• The ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2018 results are now live! Congratulations to all the winners!
  • Sidebar and Width settings will now no longer reset after 4 hours of inactivity! We have implemented a new system that will remember these preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This allows you to choose different settings on different devices if you so desire.

CatEra |OT| Share your pics, read our tips, ask any questions

OP
OP
Weltall Zero
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I found another vet that did the x-rays for $450. Unfortunately, the news isnt great. Looks like he has vascular necrosis in the femoral head of his hind legs. Before you google it, the vet said its fairly common in male cats where the bone stops getting blood and the bone starts to die making it brittle as hell. It looks like the femoral head might be broken in the right hand side. I scheduled surgery immediately ($1000! not as bad as I thought it was gonna be but not cheap still). He goes in next Tuesday.

Has anybody elses cat had this surgery? What should I expect afterwards? Im trying to do as much research as possible online but some personal stories would be welcome.
I haven't gone through this but I told my SO to message our fantastic vet about it. He surprisingly (because he's always very grim and giving pessimistic prognoses) told us it has a very good lookout, and as long as they clean up well the femur heads it should heal without issue, which I'm quite happy to hear.

If there's anything more specific than that that you want to know, please let me know, although it's late here in Spain so I may take a while to reply.

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't gone through this but I told my SO to message our fantastic vet about it. He surprisingly (because he's always very grim and giving pessimistic prognoses) told us it has a very good lookout, and as long as they clean up well the femur heads it should heal without issue, which I'm quite happy to hear.

If there's anything more specific than that that you want to know, please let me know, although it's late here in Spain so I may take a while to reply.
Thanks for the reply.

Does he have any info about the recovery time? I didnt get a chance to ask my vet. Online, it looks like they are saying a week of no movement and then to start with physical therapy after that. Is that correct?

OP
OP
Weltall Zero
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Does anyone on here have a Birman Cat? I would love to get one but don't know how expensive they are or how and where to buy?
Please don't buy cats, there are far too many cats that need a home. Contrary to popular belief, there's even breed cats for adoption all the time, so look around first. But even if you don't find one, wouldn't you rather focus on personality, rather than breed? A cat is a companion, not a statue.

Thanks for the reply.

Does he have any info about the recovery time? I didnt get a chance to ask my vet. Online, it looks like they are saying a week of no movement and then to start with physical therapy after that. Is that correct?
I had my SO text him asking that but he may have gone to bed already. I'll let you know when he replies.

Hi, CatEra. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

I'm trying to switch my cat over to a more wet food/raw food-centric diet - any recommendations for brands in the US? Especially brands that can be found in grocery stores. She's 15+ and had dry food (prescription science diet) for most of her life. From what I can see, she's not all that picky re:wet food, although I'd prefer to get chicken over fish.

There's also, NomNomNow, which I don't know anything about beyond some random article recommending it. Has anyone tried it?

Oct 25, 2017
New Cat Week 4:

I made some screw ups this week.

1. In response to her throwing up, I changed her food. Almost a week without throwing up. But I also forgot to give her her cat treats when I got home for a few days, and now I'm wondering if the cheap cat treats were the blame. I will experiment with the food a bit, but I'm going to keep her off the cat treats (anyone have good recommendations for cat treats?)

2. I got one of those motion sensor air cans to help with her counter jumping after seeing that video about not using a spray bottle. Well, I misread the instructions with the 3ft range, and thought that was the sensor range, not the spray. So I put it at the far end of the counter. Well, 10ft away is her favorite window and cat tree. Motion senseor must have gone off when she went on it, even if she didn't get an air blast, the noise freaked her out. I get home and pick her up, and she freaks out when i get near it. Felt awful about it. Thankfully, this only lasted about a day and she's using the cat tree again and seems to have calmed down about it. I can pick her up around it without issue. But now I know to be better about where I aim the thing.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hi, CatEra. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

I'm trying to switch my cat over to a more wet food/raw food-centric diet - any recommendations for brands in the US? Especially brands that can be found in grocery stores. She's 15+ and had dry food (prescription science diet) for most of her life. From what I can see, she's not all that picky re:wet food, although I'd prefer to get chicken over fish.

There's also, NomNomNow, which I don't know anything about beyond some random article recommending it. Has anyone tried it?
I don't think I can help you, we give them mostly dry food plus canned wet food once a day (which might be too fatty for a regular diet), and we live in Spain, but I'll ask my SO anyway.

New Cat Week 4:

I made some screw ups this week.

1. In response to her throwing up, I changed her food. Almost a week without throwing up. But I also forgot to give her her cat treats when I got home for a few days, and now I'm wondering if the cheap cat treats were the blame. I will experiment with the food a bit, but I'm going to keep her off the cat treats (anyone have good recommendations for cat treats?)

2. I got one of those motion sensor air cans to help with her counter jumping after seeing that video about not using a spray bottle. Well, I misread the instructions with the 3ft range, and thought that was the sensor range, not the spray. So I put it at the far end of the counter. Well, 10ft away is her favorite window and cat tree. Motion senseor must have gone off when she went on it, even if she didn't get an air blast, the noise freaked her out. I get home and pick her up, and she freaks out when i get near it. Felt awful about it. Thankfully, this only lasted about a day and she's using the cat tree again and seems to have calmed down about it. I can pick her up around it without issue. But now I know to be better about where I aim the thing.
Don't beat yourself up, it's all a learning curve, and no lasting harm was done in either incident. :)

1- Unless you were giving her lots of treats at once, I don't think these are likely to be the culprits, it was probably the normal food. I'll ask my SO what brands she gives them, as they're locked up (for obvious reasons :D) and I don't want to wake her up (I should ask her if our vet ever answered about the femur head operation recovery time).

2- I've never used or even seen one of these in person, but I'm assuming it's actually the sound that's meant to deter them, as if it was another cat's hiss? This works really well to deter certain behaviours by the way (simply blowing / hissing at them if they come sniffing too close to your food, etc.); it's a warning they understand immediately, so they normally back off without hesitation but without resentment.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
One of the reasons I suspect the treats is that I have been gradually moving her over to the new food, so she's still been eating it (old food is Hills Science Diet). The new food is "Simply Nourish Source", a grain-free diet. Right now in the transition i'm at about 50/50 mix of the two.