• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Halo 2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Middle of Nowhere
Resized-20181119-222310-5710.jpg

Truly an awful quality picture, but it's so rare I get these three little peckers in the same picture.
Awwww

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Seeking advice. Re-posting from another thread:

We are in a master bedroom with an attached ensuite bathroom. There is no door in the doorway between the bedroom and ensuite. As such, there is limited privacy in the bathroom if either Mrs Bernbaum or myself need to do a piss. I don't mind pissing in front of people but it bothers her, so I've gotten a hanging bamboo bead curtain to hang over the doorway (better than nothing).

Our cat sleeps in the master bedroom, and one of his feed bowls and water are kept in the bathoom, so he will go in there to eat/drink. I received the bead curtain delivery yesterday (haven't hung it up yet), and Mr Taco is TERRIFIED of it. He hates the sound they make and flips the fuck out. He can't even look at the beads where I've got them sitting on the floor (buying hooks tonight to attach to doorway). He thinks it is snakes. He thinks lots of things are snakes - namely laptop cables.

When I get the beads hanging up, is Mr Taco going to adapt to the bead curtain or will they keep him anxious?

He'll sleep in the bedroom side of the bead curtain but know what his food on the other side. I totally get why he flips the fuck out - it looks like snakes and it rattles. The little cunt is an indoor cat and hasn't even seen snakes and yet he's always whinging about there being snakes in the house.

This is a really, really specific situation, obviously, so it's hard to say if your cat will adapt to it. For the time being I would advice making sure he also has food and water (and litter boxes!) outside the bathroom so that he isn't forced to pass through the courtain if he doesn't want to. Remember it's best to separate all these three things (the litter box far from food and water is obvious, but as I mention in the OP, cats drink less if water is close to food and it might cause kidney problems in the long run).

You can use herbs like valerian (spread some around the curtain) to make your cat more relaxed, play with him and give him treats near the door, etc. to make him associate it with good things and lose its fear of it. I guess installing an actual door there (which would probably also make your wife happier) is out of the question?

Oct 25, 2017
i put treats near it and he just had dinner about a meter away from it. He is currently sitting on a part of the bed where he doesn't have the bead curtain in view.

aCid

Aug 18, 2018
Canada
qwKK2Gd_d.jpg

R8GcMQl_d.jpg

Jq5UTDM_d.jpg

crFAruV_d.jpg

I'm a new cat person and my lovely polydactyl half-Siamese 1 1/2 yr old, Earl, has a fixation on hard plastic or hard cardboard. He also chews through any cable, especially iPhone charging cables and even coax (!).

I know this is a pics thread but just thought I'd ask for any suggestions to try to get him off those habits? I thought it was a just phase at first (teething?) but it's now been over a year and he still does it. It's always around the time he would be hungry but I feed him twice and he is a BEASTLY 1 1/2 yr old, so certainly not being underfed.

Sorry about the long post, hope it's not too derailing. I really appreciate any tips!

Also, sorry about the size of the pictures!

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember if I replied in this thread before, but it's by far the best thread on era. Cats <3

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a new cat person and my lovely polydactyl half-Siamese 1 1/2 yr old, Earl, has a fixation on hard plastic or hard cardboard. He also chews through any cable, especially iPhone charging cables and even coax (!).

I know this is a pics thread but just thought I'd ask for any suggestions to try to get him off those habits? I thought it was a just phase at first (teething?) but it's now been over a year and he still does it. It's always around the time he would be hungry but I feed him twice and he is a BEASTLY 1 1/2 yr old, so certainly not being underfed.

Sorry about the long post, hope it's not too derailing. I really appreciate any tips!

It could potentially be boredom, siamese are known for being intelligent and quite demanding of attention, they're really sociable cats. Does he get left alone for long periods? He could just be trying to amuse himself.

aCid

Aug 18, 2018
Canada
It could potentially be boredom, siamese are known for being intelligent and quite demanding of attention, they're really sociable cats. Does he get left alone for long periods? He could just be trying to amuse himself.

I've heard about this before and had an idea what we would be getting into as far as caring for a Siamese. But he is only half, sometimes he's very chill and sometimes quite hyper active. Unfortunately, yes, he does stay home alone quite a bit but when my girlfriend and I are home, we try to give him a lot of attention (he demands it haha).
We tried getting him toys to entertain him and steer him away from damaging our stuff, but he's never taken to any of them. The majority of his toys are old socks and paper bags haha!
Any ideas as to what toy we could try for him? Thanks again!

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
qwKK2Gd_d.jpg

R8GcMQl_d.jpg

Jq5UTDM_d.jpg

crFAruV_d.jpg

Please lose the collar with the bells. Imagine how that would drive you insane if you wore bells that made a sound every time you moved.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
I've heard about this before and had an idea what we would be getting into as far as caring for a Siamese. But he is only half, sometimes he's very chill and sometimes quite hyper active. Unfortunately, yes, he does stay home alone quite a bit but when my girlfriend and I are home, we try to give him a lot of attention (he demands it haha).
We tried getting him toys to entertain him and steer him away from damaging our stuff, but he's never taken to any of them. The majority of his toys are old socks and paper bags haha!

I think one of my cats, Bowser, is half siamese and has a similar personality. He has a habit of scratching my curtains or one chair whenever he wants attention. I've not found any solution (ignoring did NOT work) except to respond immediately and play with him.

There's some pet spray products that make things taste/smell bad which could potentially help. It worked on Bowser's brother for me (he used to like scratching a single mat) but not Bowser. Just make sure you dont spray all your house with it because you obviously don't want your cat to feel unwelcome everywhere (and it'll probably create a new behavioural problem).

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow you went with the names I suggested (well, and that your dad suggested). Awesome!
Cute pictures everyone, btw.
Haha, well even if my dad suggested something else, my mom loved Snap, Crackle and Pop so it was 2 against 1. Although in hindsight, had I known they were two boys and a girl, I would have named them Yacko, Wacko and Dot.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Haha, well even if my dad suggested something else, my mom loved Snap, Crackle and Pop so it was 2 against 1. Although in hindsight, had I known they were two boys and a girl, I would have named them Yacko, Wacko and Dot.
All good names but it probably works best to not have 2 cats with names that sound very similar.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keep em coming guys and gals.

I enjoy cat pictures so much, such elegant and cute animals. :D

BTW, do you guys ever give a bath to your cat? Mine is one year and a half (interior cat) and I never felt the need to...she takes good care of herself and smells good all the time.

I also think that if I ever give it a shot, I'll have a terrible, terrible hell of a time. :lol

Aiustis

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cybertronic Purgatory

BTW, do you guys ever give a bath to your cat? Mine is one year and a half (interior cat) and I never felt the need to...she takes good care of herself and smells good all the time.

I also think that if I ever give it a shot, I'll have a terrible, terrible hell of a time. :lol

I have bathed her on occasions...she's gotten into something or when she may have fleas Mine is real gentle so she doesn't put up a fight, though she does mew like she's dying

Rory

Oct 25, 2017

First of all a chewy cat should go to the vet to get their teeth checked. Just like teething babies, adults with nasal sinus infection or gingvitis their gums itch which make them want to "scratch" it by chewing on stuff.

Often their gums are reddish, get their teeth cleaned and/or checked for FORL.

As to what you can do: protect cables with extra stuff to wrap around, cable tunnels etc., get wooden sticks. After dental cleaning use this toothpaste.

Our cat chewed less on furniture after we got a second cat.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017

after shiros first adventure on the attic i did, but by now i dont give bath anymore. They will join me uninvitedlybin the shower anyway.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just got a cat. Named her Freya. Someone abandoned her by the warehouse where my dad works at but he couldn't keep her since she keeps getting out. First ever cat for me and I've grown attached real fast. Cats are pretty cool.

4974b5b9-0d61-4cd8-a8riws.jpeg

aCid

Aug 18, 2018
Canada
Thanks for all the suggestions y'all! Including the one about the bell... after some research, I've promptly removed it from his collar. We love him to bits but definitely realize it will be a learning experience. Threads like this help make it as smooth an experience so thanks again.

Never had to bath Earl, he is constantly patiently cleaning himself! Truly a cat after my own heart 'cause I'm a clean freak.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I think one of my cats, Bowser, is half siamese and has a similar personality. He has a habit of scratching my curtains or one chair whenever he wants attention. I've not found any solution (ignoring did NOT work) except to respond immediately and play with him.

There's some pet spray products that make things taste/smell bad which could potentially help. It worked on Bowser's brother for me (he used to like scratching a single mat) but not Bowser. Just make sure you dont spray all your house with it because you obviously don't want your cat to feel unwelcome everywhere (and it'll probably create a new behavioural problem).
Where is Bowser allowed to scratch?

aCid I didnt see your question for toy ideas. Siamese cats are incredibly clever. They need mental challenges. Clicker training, parcours, tricky feeder... siamese cats often figure out ways to open doors as well! Challenge him mentally, give him option for cat tv, and last, but not least dont support his bad behaviour by playing with him when he starts acting up. Do it before he has the chance.

Siamese cats are very demanding. A second cat might make it eadier for you, especially if you are gone for long. First moment it might sound like more work, but while it does mean yes twice food etc. They entertain each other.

Before we got a second cat we had to play with shiro for 1 hour at least, after that it went significantly down to 30 minutes.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
qlHXbGP.jpg

This is Cattwo. I adopted her from a mutual friend who couldn't keep her. She was living in their old abandoned house.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
Where is Bowser allowed to scratch?

There's scratch posts/cardboard around and he uses them when he genuinely wants to scratch stuff. I've tried leaving various things around the curtains. He's smart - he scratches the curtains because he it gets a reaction from me (feed me/play with me). After Bowser's brother died, I pretty much had to get another cat because he demanded so much attention all the time from me (or never sleep more than 2 hours at a time).

Naughty Bowser and the curtains:

Finn sitting on my new pillow:

Bowser's late brother, Jupiter (who looks much more siamese):

Oct 27, 2017
She doesn't like me mopping the floor, especially when she's sleeping.
l9zNRpo.jpg

She found a fly in the lamp, so obviously she had to stare at it.
OpVt4DN.jpg

Crawling under things and hiding is fun.
LAF5bvt.jpg

Stalking my SO.
m5kU5iF.jpg

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
3JulJytdCvreV0Fzz1I7YaukkC6g3eIUBKazEQeniYLcLDoPxGloycB8XiNfM1XNM5iJD_crkY9k54DCZ9fbsR4y49ezXGwkThyRosAHZopM8WqEklrOZI_5fKER69cbqtIF7HaVSJNkFT2ylX1E_TQiFO1V79Z5c4JbISKWjA7yy3zgUR6ohJVPRW9V2XP_J49FN2-OgyapfYw_ED_AG5Wp0if5I4zIJIWWmvsMi_BJfrzXuyRswQMyYzEq9rHvrCG8sXrFKWVC45bIFVyrQT32w9FyGzA_kiLk17z7j_CKihBCzqxIkaM6M68M1iYD2fEfdu50SZx868BkagND5Fi4XlnlILORmWagU76lVkLGhVESNnV2iuCk_8xuvTQ1t_U7pOn6Hg3RvYqJCFGTDSQBd8wnHXp-SVZu1njwSoUP48zJlb3xazbDqyaK4ywP2950FzPAn9wqOH4X8YO9f5c2dQ1NLUUk2qK0j0OxQbJ-om8seNnn08V1Wjl9qUG7wXexmd04Aro2WQ6fHijdjLz_L5Xt-TdIH7WCgP0tpFtKzbVL5gyuIJ4PzY0gxGAFpX7p8tP8E5jlDYl85vshtIUPUHeKnPiF4ox69OnYxUcp8H7KzlhlGASLNXt_E9PkyFRER6CZyglabdjazXevTTkGVES5stsD_6kWmQMrmY_xKFZHQqMg4VgHS7S4LYTU8ghUBDvUWXWkRhUdxHo=w1741-h979-no

d0lOOfCGbt-np5lI7Er5f9dTF3NsxTatdfhLhVz2-dtVUs1bLXb6X7cnGi2M8-ZCvIZgH2uyr5xJZAplP9QXckIaScWiPURsx_7DgHS9xeLNQ_5iKXoMWtxIYGsKkvFR3Y_fsmgLsAZQqNtW6jJZMne5AKlbCAMwGe4yOA7m0ZvfBOdZK8eCKON8eWk1d_T5TWaxjZO5bf-NVU7izdG9Xl_xgQYONjv4JJW5TX-85vjgK09aGEz7aMf3bpA6XzVA1PLoPrwwoOVceShqkvMyOSnSuYEG-wMrVzHzBEsbTrc-g5aaurk392Do44Uzg3ZIeB-M2GPkb2mgsYmdEp1BeeDpv6q7cTM-ilgjNmUWFrtz727ivyPeMwWxFoJri099_CqlFLZe0HI4NEYeiKCGknk70km03AiDXrxKloXAQfkW2pyUXs25TUv1mO3Jme4GU-ZPC5jHnPj8rB-CMZwtquYiKYWN4yqg5PkjEtsGtnhi8H5NjwfDGJdMGqVHP_qOeYJlxR4fcKyHiDsY7bYj9Oj9eLt2dPPX1Ms_IVlGbnxfiIBH_PJHTJLKkHiSgd7EXlwxNFaq2XHObBXTpwW8GNlzNl201pn6Y0AR8NkhVQo-C2BRzvUM3GpDyNmvg3IMsdFzOOkZEIg5tkPnWAzx6f7Qu5_-dcdbFQkAAktbeEmaQ6SYAtvgE-Vn1DgAdWA2WtfX_5mLbOsv4HJhuPU=w1741-h979-no

zFJlelz5On9ZkzVLaSPaSPeVCFtLxzTNvT0J1vB-rb4g2gEh01_obFOf0VRW5-iHoRN4As0QlCG8I5q9JRSfkJCv6pR0KTzd13hIe-XZ04SHmio0UkB643u-CoCJdb5MVWnZEba7s-wdOuQMTLOGRT1wkA7VDgVOpE6_Djw5WjKhpce1rUPbfnuT5TRziXA-_vcI8XoMkcBlEpGLjXWGMLNvYOQm8pAxNszINQqSoVer36PLopXITtKyhU9NtEKDQiDmj3kXpcpdUWf_6lGaEfDF7FYvVfHRmzVEg1p9Y0bl0K794v0LEW7_S1ese3Hz8sF3U1P-YdgjcLW8f3xmCPIYrutKSEW7s3YrxGCX3SlpqxOPXCrM_HbTij8Dg1F4q4nu-f2XGhQ8wkkusUPoaQ01NoiUlCHxcNbwaSSmRdBf_Crk3slfN0mCMT8R0wHXXscF1IPF3To18z7oNSZLIUCpDb9Jk4pU-bf2I7duZ1-n4iOvjUcS5QPVSTgaSQ3jHfPGmRDcErv4y-jc0YEPGeGwV6aELe5TM_jIEPfmLa9-mIQjWVs3zhSNpuVl8E3OHt8iv5SY0y5V4s9bc7p5aUbyd0j8b-_bUmhrMWRUsfHdmxz6G8ZIbSYPdmWHe6g5WuytMnngk3JA6FjDUAEcPWYdJc28rY4RvDCR9QrsidW2AKJQrj91zHG98wGnUy9IYSuQ1XLDMb0klv2rQRE=w1741-h980-no

4sKXXFmOUGtw6aqxhR5d0hFSYBsGt0eZOWUS9t3zLy_4dWOt6R74GFza108ekkNCc2GTQvfY2snjWjrM50UqqyKGUclQxYoQr1FBOttWYk1df_IbzdECcCXbV2iO39q70YFA2CdUAIBWf8-LSej9aQbtu6k9xL1y9V1Pjj50lDawXOYpjqYgICXdrZNJjQZqWadkLM5SB0ZGhv5JT5TyJflCJOSRxsiCD7qNOJh2NnBFdmcDZN0uNWiFW_nZVHi4J6COh0iu19RfTk9ZCa_JUqkML0pfXUeqq6wFjPhH38p6LnreNENa5E-wp_NjiYH2FPKtiDaZ7lBg32TA6FtL78SS6UNlq3M9QubRA1GCUvMHdzv_BKWV19jjsKqlq3wF1ZynQFYJRGOioW3fs-KVu3ka3KkgtSRaHz0J98D6zsqXTENnGKjJ2_72BIKkscZTP1VTXfUJtCvVaCv7PklI_AWJhBMYsYf9meaqP0ufUDkf78p147FWQas7wUnB0qeZcMdRtm-TQYDfSDX2U00juehCBCWmXnGm5BkiRayM5WVRBIpP3ne3kxxKhfLv06YmWzigxWyCw51CGK0mlYO50dR-5gLta4uUdIZzcfuds5F4BO0l4TWNTjLdPJw7znHQym8TmsCzFk614ZP4yixSwhk2ZzD6OFW88mLz_5po1ycTPGiILPhlAOnvvVSOlziDmFWcV8RRfeY_82JdOI0=w1741-h979-no

Jza-4bCXvUpjyGkwhXondaE4w_F1sUNBtNaTxYFcE_hvyQvNhW3IBaIVNpulVsn0a8Wg4K1n8ll5TtEVpcw1ijMaf_yDx2Owp-Rdq1s-56MD35KjjAuzs2g_81UOngM3U5COvuwciKV1UksSMt1EsO5Ns1UjHbF__DVuA7f5rzJ52gckc5qbfALd2AIwAotAXjiLGf7cRTcJqw3jM4_AmfySuNWol2TafT0QbjLSnhJc9JRRwjlnHnKQi7j2ec7gx_LGZPtOh32Qi2-N0ZxN3xMbwuf04h5xUDO6K9l6Z6TgIvenihvtJQEBkLhK4ZlLFIkv-ooHpauPu2KCINPVTC7HBv-BG-Fc3McFoyj4VBTGEBe67SxXSikq7ohcbBbY-GnkCaAtLMSDQ1axKISzxJSU3-U46A1HMbyrSHsRnv04Hol5FOTNfF_BdIfvfjIeVHSzHYU4XmTZJ64VM6OtamuPpHhhy8ZzNi7aSDplPvOExJLBur7XbuSeXVL02ERjK6Vzkqp3xYFECwUmG7p2mg2rcElreSZEFeObrqnRBwqqwTRCW6TosETDTOHngWEI8zonJvWt944GbIpWtHZgAm8nexKf_RSti3MGzyjFJ97sAMSHLI9mzmqyqE1HDuE9QvfyQ6mX5rJZWy-QFu-r73ajiRs570V-lr45p6wGdxuFPSygCmb0K26tw9_4DKQOwuEMm4yKW486lsmyAmY=w1741-h979-no

56XyGT7hsYOt9tv9sw4hLuYtkI7Aa5bTQGNfu4khhXS97_YOorSDaaDlkmS1aRW92S37RFh2DX6sfd6gg4959dkhBroMjj5LLeGoC4fcxGwNiGsGvNkG-pWlO21nXqwlTZJp1B45O9SPiz5wdphRADxUmojLXg2lx49-GXVBOhH2J26y8n8liwukTcnj4QoT8cMcz41d_IFg826yguLveL6UYoQ_AyG-59qq1JFhBzkeqXXYZWv9DaH1cjqnQKZ8GHLEyYeVpziK_4-pPriG8xXDdz9ntP-WIiDL6ElXKEXSUID7Bs1i8i3y3pyF9i3crhwRZKaIzfXL71Y9_ci2NS5b0p0LD-60_AHR_RbJritYGB7RuOoCAeDs2bVTEAgOJguP_Ic0ZsBR4ADSsnHC7R_MqbOHn2J3inB_t9FIOjuKBs44wwdVq46DyBIR0lfo6_dMavNnRBoFLuCoTFJ-XqATzk34ubk33Qvi9P7hEwQfzy-cBt3Q72wcdqHnTR_qBdIo3O_0Z7Gb-s2O4y2ZY7RlQULC3rjvrr0MScMDihlZgkGynO3pQ82SxG2KgEB7MFiGlyG8FIkfblM4wziISJxLoffCGytrrcGAfRpDpO6ueR6e7-gGNdWTkEhPXgRlhdRbyzzGhRsPbSKfZ-tgGDGrKfBLf7n8zLoIEr468iElPYY6ik8uQ7lN_nb0JfrhOYM_roCJ2t1MJJt15YY=w1741-h979-no

kb6mEsl6m9WHfncFKIMZttxhodEMxTG7_qJEvF8PqtHmNkOwsGouB12l4EeZs1-PNzYZhlid174a1AC5an2kghevJa3FmJOMQvwHUoSBgaF79MCvXtycYINRbTNXXc7Um7l-rYPCEcwqe-lzxIZrHebtA1D5E7H0YNbescql_i06LUSS81mKb3uctwpOSueC4Kyl6V8MkbMNttzK4jfOYsDcV2K-lbVZhYR1Y-uu7duqmmkbenBcR4kJCVYKcigqKf5NRdyfH8KgQ2kpcUvUp4zyYqogKpVnOkGiQI2UFMK2vqhRBYmoN3-E5wpE8VGKKUtkyyaWG-CfS3-ziSHPpK4U8CVSFx72Tqb7uHGE2n-teIPlHMmnkOa9Byz07Q-PNcsAvcpX1IdrjJzhTBVcup9aM_hrvhXrQSbFRzGKYrOAD-QafFkdUZix6XGCfdC5w_29cq-d5WKs4RvjdU4B0MG2BGLyXhXndek7Wo3HplI_h0nQw3sqw7aU8NF8ue2-NXB2IUe6ibbwxZMM1vF54HrWW_3vLOE7B0_AjHKnPEFYWs9Db9hiSlc29tD75dMuDS9UVU-dtcEuhCS9orMjWkzvU1Bv1xNyZaBFNbUS312zboKOkQM8ukLRlQI-6hc87r2TUE7q2Af_bKMN6peX7BbrCoei3EMynaZ2fGVo7v7CzO2rLN1WsV4J8ciEBDW6hbrIDEH89yVNuq7Dr9E=w1741-h979-no

lRNAYDOYr9DywJI73YYVfLi152EUVcf5v9OZGBD36NrDA0iQ6Lk4kULz_34jhBA8reVWooxTe4itoFYJwxvdZWLfdUhLJ_MVHCge0Nv-rETt6Moufu7OrzgqeqgH3Fu-Axrs4ROHfDUfIKIFasnoa615V_ysuBOqct9N8pnaGscSdher5TZcNu9ymT-FJzTI2fXwYDPGHzNTjROca8HYPZf4krkpcKdRrk_3tWNL8DxN9XiUnW4N-V0jCXvIeW3_-RwsEbn7mbfHNhNKrhLyXUXv7w1O-7WO6Rxx-iTJyXQY_ZJeL7LpPxjWfsbFrgUdLZYaRHmZgEklwVIyARYdqVn8FrzG0eBb3DILpZH_va8zl1MIkwZc82ty26-MuFzngH8xiz9NUg_6yESByIBWW4x3y6faqoBiGiNdf1OPOGWDSpM0TTMMDlsLkTfWxTFmDVoBUgT47IgvikVknfSLpqUm-67l6X2VGdKwmsAyru-QmCuRTPGWXmH01_nDHSnfY9kvWP_IMnmxiAAFevfAzROWsr_N0srfCOaymkGvZvVh2QLBS3bSa8MCcJY1BPoReSflorifpzI_e3a5snD-SzXLhJXwKXxd5PcS7kuO_lsPLdmWMxHjpJX4fEW38Bx3uTL_FGPLXoBTOrqgZNWRxCr2t4-pqb_oMS8eMiMsPTbPXyx_Q2EvWo5QloqVeeSLKhutpBtu_LnbUQ7TbWo=w551-h979-no
KH4MmzeLat0sPKaSZtXO7K2pUUOabeuZqVu41Gn0s6Eb1m8WM2t8uKtwggofjuYJpoACFD_GXWwGLDwo4HpdxnKU0d_U_koWlwpceJIjO361gJDDlYYGXXHmeJ7sTPiiTeO5XPw9zFQ7jx8jR0B0sMsuq0scvfgmbvUAoAeQ8urqbMFf6ifpFGFHQtQMMuEED5x7Jpxrhjh_HmZ9tTrhoVJkEngZSrf8_Y4V0BcBuvzcIdLWJ5wELyn6P26exNHHIQ8x1I02UEADukkhD3GYcoS2ChLQOUjOWjpMPtaLqmaq6uu7tVxRraCZwGE98Do44jfykBWLAkR2YX2O9bwNN4X9s_niAfbjdevlV_sfYaCn2XgAjWOS4CsbvZw1WGqrdbbPksJvRhHiE-BpekUrPQttmysUviOX4HSgJ9bhePwo3QyslvgrUwW7NOqTBdwnmjQ-PTS6ecRjzbwepAhbJgVTi8uf3Zc3VMBoRP9IIBvD3B6-4snSk5g5A9K0xpy7a0IwFv_cd-BrExvkfYT66MDKUXbQ7zPHAKyxToirO52Zhavq9LwMGd9OzLvIHxXx8heDK-EIX7NbCcCamV9jNUBny5cblZxzpcMK3Vd-067Kmmjmp2ObcKE1Xs_ZgQKI5B6IfQQZyek4wNxWAl2XZ6-idi49PSD2-HFPuVEqd0OpljAISdEpU8kegiSYBurPjz84h9_RC8pvuGV2MU8=w551-h979-no
3VrOrX3jTvanWaZ3j5Xr6YZ_dpbTtI20saG-IMPTq8YUQGOPw4XxEfndM_AHyJtOqu-kITaE1kmW4EaIrfMcSpMzERzPgBQG0EsUKB6KiPA9SGkjJV17ECbeMKUbZj1CxaQr4Pbaz-peztVf-3ybSFG0C3ODny60zl6YKiWsHv9-pIPX0tC7SyO8fXSdw8A1XaXP741pz05kKnueHWGn67BXvPzcmVSuf5N_4dEsuWmqxo6LyTpQR9ZvSSSks-AgBA4-3L3jlBbsufAQnZQkTWQTsIgwXeyDxhFDoAAw0--OXXKjY_ejRfRRB0d1eI9eliWWy9Y6bMg9g7nDFIgT6xUgBRByG4-IHXLNche_OJr1kZIzplygUn8Unp5ODRTZgitAY1cWpBplrFj-4d98zjyp-n-d8uRMDac4XNGXj09gRpoU8YfdABucf19D3jf2LKZycJ4lqaFlyAZ5ArjzLgijOTmWOuOnZWKFkg2OfowW09FDsn1gR1VqpdCgLjfVbi4ykntJ6qUhJXkmp94ddf1PWD7eKwaNQYSELwcfzaWvLmkaCkfnN6yQaPRawUAmESQCkotMls_QGnJpH_QS0QuqhAZj8Ml6GbMIyRpnHyknkUNVX2l2W1w-a1_evNSoDX1lU0dVXodSm3AgK8TdmmMshnfUUz6zC2nwL4tSKnEaft16pYD6IHnfzQA76MUedKM3hvtHqq3dRoURImY=w551-h979-no
9j-l7eTX0u_4gxeOEIJtq-XTx0GcHuhYN-tD4BHdimgUshA1rRFoCiHou0atcQ0Gqy52bahms7fDjmbxRIUsEfvNjjlLVr_u-MAJb_knDGakctgpxB54ccvO2ZL_b5NTI4A2h86J9iodeSspuJWd87Pm76r3xErwJ_-HOVQ7sls3K06XoXP7LGpJs8492Z1h_r8E_HhTda7GkoSGEZtYWhpXl0vDvXLqBJOEacCVoAI7pAiL79gq0jFCdbdBwL0nw0gNC82DrDQ5hnVG9Qo4Rx_ZaffPL39v5nn9jJvqtq-Vd5IJk7WZpCNVDeRdbldFnIv7YMshfDoHkn5HoLZxor15eg4ShIWgmxXQapwtCMAClVew1_MYQHwAYOa4Zk9NSeslotyy5GsA-MhTGstM2-vKB32LBTLL20T3G28EWs8X0zRk7aqUYKfNxxKSkT_5VPSHsq8paJta8SK2V4wfIFGnhvY09d9c176PMmcExAU_uBar-Kc8ndNmwNR_y0U0reDCgEcXEOTn3l7RiBqQJ-xH5vw7kXb_Ct1CxgtQHda9xHaZJyKDgqSnPvT4jpZ_W-cFkZgQum0C6TxcR8eFi_K98GvWQ_d_R0RRBJBc8G-915GCYcaNwABkxKvrg05AUB8VEU39P830Jjk8LPODwsta6FHPXOiCKmZPvc0HUtsJ0dhYPU2b2DKHKAYGJlfq77fQMjKQC0pLq7ftclg=w551-h979-no

luOg-dedM0EfviIq8giIBIGS_MtIizPNx5l_8j1SXxixIJX8qOiwVwMsDtLqeRHQGN6l0udrxs85-2rpVAuf5jr2KizWhlAoOoYGJJnK73Nogg0voJf-TzESaYxNb9qQqqWDutlLeGvHmBHGADKA5AJxhMMwHYS3vExucqCTeU6tnL32BUqcOqmAIR5bLY2NuAGUnego-jwSjnaAeQ2IUJ_8TVoh4uJ5FIb-TLgsmHwsgDAMmzKlL-Rf76VnF36OdMzBGotdLG7WLpQBaSU_w8nnEtO66jQTYqRmIychzEgoR4J4-Z6rg3Gy-5z-G6iM5KWOlAKaCzVcE8diawE4pyb3Xs5Kr6lhaCe1h2e4NexwnoEupNcy1COaCZbfOTwVdW1gkGdRch5-y_xirwPiIOJFXnP4nmZjzSiG2Ak7hFusHWOTLJIxgWiKnysPVJQ7Ac2ztwwlenFVyLQpl-wt4y-nfDxvymZsGYdl-G813qe6LQaeNd8EZ3Yn84xlH_vM_NIu-TmBLPYVwN2bI2IqGnOhsAyQK0QfW8SXcMXxl3VuevH9G2fwkpqxuKE-moZURO1dqAnE816C4nQn1Mx4DwAkL56hHi392MTCQRPRWZ2E6W-ARsZo86b4TZQfSRpys2PZb3uXP-aWX8kc9Ki80QGR3Zn-y3WLLda6BxigRX-mD3cYq-4ft-x8QaJtznn57ZjDMXUXLwachiivFM8=w551-h979-no
GEaiuAX-IUgYjoYeuNVVQNffvaMp6H7XHMdENljVANioBBkgJu5jyc6qM73RboF_sUlGW38h5OC7UD-uO5yJUoXdbvvc1LRF2pVqiLWdvWyk9zzMmE8f3aIuSixt4RAjKNJ46FoG2R7VsS4Oc6g5BgDc-aNq492g6rMjH49LbfKqXh5IJ00VCs-M3qTT1dDqHSZ3t9odjCYqpI9zrxXOo4JQMNy2tIM8xFC-sdFn_joqhhUtV8YzxR5fv5y-K_n8RCov41-MGFJ2SMYLj10aCQQDYyYv0S0C3ddrPZGomSAqUSnyW8ll3vO4eAviWV0lEbStdxUn1fugKDY-wavIf5ku6HhYr27Lz2W4hVh23gLAqd79PZhlQW8EOhh1tOH_y-pY8WJ78wq0-X09ABfArseJBj80CwlprM4JaC67p5hggkLELhGhH133eyZUME7ze3Cy4-OLU71LjWp46Ga3xQrTXSOSvkqAF7O84e8_JpDQxGDGXdZDziLqewWziw0gQXl12xg_UA36YWr2FBx6mEW7evJH3B5KXTJpXPZl7bOze_u2SfjjakhioXLXlVxsSUkN_bdmMrj10E1DGs7wHc9MQb1267d7mpHv6hs5bzC_834gr7wyXwMtN27Kyn38Xe7eXPU9H2sq0eTRmUxp_rJ7Hl7Vzs-Dy73vTGBo1lH4XaXWiAM2tdl5xMjtU0KX3rUXtBzHdenclaszVmc=w551-h979-no

This is Socks, our little boy. We adopted him almost 2 years ago (he is gonna be 3 years old in March 2019). He is the best decision me and wifey have ever made. We can't conceive so he has truly become our little son.

He is an indoor kitty, he is extremely playful, looooves his naps, and will nag you over and over until you feed him. He has a little bit of a chewing problem, he bites every cable in the house, we can't trust him yet to sleep in our bedroom or to have access to the living room when we aren't there.

He has in own mobile phone (Xperia Z1, one of our really old phones) which has Youtube and a selection of playlists with Cat Games as well as videos of Animals. He asks for the Phone by sitting in front of it or watching the TV (We also put Youtube on the TV for him). He watches it for hours, paws the screen.

He loves his treats, but he is also amazing at doing his tricks. He high-fives, let's you hold his paw, guess which hand has the treat and a few more.

Unfortunately for whatever reason (The Vets have no idea why) he refuses to drink anything, be it water, kitty milk, water with a tiny amount of concentrate to give flavour. So we had to switch him initially from dry food to wet food which he loves.

I am not sure if anyone would have any interest, but here are a few videos as well.

He is our best friend and our little world, we wouldn't know what to do without him.

Socks playing with the TV - https://photos.app.goo.gl/BFi4tDv1fNsvzkiFA
Socks moving his whiskers and opening his mouth when we talk to him - https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yrdc4hXdAwVxzbEL6

PS: I am soooooooooo sorry for the picture spam, but how can i not ?

Last edited:

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Vaskie , that's an awesome cat.

Quick question though: if he's an indoor cat, why make him wear a collar with a bell? The noise can be stressful to them and the collar itself can be a hazard. I can see the argument for a bell collar for outdoor cats (the noise impairs their hunting ability which reduces the carnage that they wreak on the local bird and small animal populations) but beyond that I don't really support putting collars on cats.

Not meaning to preach, just pointing it out.

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
Vaskie , that's an awesome cat.

Quick question though: if he's an indoor cat, why make him wear a collar with a bell? The noise can be stressful to them and the collar itself can be a hazard. I can see the argument for a bell collar for outdoor cats (the noise impairs their hunting ability which reduces the carnage that they wreak on the local bird and small animal populations) but beyond that I don't really support putting collars on cats.

Not meaning to preach, just pointing it out.

I fully understand where you are coming from, we did debate it in the beginning.

We did a bit of research into it when we initially got him but we decided against it for a couple of reasons. Our vet said that it barely mattered (not sure if he is right or wrong), but more importantly we had no idea where he was most of the time and he chews every cable around the house. If he ever was to go outside cause we left a door open or he sneaked past us, we would never see him again, so the bell for us works really well.

He is extremely peaceful except for two situations, he just woke up for a massive nap and wants to play, or he has a poop. He goes absolutely insane after pooping, apparently it's a thing called euphoria where he doesn't know how to deal with all the nerve endings around the anus being touched while the poop comes out. Something like that anyway according to some google searches and our Vet.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I fully understand where you are coming from, we did debate it in the beginning.

We did a bit of research into it when we initially got him but we decided against it for a couple of reasons. Our vet said that it barely mattered (not sure if he is right or wrong), but more importantly we had no idea where he was most of the time and he chews every cable around the house. If he ever was to go outside cause we left a door open or he sneaked past us, we would never see him again, so the bell for us works really well.

He is extremely peaceful except for two situations, he just woke up for a massive nap and wants to play, or he has a poop. He goes absolutely insane after pooping, apparently it's a thing called euphoria where he doesn't know how to deal with all the nerve endings around the anus being touched while the poop comes out. Something like that anyway according to some google searches and our Vet.
I agree with the person you replied to. There are only downsides to a bell. It's increased stress for the cat, even if you think it's not demonstrating obvious stress. In the unlikely event the indoor cat you are obviously very careful with gets outside, the cat will likely be very close and you'll see him or he'll hear you or smell you (and the wet food you might open to lure him back), plus you presumably have contact info on the collar and maybe a microchip. A bell isn't going to be the difference between you recovering him or not, and it will seriously screw him over if he's truly lost. It will make it harder for him to hide from predators, whether other animals or bad people, and harder for him to catch food to survive. As for cable chewing I assume there are means of replacement chew toys and positive/negative reinforcement that might help, or maybe not, since I've never had that problem with a cat.

Aside from that, great pics, and cool story (except for the conceiving part), and that's really strange about not drinking, I've never heard of that.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Era stopped notifying me about this thread (happens a lot in OT threads for me) and I was in an indie game convention showing off my game anyway, so I'm going to focus on answering people asking questions, but thanks a ton to everyone for their kitty pics!

The first cat we did did that when we left her alone; she stopped doing it once we got more cats. It's typically boredom or stress; being alone is really hard on cats, especially of intelligent / social breeds like siamese and abyssinian. If there's not at least one person in the house with him, I would dearly, dearly recommend you get at least a second cat. Cats are really good at hiding their pain and discomfort, of any kind (which is a problem when it's a life-threatening issue), so you have to be attentive to secondary signs like these. Think of it as smoking or chewing one's nails.

If getting another cat is absolutely and positively out of the question, you can try to protect your cables by sticking sellotape to them (sticky side out), or spraying them with lemon juice. It's kind of a chore and not foolproof but it may be better than nothing.

Exactly this.

The latter is a very strong sign that the problem with your cat is a deficit of social interaction and boredom.

Don't ever bathe indoor cats unless absolutely necessary (e.g. something nasty poured on them). Cats are exceedingly good at self-cleaning and bathing them not only stressed them but also removes natural oils from their fur.

He is an indoor kitty, he is extremely playful, looooves his naps, and will nag you over and over until you feed him. He has a little bit of a chewing problem, he bites every cable in the house, we can't trust him yet to sleep in our bedroom or to have access to the living room when we aren't there.

This can actually be a chicked / egg scenario: not sleeping with you means he's alone for longer, which exacerbates the issue as mentioned above.

He has in own mobile phone (Xperia Z1, one of our really old phones) which has Youtube and a selection of playlists with Cat Games as well as videos of Animals. He asks for the Phone by sitting in front of it or watching the TV (We also put Youtube on the TV for him). He watches it for hours, paws the screen.

He loves his treats, but he is also amazing at doing his tricks. He high-fives, let's you hold his paw, guess which hand has the treat and a few more.

Unfortunately for whatever reason (The Vets have no idea why) he refuses to drink anything, be it water, kitty milk, water with a tiny amount of concentrate to give flavour. So we had to switch him initially from dry food to wet food which he loves.

Try to have lots of water bowls, and make sure they're separate from both food and litter (see the OP). A cat fountain can also help with that. A diet of exclusively (canned) wet food can lead to obesity, especially after spaying, which obviously has its own issues and complications, so it's optimal to make sure he does drink.

PS: I am soooooooooo sorry for the picture spam, but how can i not ?

Hahah, never worry about posting too many cat pics in this thread.

We did a bit of research into it when we initially got him but we decided against it for a couple of reasons. Our vet said that it barely mattered (not sure if he is right or wrong),

He's utterly wrong; I would advice to change vets if you can. I'm not even kidding, a vet that tells you a cat bell "barely matters" doesn't know what the fuck he's doing.
Outside of that, of course, it's a decision you have to make for yourself, but personally I strongly recommend against it, especially on a cat that you already know has signs of stress problems like cable chewing.

but more importantly we had no idea where he was most of the time and he chews every cable around the house. If he ever was to go outside cause we left a door open or he sneaked past us, we would never see him again, so the bell for us works really well.

Could you define in more detail "goes absolutely insane"? A lot of cats have a tendency to run like crazy after pooping because it's when they're most vulnerable and the smell can attract predators. Is it something like that?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Era stopped notifying me about this thread (happens a lot in OT threads for me)

A lot of cats have a tendency to run like crazy after pooping because it's when they're most vulnerable and the smell can attract predators. Is it something like that?
Mine often seem a little hyper for a minute or so after litter, which I assumed was maybe something in the dust affecting them. That may well be entirely wrong.

Re notifications, I think Era has some sort of algorithm where if you don't check on a topic for a while it ceases giving you alerts. It generally works out well, as it means fewer posters will get alerts for older threads which may have largely run their course.