• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 17, 2018
No crt filter is going to make this a tough sale for me.

Me too. I don't mind pixels, but these ones are super chunky in places. I will never not prefer a proper CRT filter in place. This is CRT Easy Mode vs Native Pixels. I tuned CRT to my liking, but it can obviously be tweaked to yours. It's crazy how much detail on the character CRT or filters create.

I honestly just wish these older remasters would come with decent filtering options. Like just give us the damn options! I hate when they release with some crappy vaseline smoother or even worse a terrible looking CRT filter that makes the game look horrible. How is it that hard to put your own CRT filter in a game like this? I would think all you need is permission to use a filter for a game. Pay a small fee even. Do something.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018
I still don't understand why they'd emulate (arguably) the worst versions of the games. And that's setting aside the different script/dub/Maria, the PSP's issues with image quality, pixel scaling, audio delays, PCE emu slowdown and reintroduced JP bugs all probably need to addressed.

I still think starting from scratch with native PS1/PCE emulation and reinserting the new script/dub would've made more sense tbh, but then maybe that was more effort than Konami/Sony were willing to put in when they had a ready PSP emulator to work with.
I agree. I think people are falling for this we really tried remaster business. I don't really agree with how they are doing this, and the lack of even a decent CRT filter just makes me not want to spend anything. I don't care to play through this game with its chunky looking naked pixels. That isn't how the game was designed to be seen really anyway.

I would at least hope they have the pixels correctly rendered though.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
For $20, fine I guess but I wish they would have taken more care with the project, and I *really* wish they were working on SoTN 2 or something like that.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
For $20, fine I guess but I wish they would have taken more care with the project, and I *really* wish they were working on SoTN 2 or something like that.

SOTN2 is coming, it's called Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night.

Was this already confirmed to be a Sony port? Sony isn't going to make a brand new Castlevania game.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Well damn. Can't choose between original or PSP script, no CRT filter and it's pretty much just an emulated PSP chronicles collection right?

Fuck I'll just stick with emulating my original copy. Wanting to play through this with a friend so I think I'll stick with what I have.

GOOCHY

Oct 29, 2017
Literally the only reason I'm buying this game is for the platinum trophy. It sounds like a half assed thing otherwise.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
How many copies of this do I have to buy to convince Konami to finally bring Harmony of Despair to PS4/Xbox One? It's criminal that it's somehow still stuck on PS3 and 360.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's obvious if you actually just look at the screenshots. Looks a ton crisper than any other official release so far.
The blur was bilinear filtering, which could be easily turned off in homebrew on PSP itself even. Pixel scaling is how the game was redrawn at a different resolution from the PS1 original. The PSP and Saturn ports both have this issue, only 360 maintained proper scaling but it had other issues.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
"...will not have the original VO for Symphony of the Night or Rondo of Blood."

Is this just unfortunate wording by someone who doesn't know what's what? Because if not, wouldn't this pretty much imply that there's no japanese dub?

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best translation and dub confirmed.

But, will it still have dual audio? *crossing fingers*
Bravo!

C'mon guys, this is a nostalgia operation and the people doing it don't seem to understand nostalgia, or the word "iconic".
I'll concede that the newer dub and translation is better overall. Except for Alucard though. The original Badass Baritone was one of the reasons the game made such an impression.

I remember the audio in the Dracula X cutscenes being wildly out of sync in the PSP version. I hope they'll fix it. Has it been discussed already?
Apparently the PSP "retranslation" is nothing of the sort. It's a rephrasing of the original English translation.

I don't speak Japanese, but I remember someone who does said that if you look closely at all three scripts, the original translation skipped over certain details and made up details of it's own (as translations tend to do), and then the PSP retranslation didn't touch upon any details that were missed in the original, while it made up some of the exact same details that the original translation made up, it just phrased them differently.

Konami didn't retranslate the game and take the opportunity to do the translation any better, they just took the English script and told someone "People are ironically enjoying the flaws in this script. I want you to re-write it to break the memes and suck all the fun out of the room."

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
Remember back when there were rumors of getting a Castlevania collection and instead we got a zero effort port the Vania thats already appeared on 100 platforms?

Fuck you Konami

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
wow even though ROB has literally only appeared on PSP/Wii VC and nothing else in the west (Unlike SOTN, which has appeared on PS1, PSP and 360... Which is still not as much as the NES Castlevanias being on every Nintendo system after GBA)

FFS, at least be thankful that ROB is in circulation again after the Wii shop got pulled. Hopefully they do the same for Adventure Rebirth. I'm kinda sick of all the Konami bashing that's the hip thing to do as of late even though they're slowly doing things like publishing Bomberman R and this game which makes me hopeful they'll license out their IPs to companies who'll develop new entries or ports of their more obscure series. I'd love a new Gradius and especially a collection of their GB titles.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
"...will not have the original VO for Symphony of the Night or Rondo of Blood."

Is this just unfortunate wording by someone who doesn't know what's what? Because if not, wouldn't this pretty much imply that there's no japanese dub?
There's two Japanese dubs. The PCE original is different from the one used on PSP and Wii VC.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Eager to try these, bounced of SotN as a kid as I didn't really like the Metroivania style, which I've since gained an appreciation of.

Waiting to see about the input lag before I dive in.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
The last time I played through this was on the PSP. It's time once again.

I wish they would have included the Saturn version of SOTN.

Worth the price of admission for sure.
I'm always curious to see why anyone ever wants the Saturn version.

The only worthwhile addition to the game that isn't included in the PSP version (and ths this one) is the third hand. The 2 extra areas were rather small and pointless and the game was a worse port in many other areas. We get an arguably better playing Maria in this one, too.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember back when there were rumors of getting a Castlevania collection and instead we got a zero effort port the Vania thats already appeared on 100 platforms?
The law of the minimum effort.

Meanwhile I'll be sitting in this corner waiting for Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth and Castlevania Bloodlines to get out of their WiiWare and Sega Genesis hellhole.

How about porting those, Konami? It's pathetic that the only way to legally play these is by buying an actual Genesis cart and that's still better than what The Adventure Rebirth got now that you can't even access WiiWare since they shut the service down!

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always curious to see why anyone ever wants the Saturn version.

The only worthwhile addition to the game that isn't included in the PSP version (and ths this one) is the third hand. The 2 extra areas were rather small and pointless and the game was a worse port in many other areas. We get an arguably better playing Maria in this one, too.
And another rendition of Bloody Tears.

Aug 17, 2018
Never played Rondo. Too bad it's not coming to Xbox.

One of the first games I bought on XBLA was SotN. Had it on PS1, but had to replay it. Wouldn't mind another old school 2D Castlevania game.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The last time I played through this was on the PSP. It's time once again.

I wish they would have included the Saturn version of SOTN.

Worth the price of admission for sure.
I'd be curious to see what it takes to port the Saturn content. The base artwork in the Saturn version is all distorted which would require serious work to fix.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
wow even though ROB has literally only appeared on PSP/Wii VC and nothing else in the west (Unlike SOTN, which has appeared on PS1, PSP and 360... Which is still not as much as the NES Castlevanias being on every Nintendo system after GBA)

FFS, at least be thankful that ROB is in circulation again after the Wii shop got pulled. Hopefully they do the same for Adventure Rebirth. I'm kinda sick of all the Konami bashing that's the hip thing to do as of late even though they're slowly doing things like publishing Bomberman R and this game which makes me hopeful they'll license out their IPs to companies who'll develop new entries or ports of their more obscure series. I'd love a new Gradius and especially a collection of their GB titles.

Some people are just going crazy with the hatorade.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to trying SotN out finally. I really hope this is just the start of a revival kicked off by the Netflix show, preferably with the next step being a brand new game with the show's aesthetic.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
"In celebration of the forthcoming CASTLEVANIA: REQUIEM for PS4, we are honored to present the soundtracks to CASTLEVANIA: RONDO OF BLOOD/DRACULA X and CASTLEVANIA: SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT - available for the first time on vinyl." → https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/music-weekly-castlevania-symphony-of-the-night-lp

RONDO_FC_1024x1024_3b9ae297-38b9-4a96-a6dc-748ecba5befa_1024x1024.jpg

SOTN:
allthreediscs_9609df39-7927-4b80-a904-d33f446b1765_1024x1024.jpg

This double LP features 41 tracks from the game (including 7 bonus tracks from the Sega Saturn version of the game) all remastered for vinyl and featuring all new original artwork by Jasmin Darnell.

Rondo:
6--Rondo_of_Blood_1024x1024_c1381581-ded4-4bf2-aa04-e63c0ad1ef16_1024x1024.jpg

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone is freaking over SOTN's VA, I just need to know if this is a version of Rondo that's worth paying money for.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sometimes feel like I'm a Castlevania fraud because I just don't find Bloody Tears as great as everyone else does. I have much more love for the main themes in 1 and 3.

Maybe it's because it's been covered, almost literally, to death.

Oooh really ?
even the Battle collection version ? :'(

don't worry that doesn't make you a fraud.
Any castlevania lover is a sister (or brother), even if that's for 3D games.

There, Vampire Killer to wash the bad aftertaste of what came upper