• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
Era stopped notifying me about this thread (happens a lot in OT threads for me) and I was in an indie game convention showing off my game anyway, so I'm going to focus on answering people asking questions, but thanks a ton to everyone for their kitty pics!

The first cat we did did that when we left her alone; she stopped doing it once we got more cats. It's typically boredom or stress; being alone is really hard on cats, especially of intelligent / social breeds like siamese and abyssinian. If there's not at least one person in the house with him, I would dearly, dearly recommend you get at least a second cat. Cats are really good at hiding their pain and discomfort, of any kind (which is a problem when it's a life-threatening issue), so you have to be attentive to secondary signs like these. Think of it as smoking or chewing one's nails.

If getting another cat is absolutely and positively out of the question, you can try to protect your cables by sticking sellotape to them (sticky side out), or spraying them with lemon juice. It's kind of a chore and not foolproof but it may be better than nothing.

Exactly this.

The latter is a very strong sign that the problem with your cat is a deficit of social interaction and boredom.

Don't ever bathe indoor cats unless absolutely necessary (e.g. something nasty poured on them). Cats are exceedingly good at self-cleaning and bathing them not only stressed them but also removes natural oils from their fur.

This can actually be a chicked / egg scenario: not sleeping with you means he's alone for longer, which exacerbates the issue as mentioned above.

Try to have lots of water bowls, and make sure they're separate from both food and litter (see the OP). A cat fountain can also help with that. A diet of exclusively (canned) wet food can lead to obesity, especially after spaying, which obviously has its own issues and complications, so it's optimal to make sure he does drink.

Hahah, never worry about posting too many cat pics in this thread.

He's utterly wrong; I would advice to change vets if you can. I'm not even kidding, a vet that tells you a cat bell "barely matters" doesn't know what the fuck he's doing.
Outside of that, of course, it's a decision you have to make for yourself, but personally I strongly recommend against it, especially on a cat that you already know has signs of stress problems like cable chewing.

Could you define in more detail "goes absolutely insane"? A lot of cats have a tendency to run like crazy after pooping because it's when they're most vulnerable and the smell can attract predators. Is it something like that?

Haha by absolute insane i meant compared to his normal behaviour. He just runs like he has a lot of energy back and forth, his eyes get massive and he likes jumping around playing with his toys or with us. He also loves playing chase with us during that period.

The Vet said it was euphoria and that it's common. Nothing crazy, it's just Socks being.. Socks

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Haha by absolute insane i meant compared to his normal behaviour. He just runs like he has a lot of energy back and forth, his eyes get massive and he likes jumping around playing with his toys or with us. He also loves playing chase with us during that period.

The Vet said it was euphoria and that it's common. Nothing crazy, it's just Socks being.. Socks

Interesting! Cats do have periods like that (it's pretty often parodied, e.g. at the end of Inside Out), and I guess the adrenaline jolt from pooping might trigger it. My SO always jokes that "they're lighter, so they move faster". :)

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting! Cats do have periods like that (it's pretty often parodied, e.g. at the end of Inside Out), and I guess the adrenaline jolt from pooping might trigger it. My SO always jokes that "they're lighter, so they move faster". :)

That's exactly it. He seems to just get a bunch of energy and is either trying to run away from the smell (don't think so, cause he then goes back into the same room and then out, and then in, and then out) or he gets a burst of energy. Within.. hum 10 minutes he is back to being relaxed, but in between he will often just run all over the house, grab his toys, play chase, etc

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
My wife refers to it as "poophoria". I think it's appropriate! Spooks will often go for a sprint around the house and look for the scratching post, and scratch like crazy. But despite being siblings, Chloe does not do this.

They could not be more opposite.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Love kitties so much. These are my three cats. Love them dearly.

45299603224_f2dec926b6_b.jpg
This pic is amazing. Because if I ever bought a bed for my cat she would just sleep everywhere but there, but all 3 of your cats sleep on their designated spot. :D

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
There are so many beautiful cats here! I've got my cat sprawled out on my lap so I hope she doesn't get jealous when I go "aww" at all these!

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This pic is amazing. Because if I ever bought a bed for my cat she would just sleep everywhere but there, but all 3 of your cats sleep on their designated spot. :D

Scratch trees like that are super popular with most cats, since they combine the two things the love most (soft bed + height). There's two cats in mine right now, and there's often four of them. :)

The only one that doesn't use them is Tigris, who seems to have a fear of high places.

I just got these two sibling kittens (brothers) a couple of months ago....

EDIT: Names!! Louie and Stuey

Here is them in young, medium, and now versions

KhI4GZl.png

inQkdni.jpg

2i0OmXG.png

These are absolutely, positively adorable! :O

aCid

Aug 18, 2018
Canada
The first cat we did did that when we left her alone; she stopped doing it once we got more cats. It's typically boredom or stress; being alone is really hard on cats, especially of intelligent / social breeds like siamese and abyssinian. If there's not at least one person in the house with him, I would dearly, dearly recommend you get at least a second cat. Cats are really good at hiding their pain and discomfort, of any kind (which is a problem when it's a life-threatening issue), so you have to be attentive to secondary signs like these. Think of it as smoking or chewing one's nails.

If getting another cat is absolutely and positively out of the question, you can try to protect your cables by sticking sellotape to them (sticky side out), or spraying them with lemon juice. It's kind of a chore and not foolproof but it may be better than nothing.

The latter is a very strong sign that the problem with your cat is a deficit of social interaction and boredom.

Thanks for your perspective on this! I could see getting another cat helping boredom and his social life for sure. In fact, we had to have him cat sat while we were away for a few weeks on vacation and so we brought him over to my gf's parents place. He thrived there, and that's in no small part due to that household having other cats he could interact with.

So getting another cat is sounding good, and definitely not impossible for us, but I have some questions.
- should we get a male or female?
- kitten or older cat (Earl is just under 2yrs I think)
- he's only half but, should we try to get another Siamese?
- anything else you could shed light on turning our household into a multi-cat (we'd probably keep it at 2 for a good while)
Thanks again for your help!

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks for your perspective on this! I could see getting another cat helping boredom and his social life for sure. In fact, we had to have him cat sat while we were away for a few weeks on vacation and so we brought him over to my gf's parents place. He thrived there, and that's in no small part due to that household having other cats he could interact with.

So getting another cat is sounding good, and definitely not impossible for us, but I have some questions.

That's up to you. I personally like males more, they tend to be slightly friendlier on average to humans and other cats, while females tend to be a bit more territorial.

I always recommend getting older cats so that you know what you're getting. A kitten is a lottery ticket: until they've grown up you have no clue how they're going to turn out, personality wise.

Nah, cats get along well independently of race (or even species!). Siamese are pretty similar to non-race cats in terms of personality. What's most important is getting one that's a good fit for him, i.e. that's as active as him, especially since one of the reasons is to provide him with a play mate. So probably not persians or angora cats. :)

- anything else you could shed light on turning our household into a multi-cat (we'd probably keep it at 2 for a good while)

Yes, it's quite important that you introduce them to each other gradually. There's been a few posts with advice on that a page or two back.
Edit: My mistake, I gave the advice over PMs with another user. Here it is:

If at all possible I'd keep them separate for the time being (different parts of the house with closed doors between them) and do both of the following:
- Make them accustomed to each other's scent, e.g. by giving clothes or cushions that one of them has slept on to the other, even exchange bed cushions.
- Allow them to see each other but not physically touch (e.g. through a mosquito net, or just a nearly closed door). This helps estabilish each other as a presence that is not immediately and physically threatening.

I just asked my SO and she reminded me of a few additional pointers:
- Do NOT scold your cat if he growls or hisses at the new one. This is his way of asserting dominance and scolding him will only make him resent the new cat more. It is perfectly normal for cats to hiss at each other for at least a couple of weeks.
- If you don't know about it, it may be hard to tell apart when cats are playing or actually fighting. The key is the vocalizations they make, which when actually fighting are much louder and stressed.
- If they actually fight, try to separate them as calmly as possible, e.g. by putting a cushion between them. In general, try to keep as calm as possible, as cats are very sensitive to our emotions. Again, do not scold them for this, either.
- You can spread a bit of valerian root to make them calmer, too (I didn't know this).

Let me know if this helped. Cats eventually get used to each other, even if it might take a long time and a ton of patience.

Anytime! Nothing better to help making cat (and owner) lifes better! :)

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

My cats are about 6 years apart, which to me is lucky coincidence because that's when I rescued the younger one as a 4-week old kitten from my car, and we kept him (and got his siblings to other homes, and we're sure the mom was the cat we had seen recently near our house which was later killed by a car). My older cat was getting very lazy which would be detrimental to her health, and the addition of the younger male one helped energize the older female one. I'm sure that has helped her be healthy for longer. For that reason I'd recommend if you have two cats for them to be several years apart. In your case that would mean getting a cat of say 5-8 years, which potentially means old age vet costs sooner than if you got a kitten, but otoh think of the good deed you'd be doing by saving a cat from a shelter which is facing life in a small cage or euthanasia.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017

Please inteoduce your cat to your veterinarian as well. Get the teeth checked if the gums are reddish. Get a dental cleaning job done.

Before you get a second cat.

Regarding the breed of the second cat, i'd just check out local shelters. If your cat is rather open minded toward other cats then it shouldnt matter much. Try to get one about his age (+/- a few month) who and if possible same gender (unless this doesnt fit his character).

If your cat rather likes to sit and watch then a calm, often female cat might be the better choice. If your cat is hyper, a rowdy male might be better option. Just tell the shelter staff about your cat and that you look for a partner for him.

Get 3 litter boxes for 2 cats and make sure there is enoughcat furniture for both of them so they dont have to fight over it.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
New furniture...

I had to sort our shelves again to let it look less messy.

We cleaned up a bit along the way.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, the cat locomotion mantra. "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in an unnecessarily overcomplicated way".
Its the only part of the shelf that interests him. 2 days ago he knocked over all books in it while playing. Now he cant climb in it anymore due to no place to sit being left.

Today we went to the vet with Shiro, because his eyes were so reddish, apparently nothing serious. We got a little present too!

However he shouldnt lose anymore weight, sadly Ryu tries to steal his food every time we give him a bit more, Ryu goes nuts about food lately.

He appears to be starving from his behaviour, but his 4,8 kg tell another story.

He tries to steal our food, today he stole the food out of the bowl before I could lift it off the counter, knocks over our massive feeding bowls, pushes shiro away from his plate and starts growling at him, he jumps up my legs and claws in walking on his back paws.

Im clueless. Feeding them seperately isnt something we want to do because they have a very precious connection and im afraid without shared feeding time they will move apart. Even automatic bowls... ryu knocked over that entire bowl and spilled the content on the mat, he will figure away to get his paw in auto feeders.

For our own eating times we lock him out. After 10 stolen slices of pizza we decided it was enough.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Its the only part of the shelf that interests him. 2 days ago he knocked over all books in it while playing. Now he cant climb in it anymore due to no place to sit being left.

Today we went to the vet with Shiro, because his eyes were so reddish, apparently nothing serious. We got a little present too!

However he shouldnt lose anymore weight, sadly Ryu tries to steal his food every time we give him a bit more, Ryu goes nuts about food lately.

He appears to be starving from his behaviour, but his 4,8 kg tell another story.

He tries to steal our food, today he stole the food out of the bowl before I could lift it off the counter, knocks over our massive feeding bowls, pushes shiro away from his plate and starts growling at him, he jumps up my legs and claws in walking on his back paws.

Im clueless. Feeding them seperately isnt something we want to do because they have a very precious connection and im afraid without shared feeding time they will move apart. Even automatic bowls... ryu knocked over that entire bowl and spilled the content on the mat, he will figure away to get his paw in auto feeders.

For our own eating times we lock him out. After 10 stolen slices of pizza we decided it was enough.

We have to feed wet food to our cats separately because the males won't ever be satisfied and this pressures the females into eating their share more quickly or have it swiped, plus Raton just straight out pukes 80% of all wet food so we can't give him any. I think at this point you might want to do that rather than deal with any of the other issues.

Another thing you could try is to put food in each hand and extend them to each cat. Cat seems less prone to try to swipe food from your hand as they know that might hurt you (they seem to like it more, perhaps due to the physical contact or smell of your hands), and you can control the distance between them, or close your hand if the wrong cat tries to approach. Of course, it can be quite time consuming to do this several times a day...

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
We have to feed wet food to our cats separately because the males won't ever be satisfied and this pressures the females into eating their share more quickly or have it swiped, plus Raton just straight out pukes 80% of all wet food so we can't give him any. I think at this point you might want to do that rather than deal with any of the other issues.

Another thing you could try is to put food in each hand and extend them to each cat. Cat seems less prone to try to swipe food from your hand as they know that might hurt you (they seem to like it more, perhaps due to the physical contact or smell of your hands), and you can control the distance between them, or close your hand if the wrong cat tries to approach. Of course, it can be quite time consuming to do this several times a day...
I think we will try feeding once a day seperately (maybe even extra meal) dry food. He really needs the calories, and should get them.

By the way I liked your name suggestion from the other thread for the Cat Era OP. :)

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I think we will try feeding once a day seperately (maybe even extra meal) dry food. He really needs the calories, and should get them.

By the way I liked your name suggestion from the other thread for the Cat Era OP. :)

Oh right! I should contact a mod about it. :D

Edit: By the way, I'm assuming it was a mod who made the banner for the thread? (it wasn't me). I love it, so beautiful!

Last edited:

Macheezmo

Oct 25, 2017
Here's our newest cat Pandora:
oXs4mIG.jpg

vu39URX.jpg

We got her from a foster family who found her out in a field covered in burrs. She was scared of everyone and everything there, and never played in the 6 weeks she was there. She's adjusted pretty well in our house and she plays a lot now. The cats we already had are still not thrilled about her presence. We kept them separate for about 10 days. They still hiss at each other when they see each other and generally avoid each other but they haven't had any real fights. Pandora has chased the other cats a couple times but never attacked them. Hoping things will settle down a bit between them in the coming months.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
oXs4mIG.jpg

vu39URX.jpg

We got her from a foster family who found her out in a field covered in burrs. She was scared of everyone and everything there, and never played in the 6 weeks she was there. She's adjusted pretty well in our house and she plays a lot now. The cats we already had are still not thrilled about her presence. We kept them separate for about 10 days. They still hiss at each other when they see each other and generally avoid each other but they haven't had any real fights. Pandora has chased the other cats a couple times but never attacked them. Hoping things will settle down a bit between them in the coming months.

Poor thing, she probably just wants to play. Happens a lot when a new cat comes into a home, the original resident cats are nonplussed about it but the new cat wants to play, which of course annoys the residents even more... It's one of these dumb-seeming cat problems that I haven't yet figured out a reliable solution to.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
oXs4mIG.jpg

vu39URX.jpg

Cute!

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
We have had a few threads the past year about Era members being picked as new owners by feral cats/community cats.

This video is very informative about what you should consider if you have community cats/cat colonies around your home.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
We have had a few threads the past year about Era members being picked as new owners by feral cats/community cats.

This video is very informative about what you should consider if you have community cats/cat colonies around your home.

Preach, bro. People who dedicate their time and energy to TNR are such angels. People just don't understand the mortality rate of street kittens and the explosive exponential growth an unchecked colony can have.

My SO has her hands full with the rescue and adoption service, but she knows a few people that do TNR, which is really useful when we get notified of a street cat that's in immediate danger to its life but can't be caught easily (a frequent combination as cats in pain tend to hide), since we don't have traps ourselves.

Also I think I'm going to pass on the video, or at least some of the tips, to the people who do TNR. That bit about putting a bit of food at the front is so smart.

Edit: Wow, the whole channel is a gold mine. So many useful tips in these videos (and so many precious kittens!). Watching the litter behaviour one reminded me of something, and I guess I might as well use my own thread to ask if anyone has helpful ideas.

There's a cat about 5 months old we're currently fostering; sometimes he uses the litter boxes, but sometimes he just pees on the floor. It's pretty odd because he's not marking; he actually tries to cover the pee (by scratching on the wooden floor as if it was ground), which as the plus side, allows us to locate it rather than step on it. He's been doing this before and after being spayed. He sometimes does this less than two meter from the nearest litter box without bothering to get inside, and he actually poops in the boxes, so it's not as if he can't find them (we have a lot of them around the house anyway). It's as if he genuinely can't tell the difference between litter and the floor when it comes to peeing.

We thought it might be related to either parasites he had (two different kinds), which also gave him long-lasting diarrhea, or a potential urine infection as a result of the latter. However, after treatment he seems to be at last recovering from all of that, but still doing the pee thing. Incidentally, we've also recently noticed he drinks a lot of water; like, a lot, and constantly, so we have to get him to the vet and have him tested for diabetes and kidney problems.

Last edited:

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to share a story...

June 2017, me and my brother bought a house and, about a week after moving in, this little kitten appears in our front yard. We tried approaching it but it ran off. The next day, I found it sleeping on our deck. Again, it ran off.

We already had a 16 year old tabby that hates all other cats so taking one in was out of the question. Because of this, we decided that we would not feed it because we didn't want it around to cause trouble with our other cat. It broke our hearts.

But the kitten never left. I don't know if the previous owner of the house ever gave it anything or if it was receptive to us approaching it but it never seemed to want to leave. There were times when it obviously left to get food but it pretty much made our deck it's home. This is where it slept and hung out when it wasn't hunting. We still couldn't get near it without being hissed or growled at so we gave it space and figured it would leave eventually once it found a place with a steady food supply.

Weeks went by. It didn't leave. We got more and more attached. Started feeding it. Then, we gave it a box to sleep in. Updated that to an old cat carrier with a heat reflecting thermal blanket. We thought it was a boy so we named it Oswald and later shortened that to Ozzy.

Ozzy became my little outdoor friend. I'd swim in the pool and Ozzy would sit and watch. I'd do yard work, Ozzy would follow me around. Every day, I came home from work and went right to the door to find Ozzy sitting there all proper waiting for it's meal. I loved Ozzy.

Through all of this, we still didn't want to take it in and we still couldn't get close enough to touch it.

Now, it's late October and getting cold. We are more worried so we decide that we will catch it and take it to a shelter.
It was easy. I set up a pulley system around the deck with the cat carrier and knew that Ozzy would sleep there overnight. Snuck outside early morning, pulled the rope, and held the door shut while my brother ran out and latched it.

At the vet, we find out that it's a girl. Ok. Ozzy is now Izzy. She has fleas, worms, missing patches of fur, and congestion in her sinuses. They take her in the back for the leukemia test and give her back to my brother. He pets her for the first time and she purrs the sweetest little purr. When he texted me this, we both pretty much decided that she was ours and we couldn't give her up.

The test comes back and she's positive for leukemia. What do we do? We have a cat already so The vet laid it out like this: absolutely do not put her back outside. She either stays with us but can't see any other uninfected cats or goes to a shelter where the adoption rate will be pretty low. Euthanasia was also on the table.

We decide to keep her. We have a half heated finished basement and could just close the door to that and keep them separate.
She gets spayed and treated and, that night, she's ours.

Izzy ends up being the sweetest little girl you can imagine. Very caring and affectionate, loves to cuddle. She trained nicely and wouldn't use her claws when she wasn't supposed to. She went from running away from me outside to running towards me inside. Going downstairs to see her was one of the brightest parts of my day. I was amazed at how this scrappy, dirty kitten would turn into my beautiful little sweetheart.

The past year with her was great. Some basement flooding a few months back lead to her being relocated to my bedroom where she would finally have windows to look out and see birds. She'd sleep with me every night right under my arm. I'd lay on her and she'd just purr and purr.

Every morning before work, she'd headbutt me while I brushed my teeth and I would pick her up, flip her upside down, and bat her nose while she pawed at me. I'd kiss her on the forehead and go to work.
This past Wednesday, I did this same routine only, this time, I felt a lump in her shoulder. It ran down into her chest. It was pretty big.

We made an appointment with the vet where they examined and did X-rays. Turns out that what I felt was a part of a massive tumor growing inside her chest and out of her shoulder. It was large enough that it was pressing on and affecting her lungs. Explains why I saw her cough on Sunday but I mistakenly assumed it was a furball. They said it was very tough to operate on and most likely the result of her getting leukemia at such a young age. This was likely the beginning of the end.

Wednesday night, we decided to put her down. It really sucks and we are heart broken but she went when she was still happy and wasnt suffering. She got to spend over a year knowing what it was like having two dumb humans treat her like gold.

KjWGxeL_d.jpg

RIP, Izzy

Hug your kitties and try your best to be good to your local strays and ferals.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

June 2017, me and my brother bought a house and, about a week after moving in, this little kitten appears in our front yard. We tried approaching it but it ran off. The next day, I found it sleeping on our deck. Again, it ran off.

We already had a 16 year old tabby that hates all other cats so taking one in was out of the question. Because of this, we decided that we would not feed it because we didn't want it around to cause trouble with our other cat. It broke our hearts.

But the kitten never left. I don't know if the previous owner of the house ever gave it anything or if it was receptive to us approaching it but it never seemed to want to leave. There were times when it obviously left to get food but it pretty much made our deck it's home. This is where it slept and hung out when it wasn't hunting. We still couldn't get near it without being hissed or growled at so we gave it space and figured it would leave eventually once it found a place with a steady food supply.

Weeks went by. It didn't leave. We got more and more attached. Started feeding it. Then, we gave it a box to sleep in. Updated that to an old cat carrier with a heat reflecting thermal blanket. We thought it was a boy so we named it Oswald and later shortened that to Ozzy.

Ozzy became my little outdoor friend. I'd swim in the pool and Ozzy would sit and watch. I'd do yard work, Ozzy would follow me around. Every day, I came home from work and went right to the door to find Ozzy sitting there all proper waiting for it's meal. I loved Ozzy.

Through all of this, we still didn't want to take it in and we still couldn't get close enough to touch it.

Now, it's late October and getting cold. We are more worried so we decide that we will catch it and take it to a shelter.
It was easy. I set up a pulley system around the deck with the cat carrier and knew that Ozzy would sleep there overnight. Snuck outside early morning, pulled the rope, and held the door shut while my brother ran out and latched it.

At the vet, we find out that it's a girl. Ok. Ozzy is now Izzy. She has fleas, worms, missing patches of fur, and congestion in her sinuses. They take her in the back for the leukemia test and give her back to my brother. He pets her for the first time and she purrs the sweetest little purr. When he texted me this, we both pretty much decided that she was ours and we couldn't give her up.

The test comes back and she's positive for leukemia. What do we do? We have a cat already so The vet laid it out like this: absolutely do not put her back outside. She either stays with us but can't see any other uninfected cats or goes to a shelter where the adoption rate will be pretty low. Euthanasia was also on the table.

We decide to keep her. We have a half heated finished basement and could just close the door to that and keep them separate.

Izzy ends up being the sweetest little girl you can imagine. Very caring and affectionate, loves to cuddle. She trained nicely and wouldn't use her claws when she wasn't supposed to. She went from running away from me outside to running towards me inside. Going downstairs to see her was one of the brightest parts of my day. I was amazed at how this scrappy, dirty kitten would turn into my beautiful little sweetheart.

The past year with her was great. Some basement flooding a few months back lead to her being relocated to my bedroom where she would finally have windows to look out and see birds. She'd sleep with me every night right under my arm. I'd lay on her and she'd just purr and purr.

Every morning before work, she'd headbutt me while I brushed my teeth and I would pick her up, flip her upside down, and bat her nose while she pawed at me. I'd kiss her on the forehead and go to work.
This past Wednesday, I did this same routine only, this time, I felt a lump in her shoulder. It ran down into her chest. It was pretty big.

We made an appointment with the vet where they examined and did X-rays. Turns out that what I felt was a part of a massive tumor growing inside her chest and out of her shoulder. It was large enough that it was pressing on and affecting her lungs. Explains why I saw her cough on Sunday but I mistakenly assumed it was a furball. They said it was very tough to operate on and most likely the result of her getting leukemia at such a young age. This was likely the beginning of the end.

Wednesday night, we decided to put her down. It really sucks and we are heart broken but she went when she was still happy and wasnt suffering. She got to spend over a year knowing what it was like having two dumb humans treat her like gold.

KjWGxeL_d.jpg

RIP, Izzy

Great story. You did good.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

KjWGxeL_d.jpg

RIP, Izzy

That's at the same time heartwarming and heartbreaking. I'm really sorry for your loss, but you made her very happy and loved in the time that she had, so cherish that. Sometimes the little angels go back to heaven so soon. :(

nny

Oct 25, 2017
All our kitties loved the toys they got for Christmas, catnip does it again! ;P

Knight77

Oct 25, 2017
One of my two cats.

Greg looking at a slice of Pandoro. To every girl here: find a man that desires you as much as Gregory desire the Pandoro

bkYl9G4.jpg

Another photo of him

MnmJKJ6.jpg

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My gf and me are getting a kitty from the local shelter next week. We wen't to see her 3 weeks ago and fell in love, she started to meow and immediately came to see us thru the cage. We were supposed to get her on the 27th but they weren't able to book a vet appointment before that so we'll have to wait until the 3rd to get her, hopefully she doesn't have FIV :( We've already gone out and bought her all sorts of kitty stuff, hopefully the toys are to her liking. This will be my first pet of any kind ever, but my gf has had cat's practically all her life (when she lived with her parents), so she's way more well versed in taking care of one. Will post more as soon as we get her, but here's a picture from our first meeting. It's clear she's been someone's cat since she wasn't afraid at all and she loved to be petted, aww. Can't wait to get her.
kittycat.jpg

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
My gf and me are getting a kitty from the local shelter next week. We wen't to see her 3 weeks ago and fell in love, she started to meow and immediately came to see us thru the cage. We were supposed to get her on the 27th but they weren't able to book a vet appointment before that so we'll have to wait until the 3rd to get her, hopefully she doesn't have FIV :( We've already gone out and bought her all sorts of kitty stuff, hopefully the toys are to her liking. This will be my first pet of any kind ever, but my gf has had cat's practically all her life (when she lived with her parents), so she's way more well versed in taking care of one. Will post more as soon as we get her, but here's a picture from our first meeting. It's clear she's been someone's cat since she wasn't afraid at all and she loved to be petted, aww. Can't wait to get her.
kittycat.jpg

This is really cool. I read this to my SO and she was delighted. :) Be prepared for her to completely conquer your heart in days. :D

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is really cool. I read this to my SO and she was delighted. :) Be prepared for her to completely conquer your heart in days. :D
She already did that the day we met :D We've been wanting to get a cat for about 10 years now and finally got the chance when we moved and the landlord said it's okay. The waiting is killing me!

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
She already did that the day we met :D We've been wanting to get a cat for about 10 years now and finally got the chance when we moved and the landlord said it's okay. The waiting is killing me!

Hahah, we get that "wait is killing us" comment for like half of our adopters. Then they go on to fall in love with their cats even more than they thought possible once they have them. Being purred to sleep is the best thing in the world. :)

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
So had a question to fellow cat owners who maybe solved this problem. Wife and I will be getting a new couch soon and we want to get a nicer couch than normal. But the problem is that our cats currently scratch at the corners of our couch now. Yes they have scratching posts 1 in the same room and 2 more spread around the house) yet they still scratch at it. We've tried water bottles and even shaking coins but they still do it.

Just seems a waste to buy a nice couch for them to do the same to it. Anyone have any good tips on this? I've seen a clear plastic cover thing on Amazon but mainly the reviews are bad. I've seen a spray you can do but it has to be done like weekly/monthly or something?

Any suggestions would be welcomed!

EDIT: A picture of our cat when he was little. = )

APycX7A.jpg

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So had a question to fellow cat owners who maybe solved this problem. Wife and I will be getting a new couch soon and we want to get a nicer couch than normal. But the problem is that our cats currently scratch at the corners of our couch now. Yes they have scratching posts 1 in the same room and 2 more spread around the house) yet they still scratch at it. We've tried water bottles and even shaking coins but they still do it.

Just seems a waste to buy a nice couch for them to do the same to it. Anyone have any good tips on this? I've seen a clear plastic cover thing on Amazon but mainly the reviews are bad. I've seen a spray you can do but it has to be done like weekly/monthly or something?

APycX7A.jpg

Awwwww, man! So cute. :)

As for couches... we just gave up on it, and indeed the reason we still have an old, battered couch is because it seems like a waste to upgrade. *shrug*

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

APycX7A.jpg
Cute cat! The consensus here is bells are very bad btw...

As for sofas, I don't know if we got lucky but ours are some sort of microfiber and the cats have never shown any interest in scratching. One loves to tear up carpet, another loves sisal rope and some scratchers.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
God I hate letting cats out for the first time. I never trust they'll come back!

One of my new ones is being cautious but exploring the area and has just gone into my neighbours garden. The other is just sitting at the door watching her, meowing when she doesn't know where the other one is.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017

Cute kitty,

As said above about the bell. I asked my Vet about the bell and he and all other vets in the building said it was nonsense. My cat loves her bell. She refuses to wear a collar without one.

As for the sofa. Keep up with the water bottle but include a verbal warning as well. If they scratch at the sofa, stand up, spray the water at them, give a verbal warning. It is what I did and we now have leather sofa which she doesn't scratch and walks across with no claws out.

I did get a new mat she scratches but I just give the verbal warning and she just rolls over.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
One of our girls just vomited up a whole dried leaf and some grass. There was some blood on the spit. I was worried when I found it but she seems fine, running around and wanting belly rubs. Maybe she just scratched her throat?

gsJugHv.jpg

Mocha, the little girl in question.

Last edited:

Rory

Oct 25, 2017

APycX7A.jpg
Why'd they bother coins if they are used to constant bell noise?

I'd suggest placing the scraching post next to the sofa corner, making sure its same material as current sofa (or future sofa if they scratch on that too) and on the same level. Putting a blanket over the sofa can help too. This way they dont "see" the sofa right away. Etablish a "yes".

Dont expect them to stop on the old sofa. Its marked territory, they will try to mark again and again. Rearrange the sofa and place the new sofa somewhere else in the room. This way habbit wont win.

Now about the "no". There are sprays that you can use on the spot where the cat should not scratch, you could add air blowers (dunno the name of that) that activate when the cat comes near it. (Sensor activated, not by you)

Whatever you do, burn that squirt bottle and make sure you are not punishing him but the environment.

About the cat grass, it could have been just one piece, he could have been cut, or even worse some grass is stuck in throat/nose area. Blood would make me worried enough to actually see a vet. Especially if he keeps vomiting.

Last edited:

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Cute kitty,

As said above about the bell. I asked my Vet about the bell and he and all other vets in the building said it was nonsense. My cat loves her bell. She refuses to wear a collar without one.

As for the sofa. Keep up with the water bottle but include a verbal warning as well. If they scratch at the sofa, stand up, spray the water at them, give a verbal warning. It is what I did and we now have leather sofa which she doesn't scratch and walks across with no claws out.

I did get a new mat she scratches but I just give the verbal warning and she just rolls over.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Cute cat! The consensus here is bells are very bad btw...

I was mesmerized by the cat and didn't see the bell. Yes, please Cap10Deku, get rid of it.

God I hate letting cats out for the first time. I never trust they'll come back!

Then don't? Cat's don't really need to get out to be happy, and frankly the risk of them being run over doesn't make it worth it most of the time.

One of our girls just vomited up a whole dried leaf and some grass. There was some blood on the spit. I was worried when I found it but she seems fine, running around and wanting belly rubs. Maybe she just scratched her throat?

gsJugHv.jpg

Mocha, the little girl in question.

I would take her to the vet just to make sure. Cats are excellent at hiding their pain, you just can't tell from their behaviour most of the time.

Excellent video. Indeed, spraying your cat when they scratch your sofa only ensures they won't scratch your sofa while you're present.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Then don't? Cat's don't really need to get out to be happy, and frankly the risk of them being run over doesn't make it worth it most of the time.

I live in a pretty quiet village and I would rather they could go out and enjoy themselves during the day while I'm at work (and not stink up the house with poops!). It's more my issue than theirs lol.