• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Ah that's weird, I tried to do that using the "Insert Image" shortcut while writing the post and it kept giving me errors, so I ended up just pasting the links into the post lol

That's weird indeed. You can always just type it manually I guess:
Code:
[IMG]url here[/IMG]
Be sure to use the image's URl rather than the Imgur page's (right click the image -> copy image address).

Oct 26, 2017
Between taking Osh to the vet, and then trying to get her to take her medication...

Yesterday was extremely physically and emotionally draining for both of us.

Pretty sure she's lost a lot of trust in me.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Between taking Osh to the vet, and then trying to get her to take her medication...

What form is the medication in? If it's pills, you can get these "pill pockets", jam the pill in there and it looks and smells like a treat. We had some success with that until I guess she learned what it was :-)

Oct 26, 2017
What form is the medication in? If it's pills, you can get these "pill pockets", jam the pill in there and it looks and smells like a treat. We had some success with that until I guess she learned what it was :-)
They're like tablets. The vet recommended giving it to her straight up. Hence all the trouble.

Found out about pill pockets from a friend afterwards when I was complaining about my day 😅

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Don't worry about it at all. Humans tend to vastly overestimate cat grudges and animosity. The truth is that cats are too simple for that and as long as they keep receiving love and food, they soon forget one-time events (if they even associated you with the vet visit to begin with).

Pill pockets are very hit and miss apparently, lots of cats quickly learn to chew around the pill. It's usually better to just get good at administering them, although I understand that's easier said than done and takes a lot of practice. Easiest way for me is hold their mouth open (by very gently pressing the sides of the jaw) and straight up (as if you made them look into the ceiling), then simply drop the pill on their throats from above, which triggers the swallow reflex. This has the advantage that they can't "fake" having swallowed it and spit it afterwards, which they learn quite quickly otherwise. :D With practice it takes all of five seconds and they don't even know what happened.

Last edited:

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Hello, cat Era. I've recently adopted my first solo pet. I had a couple of cats as a kid, but we were mostly a dog family. I new to having full responsibility of an animal, so I welcome any advice y'all have. Anyway, this is a photo of my kitten, Mathilda, the day after I adopted her from the shelter about four weeks ago:

azlgZaI.jpg

She was a stray before being taken to the shelter and I claimed her the day she was dropped off. She was about three months old. The shelter didn't have enough time to run all of the necessary checks on her, so we had a scare two weeks in and I had to take her to the ER. She's on meds for a couple of parasites now, but is otherwise healthy with a handful of vaccines planned for next month. Mathilda was initially very scared and avoidant, but she warmed up to me enough to seek my attention pretty quickly. She's still pretty skittish-- running away at sudden movements or if she sees me somewhere she didn't expected I'd be, and I hope she'll get over that with time. Having just read the OP, I decided to ditch her bell collar today in the hopes that it makes her less anxious.

Here she is during this morning's sock puppet playtime:

McaEcHy.jpg

She's a needy kid and she's a big fan of licking me. I'm afraid she may be a little too attached, because sometimes she'll meow at me (seemingly for attention) when she's just been fed and finished with play time. Still, we're doing great and it's just a matter of kitten-proofing things bit by bit as new strings and wires grab her attention.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
had daww moment with Tobi. The chonky kitten. He was relaxing on the lounge chair and I sat down. Usually he enjoys his alone space but he got comfy on my lap and was falling asleep. I had to get up because it was quiet and didn't hear his brother. Thought he might be outside and didn't want him to get locked out. when i came back in he was asleep as well in his bed. ;D

Where do you guys host your pictures ?
imgur

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
had daww moment with Tobi. The chonky kitten. He was relaxing on the lounge chair and I sat down. Usually he enjoys his alone space but he got comfy on my lap and was falling asleep. I had to get up because it was quiet and didn't hear his brother. Thought he might be outside and didn't want him to get locked out. when i came back in he was asleep as well in his bed. ;D

imgur
Got it , thank you !

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hello, cat Era. I've recently adopted my first solo pet. I had a couple of cats as a kid, but we were mostly a dog family. I new to having full responsibility of an animal, so I welcome any advice y'all have. Anyway, this is a photo of my kitten, Mathilda, the day after I adopted her from the shelter about four weeks ago:

azlgZaI.jpg

She was a stray before being taken to the shelter and I claimed her the day she was dropped off. She was about three months old. The shelter didn't have enough time to run all of the necessary checks on her, so we had a scare two weeks in and I had to take her to the ER. She's on meds for a couple of parasites now, but is otherwise healthy with a handful of vaccines planned for next month. Mathilda was initially very scared and avoidant, but she warmed up to me enough to seek my attention pretty quickly. She's still pretty skittish-- running away at sudden movements or if she sees me somewhere she didn't expected I'd be, and I hope she'll get over that with time. Having just read the OP, I decided to ditch her bell collar today in the hopes that it makes her less anxious.

Here she is during this morning's sock puppet playtime:

McaEcHy.jpg

She's a needy kid and she's a big fan of licking me. I'm afraid she may be a little too attached, because sometimes she'll meow at me (seemingly for attention) when she's just been fed and finished with play time. Still, we're doing great and it's just a matter of kitten-proofing things bit by bit as new strings and wires grab her attention.

She's a beaut! Black females aren't terribly common, and black cats with green eyes aren't, either. As for being needy, that's completely natural on a kitten, especially one that's alone. Have you considered adopting another?

Also can I please beg you to remove the bell, for the reasons outlined in the OP?

Where do you guys host your pictures ?

Imgur; you just drag and drop them there, no fuss. You can then hotlink them the way I mentioned above.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that worked for us was a combination of not leaving any wires lying around, and covering any that we couldn't tidy away with that spiral cable tidy stuff.
I used this for my previous cat, Reggie. It's automotive tubing that's slit down the middle that you just push around your wires. It's nice and hard to bite through, can get it in long lengths so one package can do several different cables, easy enough to cut with scissors or a razor and can be large enough to actually do several cables at once if you have a bunch running alongside each other.

413Pc%2BRaoaL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Thanks, I went ahead and ordered some, hopefully that will do the trick. I mostly need to protect the thinner cables as she hasn't bothered the thicker cables so far.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks, I went ahead and ordered some, hopefully that will do the trick. I mostly need to protect the thinner cables as she hasn't bothered the thicker cables so far.

Yeah, cats rarely, if ever, chew on thicker cables, which at least provides some peace of mind that the dumb little things won't electrocute themselves.

Dec 2, 2017
I want to adopt a rescue. Naturally, most of their descriptions mention that they're slow to trust, or even aggressive/hostile as a result of poor treatment or not growing up around humans.

What are the odds of successfully domesticating one of these animals? And what should I know to do so? I'd probably be adopting a cat that's between 1-2 years old. I've lived with a rescue before (not mine), she was a sweet cat but never stopped being fearful.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
She's a beaut! Black females aren't terribly common, and black cats with green eyes aren't, either. As for being needy, that's completely natural on a kitten, especially one that's alone. Have you considered adopting another?

Also can I please beg you to remove the bell, for the reasons outlined in the OP?
I considered adopting another, but unfortunately my building only allows one pet regardless of size.

I was sure to take off the bell as soon as I read the OP. I'll track how her behavior compares over the next couple of weeks.

Oct 26, 2017
I want to adopt a rescue. Naturally, most of their descriptions mention that they're slow to trust, or even aggressive/hostile as a result of poor treatment or not growing up around humans.

What are the odds of successfully domesticating one of these animals? And what should I know to do so? I'd probably be adopting a cat that's between 1-2 years old. I've lived with a rescue before (not mine), she was a sweet cat but never stopped being fearful.
Do it.

Mine is a rescue. She was 1 year and 10 months old when I adopted her about two months ago. It took her a while to get acclimated and trust me. She hid under my bed for about a week and a half when I first brought her home. She would still run off to hide if I made any sudden movements or loud noises or had friends over for the first month.

Before the vet/pill incident she was starting to become more trusting. Never left my sight and was constantly coming to me asking for pets and belly rubs.

My main advice would be to give your future cat time and space. Don't rush things.

Qt3G03v.jpg

tjwSbGX.jpg

Qz9qC4L.jpg

Also I had a weird online dating thing happen wrt Osh (my cat). On Hinge this girl commented that my cat looked a lot like her friend's old cat that they had to give up for "allergy" reasons. I'm like who knows. She could be, I did adopt her from the SPCA. She asks me the name. I tell her. She starts writing in all caps "OMG IT IS THE SAME CAT!"

She's like when did you adopt her?

Me: Last December.
Her: Oh. My friend gave her up for adoption in November.
Me: Of 2019?
Her: Yeah.
Me: The shelter told me they'd had her over a year though. Also that she was literally abandoned on their front steps.
Her: That can't be right.
Me: Why would they lie?
Her: My friends are good people.
Me: Okay.

Then I unmatched her. Her friends lied to her or she's lying to me. Either way some people shouldn't have pets.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Do it.

Mine is a rescue. She was 1 year and 10 months old when I adopted her about two months ago. It took her a while to get acclimated and trust me. She hid under my bed for about a week and a half when I first brought her home. She would still run off to hide if I made any sudden movements or loud noises or had friends over for the first month.

Before the vet/pill incident she was starting to become more trusting. Never left my sight and was constantly coming to me asking for pets and belly rubs.

My main advice would be to give your future cat time and space. Don't rush things.

Qt3G03v.jpg

tjwSbGX.jpg

Qz9qC4L.jpg

Also I had a weird online dating thing happen wrt Osh (my cat). On Hinge this girl commented that my cat looked a lot like her friend's old cat that they had to give up for "allergy" reasons. I'm like who knows. She could be, I did adopt her from the SPCA. She asks me the name. I tell her. She starts writing in all caps "OMG IT IS THE SAME CAT!"

She's like when did you adopt her?

Me: Last December.
Her: Oh. My friend gave her up for adoption in November.
Me: Of 2019?
Her: Yeah.
Me: The shelter told me they'd had her over a year though. Also that she was literally abandoned on their front steps.
Her: That can't be right.
Me: Why would they lie?
Her: My friends are good people.
Me: Okay.

Then I unmatched her. Her friends lied to her or she's lying to me. Either way some people shouldn't have pets.

That's so weird indeed, although I can imagine several possible explanations:
- She was lying to make small chat (never a good sign).
- There are two cats that look the same and both are named Osh (seems unlikely).
- Her friends did indeed lie to her; at the very least, about when they gave their cat away and how.
- She got it wrong and it was November 2018 (friends still lied to her about how they gave the cat away).
Now I'm curious about which one it is, and kind of bummed we may never know. :D I guess you could always call the shelter to find out!

Oct 26, 2017
That's so weird indeed, although I can imagine several possible explanations:
- She was lying to make small chat (never a good sign).
- There are two cats that look the same and both are named Osh (seems unlikely).
- Her friends did indeed lie to her; at the very least, about when they gave their cat away and how.
- She got it wrong and it was November 2018 (friends still lied to her about how they gave the cat away).
Now I'm curious about which one it is, and kind of bummed we may never know. :D I guess you could always call the shelter to find out!
Yeah. That's true. I did call them to double check the date she was left at the shelter and it was 2018.

Oh well. I'm not too hung up on the whole thing beyond wondering how Osh became the way she is.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yeah. That's true. I did call them to double check the date she was left at the shelter and it was 2018.

Oh well. I'm not too hung up on the whole thing beyond wondering how Osh became the way she is.

Well, I guess you could contact that girl to at least clear things up, but that's up to you of course.

From your description it doesn't seem there's anything particularly unusual about Osh? Most cats are highly attached to places, people and routine, and become confused and scared at first when they are uprooted and sent somewhere else. Two months is a short time; give her a bit more to get used to you and your house (and forget the vet visit) and you'll see how friendly she becomes.

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I guess you could contact that girl to at least clear things up, but that's up to you of course.

From your description it doesn't seem there's anything particularly unusual about Osh? Most cats are highly attached to places, people and routine, and become confused and scared at first when they are uprooted and sent somewhere else. Two months is a short time; give her a bit more to get used to you and your house (and forget the vet visit) and you'll see how friendly she becomes.
Yeah. Hoenstly I agree. I think I'm putting too much weight on to what happened with the vet and pill. I tend to lose focus of the good and only see the bad 😅

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Before being a first time Cat owner about 6-8 months ago I assumed that Cats evolved from Lions, tigers, etc...much like Dogs did with Wolves. I may be stupid as hell but I had zero idea Cats were always Cats and haven't evolved much.

Also, blows my mind that indoor cats are only thing for around 60-70 years. Anyway, it's been a trip reading up on the history of these critters.

Also, this is great doc on Cats and Istanbul.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Before being a first time Cat owner about 6-8 months ago I assumed that Cats evolved from Lions, tigers, etc...much like Dogs did with Wolves. I may be stupid as hell but I had zero idea Cats were always Cats and haven't evolved much.

Also, blows my mind that indoor cats are only thing for around 60-70 years. Anyway, it's been a trip reading up on the history of these critters.

Also, this is great doc on Cats and Istanbul.

I'm the opposite, hahah. I didn't know dogs evolved directly from wolves; for some reason I assumed they had evolved from a now extinct common ancestor, like humans and apes, or indeed cats and big cats (quite the misleading name, "big cats"). It makes sense since dogs can produce non-sterile offspring with wolves, so they have to be much more closely related.

Thanks for the heads up about the documentary! I don't have YT Red but I'll keep an eye out for it.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The Doc is up for rental everywhere. Amazon, Apple, etc... It's really fantastic.

What I didn't know until a few years ago is every breed of dog has 99.9% Wolf DNA.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Minor behaviour annoyance: My cat ocasionally wakes me up. This wouldn't bother me much since she pretty much only does it minutes before my actual alarm goes off (which is impressive in its own right, but I digress) but it bothers me how weird she is about it: Instead of a mew, or walking over me or something like that she decides that the best way to wake me up is to silently climp on top of the bed (which usually wakes me up, but I ignore it) and then she tries poking my head by stretching her arm from as far as possible. If I open my eyes slightly I can see the exposed claw shaking in the air, slowly aproaching. She then taps my head once (again, with claws!) and hides her hand when I open my eyes. What.... what was all THAT?

tenor.gif
It has nothing to do with your alarm. Cats are "on schedule" unlike humans, actually. The biological clock of a cat works much better than a humans.

Try to imagine a life without timekeeping. You probably can't. You know the month, the year, the day of the week. There is a clock on your wall or the dashboard of your car. You have a schedule, a calendar, a time for dinner or a movie. Yet all around you, timekeeping is ignored. Birds are not late. A dog does not check its watch. Deer do not fret over passing birthdays. an alone measures time. Man alone chimes the hour. And, because of this, man alone suffers a paralyzing fear that no other creature endures. A fear of time running out.
It is actually wrong. Cats live on a schedule. Feeding them every day at the same time will lead to them expecting it. Anticipate it. elcome it. The trick is, to teach them a behaviour you actually support. The poking with the paw can end with you in the ER. Our first cat did that once and hurt my eye seriously.

Cats are, just like children, hard to educate. Each exception has consequences. You feed your cat once at 6 am instead of 7 or 8 and you can expect drama and show to break lose at 6 am from then on till you ignored this behaviour (=no reaction/consequence for the cat, no waking up, no food) for 1.000 times. That of course means patience.

Depending how deep learned the behaviour is, this might be longer or shorter. Our first Deaf cat grew up in the countryside. Eventually it was caught and brought to a foster care were it was not woken up for feeding time. It had to wake up by itself. Therefore it couldnt go and beg by meowing (that's something my partner taught him!).

Our second cat is a mall cat. It is not only specialized in thievery skill tree, his favourite food is human food and he is very good at begging. It took us 6 month to be able to eat a meal while he is in the same room with us. As long to get him stop howling at the moon at a decibel level that I felt incredibly sorry for our neighbours but I knew we had to go through that.

He now only meows in the morning around 5:30-7:00, not every morning! I could get rid of that, sadly my partner cant.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is my sister has a male cat. When I dropped off my roommate's cat, there was a lot of tension. My sister's cat is not neutered. My roommate's cat was always tense. A few months ago, my sister took her cat back to her apartment, and my roommate's cat was a lot less stressed.

However, now my sister is saying her cat needs to come back (because her landlord won't let her keep it), and my parents are worried that the tension will return. Is there anyway to deal with this?

Please help.
How old are the cats? First of all your soster needs to get her cat spayed. No brainer. It's irresponsible to not spay a cat. For dogs its actually an option not to, but cats just suffer when not spayed. Female as much as male. Additional the male spaying should cost less , is less complicated and less dangerous. So spay!

Next step is that you need to get the tension out of the friends cat. Take it to the vet, maybe its suffering from pain, try feliway classic without adding the new cat. prepare one room as safe heaven where the other cat does not go the next month. When he calmed down, after 1-2 weeks I'd bring the old cat back home but into one room of the house.

add feliway friends and slowly introduce them as wri

and even though I'm allergic, I haven't had issues with my allergies especially with the roomba sweeping almost daily.
How old is the cat? Allergens are more potent in male cats, kittens do not have them yet they start developing in their teens, spayed cats are less likely to be as potent.

A 9 month kitten might not make you react, but 5 years later

She has a tag and was chipped from the shelter, but want to make sure I have all areas covered. Definitely going to share some with this group, she's been a great addition to the family especially for a previous exclusive dog lover.
Im not sure how this works in us, but i think you need to register the chip on your name/address.

also consider what kind of tag you use, dangling ones on collars might get stuck and actually strangulate your poor kitty. Ill add a link.

miaustore.com

Cats and Collars: Is It Responsible Pet Ownership?

Placing a collar on a pet is, in theory, a form of responsible pet ownership. A properly fitted collar with an identification tag can save the life of a pet. Cats being more limber find themselves entangled more often in their collars than dogs, thus cats and collars can be a controversial topic.

About the vet: The first rule is leave the carrier out at all times. Always. 24/7. At the beginning you might leave treats in there, before you leave for work, randomly over the day etc. so that the cat will see it and take it.

No pushing. Just leave it. Let the sweet be the reward.

Medication can be tricky. First of all: At the beginning with a new cat when the bond hasnt been formed very deep, it will always be difficult. However, avoid any kind of forcing down the throat method. Buy treats in long strips, use them as pinchers for the pill. (Catz Finefood treats for example.) If you do it the first tIme, feed a few strips before, then pincher, then strip.

Another good trick is, also used with dogs, teach tricks. Paw etc. Ask the cat to do the trick, reward with treat, do trick again reward with pill, etc.

Never end with pill. Always with treat. Many people try tube-products to hide their pills. Salmon, etc. I discouragethe use of that, cats just lick it off and you gotta force it down.

Login • Instagram

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
2560px-Bicolour_Cat_Patterns.jpg

Found this very interesting.

Also I saw four cats (outdoors from different neighbors) having a meeting under a tree yesterday.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
someone brought their puppy to work. both cats and the puppy are scared of each other. thenn again they are scared when they see new people lol.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Taking my 14 year old cat to the vet at 3:30, he is breathing too fast/hard. I am utterly terrified, he is my best buddy, always with me and since I work from home he is almost always with me.

Taking him to the vet is always hard too because my husband and I are the only two people who can touch him, normally he has to be sedated at the vet.

He is acting fine beside breathing too hard/fast.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I feel flattered, thank you.

White cats and Deafness is pretty much (deep) into genetics. Now for those who are interested, I will go into that a bit. First of all: White cats are no albinos.

The W-Gen
There is one locus that is responsible for the cats (white) fur color. This can be either: W (white, dominant over all other, also it masks other fur colors), ws (responsible for white spots e.g. cow cats) or w (no white, the fur's color is then decided by other locus). We do not only have these 3 options. The w-gen is not only pleiotropic but also epistastic. This leads to the following possible combinations:

W dominates ws und w
ws dominates w
w is recessive

W/W - homozygot white (white cat)
W/ws - herterozygot white, white spotted (white cat)
W/w - heterozygot white, non white (white cat)
ws/ws - homozygot white spotted (white spots)*
ws/w - heterozygot white spotted, non white (white spots)
w/w - homozygot non white, non white spotted (not white - other locus decide the color)

*A cat with ws/ws also may develop the same side-effects as a cat with W.

Side-effects of the W-Gen
The W-Gen causes other side-effects which occur irregularly: For one the cat might be one or both sided Deaf. This is caused by the the cochlear not developing properly.

One or both eyes lack pigmentation: All kittens are born with no pigments in their iris, those of you who have raised kittens know that the true eye color will start developing at the age of 4 to 10 weeks. This process won't take place in those cats who are affected by the side-effect. This may happen to one or both eyes. This is something breeders actually try to achieve. Odd-eyed cats do look unique and special after all. Brown is a very pigmented color, and the closer it gets to blue the less pigments the cat has in its iris. Possible are Copper, orange, gold, yellow, green.

The eye-color is not decided by one locus only, that's why many factors must be considered here. Blue eyes can be caused by C^sC^s (Siam) this has no iris stroma pigmentation and a pigment-less tapetum. Siam eyes have side effects too. It may happen that the cat suffers from strabismus.
W-gen related blue eyes do not have iris stroma pigmentation, pigment-less tapetum and no fundus pigmentation.
S-gen it is identical to the eyes of the w-gen as it is part of the spotted gen.

Odd-eyed cats with a blue eye often have no tapetum in the blue eye. The problem with the blue eyes are not only because of (potential) deafness but also strabismus. It is possible for an odd-eyed cat to have 2 different causes for the blue eyes. One caused by the W-gen and one by the C^sC^s gen.

What are the odds?
75 % W/W white cats are Deaf
25 % W/W white cats are hard of hearing

60 % W/w white cats are hearing
21 % W/w white cats are Deaf
17 % W/w white cats are hard of hearing

33,3 % (W/ws) white spotted cats are hearing
33,3 % (W/ws) white spotted cats are hard of hearing
33,3 % (W/ws) white spotted cats are Deaf

According to a study by Bergman and Brown homo-zygote WW-cats always have blue eyes. Two blue eyed WW cats produce most likely also blue eyed kitten.
More interesting facts: Most white deaf cats are blue-eyed. Deafness is less spread among white cats with pigmented eyes. Odd-eyed are less often deaf than blue-eyed.

So you say I must be hearing? Nope sorry.

Deafness is unrelated to breed, however long haired cats are more likely to be Deaf. A contradiction? No. The cause does not lie in the breed but rather in its popularity. Therefore are less Deaf short haired cats breed than long hair.
This is all based on research done in the 1960/1970s.

White cats with blue eyes must be possible without risking deafness
1960 Turner has taken this problem and developed a breeding program. As Siamese cats weren't known to suffer from Deafness they tried to eliminate it by breeding in the recessive C^sC^s gen from Siam. "Foreign White". As the Deafness related gen has nothing to do with the eye color but rather with the fur color, this experiment failed. Siam cats can be Deaf due to the W-gen as well.

Interesting to know:

Ryudo used to have 8 black hairs on his forehead as well as a shadow pattern. Gone. :( They outgrow over time.

It is possible for a WW cat to actually have a spot on their forehead for example. This does not mean the cat is (not) Deaf. The spot will slowly disappear over time.

Now I can't recall where I read it, but I have heard also that odd-eyed cats are often Deaf on the blue-eyed side.
Albino cats exist, they are more common among oriental/Siamese cats and have red eyes.

To return to the beginning question:
Can white cats with blue-eyes be yet hearing? Yes. Ww is very well possible. Also normally white cats are breed by adding in other shades such as FAWN-SILVER-SHADED or LILAC-SILVER-SHADED. The blue eyes can be added by using the siam gen. CREAM-SHELL-CAMEO would be another option.

What you should keep in mind is, that the white fur itself is not the best choice for the cat. Pigments are meant to block UV-light, the lack there of leads to more problems with long exposure to sun. So additionally to hard of hearing, deafness, eye defects they are more likely to develop skin cancer.

2560px-Bicolour_Cat_Patterns.jpg

Found this very interesting.

Also I saw four cats (outdoors from different neighbors) having a meeting under a tree yesterday.
It's lacking ghost pattern thoughts! Lovely trip through genetics.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Haru and Nemu are growing so fast I want to cry.

833de930-c596-4ab7-bwpkz6.jpeg

e6e36a79-4a77-4b6a-b6hjkr.jpeg
Man, I wanna rub that belly. Cute cat.

Took some pictures of Jonesy playing while I ate breakfast this morning. It's not common that I get his right flank in a photo. You can see all the hair grew back orange from his surgery.
7omqEZV.jpg

Successfully liberated the jingle ball from its cardboard prison:

05U3ikl.jpg

Pc0lEW1.jpg

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Taking my 14 year old cat to the vet at 3:30, he is breathing too fast/hard. I am utterly terrified, he is my best buddy, always with me and since I work from home he is almost always with me.

Taking him to the vet is always hard too because my husband and I are the only two people who can touch him, normally he has to be sedated at the vet.

Any updates on this? Keep us posted, OK?

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

Oh no, will be thinking of your buddy <3

Chloe is still having ups and downs, she's been somewhat normal since the last time I posted about how she wasn't well. Still somewhat frail but definitely has an appetite and still goes to the bathroom (although she largely misses the litterbox, sometimes poops around the house though I suspect this is more of a scent thing to frustrate Taika). Just spends an unusually long time doing strange things like sitting in front of the water fountain almost endlessly without drinking. But then she will drink and be okay.

She could well be in pain and breathing seems slightly laboured, but I don't think she's in enough pain that it overrides her will to be (and to boss) around her humans and giant greyhound brother. Still comes into the kitchen when I'm cooking as well in case I have any stray ham, cheese or chicken to give her, bless her tiny soul.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Any updates on this? Keep us posted, OK?

The vet believes its probably cancer. He had fluid in his lungs and 2 small masses near his lungs.

He said there is a very small chance of pneumonia so they gave him an antibiotic shot but not to get my hopes up for that.

They could not get bloodwork because he was fighting him so they want him to come back later in they werk and they will fully sedate him.

I am devastated. He is my shadow, almost always with me and he has such a huge personality.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The vet believes its probably cancer. He had fluid in his lungs and 2 small masses near his lungs.

He said there is a very small chance of pneumonia so they gave him an antibiotic shot but not to get my hopes up for that.

They could not get bloodwork because he was fighting him so they want him to come back later in they werk and they will fully sedate him.

I am devastated. He is my shadow, almost always with me and he has such a huge personality.

I'm very sorry; my deepest empathy. Two of our cats are also our respective shadows, and even though the loss of any of the others would be downright tragic, these two would break us.

I wish I could do anything to help, but have at least my empathy and know we're always here if you need to talk about it.

Oct 26, 2017

That sucks. I wish you both the best.

#fuckcancer

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Pill pockets are helpful, but there are many pills you simply cant mask (the big pill I gave my dog for example).

That's why I always recommend to work with the treat, treat, pincher, treat methode, which cant be chewed around. Later in combination with tricks.

Eventually you will end up with a cat like shiro who will eat the pill pure because he knows else no treat. (He's been on meds for a year.)

Oh no, will be thinking of your buddy <3

Chloe is still having ups and downs, she's been somewhat normal since the last time I posted about how she wasn't well. Still somewhat frail but definitely has an appetite and still goes to the bathroom (although she largely misses the litterbox, sometimes poops around the house though I suspect this is more of a scent thing to frustrate Taika). Just spends an unusually long time doing strange things like sitting in front of the water fountain almost endlessly without drinking. But then she will drink and be okay.

She could well be in pain and breathing seems slightly laboured, but I don't think she's in enough pain that it overrides her will to be (and to boss) around her humans and giant greyhound brother. Still comes into the kitchen when I'm cooking as well in case I have any stray ham, cheese or chicken to give her, bless her tiny soul.
It is important to remove stains and smell with pet smell remover.

Cats do not mark with poo. They piss, they rub, etc. but no poo.

I'd take her to the vet, especially if she still has breathing problems. She's still fighting something, and it shows. That's a huge red warning sign.