• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Actually I have a question for you lot.

One of our cats who is very affectionate with us and is very much a lap cat is really scared of anyone else who comes to the house and will hide under the sofa until they leave. Any ideas on what to do? This Christmas I got my niece and nephew to stop checking under the sofa all the time and just let her come out at her own time but we only got a few head peeks.

Interestingly though she made it up to my room one of the days (which she absolutely loves) and immediately went back to being her affectionate self with anyone she could get near, stranger or not so we tried to introduce her to everyone but as soon as she went downstairs she went back to hiding.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017

One of our cats who is very affectionate with us and is very much a lap cat is really scared of anyone else who comes to the house and will hide under the sofa until they leave. Any ideas on what to do? This Christmas I got my niece and nephew to stop checking under the sofa all the time and just let her come out at her own time but we only got a few head peeks.

Interestingly though she made it up to my room one of the days (which she absolutely loves) and immediately went back to being her affectionate self with anyone she could get near, stranger or not so we tried to introduce her to everyone but as soon as she went downstairs she went back to hiding.
Its absolutely okay if your cat doesnt want to be part of that. Some cats can't bear stress as well as others.

Cats stress level is at 5:31.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

That sounds like she feels your room is a "safe space", meaning anyone who can make it there has to be friendly by definition. It's perfectly normal for some cats to be very shy, we have some that will hide immediately when there's any visits. This typically gets better with time as they grow more confident with you and with other people, especially if they visit often, but I don't think there's anything you should do, per se.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

I doubt there's anything you can do. One of ours has always run immediately when someone is at the door, and his safe space isn't just under the bed, it's inside the mattress via a hole he ripped. I let him have access. If he feels he needs it, that's going to avoid him unnecessary stress. Over the years he has gotten used to some family and guests and quickly returns to be near us and them. Other less frequent guests he still hides from. That includes the person who visits daily when we are away on vacation, perhaps for two weeks, and that person actually has this cats brother, but our cat still hides every time.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's both of mine and my wife

839981-D3-39-AF-4-EF2-B90-B-121811-CDD65-A.jpg

7-C659-DCB-945-A-465-A-A968-12-AF014-E50-CA.jpg

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
Thanks for the recommendations everyone! We bought a couch and found out they have a protection plan that actually covers pet damage. Up to 3 replacements in 5 years. So seemed pretty good.

About the bell our cat (Thor), we no longer have him wear his collar anymore. He doesn't mind collars at all but since he's 98% an indoor cat we decided to just remove it altogether.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Man. Not sure if this is the right place for this but I'm in a bad place right now.

Two years ago, my cat tore both ACLs in her legs. It was a freak, random accident. We just came home one day and she was dragged her legs on the floor. We were told it was going to be $3,000 per leg for the surgery so we decided to just roll the dice and see if they could get better in time. She had some meds and made a semi full recovery. She was confined to a room and gradually started exploring the house again, running, jumping, etc.

On Dec 26, she was startled by a person entering a room and she jumped off a desk. Immediately something was very wrong. She growled and painfully cried loudly. She hide behind the couch. I managed to get a vet appointment that day and we took her to the same one we took her to before with the ACLs. They didn't really tell me much (something about an ankle) and didn't do an x-ray (which I thought was weird). They gave me pretty much the same medicine from before with the ACL and we took her home (no cast, splint, nothing). I've been regretting this interaction since the vet. I should have been a lot more proactive in talking treatment.
It's her left leg or ankle. She can't put any pressure on it without intense pain and crying/hissing. I've been giving her pain pills and the joint supplements all week. She seemed to be getting a little better. She could stand up (sometimes) and not hiss in pain.

I finally decided to sleep in the same room with her tonight and it brought me crashing back down to earth. She would yelp/hiss out in pain every 5-30 minutes when she tried to move (cleaning herself or moving up and down the bed). I ended up moving back downstairs now since the painful cries are too much for me (and feel really bad about it since she's been up there alone for like 20+ hours a day for 6 days so far). She's mostly been sleeping on my bed for the past three days in the same spot. I'm glad since she hasn't been moving a lot.

I'm probably going to begrudgingly take her back to the vet on Wednesday if I can. It's very traumatic taking her to the vet since she's so distressed and it takes a toll on me mentally but I'm not sure what else to do. She seems to be in a lot of pain still. Even more so (that I remember) than when she tore the ACLs.

Do any of you guys have any advice with broken/sprained limbs with cats (at least this is what I'm guessing it is since the vet didn't say shit)? Does the pain go away relatively quickly? Or am I just being paranoid and it'll go away in another week or so?

If I have to put her down due to some freak accident, I'll probably break. Lol. I love this cat so much and it's absolutely destroying me that she's in so much pain. When I walk into the room to greet her, she replies with one of the most defeated, pitiful meows I've heard from her. It's like a dagger to the heart. I was hoping it would heal itself but an entire week (almost) in constant pain just seems wrong to me. She can get up and move but is in a ridiculous amount of pain when she does. She goes to the litter box overnight when I check on her in the morning so she can still move around. She just stumbles when she does.

It's honestly killing me. I've barely slept I've been so worried since last Wednesday. I'm just imagining her being upstairs in pain and I'm too much of a coward to stay up there with her since her cries are like knifes running through my chest.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Man. Not sure if this is the right place for this but I'm in a bad place right now.

Two years ago, my cat tore both ACLs in her legs. It was a freak, random accident. We just came home one day and she was dragged her legs on the floor. We were told it was going to be $3,000 per leg for the surgery so we decided to just roll the dice and see if they could get better in time. She had some meds and made a semi full recovery. She was confined to a room and gradually started exploring the house again, running, jumping, etc.

On Dec 26, she was startled by a person entering a room and she jumped off a desk. Immediately something was very wrong. She growled and painfully cried loudly. She hide behind the couch. I managed to get a vet appointment that day and we took her to the same one we took her to before with the ACLs. They didn't really tell me much (something about an ankle) and didn't do an x-ray (which I thought was weird). They gave me pretty much the same medicine from before with the ACL and we took her home (no cast, splint, nothing). I've been regretting this interaction since the vet. I should have been a lot more proactive in talking treatment.
It's her left leg or ankle. She can't put any pressure on it without intense pain and crying/hissing. I've been giving her pain pills and the joint supplements all week. She seemed to be getting a little better. She could stand up (sometimes) and not hiss in pain.

I finally decided to sleep in the same room with her tonight and it brought me crashing back down to earth. She would yelp/hiss out in pain every 5-30 minutes when she tried to move (cleaning herself or moving up and down the bed). I ended up moving back downstairs now since the painful cries are too much for me (and feel really bad about it since she's been up there alone for like 20+ hours a day for 6 days so far). She's mostly been sleeping on my bed for the past three days in the same spot. I'm glad since she hasn't been moving a lot.

I'm probably going to begrudgingly take her back to the vet on Wednesday if I can. It's very traumatic taking her to the vet since she's so distressed and it takes a toll on me mentally but I'm not sure what else to do. She seems to be in a lot of pain still. Even more so (that I remember) than when she tore the ACLs.

Do any of you guys have any advice with broken/sprained limbs with cats (at least this is what I'm guessing it is since the vet didn't say shit)? Does the pain go away relatively quickly? Or am I just being paranoid and it'll go away in another week or so?

If I have to put her down due to some freak accident, I'll probably break. Lol. I love this cat so much and it's absolutely destroying me that she's in so much pain. When I walk into the room to greet her, she replies with one of the most defeated, pitiful meows I've heard from her. It's like a dagger to the heart. I was hoping it would heal itself but an entire week (almost) in constant pain just seems wrong to me. She can get up and move but is in a ridiculous amount of pain when she does. She goes to the litter box overnight when I check on her in the morning so she can still move around. She just stumbles when she does.

It's honestly killing me. I've barely slept I've been so worried since last Wednesday. I'm just imagining her being upstairs in pain and I'm too much of a coward to stay up there with her since her cries are like knifes running through my chest.

First of all, take it to a different vet. A vet that doesn't explain you exactly what's going on with your cat is an immediate blacklist. This vet obviously didn't put your mind at rest in any way, and your cat is still suffering, why would you go back? There's amazing vets, there's downright butchers, and everything in between. Don't settle.

Second of all... having a cat locked out in a room with nobody else for 20 hours a day is borderline animal cruelty, independently of any pain or injuries. Doing so because her cries of pain disconfort you, and not going to the vet when your cat is crying in pain for a freaking week because it's "traumatic" to you... look, half of your post is about how this makes you feel, and you come across as exceedingly selfish.

Sorry to be harsh but I'm not seeing a lot to love in how you've tackled this situation, even ignoring your original choice not to operate her or get a second opinion. Get your shit together and take her to a competent vet instead of looking for advice in a videogame board.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry to be harsh but I'm not seeing a lot to love in how you've tackled this situation, even ignoring your original choice not to operate her or get a second opinion. Get your shit together and take her to a competent vet instead of looking for advice in a videogame board.
I at least understand your words regarding the vet and such, but "Get your shit together instead of looking for advice on a video game board" is a shameful way to talk to a distressed member of the community, especially considering you're the OP. Xyer is doing precisely that, reaching out here for help because of a lack of expertise in this area. In many cases, outlets like these may very well be the only ones someone has to turn to. Don't deride others just because it's a "video game board", that part is irrelevant.

Also, the comment "even ignoring your original choice not to operate"... he said 3k per leg, so a $6000 procedure. That's not chump change to a lot of people. Not fair to attribute that decision to a moral shortcoming.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
First of all, take it to a different vet. A vet that doesn't explain you exactly what's going on with your cat is an immediate blacklist. This vet obviously didn't put your mind at rest in any way, and your cat is still suffering, why would you go back? There's amazing vets, there's downright butchers, and everything in between. Don't settle.

I went back because I trusted them after the ACL tear. She healed up relatively nicely from that.

I'm going to call up this other local vet tomorrow. It's tough because this happened on the 26th. Right smack dab between Christmas and New Years. Not a lot of options right now. I'm not sure I'll even be able to get her into the new one this week. I'm not sure how crowded vet appointments are.

Second of all... having a cat locked out in a room with nobody else for 20 hours a day is borderline animal cruelty, independently of any pain or injuries. Doing so because her cries of pain disconfort you, and not going to the vet when your cat is crying in pain for a freaking week because it's "traumatic" to you... look, half of your post is about how this makes you feel, and you come across as exceedingly selfish.

Indeed. I'm going to try to spend more time up here. I just feel so helpless there's nothing I can do to help her right now hour to hour. It's all up to the healing process. I know she's also hurting. That's what kills me. She's not supposed to move and when I'm in the room with her, she wants to move around and see what I'm doing. If I'm not in there, she usually sits in one place.

I went to the vet on the 26th. They gave me pain pills and medicine. I was under the assumption that the pain would go away after a few days with the medicine and the ankle would start to heal after 3-6 weeks. The pain hasn't gone away. I also come from a family with farmers and they've been telling me the cat should adjust to it. The ACL stuff kinda confirmed that for me so I just went with the waiting game. Now, I want to seek help after a prolonged window of pain.

I didn't operate on her originally because it was $6,000 dollars. I don't have that kind of money for a cat even if I love her to death. She's also 7 years old. The ACL isn't the problem here. It appears she did something to the ankle. This is a new problem.

I understand the harshness but damn. I apologize I was trying to look for some advice but I guess I'm just a piece of shit cat owner. Sorry. :(

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I at least understand your words regarding the vet and such, but "Get your shit together instead of looking for advice on a video game board" is a shameful way to talk to a distressed member of the community, especially considering you're the OP. Xyer is doing precisely that, reaching out here for help because of a lack of expertise in this area. In many cases, outlets like these may very well be the only ones someone has to turn to. Don't deride others just because it's a "video game board", that part is irrelevant.

I'm not deriding them in any way, and I'm not criticising them for asking in a message board. I'm criticising them for the parts you're conveniently leaving out, like locking away an animal to suffer for a whole week. That is simply not responsible pet owner behaviour and I can't smile and nod when I hear stuff like this.

Also, the comment "even ignoring your original choice not to operate"... he said 3k per leg, so a $6000 procedure. That's not chump change to a lot of people. Not fair to attribute that decision to a moral shortcoming.

Nobody said it's chump change, and I don't see how that enters the conversation unless your argument is that people should only spend "chump change" on their pets. But even when you can't afford a medical procedure, the logical behaviour is to get a second opinion, or check for other vets that might perform the procedure for less, or make a gofundme (a ton of people are willing to donate for these kinds of procedures). There's always more options beyond throwing your hands in the air and hoping it solves itself. And yes, note I said "even ignoring".

My priority is always going to be the cat's well being; hurt feelings of their owners come second. I have a very low tolerance for animal abuse, witting or otherwise.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not deriding them in any way, and I'm not criticising them for asking in a message board. I'm criticising them for the parts you're conveniently leaving out, like locking away an animal to suffer for a whole week. That is simply not responsible pet owner behaviour and I can't smile and nod when I hear stuff like this.
That's exactly what you did, though. You precisely said "video game board", as if he was wrong for asking for advice in Era's cat thread, of all places. It was a weird thing to just tack-on at the end there, and it hurts your earlier, more valid points. I agree that your criticism regarding the vet + leaving the cat in solitude is warranted, and that's why I didn't touch on that part beyond the opening sentence.
Nobody said it's chump change, and I don't see how that enters the conversation unless your argument is that people should only spend "chump change" on their pets. But even when you can't afford a medical procedure, the logical behaviour is to get a second opinion, or check for other vets that might perform the procedure for less, or make a gofundme (a ton of people are willing to donate for these kinds of procedures). There's always more options beyond throwing your hands in the air and hoping it solves itself. And yes, note I said "even ignoring".

My priority is always going to be the cat's well being; hurt feelings of their owners come second. I have a very low tolerance for animal abuse, witting or otherwise.
That's fair.

And it enters into the conversation because, again, $6k is a lot of money that would seriously harm a lot of people's finances. I don't have that kind of money myself. That's the angle I'm observing it from, not "$6k is better spent elsewhere than a cat".

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I went back because I trusted them after the ACL tear. She healed up relatively nicely from that.

I'm going to call up this other local vet tomorrow. It's tough because this happened on the 26th. Right smack dab between Christmas and New Years. Not a lot of options right now. I'm not sure I'll even be able to get her into the new one this week. I'm not sure how crowded vet appointments are.

OK, fair enough. I would still go to a different vet if you feel they didn't explain things to you properly. That's typically a sign that they frankly don't care that much.

Indeed. I'm going to try to spend more time up here. I just feel so helpless there's nothing I can do to help her right now hour to hour.

Of course you can: stay with her. Cats need company when they're feeling vulnerable, same as us. Some cats even fight harder against sickness if they feel loved. Don't lock her away and make her feel like you don't care.

It's all up to the healing process. I know she's also hurting. That's what kills me. She's not supposed to move and when I'm in the room with her, she wants to move around and see what I'm doing. If I'm not in there, she usually sits in one place.

If she moves to see what you're doing, then she obviously thinks the pain is worth being with you. Try to just hold her cradle-style so that she doesn't have to move.

I went to the vet on the 26th. They gave me pain pills and medicine. I was under the assumption that the pain would go away after a few days with the medicine and the ankle would start to heal after 3-6 weeks. The pain hasn't gone away.

I also come from a family with farmers and they've been telling me the cat should adjust to it.

... yikes.

The ACL stuff kinda confirmed that for me so I just went with the waiting game. Now, I want to seek help after a prolonged window of pain.

I didn't operate on her originally because it was $6,000 dollars. I don't have that kind of money for a cat even if I love her to death. She's also 7 years old. The ACL isn't the problem here. It appears she did something to the ankle. This is a new problem.

I understand that, but there's always options. Next time please consult with other vets, or ask associations who might be able to set up donation events for you (we often do).

I understand the harshness but damn. I apologize I was trying to look for some advice but I guess I'm just a piece of shit cat owner. Sorry. :(

You're making this about you again. That's not what your cat needs right now.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That's exactly what you did, though. You precisely said "video game board", as if he was wrong for asking for advice in Era's cat thread, of all places. It was a weird thing to just tack-on at the end there, and it hurts your earlier, more valid points. I agree that your criticism regarding the vet + leaving the cat in solitude is warranted, and that's why I didn't touch on that part beyond the opening sentence.

I would have said the exact same fucking thing if this was a cat board. An internet board, or any kind of consultation that doesn't involve an actual vet in the same physical space as the cat, is not a substitute for a visit to the vet when your cat is crying in pain for a whole freaking week.

I'm shaking my head in disbelief that I had to write this. Is this not common sense? Should I put it in the OP?

Edit: I'm pretty pissed off right now about the whole situation (I do apologize about harshness thereof), and I think we can all agree that the important thing here is Xyer's cat. Could you please not add fuel to the fire just to score internet argument points?

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I would have said the exact same fucking thing if this was a cat board. An internet board, or any kind of consultation that doesn't involve an actual vet in the same physical space as the cat, is not a substitute for a visit to the vet when your cat is crying in pain for a whole freaking week.

I'm shaking my head in disbelief that I had to write this. Is this not common sense? Should I put it in the OP?
People skills as well as cat skills are an important thing to foster. When an individual enters into this type of thread, clearly distressed about their course of action, and seeking where to go next, you perhaps should recognize that the way you help the owner is tantamount to helping the cat.

I understand you're emotional about the well-being of the animal, but your rudeness will not help to alleviate the situation. Xyer is clearly very seriously torn up about this whole thing already:
I'm in a bad place right now. [...] I finally decided to sleep in the same room with her tonight and it brought me crashing back down to earth. [...] If I have to put her down due to some freak accident, I'll probably break. Lol. I love this cat so much and it's absolutely destroying me that she's in so much pain. When I walk into the room to greet her, she replies with one of the most defeated, pitiful meows I've heard from her. It's like a dagger to the heart. [...] It's honestly killing me. I've barely slept I've been so worried since last Wednesday. I'm just imagining her being upstairs in pain and I'm too much of a coward to stay up there with her since her cries are like knifes running through my chest.
Did you miss these parts? What about the fact that this all occurred between Christmas and New Year's, the most unfortunate time for something like it to occur, as far as veterinarian availability and such goes? What about the part where he already did take her to a vet, and they gave him medicine to give her, which he's been administering? Comments like this are odd:
My priority is always going to be the cat's well being; hurt feelings of their owners come second. I have a very low tolerance for animal abuse, witting or otherwise. [...] You're making this about you again. That's not what your cat needs right now.
Or you can just focus on both, dude. It's not an either / or type of thing. As much as you may not want to, some courtesy in the way you come across is vital in ensuring that other members of the community with pet problems can feel welcome about coming forth and getting the help they need now, and in the future.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt there's anything you can do. One of ours has always run immediately when someone is at the door, and his safe space isn't just under the bed, it's inside the mattress via a hole he ripped. I let him have access. If he feels he needs it, that's going to avoid him unnecessary stress. Over the years he has gotten used to some family and guests and quickly returns to be near us and them. Other less frequent guests he still hides from. That includes the person who visits daily when we are away on vacation, perhaps for two weeks, and that person actually has this cats brother, but our cat still hides every time.
Letting your cat hide in your mattress is not a solution either. This indicates that the basecamp is not set up properly/your cat needs own retreat options.

Yes cats look for their own hideouts, but if your cats love your smell so much then try to spread it to optional hideouts, offer them various options in form of markable catfurniture etc. Our cat used to retreat under the sofa, till he truly "arrived", now he has a new go to. The top of his cat tree in the sleeping room.

A lot went wrong in the past. I understand that 3k each is expensive, but you should have gotten a second (third) opinion.

Have you ever sprained a limp? Let me tell you they dont "cure themselves". (Been there.) Yes, it might be that you are somewhat lucky that it somehow regrowth - there is no guarantee it will not leave your cat in constant pain after wrongfully healing -, however you get a guarantee to rip again (which it obviously did). Even if you dont operate, the limps need rest/cast for it to heal well. Your cat had nothing.

We cant change what hapoened in the past, the good thing is that it riped again. Take your cat to another vet. Get a second (third) opinion. Tell them about the past too. If its too expensive, ask them if they know about programs that could financially support you. Compare prices of different vets.

You say your cat is in constant pain because it shows it. Cats dont show pain normally, it is most likely your cat never stopped to have pain but now they became so intensive that it cant hide it anymore.

That itself is a HUGE red flag and that's also the reason why both Weltall and myself urge you to seek medical help for your cat.

This is not a reason for a cat to be put down. Cats can live with 3 limps even, why'd you put down a cat who has sprained a limp?

How many options did you seek out to support you? There are vets in america that are cheaper than other or even just ask you to pay as much as you can afford.

In general you should have a pet insurance, they would have covered it (partially). You could also step towards shelters/cat rescues etc.

For the future: get a pet insurance.

You ASSUMED she did. She didnt.

Indeed. I'm going to try to spend more time up here. I just feel so helpless there's nothing I can do to help her right now hour to hour. It's all up to the healing process. I know she's also hurting. That's what kills me. She's not supposed to move and when I'm in the room with her, she wants to move around and see what I'm doing. If I'm not in there, she usually sits in one place.

I went to the vet on the 26th. They gave me pain pills and medicine. I was under the assumption that the pain would go away after a few days with the medicine and the ankle would start to heal after 3-6 weeks. The pain hasn't gone away. I also come from a family with farmers and they've been telling me the cat should adjust to it. The ACL stuff kinda confirmed that for me so I just went with the waiting game. Now, I want to seek help after a prolonged window of pain.

Cats deal with all sort of pain and seem ok. The question is: Do you want a pain free cat? If yes your cat needs most likely an operation.

Dont try the farmers argument, they held cats back in the days who got kitten thrice a year and "totally did ok" nobody watched out for them because they reproduced themself anyway. It's not really a good argument to say "back then the cats were fine, mine will be too". They werent fine, nobody cared enough to actually invest any time or money into them. You do.

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry but I haven't the time time or inclination to humor your attempts to get an "internet discussion win" out of this situation. Good day.
There is no attempt at winning. I find it disappointing that you likely see me as just some instigator out to get a win, when all I'm preaching is "the owner is greatly distressed, and that doesn't make their prior pet owner conduct automatically acceptable, but all we can do now is go forward and help him and his pet heal". Discussions aren't for the purpose of generating a win or loss, or at least, they aren't for me. There is nothing else I can say on it.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
There is no attempt at winning. I find it disappointing that you likely see me as just some instigator out to get a win, when all I'm preaching is "the owner is greatly distressed, and that doesn't make their prior pet owner conduct automatically acceptable, but all we can do now is go forward and help him and his pet heal". Discussions aren't for the purpose of generating a win or loss, or at least, they aren't for me. There is nothing else I can say on it.
Helping his pet to heal means to urge them to get the right treatment. Even if the right treatment is fucking expensive, which means you have to explore different options.

Xyer knows what he should do, but he needs to understand how urgent it is. His cat is showing immense pain. That's like 9/10 on the emergency scale.

Different vets have different prices, get support from help organisations, ask if you can pay in rates, request a lower payment due to low income. Ask your local dhelter/cat rescue if they can help out. Im not a huge PETA fan, but maybe you could even explore that option. There is so much more you can do than sit and wait.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Letting your cat hide in your mattress is not a solution either. This indicates that the basecamp is not set up properly/your cat needs own retreat options.

Yes cats look for their own hideouts, but if your cats love your smell so much then try to spread it to optional hideouts, offer them various options in form of markable catfurniture etc. Our cat used to retreat under the sofa, till he truly "arrived", now he has a new go to. The top of his cat tree in the sleeping room.
What do you mean by markable? If it's face/whiskers, sure he does that. He's a little over 10 years old and is rarely more than a few feet away from me when he's awake. He's sitting at my feet right now, and has countless available beds, pillows and cat trees all over the house. If the doorbell were to ring right now though, he'd be off.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
You say your cat is in constant pain because it shows it. Cats dont show pain normally, it is most likely your cat never stopped to have pain but now they became so intensive that it cant hide it anymore.

That itself is a HUGE red flag and that's also the reason why both Weltall and myself urge you to seek medical help for your cat.

This is what worries me the most. For a cat to yelp for pain, it must be excruciating. I would be fucking terrified. :(

This is not a reason for a cat to be put down. Cats can live with 3 limps even, why'd you put down a cat who has sprained a limp?

Yeah, that bit didn't help my mood either.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

That is the most disturbing post I have ever seen in this forum.

The original incident, I can understand not having or not being able to afford $6K. No judgments there. However, "some meds" which I'm guessing lasted a week or two, and apparently no casts, sounds like awful medical care, which is your RESPONSIBILITY as an owner.

The recent incident is clear ANIMAL CRUELTY. You know you've taken her to a useless vet who presumably assumed it was a repeat tear and not a fracture, you know she is in immense constant pain, and your "solution" mostly consists of locking her in an upstairs room so you don't hear her cries. Of course people in this thread are going to be horrified and offended. I realize the timing is bad with Xmas and New Years, but you have to find a good vet IMMEDIATELY. I'm sure there are 24 hour emergency care options. Get recommendations from friends, co-workers, message board for your area, Yelp, etc. Ensure she is seen asap, not, "We can fit you in a week from Friday".

I find it a bit suspicious too that she tore both ACL's while apparently by herself. I'm not a vet, maybe that's not unusual, I don't know. I do wonder though whether that's something that could be caused by a person grabbing a cat by its legs and swinging/yanking it. I am not accusing the poster of doing that or knowing about someone who may have. I'm just a bit skeptical of this story, and before anyone leaps in to attack me for mentioning this let's be honest with ourselves and realize such things do happen. I hope I'm wrong about that. I remember a story last year about a woman in New York who got a roommate, a seemingly responsible Wall St banker, and she noticed after a while that her cat seemed to be scared of the roommate. It turned out the cat had various broken bones and injuries from him abusing it.

Last edited:

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I feel like this is the primary thing you're focusing on. It's not like I'm throwing her in an empty dark room alone for 20 hours. She's in my bedroom, which I've converted into a room for her. I took my mattress bed spring and frame out so she wouldn't need to jump anywhere (mattress is still here and it's where she mostly lays). I brought a giant box out for her to lay in if she wants. I've blocked off parts for her to jump. Laid blankets all over the floor for her to lay on. The food and water is well stocked (lots of soft foods, too) and I clean the litter box every 12 hours if she goes in it. I sometimes let her sibling cats come in to see her if they want (she isn't very into that though). I visit her every 30 min to an hour to talk to her and pet her.

I usually leave when she appears to be trying to sleep. If I'm moving around, it'll disturb her. I was told not to have her move a lot. The original case with the ACL was to put her in a cage so she wouldn't move at all. I didn't do that. That would be cruel.

I will admit I made a mistake in letting her sit up here in pain. That's all on me. I should've taken her to another vet after the first one. She gets agitated/pained when she moves the left leg. I am giving her pain pills though. They help for a little bit.

We cant change what hapoened in the past, the good thing is that it riped again. Take your cat to another vet. Get a second (third) opinion. Tell them about the past too. If its too expensive, ask them if they know about programs that could financially support you. Compare prices of different vets.

That's my plan. I'm going to call around tomorrow. Everywhere was literally open for like two days (Thursday/Friday) and I thought things were going okay until yesterday. I wish it wasn't New Years Day so I could do it right now.

Her getting put down was my fear. I'd obviously try a lot of stuff before it came to that. She's sitting right here next to me alive. I must have worded that incorrectly.

Dont try the farmers argument, they held cats back in the days who got kitten thrice a year and "totally did ok" nobody watched out for them because they reproduced themself anyway. It's not really a good argument to say "back then the cats were fine, mine will be too". They werent fine, nobody cared enough to actually invest any time or money into them. You do.

I'm trying to rationalize this. I live in a rural area. Lots of people have this farm cat mentality. It may seem absurd but that's an influence on me. We had an outside cat that hurt herself a long time ago. We did the exact same thing we did now and she lived to age 16. Had a perfectly normal life after.

Helping his pet to heal means to urge them to get the right treatment. Even if the right treatment is fucking expensive, which means you have to explore different options.

Xyer knows what he should do, but he needs to understand how urgent it is. His cat is showing immense pain. That's like 9/10 on the emergency scale.

Different vets have different prices, get support from help organisations, ask if you can pay in rates, request a lower payment due to low income. Ask your local dhelter/cat rescue if they can help out. Im not a huge PETA fan, but maybe you could even explore that option. There is so much more you can do than sit and wait.

I've never done this before, so I have no idea what my options are. I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow and hope they aren't the butchers as you said before. They're pretty expensive so I'm not sure how it'll go.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean by markable? If it's face/whiskers, sure he does that. He's a little over 10 years old and is rarely more than a few feet away from me when he's awake. He's sitting at my feet right now, and has countless available beds, pillows and cat trees all over the house. If the doorbell were to ring right now though, he'd be off.
Cats mark territory in different ways. Insecure cats keep doing that by peeing (not wanted) next step would be face and paw markers (cute) and number 3 is scratching (provide things it is allowed to scratch around his new hideout).

Some cats are tree dwellers and some bush. Most likely yours might be bush dweller as your cat prefers low level caves. (Shiro loved bushes, now goes as high as possible, so there are exceptions.)

What you'd need is something with your smell on it, place worn shirts in your cat furniture. Have you ever tried feliway dispensers? This might lower your cats stress level as well.

I'd consult with a vet as well, it could help to temporary give your cat calming food.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Weltall Zero, I never saw your edit in post #417, until now. I would have backed down some if I had, because I agree with your bottom line that what matters is Xyer's cat. I'm sorry I missed it.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I find it a bit suspicious too that she tore both ACL's while apparently by herself. I'm not a vet, maybe that's not unusual, I don't know. I do wonder though whether that's something that could be caused by a person grabbing a cat by its legs and swinging/yanking it. I am not accusing the poster of doing that or knowing about someone who may have. I'm just a bit skeptical of this story, and before anyone leaps in to attack me for mentioning this let's be honest with ourselves and realize such things do happen. I hope I'm wrong about that. I remember a story last year about a woman in New York who got a roommate, a seemingly responsible Wall St banker, and she noticed after a while that her cat seemed to be scared of the roommate. It turned out the cat had various broken bones and injuries from him abusing it.

Uhhh. What the fuck. She was an outside cat (not anymore since the tear two years ago). She probably got hurt while outside. I would never abuse my animals. I came home one day and she was limping.

This current incident was because she was startled and jumped off a desk and landed awkwardly. It was a freak accident.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is the primary thing you're focusing on. It's not like I'm throwing her in an empty dark room alone for 20 hours. She's in my bedroom, which I've converted into a room for her. I took my mattress bed spring and frame out so she wouldn't need to jump anywhere (mattress is still here and it's where she mostly lays). I brought a giant box out for her to lay in if she wants. I've blocked off parts for her to jump. Laid blankets all over the floor for her to lay on. The food and water is well stocked (lots of soft foods, too) and I clean the litter box every 12 hours if she goes in it. I sometimes let her sibling cats come in to see her if they want (she isn't very into that though). I visit her every 30 min to an hour to talk to her and pet her.

I usually leave when she appears to be trying to sleep. If I'm moving around, it'll disturb her. I was told not to have her move a lot. The original case with the ACL was to put her in a cage so she wouldn't move at all. I didn't do that. That would be cruel.

I will admit I made a mistake in letting her sit up here in pain. That's all on me. I should've taken her to another vet after the first one. She gets agitated/pained when she moves the left leg. I am giving her pain pills though. They help for a little bit.

That's my plan. I'm going to call around tomorrow. Everywhere was literally open for like two days (Thursday/Friday) and I thought things were going okay until yesterday. I wish it wasn't New Years Day so I could do it right now.

Her getting put down was my fear. I'd obviously try a lot of stuff before it came to that. She's sitting right here next to me alive. I must have worded that incorrectly.

I'm trying to rationalize this. I live in a rural area. Lots of people have this farm cat mentality. It may seem absurd but that's an influence on me. We had an outside cat that hurt herself a long time ago. We did the exact same thing we did now and she lived to age 16. Had a perfectly normal life after.

I've never done this before, so I have no idea what my options are. I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow and hope they aren't the butchers as you said before. They're pretty expensive so I'm not sure how it'll go.
Try the next big city with different vets. They might be cheaper too.

You have plenty options, and I hope that you will never see the first vet ever again for not supporting you in a better way when he should.

https://www.aaha.org/pet_owner/life...eterinary-care-many-nonprofits-can-help!.aspx

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Cats mark territory in different ways. Insecure cats keep doing that by peeing (not wanted) next step would be face and paw markers (cute) and number 3 is scratching (provide things it is allowed to scratch around his new hideout).

Some cats are tree dwellers and some bush. Most likely yours might be bush dweller as your cat prefers low level caves. (Shiro loved bushes, now goes as high as possible, so there are exceptions.)

What you'd need is something with your smell on it, place worn shirts in your cat furniture. Have you ever tried feliway dispensers? This might lower your cats stress level as well.

I'd consult with a vet as well, it could help to temporary give your cat calming food.
I should have said, I've had him since I rescued him outside my house when he was 4 weeks old, and he's lived in this same house for over 10 years since then. If only we could all have lives as stress free as he does. He just doesn't want to risk being with strangers. Our other cat is happy to greet anyone.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Our orange tabby passed away in August... Some time later, we rescued five kittens and ended up keeping these two ladies. I love these little fur balls.

U75DHP3.jpg

EV6un4p.jpg

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

OK, let's focus on what you can do. I feel like you would be best served with some local help. Can you check if there's any cat rescue service around your area? Just google your city / town name and "cat rescue". They will be the best informed as to what vets are actually good and can be trusted, and which ones aren't, among a lot other advice.

Stay with your cat as much as you can. Hold / hug her, if possible. Cats in pain can become very needy and this is something you'll have to cope with for a while. Can you bring your entertainment / work there?

If there's any food she particularly favors, you can let her indulge on it a bit. I've noticed my cats tend to fall asleep after a good meal of something they love, which may help her pass the time better.

I'm trying to think of more but I'm kind of drawing a blank and have a massive headache right now. Guys?

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
My 2 monkeys Chloe and Abby.

Hissy Fit

We have two sisters as well, one of whom is named Chloe :) This is an older photo, and unfortunately she's lost a LOT of weight in a short period of time since, but that was a while ago and she's still kicking so we just enjoy each day with her as much as possible.
wDz4nkZl.jpg

And her sister, Spooky (also an old photo, but if anything she's chunked up since it was taken):
x9A8St9l.jpg

Bonus: Spooks playing pinball:
sIOziWVl.jpg

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
We have two sisters as well, one of whom is named Chloe :) This is an older photo, and unfortunately she's lost a LOT of weight in a short period of time since, but that was a while ago and she's still kicking so we just enjoy each day with her as much as possible.
wDz4nkZl.jpg

And her sister, Spooky (also an old photo, but if anything she's chunked up since it was taken):
x9A8St9l.jpg

Bonus: Spooks playing pinball:
sIOziWVl.jpg

Black cats with huge eyes are so fun to look at. They look like eaten Pac-Man ghosts. :) I guess Spook is an appropriate name!

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Black cats with huge eyes are so fun to look at. They look like eaten Pac-Man ghosts. :) I guess Spook is an appropriate name!
Funnily enough, she was called Spooky because she was easily spooked, not because she was mysterious or anything related to ghosts, really!
My wife had them when we met so I've only known them for around 5 years, but I freaking love them to bits. As does our 6-year-old Greyhound, Jasper :D

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Funnily enough, she was called Spooky because she was easily spooked, not because she was mysterious or anything related to ghosts, really!
My wife had them when we met so I've only known them for around 5 years, but I freaking love them to bits. As does our 6-year-old Greyhound, Jasper :D

Cats and dogs often get so well together. One of the wrongest myths about cats (and there's a few!).

Our own black cat is also the shyest / most cowardly. Which is hilarious considering he's the largest, at 7Kg. But he's so beautiful and sweet. Well, all of them are. :)

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Cats and dogs often get so well together. One of the wrongest myths about cats (and there's a few!).
I think the myth is compounded even further with the (grossly exaggerated) reputation greyhounds have. Mind you, the cats don't necessarily "get along" with Jasper, they merely tolerate him. Surprisingly well too, given how old and stubborn the kitties are. He just wants to be friends, but I'd be intimidated as well if someone 10x my size tried to be friends with me!

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I think the myth is compounded even further with the (grossly exaggerated) reputation greyhounds have. Mind you, the cats don't necessarily "get along" with Jasper, they merely tolerate him. Surprisingly well too, given how old and stubborn the kitties are. He just wants to be friends, but I'd be intimidated as well if someone 10x my size tried to be friends with me!

It's typical that dogs want to play and cats aren't thrilled by the idea, hahah. I guess this happens more when cats already have other cats to play with, or are older and don't need much play. But I've seen the opposite too, cats falling into a depression when their canine sibling passed away. I think it's so beautiful how they love without caring about species, let alone race.

What's the reputation of greyhounds? I don't know a lot about dogs so I only know they're very sweet, and that unfortunately a lot of people either get them as a whim, or use them for racing, leading to a large amount of them being abandoned. :(

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I personally don't even have $6,000

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
What's the reputation of greyhounds? I don't know a lot about dogs so I only know they're very sweet, and that unfortunately a lot of people either get them as a whim, or use them for racing, leading to a large amount of them being abandoned. :(
That they're more likely to attack/have prey drive, are only trained to race etc. An example of their misunderstanding is my state (Victoria, Australia) only just passed a law where greys are no longer required to wear muzzles in public. Previously, unless they'd been adopted out by a single sanctioned body (sponsored by the official greyhound racing assoc. in Victoria :/) then they had to wear muzzles regardless of aggressiveness.

Irony of this is that I frequently hear stories of greys getting attacked by other dogs who are off their leash (which happened to us only a few weeks ago!), owners being on the receiving end of insults or even being poisoned (with angry/ignorant neighbours throwing grapes over the fence for a pet greyhound to eat :( ).

Bonus: Kitty/greyhound pics:
TgKPOril.jpg

1gBw4EMl.jpg

tB33AnYl.jpg

They make my heart melt <3

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That they're more likely to attack/have prey drive, are only trained to race etc. An example of their misunderstanding is my state (Victoria, Australia) only just passed a law where greys are no longer required to wear muzzles in public. Previously, unless they'd been adopted out by a single sanctioned body (sponsored by the official greyhound racing assoc. in Victoria :/) then they had to wear muzzles regardless of aggressiveness.

Irony of this is that I frequently hear stories of greys getting attacked by other dogs who are off their leash (which happened to us only a few weeks ago!), owners being on the receiving end of insults or even being poisoned (with angry/ignorant neighbours throwing grapes over the fence for a pet greyhound to eat :( ).

Bonus: Kitty/greyhound pics:
TgKPOril.jpg

1gBw4EMl.jpg

tB33AnYl.jpg

They make my heart melt <3

Such beautiful pics, awww. :) Thanks for sharing.

I didn't know greyhounds had a reputation for being agressive; usually it's other races like pitbulls that get this reputation, at least here in Spain. I don't think I've even ever heard of a greyhound attacking someone. But yeah, again, I'm not as knowledgeable of the dog meta. :)

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Such beautiful pics, awww. :) Thanks for sharing.

I didn't know greyhounds had a reputation for being agressive; usually it's other races like pitbulls that get this reputation, at least here in Spain. I don't think I've even ever heard of a greyhound attacking someone. But yeah, again, I'm not as knowledgeable of the dog meta. :)
It's a completely false reputation I think, probably from them being forced to wear muzzles in public, at least in Australia. AFAIK even that was to prevent them from attacking each other in public, not other dogs, and it was 50 years ago or so. And I guess it just perpetuated from there :/

Anyway, any cat lovers who basically want a gigantic cat, get a greyhound. They're lazier than cats!

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
2uqL990_d.jpg

This is my 17 year old grey tabby, Ashes. He's very interested in the spoon that I'm holding out of frame.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I decided I hate money, and have joined Cat-Era.

This is Athena, I got her from the Denver Dumb Friends League. She's a bit over a year old.

ITB14Cj.jpg

I haven't owned a cat since I moved out of my parent's house, due to lack of space. But my new apartment has a half-bedroom that I can use for the litter-box, so I made the plunge right before Christmas. She's been a sweetie so far, and has acclimated incredibly fast. She uses the scratching post/cat tower, and so far, no accidents. She did have a day and half of sneezing, and threw up once after I took her for her first vet check up, but she's settled in quite well. She's determined to be a lap cat, and I hope she's OK when I go back to work after the Christmas break next week. Got her some toys, and she seems to be enjoying them.

She even took to a monstrous automatic litter box I got, and is fascinated when it goes through the cleaning cycle. I'm hopeful cleaning maintenance on it will be easy.

She was fascinated by the latest snow-storm, and last night was quite interested in the firework noises (not freaked out, but legit "run to the window" interested).

Still need to teach her where she can and can't climb, but she's starting to learn not to jump on the kitchen counters or she'll get sprayed.

Macheezmo

Oct 25, 2017
So I think we rushed introducing our new cat to our resident cats. It seemed like they were going to tolerate each other, but it's just constant tension. One cat just hisses when she sees her and will swat if she gets too close, but will still hang out in the same room and sleep. Our other cat won't even come within line of sight without just running away back to our bedroom. I think the best course of action is just to just go back to zero and start the process over, but more slowly this time. It's a shame since the new cat has taken to the house really well and is a sweet cat, and now she's going to be mostly confined to her base camp for a while, but I think it's for the best in the long run.