• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I decided I hate money, and have joined Cat-Era.

This is Athena, I got her from the Denver Dumb Friends League. She's a bit over a year old.

ITB14Cj.jpg

I haven't owned a cat since I moved out of my parent's house, due to lack of space. But my new apartment has a half-bedroom that I can use for the litter-box, so I made the plunge right before Christmas. She's been a sweetie so far, and has acclimated incredibly fast. She uses the scratching post/cat tower, and so far, no accidents.
How many litter boxes do you have?

She did have a day and half of sneezing, and threw up once after I took her for her first vet check up, but she's settled in quite well.

Set up your pet carrier somewhere in the house and hide treats/kibbles in it. Form a positive connection to it so she wont get as stressed next time. Vet visits are always stressful for pets, but if you prepare them for them with positive reinforcement, this will pay off in the long run.

Especially if your cat should ever be seriously sick, because the additional stress would be really bad for her. The pet carrier must become her best friend. Keep it always open, let it stuck around.

Take your pet for check ups too, even if its healthy. This way it does not learn "vet=bad".

She's determined to be a lap cat, and I hope she's OK when I go back to work after the Christmas break next week. Got her some toys, and she seems to be enjoying them.
instead of feeding kibbles out of bowl, you can hide themaround the house or in smart feeder (trick feeders/intellegence feeders). This way your cat has to do something for her food.

Im also a huge fan of that catit trail thing.

She was fascinated by the latest snow-storm, and last night was quite interested in the firework noises (not freaked out, but legit "run to the window" interested).

Still need to teach her where she can and can't climb, but
offer alternative path, let her watch from other places etc. And maybe remove some of your decoration. Cats will get less climby with age, but yours is still young. Offer her cat highways if possible.

she's starting to learn not to jump on the kitchen counters or she'll get sprayed.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
So I think we rushed introducing our new cat to our resident cats. It seemed like they were going to tolerate each other, but it's just constant tension. One cat just hisses when she sees her and will swat if she gets too close, but will still hang out in the same room and sleep. Our other cat won't even come within line of sight without just running away back to our bedroom. I think the best course of action is just to just go back to zero and start the process over, but more slowly this time. It's a shame since the new cat has taken to the house really well and is a sweet cat, and now she's going to be mostly confined to her base camp for a while, but I think it's for the best in the long run.
Have you tried feliway friends?

As long as they are free to get to the resources it can be ok to let them sort it out too. I wouldnt leave them alone/unsupervised, instead if you leave I'd seperate them again, (also if they should ever have a real fight with serious injuries) but in general it does sound like normal behaviour to a certain degree.

If they move in the house both, get to all resources and you had no marking or other additional expression of stress than with one another i'd consider letting them sort it out.

Did you feed them together already? What about playing time? Can you distract scared cat from other cat?

Macheezmo

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried feliway friends?

As long as they are free to get to the resources it can be ok to let them sort it out too. I wouldnt leave them alone/unsupervised, instead if you leave I'd seperate them again, (also if they should ever have a real fight with serious injuries) but in general it does sound like normal behaviour to a certain degree.

If they move in the house both, get to all resources and you had no marking or other additional expression of stress than with one another i'd consider letting them sort it out.

Did you feed them together already? What about playing time? Can you distract scared cat from other cat?

The new cat (Pandora) and one of the resident cats (Shinobi) will eat near each other without much incident. Those two I'm not too concerned about, but the other cat (Baby) won't even come downstairs (where everyone hangs out) anymore, and she won't eat if Pandora is upstairs at all. She basically just lives on our bed, and comes out if she needs to eat or use the litter box. She normally loves to hang out and snuggle with us wherever we're at, and I feel really bad for her current situation that she's too scared to do anything. There's nothing Baby likes a ton that I can distract her with while Pandora is around. She likes treats, but won't eat them if she sees her at all. She just growls and hisses and looks for an opportunity to run back to our bedroom. Shinobi I can easily distract with a lint roller (I don't know, but she looooves them rubbed on her face). I'm just thinking I need to get Baby more comfortable downstairs again then slowly reintroduce them. We've just put in some of that Feliway yesterday, one upstairs and one downstairs, and we're hoping that after a couple weeks it will get better.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
The new cat (Pandora) and one of the resident cats (Shinobi) will eat near each other without much incident. Those two I'm not too concerned about, but the other cat (Baby) won't even come downstairs (where everyone hangs out) anymore, and she won't eat if Pandora is upstairs at all. She basically just lives on our bed, and comes out if she needs to eat or use the litter box. She normally loves to hang out and snuggle with us wherever we're at, and I feel really bad for her current situation that she's too scared to do anything. There's nothing Baby likes a ton that I can distract her with while Pandora is around. She likes treats, but won't eat them if she sees her at all. She just growls and hisses and looks for an opportunity to run back to our bedroom. Shinobi I can easily distract with a lint roller (I don't know, but she looooves them rubbed on her face). I'm just thinking I need to get Baby more comfortable downstairs again then slowly reintroduce them. We've just put in some of that Feliway yesterday, one upstairs and one downstairs, and we're hoping that after a couple weeks it will get better.
So you have 3 cats? That changes the entire situation.

Pandora is new? Shinobi and her are buddies now I suppose? How is the relationship between Shinobi and Baby?

How did you introduce Pandora to them?

Normally you'd seperate old cats and new cats, feed them at the same closed door and later switch the door out with a temporary mesh door.

Baby refuses to eat with Pandora, that indicates that this step is not through with her. You can go from here in different directions.

One option would be to seperate again, but as long as Pandora is doung fine with Shinobi I wouldnt want to seperate them again.

Instead you could try to make Baby understand that Pandora is okay (just works if Baby and Shinobi still have a good relationship). You put Baby on one side of the mesh and shinobi and pandora on the other.

There is an entire Jackson Galaxy Season 7 Ep 10 with a case very similiar to this.

Regarding Feliway: there are two different kinds: Friends and classic. Friends is for cat conflicts, classic to make your cat generally feel welcome.

Last edited:

Macheezmo

Oct 25, 2017
So you have 3 cats? That changes the entire situation.

Pandora is new? Shinobi and her are buddies now I suppose? How is the relationship between Shinobi and Baby?

How did you introduce Pandora to them?

Normally you'd seperate old cats and new cats, feed them at the same closed door and later switch the door out with a temporary mesh door.

Baby refuses to eat with Pandora, that indicates that this step is not through with her. You can go from here in different directions.

One option would be to seperate again, but as long as Pandora is doung fine with Shinobi I wouldnt want to seperate them again.

Instead you could try to make Baby understand that Pandora is okay (just works if Baby and Shinobi still have a good relationship). You put Baby on one side of the mesh and shinobi and pandora on the other.

There is an entire Jackson Galaxy Season 7 Ep 10 with a case very similiar to this.

Regarding Feliway: there are two different kinds: Friends and classic. Friends is for cat conflicts, classic to make your cat generally feel welcome.

I watched that episode and while there's no serious aggression in our cats like the ones in that episode, I can see the similarities.

Shinobi and Baby are pals. They don't snuggle or anything, but they have no problem sleeping a couple feet apart. Never any issues with them, we've had them for 10 and 8 years respectively.

We introduced Pandora by keeping her in base camp, feeding cats on opposite sides of the door. Let the cats explore each others areas. But we only did it for about 3 days. We started letting Pandora out supervised and giving them treats when they were near each other. It started pretty decent; Baby and Shinobi would hiss and just walk away. There were a couple times where Pandora wanted to play so she chased them and that's when they started getting scared. Since we got the Feliway (Friends version) she seems to have lost interest in chasing. Pandora isn't aggressive towards Shinobi nor Baby and mostly just wants to hang out with us and get lots of pets. Shinobi has learned to mostly tolerate her, but still isn't excited about her and will hiss if she gets too close to her.

I might be able to get Pandora and Shinobi to eat on one side of the door but as it is right now, if Baby knows Pandora is there, she'll just run back upstairs. My thoughts right now are to just put Pandora back in her base camp with the door closed for feeding and see if I can get Baby and Shinobi to eat downstairs near the door. My hope is that Shinobi eating with her will be like a buffer and make her feel better. Then I'll just let Pandora back out when Baby ends up going back upstairs and maybe a couple times per day put Pandora back in base camp and bring Baby back downstairs to explore until she doesn't want to.

edit:
For some visual reference, here's Shinobi (black) and Baby (orange) sleeping on me
WIo56ER.jpg

and here's Pandora sleeping on the chair next to me
xUvf6AC.jpg

Last edited:

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I watched that episode and while there's no serious aggression in our cats like the ones in that episode, I can see the similarities.

Shinobi and Baby are pals. They don't snuggle or anything, but they have no problem sleeping a couple feet apart. Never any issues with them, we've had them for 10 and 8 years respectively.

We introduced Pandora by keeping her in base camp, feeding cats on opposite sides of the door. Let the cats explore each others areas. But we only did it for about 3 days. We started letting Pandora out supervised and giving them treats when they were near each other. It started pretty decent; Baby and Shinobi would hiss and just walk away. There were a couple times where Pandora wanted to play so she chased them and that's when they started getting scared. Since we got the Feliway (Friends version) she seems to have lost interest in chasing. Pandora isn't aggressive towards Shinobi nor Baby and mostly just wants to hang out with us and get lots of pets. Shinobi has learned to mostly tolerate her, but still isn't excited about her and will hiss if she gets too close to her.

I might be able to get Pandora and Shinobi to eat on one side of the door but as it is right now, if Baby knows Pandora is there, she'll just run back upstairs. My thoughts right now are to just put Pandora back in her base camp with the door closed for feeding and see if I can get Baby and Shinobi to eat downstairs near the door. My hope is that Shinobi eating with her will be like a buffer and make her feel better. Then I'll just let Pandora back out when Baby ends up going back upstairs and maybe a couple times per day put Pandora back in base camp and bring Baby back downstairs to explore until she doesn't want to.

edit:
For some visual reference, here's Shinobi (black) and Baby (orange) sleeping on me
WIo56ER.jpg

and here's Pandora sleeping on the chair next to me
xUvf6AC.jpg
How old is pandora compared to the others? Maybe you need to take out some energy of her by playing more.

Have you tried putting a mesh door between them covered with a towl? Does she retreat already at pandoras smell?

If not, i'd try to blind feed her infront of shinobi and pandora, so that she believes she is alone. If that works after a week: slightly lift the towl while she is eating, so she doesnt realize she's being watched.

I wouldnt go back to feeding at the massive wooden door, as you said the relationship between your cats isnt as intense. The mesh door allows more smell to travel while baby can feel safe. If neccessary it can still be covered.

If baby refuses to eat near the mesh, raise distance. This technique you can try with the entire meal bowl or treats. Lay one down at far as she dares (around the corner?) and slowly lay the next one down a bit closer while she gobbles it up. Goal is to make her eat 1-2 feet away from the mesh. Dont rush. If day one means its 45 instead of 50 thats already good.

Maybe Weltall also has some ideas, i havent introduced a 3rd cat yet (but our two behaved like pandora and shinobi, thats why i think those two dont need to be seperated anymore).

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
How many litter boxes do you have?

Set up your pet carrier somewhere in the house and hide treats/kibbles in it. Form a positive connection to it so she wont get as stressed next time. Vet visits are always stressful for pets, but if you prepare them for them with positive reinforcement, this will pay off in the long run.

Especially if your cat should ever be seriously sick, because the additional stress would be really bad for her. The pet carrier must become her best friend. Keep it always open, let it stuck around.

Take your pet for check ups too, even if its healthy. This way it does not learn "vet=bad".

instead of feeding kibbles out of bowl, you can hide themaround the house or in smart feeder (trick feeders/intellegence feeders). This way your cat has to do something for her food.

Im also a huge fan of that catit trail thing.

offer alternative path, let her watch from other places etc. And maybe remove some of your decoration. Cats will get less climby with age, but yours is still young. Offer her cat highways if possible.

It's a small apartment (1 bedroom and 1 den), so I only have the one litterbox, but she's been really good about using it. In fact, when I got her home, the very first thing she did after coming out of the cat carrier was hop in and nose around. I keep the pet carrier set up, and I've seen her sitting on the door (it's one of those soft carriers). She actually did quite well at the vet, so I don't know if the day of sneezing was because of that. She didn't enjoy going into the carrier the first time, but once in she was really quiet, and at the vet she just explored, and was even nice to the vet.

I don't have that catit trail thing, but I have another brand with the same idea. She seems to enjoy it, and I've caught her playing with it the last few days. The vet also recommended a trick feeder, as my job requires me to go on a one night trip nearly every month, they said it will help keep her active. I've also hid some catnip mice around the house and she's had fun stalking those.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
YOU HAVE A CAT NAMED SHINOBI.

I think I just died, that's the best name for a cat ever. If we ever get another black kitty, I'm totally calling him/her that.

So many adorable cats here!

My fluffy furbaby

Ar0g6rJ.jpg
Just died again, omg. I love kitty bunny paws!

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry in advance about the downer but one of my cats is getting ready to go and I'm not ready. :-(

I love my cats so much and this is so hard.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry in advance about the downer but one of my cats is getting ready to go and I'm not ready. :-(

I know what you mean, we had to let go of our old cats 2 years ago and I was not living with my parents anymore so I had some distance which made it easier but still.

I still recall them and think about what could have done differently etc. (Answer a lot.)

NineLives with Dr Kat just had recently an episode about that topic, more on concentrating when is the right time but in general I found it very, very helpful especially because it shows how helpful it is to have a good vet who supports you emotionally.

https://www.petliferadio.com/ninelives_player25.htm

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking of getting another cat well a kitten. The last time I had one was several years ago. She was about 15 or 16 when she passed away. So when we got her there was always someone generally at home while she was a kitten. That really won't be the case now. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to handle one when you're working full time?

I normally leave for work around 7am and I'm getting back usually around 4:30pm. The plan would be to get him or her when I'm on my vacation so I can spend as much time as possible with them at first. Make sure they're comfortable with their surroundings, etc. That should last roughly over 2 weeks. Maybe three if I don't take any days before that.

I have no issue dealing with an adult cat and all that is required to take care of one. It's the kitten aspect I'm concerned about. I'm aiming for a kitten because we have two dogs in the house I want the them to both be comfortable around the cat and for the cat to grow up and be comfortable with them. Getting and taking in an adult cat I assume has its own challenges but not looking in that direction. We had gotten one of the dogs as a puppy around a year before other cat passed away so he grew up with her basically being the one in charge. So I imagine he's not going to be an issue.

Oct 25, 2017

On December 14th, I walked into the specialty vet with my baby girl Pandora for an ultrasound (she'd had cholangiohepatitis in the past and her bloodwork was showing elevated liver values, so both me and my regular vet assumed it had returned) and walked out with an empty carrier and without my best friend. It was the most heartbreaking and excruciating 2 hours of my life. She was only 13 and I wasn't ready to say goodbye to her at all, but given her condition (major blockage due to gallstones and strong evidence of bowel cancer) I had to say goodbye.

I'm so sorry. It's so hard. I will never regret holding her in my arms and letting her go peacefully as I pet her and told her I loved her. I couldn't let her suffer through a traumatic intense surgery and chemotherapy for selfish reasons. And I'm someone who, when she was perfectly healthy, would tear up just thinking about having to life live without her.

When your kitty is ready to go, definitely let them go. ❤️ It is impossibly difficult and it sucks so, so much.

If you need someone to talk to, let me know. I am still devastated and in shock and this experience has taught me that some people completely get it but a lot of people don't.

I opted to get her paw print and have her cremated and I'm really glad I did.

Cat Dad

Oct 25, 2017
On December 14th, I walked into the specialty vet with my baby girl Pandora for an ultrasound (she'd had cholangiohepatitis in the past and her bloodwork was showing elevated liver values, so both me and my regular vet assumed it had returned) and walked out with an empty carrier and without my best friend. It was the most heartbreaking and excruciating 2 hours of my life. She was only 13 and I wasn't ready to say goodbye to her at all, but given her condition (major blockage due to gallstones and strong evidence of bowel cancer) I had to say goodbye.

I'm so sorry. It's so hard. I will never regret holding her in my arms and letting her go peacefully as I pet her and told her I loved her. I couldn't let her suffer through a traumatic intense surgery and chemotherapy for selfish reasons. And I'm someone who, when she was perfectly healthy, would tear up just thinking about having to life live without her.

When your kitty is ready to go, definitely let them go. ❤️ It is impossibly difficult and it sucks so, so much.

If you need someone to talk to, let me know. I am still devastated and in shock and this experience has taught me that some people completely get it but a lot of people don't.

My ex and I had to do this with her orange tabby Houdini. We opted to get paw prints, nose prints, and fur clippings. Letting him go was very hard but I'm so grateful I got to hold him and let him know he was loved even in his final moments. And Angry Grimace I'm also here if you need someone to talk to.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I've been thinking of getting another cat well a kitten. The last time I had one was several years ago. She was about 15 or 16 when she passed away. So when we got her there was always someone generally at home while she was a kitten. That really won't be the case now. Does anyone have any tips or advice on how to handle one when you're working full time?

Yes: get two cats. No, really. Cats are social creatures that get bored, stressed and depressed if let alone for extended periods of time. If nobody is going to be home for long stretches of time, I'm sorry to say, but get two cats, or get none.

I have no issue dealing with an adult cat and all that is required to take care of one. It's the kitten aspect I'm concerned about. I'm aiming for a kitten because we have two dogs in the house

Oh wait, you have dogs? Sorry, forget the above then; dogs are excellent cat companions.

Assuming you get, say, a two-three month kitten who's on solid food, they're typically not that much more needy than an adult cat (certainly less than an adult dog; which, speaking of, who walks your dogs while you're working?). As long as your dogs can provide companionship, I think you're covered. Even young kittens typically already know how to use litter boxes and such.

I want the them to both be comfortable around the cat and for the cat to grow up and be comfortable with them. Getting and taking in an adult cat I assume has its own challenges but not looking in that direction. We had gotten one of the dogs as a puppy around a year before other cat passed away so he grew up with her basically being the one in charge. So I imagine he's not going to be an issue.

Dogs are typically very nice to cats, so you don't have to worry about that. If your cat grows up among dogs, the only "issue" I can think of is that the cat will believe itself to be a dog, and adopt dog behaviour, which is always kind of hilarious. I think a young cat with older dogs is better than the opposite, where the hyperactive puppy might want to play all the time while the cats don't find the idea as appealing.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I'm tearing up now (and sniffing) at reading this and seeing the photo. I also tear up often when I think about living without my Ratón, which is 100% healthy but 9 already. You are very correct in that some people don't get it, but if I was to choose between keeping my sweet baby suffering for selfish reasons and having him let go peacefully, I'd 110% do the second. Or at least I want to think of myself as the kind of person who would.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the kind words, fellers.

I do have my other cat and my dog, so it's not like I'll be alone, but I will miss her so much. She seemed a little better last I looked and was still eating, so I feel like maybe I was being morbid or trying to resign myself to her imminent passing in some stupid method of trying to cope with how painful it's going to be. I left for work this morning and both kitties were happily sleeping in a pile on my roomate's tummy.

Oct 25, 2017
My ex and I had to do this with her orange tabby Houdini. We opted to get paw prints, nose prints, and fur clippings. Letting him go was very hard but I'm so grateful I got to hold him and let him know he was loved even in his final moments. And Angry Grimace I'm also here if you need someone to talk to.
Oh, a nose print! That's so sweet. They didn't offer that or fur clippings for me but I am so so glad I got the paw print; on nights where I'm feeling sad and really missing her I'll gently hold her paw print.

I'm tearing up now (and sniffing) at reading this and seeing the photo. I also tear up often when I think about living without my Ratón, which is 100% healthy but 9 already. You are very correct in that some people don't get it, but if I was to choose between keeping my sweet baby suffering for selfish reasons and having him let go peacefully, I'd 110% do the second. Or at least I want to think of myself as the kind of person who would.
It's so hard. I'd imagined the scenario many times as she was getting up there in age (and with her having been hospitalized the previous year I had already come close to having to say goodbye) but it was still so shocking and devastating when it happened. I have two other wonderful young cats (a pair of tabby brothers who are just about 2 years old) and a 4 month old puppy (see profile pic lol) but the sense of loss is just immense. She'd been with me through so much and was 100% my emotional support animal. If I was having a bad anxiety/depression day, she'd just snuggle quietly with me, like so:

Please give Ratón some snuggles from me!

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Oh, a nose print! That's so sweet. They didn't offer that or fur clippings for me but I am so so glad I got the paw print; on nights where I'm feeling sad and really missing her I'll gently hold her paw print.

It's so hard. I'd imagined the scenario many times as she was getting up there in age (and with her having been hospitalized the previous year I had already come close to having to say goodbye) but it was still so shocking and devastating when it happened. I have two other wonderful young cats (a pair of tabby brothers who are just about 2 years old) and a 4 month old puppy (see profile pic lol) but the sense of loss is just immense. She'd been with me through so much and was 100% my emotional support animal. If I was having a bad anxiety/depression day, she'd just snuggle quietly with me, like so:

Awww. They are so amazing.

This may sound silly (or even unparseable) but I can't conceive of it hurting any more than I already imagine it hurting. Like, in my imagination it's a huge black hole of infinite pain sadness that will sap me entirely of my will to live. I can't even imagine how I will be able to go on. I'm getting a knot in my throat just by (trying not to) think about it.

Please give Ratón some snuggles from me!

That won't be hard, I barely put him down. :)

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
YOU HAVE A CAT NAMED SHINOBI.

I think I just died, that's the best name for a cat ever. If we ever get another black kitty, I'm totally calling him/her that.

Just died again, omg. I love kitty bunny paws!
Thank you so much Rory for holding the fort and handing out the good advice <3 . People, listen to him, he knows what he's talking about.

Oh wow, even among cats that is one freaking beaut. Those eyes! <3

Thank you both!

------

Ahhhhh new day, new pictures of adorable cats! <3

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Recently adopted two 7-month old kittens (a brother and sister pair). The girl is outgoing and isn't bothered by us. The boy runs whenever we get near - even at feeding time, he won't come over to the food bowl unless we're more than a couple seconds away. When we are able to cuddle with him he's a lovable little guy, but it's rare. Anyone run into this? Strats on how to get a skittish kitty to come out of his shell? We play with him with a laser pointer and catnip toy on a stick just fine but when not doing that he hides.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
My wife sent me the picture today of our three and my heart melted.

H9ZlR4K.jpg

Binky on the far left was a new adopted addition 10 months ago and they have all recently been a lot happier together but never this close. Elsie (mum) in middle and Rosie (daughter) on right.

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Recently adopted two 7-month old kittens (a brother and sister pair). The girl is outgoing and isn't bothered by us. The boy runs whenever we get near - even at feeding time, he won't come over to the food bowl unless we're more than a couple seconds away. When we are able to cuddle with him he's a lovable little guy, but it's rare. Anyone run into this? Strats on how to get a skittish kitty to come out of his shell? We play with him with a laser pointer and catnip toy on a stick just fine but when not doing that he hides.

He'll eventually be more comfortable given time. I wouldn't sweat it or push it. Some cats take more time to warm up than others. Honestly, just keep doing what you would normally do and he'll get accustomed to the home dynamics and come out.

Some treats here and there also help, of course. ;)

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Hey all,

First: we're calling our vet tomorrow. But our 2.5yr old tomcat has been showing less-than-usual appetite (he usually devours his food) the past few days, and I have the idea that he isnt doing his daily poops in the litter box, to the point of no poops at all (but he also goes outside every day for a bit so maybe he just does it only outside, but that would be new). He seems a bit downish as well. He does eat (but less than usual) and drink and run around, and I did feel around in his tummy to see if he would react to that, but no clear indication on that front. We have the idea that he either is constipated, or maybe he is a bit upset / traumatised because of all the fireworks during new years eve. Any tips/checks we can do?

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all,

First: we're calling our vet tomorrow. But our 2.5yr old tomcat has been showing less-than-usual appetite (he usually devours his food) the past few days, and I have the idea that he isnt doing his daily poops in the litter box, to the point of no poops at all (but he also goes outside every day for a bit so maybe he just does it only outside, but that would be new). He seems a bit downish as well. He does eat (but less than usual) and drink and run around, and I did feel around in his tummy to see if he would react to that, but no clear indication on that front. We have the idea that he either is constipated, or maybe he is a bit upset / traumatised because of all the fireworks during new years eve. Any tips/checks we can do?
Only thing I can suggest is to try a spray called Feliway, which I think is available globally but it's definitely in Australia. It has a synthesized cat pheromone (I think) which has a calming effect on our kitties and would probably work wonders in that situation.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Only thing I can suggest is to try a spray called Feliway, which I think is available globally but it's definitely in Australia. It has a synthesized cat pheromone (I think) which has a calming effect on our kitties and would probably work wonders in that situation.
Loss of appetite, lethargy, constipation, that sounds like a medical issue and needs a vet.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Loss of appetite, lethargy, constipation, that sounds like a medical issue and needs a vet.
Yeah, I was more thinking if it was a stress thing. But that would be unlikely given it's several days after NYE.

Moral of the story: Always go to a vet, don't ask the internet unless it's 100% not that serious.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Carn did say that they're taking the cat to the vet tomorrow, but yeah, it can be a lot of things, some of them very serious, so definitely do so ASAP. Not much we can do from here.

Carn, is your cat's "third eyelid" showing? I'm thinking lethargy -> fever and it usually shows alongside lethargy.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

I don't know what else to say other than simply, sorry for your loss.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
She is actually better today. She is curled up with her sister in an adorable ball.
This is starting to happen with our Chloe (who is 15), too. About once a month she'll have a really off day and behaviour will be super distressing for my wife (they're her cats), like weird coughing/spewing or pooping. But because the cats don't like to be held (*at all*), any stress taking them to the vet would be worse than what they're going through. Always though, a day or two later, she'll be fine. And this has been happening for maybe the last year or so, well after she started getting quite thin :(

PS. I'm tearing up at work reading some of these posts, sometimes there's no more pure love than that between humans and pets <3

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is starting to happen with our Chloe (who is 15), too. About once a month she'll have a really off day and behaviour will be super distressing for my wife (they're her cats), like weird coughing/spewing or pooping. But because the cats don't like to be held (*at all*), any stress taking them to the vet would be worse than what they're going through. Always though, a day or two later, she'll be fine. And this has been happening for maybe the last year or so, well after she started getting quite thin :(

PS. I'm tearing up at work reading some of these posts, sometimes there's no more pure love than that between humans and pets <3
She got real thin a couple years back, but she's been fine since then. She is right next to me right now in a pile with her sister (they're both Tonkineses)

Her real name was Chloe, but my ex-wife renamed her Rukia like the anime character lol

Rory

Oct 25, 2017

I normally leave for work around 7am and I'm getting back usually around 4:30pm. The plan would be to get him or her when I'm on my vacation so I can spend as much time as possible with them at first. Make sure they're comfortable with their surroundings, etc. That should last roughly over 2 weeks. Maybe three if I don't take any days before that.

I have no issue dealing with an adult cat and all that is required to take care of one. It's the kitten aspect I'm concerned about. I'm aiming for a kitten because we have two dogs in the house I want the them to both be comfortable around the cat and for the cat to grow up and be comfortable with them. Getting and taking in an adult cat I assume has its own challenges but not looking in that direction. We had gotten one of the dogs as a puppy around a year before other cat passed away so he grew up with her basically being the one in charge. So I imagine he's not going to be an issue.
Unlike Weltall Im still pro two kitten. Especially at very young age they need an equal playmate, while dogs and cats get along super, the thing is that cats and dogs play very differently. This might as well lead to tensions, with two cats your kitty would still have a playmate even if the dogs dont feel like it or cant fill the role because their understanding of playing is entirely different from the kittens.

You can be lucky and have it work out. But that's not neccessarily the case that's why I'd recommend two kitties.

In general There are cats in shelters who get along with dogs well too. Older cats. With older cats, a single cat wouldnt be as much of a problem because they arent as playful and needy as kittens are. However, you need to make sure to get a cat that's dog compatible.

If you want to get only one cat, get sn older one (3+ years?) preferably female that's compatible with dogs. If you insist on a kitten, please get two. They will get used to the dogs, play with one another if bored (when you go to work you are gone for long so yeah) and in the end it's less stress for all involved.

Not sure how much cross-over viewers of this cat thread look at the PC Building thread so here are some cat shots I took from there.
Adorable! He must be a tech expert if he built it all by himself.

He'll eventually be more comfortable given time. I wouldn't sweat it or push it. Some cats take more time to warm up than others. Honestly, just keep doing what you would normally do and he'll get accustomed to the home dynamics and come out.

Some treats here and there also help, of course. ;)
7 month is quite young, what's the weight of the shy one? Have you been to the vet? How does he get along with the other cat? Does he react the same way when the other cat approaches?

I'd try to bribe him with dried meat treats for cats, occassionly offer fish on a spoon.

Food should get every cat out of their shell, if not that's pretty odd. Try to increase distance till your cat eats, then slowly decrease distance.

Use tools like long spoons etc. (Telescopic spoons?) if neccessary. Feliway classic is a very good advice.

Shiro took sometime to arrive, he's still no lap cat put he'd eat from the very beginning out of my hand. His behaviour is strange. He doesnt want to sit on our laps, but very rarely next to us (like once a week) he comes, sits within arm reach on the sofa and if you offer your hand he will mark it with his cheeks and demands petting. Other than that he's a very distanced cat. That's his personality.

When he is stressed he seeks my protection, you could say he turns into a very cuddly cat. i often sit with a cuddle blanket over my legs on the sofa which forms a tent, if he's very stressed he comes and lays under it and cuddles with me there. (He mainly did that during his arrival and during Christmas time). He'd then rest his head on my leg or hand and sleep there. At times he would come to me and put his paw on my cheek and sleep next to me when i fell asleep on the sofa, but only if he wanted. You couldn't make him sit next to you (although he follows our sign language command "come here", but he wouldnt stay for cuddles).

He started to distance himself more and more as he became less insecure. (Stopped sleeping under the sofa for night too.)

After half a year him being part of the family we started to give him calming food (as little changes easily stressed him), ever since his self-eestem has grown significantly! At the beginning this lead to more stress, as ryu tried to keep bossing shiro around and suddenly he wouldnt let him. Now they are both way calmer. Shiro sits more often on top of the sofa (not under the blanket) and dares to demand things. He is a very shy character.

Last edited:

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
She got real thin a couple years back, but she's been fine since then. She is right next to me right now in a pile with her sister (they're both Tonkineses)

Her real name was Chloe, but my ex-wife renamed her Rukia like the anime character lol
Is she still thin? Obviously it's an ongoing concern with our Chloe but she seems to eat fine. Just occasionally poops randomly around the house (about once a week).

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
She absolutely loves roast chicken, but last time I gave her a smallish amount of it she scarfed it too quickly and threw it back up :(
Roast chicken is spiced, if a cat has problems like throwing up a lot or runny poo you go for a diet of cooked chicken. Just buy regular chicken breast you'd eat as well (no bones! They break easily and splitter.) and boiled in water. Frying it in a pan or preparing it as a roast contains too many spices and oils (cats and oils dont go good along one another). Either way, after a week the poo should stabilize.

It is used to figure out food allergies in cats or get them back on track with their stomache.