for Lords of Shadow, that this was actually Konami's Japanese pitch for a Castlevania game, which competed with Konami's Europe and American branches. The European pitch won in the end, which is why they rebooted the franchise for that generation of consoles.

Making something kinda like Harmony of Despair for a mobile outing is a fundamentally good idea, even if it did raise the immediate question of why Konami never bothered to do a new one (well, besides IGA leaving, since that was his baby), but making it a virtual non-release in the first place and still going hard on the bad gacha practices was a surefire way to ensure that this was the only fate it was to receive.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Remove the gacha, release it as a budget, digital only title on all consoles and PC.

Afterwards, license out the IP to Iga to make new multiplatform games.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
The gacha was what turned me off from the release I played for a couple of weeks.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for the people that put money into these mobile games from established publishers that make big promises but shut down in a year or two.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I've long since stopped expecting anything out of Konami at this point. They've made it clear what the direction is and even if the game was a mobile game, the story aspects would have been addressed, and now not even that. CV is basically dead and they'll just dust off the old games every now and then to port them to new hardware for quick cash.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
it is always the worst when people put real money into these mobile online gacha games, only to see the game shutdown and then they basically lose everything they paid for. And in under a year too.

Again, just another shitty undertaking by Konami. I swear they must be the most horribly managed company of game development there is. They seemingly do not give a damn about any of their creative IP, and sabotage their own efforts nonstop.

You'd have thought, with the Netflix Castlevania show doing well and with such high visibility, it would give them an idea that maybe they should capitalize on its success and release new Castlevania titles to take advantage of that?

But of course not. That might be a good idea that could make money...

Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot about this.
You soft-launch in Canada and nowhere else? Well no wonder the game died.
Seriously, get your shit together Konami. You can have your gambling and gyms, but actually put effort into making good games again.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Trust me, you didn't miss much. While the visuals and music were sufficient, it just felt like a C-level Castlevania experience.

At least this looks decent. Look at what Konami shamelessly did with contra recently. Unacceptable on every level what they pushed to retail and instead of finishing the fucking half-finished game they were trying to sell DLC for it.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, has Konami done anything good of recent? Like, what is the last at least "decent" game they released?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
This 1999 duology project didn't get far, but there was plans to make a PS2 and DS game, as this was all she was able to mention. One starred Alucard, the other starred Julius, and presumably they were going to be able to interact in some fashion.
This hurts to read. That sounded cool.

My pipe dream for the 1999 game was having the first part of the game be a Metroidvania with Alucard, and the second part a point A to point B classicvania with Juilus.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a bummer. I thought the artstyle looked nice and I was interested in trying it out.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Urgh. Was looking forward to this coming west but they never did. :| Can't really be surprised it got canned, if you don't even bring it out to people wanting to play it to begin with. Pretty big bummer since Konami's mobile stuff has been top quality lately. (Pixel Puzzle, Duel Links)

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The game is utter trash. You folks aren't missing out on anything. It's just nonstop gacha shit all overm

Oct 25, 2017
I actually wanted to play this, but Konami simply didn't release it in my country, Brazil.

Castlevania is not in a good place right now. In case you don't know, the writer (and I guess creator) of the netflix's series, Warren Ellis, is being accused of grooming young women, so I wouldn't be surprised if the series is canceled in the upcoming months
If Castlevania was/is successful, they i'll just find another person to write/direct the animated series.

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what's happening with Konami mobile efforts. They have been ending the service of some high profile games. The one that surprised me the most was the LovePlus.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'd settle for a port of Castlevania HD on Steam. It was so much fun to play online, but the community is pretty much dead on consoles at this point.
There is a Unity port, it got abandoned though so me and a few people are trying to restore it.....very slowly.

Might just be worth to start over though honestly.