• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jul 3, 2018
Juniper, named that at the sanctuary where she was rescued, kept the name.

About 6 years old now!

n2oyV9Q.jpg

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
7 month is quite young, what's the weight of the shy one? Have you been to the vet? How does he get along with the other cat? Does he react the same way when the other cat approaches?

Shy one is larger than the outgoing one. He gets along great with the other cat and does not run when the other cat approaches. The shy one will hop on our bed for some petting at night. He's getting a little closer to us during the day, but he'll still run if we try to approach him. He'll take treats, but only from a safe distance. We have Feliway diffusers around the house (2 of them). We're letting him get used to us. I've only fished him out once in order to trim his claws.

They're a great pair of cats - opposite personalities, but super cute and fun to play with.

Now I gotta figure out how to transfer them from using the litter box we temporarily had in our bedroom to the one we had for our old cats that's in a small cabinet in the living room which they haven't even gone over to/found. Hopefully that will not be a messy transition.

Oct 27, 2017
Posted this in some random pet stories thread, but since that kind of died - and since it's kind of crazy story that involved my cat - I figured I'd repost it in this very cool thread that I had no idea existed.

This happened back in September, when it had finally gotten a bit cooler outside. One Friday when I came home from work, I opened my windows to let my apartment air out for the first time in forever (I have screens, of course). Later on in the evening, I was eating some food in the living room and my cat was in the kitchen doing whatever. I had a small paper bag next to my work bag though, and my cat must have somehow gotten his head stuck in the paper handle of that bag. He proceeded to freak out, and sprint across my apartment. It barely registered with me at first, but he ran to my bedroom and then must have tried jumping against the wall. Only where he jumped was exactly the center of the window screen, and he went straight through (mind you, I'm on the fourth floor of a nyc apartment building). It again took me a minute to realize what had happened, and then an incredible sense of dread and terror set in immediately.

Needless to say, I ran downstairs (thinking the worst) and found him meowing in the back alleyway of my building. He was obviously in shock and tons of pain, and was bleeding pretty badly. And amazingly still had that fucking bag around his neck. Eventually I managed to get a hold of him (since he ran away from me at first - again, I'd imagine the fear instinct), and brought him to a emergency clinic. After a very tough weekend (I was still just assuming the worst, even after I found him alive outside), it turned out that there were no internal injuries, and the only external injury was a compound fracture in his rear leg. So, one splint and about 8 weeks later, he is perfectly fine, healthy, and happy. Was a pretty tough ride, but I'm still just incredibly thankful and lucky that things turned out the way they did.

I guess the lesson is though, if you have a cat that is curious, keep any sort of bag out of reach. It was something I normally did with plastic bags and the such., but didn't even realize that a head could fit through such a small paper loop of that paper bag.

Also, here are some pictures:

With splint:
ba4GiQD.jpg

Free of splint and happy:
I0hOPhc.jpg

Bonus with my other cat right after getting the splint off:
dO1swdZ.jpg

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bit of news about the cat me and my GF were supposed to get last week. They finally were able to book the vet for the 3rd and when they took her, the vet noticed she had a infected uterus and a hernia in her belly so they had to operate those. She's been recovering ever since and I just talked to the shelter and they said that if nothing goes wrong we will get her this wednesday, hopefully nothing goes wrong. :( My gf was crying so much when she heard the news about the operation and saw the pic the shelter posted on their FB :( She looks so sad :(

dsc_4242mhcsq.png

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
A bit of news about the cat me and my GF were supposed to get last week. They finally were able to book the vet for the 3rd and when they took her, the vet noticed she had a infected uterus and a hernia in her belly so they had to operate those. She's been recovering ever since and I just talked to the shelter and they said that if nothing goes wrong we will get her this wednesday, hopefully nothing goes wrong. :( My gf was crying so much when she heard the news about the operation and saw the pic the shelter posted on their FB :( She looks so sad :(

dsc_4242mhcsq.png
Look on the bright side. Consider how much her life is about to change for the better. She'll bounce back from that.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Man. Not sure if this is the right place for this but I'm in a bad place right now.

Two years ago, my cat tore both ACLs in her legs. It was a freak, random accident. We just came home one day and she was dragged her legs on the floor. We were told it was going to be $3,000 per leg for the surgery so we decided to just roll the dice and see if they could get better in time. She had some meds and made a semi full recovery. She was confined to a room and gradually started exploring the house again, running, jumping, etc.

On Dec 26, she was startled by a person entering a room and she jumped off a desk. Immediately something was very wrong. She growled and painfully cried loudly. She hide behind the couch. I managed to get a vet appointment that day and we took her to the same one we took her to before with the ACLs. They didn't really tell me much (something about an ankle) and didn't do an x-ray (which I thought was weird). They gave me pretty much the same medicine from before with the ACL and we took her home (no cast, splint, nothing). I've been regretting this interaction since the vet. I should have been a lot more proactive in talking treatment.
It's her left leg or ankle. She can't put any pressure on it without intense pain and crying/hissing. I've been giving her pain pills and the joint supplements all week. She seemed to be getting a little better. She could stand up (sometimes) and not hiss in pain.

I finally decided to sleep in the same room with her tonight and it brought me crashing back down to earth. She would yelp/hiss out in pain every 5-30 minutes when she tried to move (cleaning herself or moving up and down the bed). I ended up moving back downstairs now since the painful cries are too much for me (and feel really bad about it since she's been up there alone for like 20+ hours a day for 6 days so far). She's mostly been sleeping on my bed for the past three days in the same spot. I'm glad since she hasn't been moving a lot.

I'm probably going to begrudgingly take her back to the vet on Wednesday if I can. It's very traumatic taking her to the vet since she's so distressed and it takes a toll on me mentally but I'm not sure what else to do. She seems to be in a lot of pain still. Even more so (that I remember) than when she tore the ACLs.

Do any of you guys have any advice with broken/sprained limbs with cats (at least this is what I'm guessing it is since the vet didn't say shit)? Does the pain go away relatively quickly? Or am I just being paranoid and it'll go away in another week or so?

If I have to put her down due to some freak accident, I'll probably break. Lol. I love this cat so much and it's absolutely destroying me that she's in so much pain. When I walk into the room to greet her, she replies with one of the most defeated, pitiful meows I've heard from her. It's like a dagger to the heart. I was hoping it would heal itself but an entire week (almost) in constant pain just seems wrong to me. She can get up and move but is in a ridiculous amount of pain when she does. She goes to the litter box overnight when I check on her in the morning so she can still move around. She just stumbles when she does.

It's honestly killing me. I've barely slept I've been so worried since last Wednesday. I'm just imagining her being upstairs in pain and I'm too much of a coward to stay up there with her since her cries are like knifes running through my chest.
Xyer It's been 6 days. Is there an update to this story? Has she been to see a new and hopefully better vet?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Unlike Weltall Im still pro two kitten. Especially at very young age they need an equal playmate, while dogs and cats get along super, the thing is that cats and dogs play very differently. This might as well lead to tensions, with two cats your kitty would still have a playmate even if the dogs dont feel like it or cant fill the role because their understanding of playing is entirely different from the kittens.

Oh, absolutely; two kittens is optimal. It's just that, well, one kitten and dogs is much less of an absolute no-no than a lone kitten by itself.

Thanks a lot again for all the advice you give in this thread. I really appreciate it a lot, especially now that I'm a bit busier. :)

For whatever help this is, this looks more "sleepy" (probably from the anesthesia) than "sad" to me, although it's hard to say without seeing her eyes. Cats are incredibly tough and you're about to make her super loved and happy, so focus on that. ;)

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Posted this in some random pet stories thread, but since that kind of died - and since it's kind of crazy story that involved my cat - I figured I'd repost it in this very cool thread that I had no idea existed.

This happened back in September, when it had finally gotten a bit cooler outside. One Friday when I came home from work, I opened my windows to let my apartment air out for the first time in forever (I have screens, of course). Later on in the evening, I was eating some food in the living room and my cat was in the kitchen doing whatever. I had a small paper bag next to my work bag though, and my cat must have somehow gotten his head stuck in the paper handle of that bag. He proceeded to freak out, and sprint across my apartment. It barely registered with me at first, but he ran to my bedroom and then must have tried jumping against the wall. Only where he jumped was exactly the center of the window screen, and he went straight through (mind you, I'm on the fourth floor of a nyc apartment building). It again took me a minute to realize what had happened, and then an incredible sense of dread and terror set in immediately.

Needless to say, I ran downstairs (thinking the worst) and found him meowing in the back alleyway of my building. He was obviously in shock and tons of pain, and was bleeding pretty badly. And amazingly still had that fucking bag around his neck. Eventually I managed to get a hold of him (since he ran away from me at first - again, I'd imagine the fear instinct), and brought him to a emergency clinic. After a very tough weekend (I was still just assuming the worst, even after I found him alive outside), it turned out that there were no internal injuries, and the only external injury was a compound fracture in his rear leg. So, one splint and about 8 weeks later, he is perfectly fine, healthy, and happy. Was a pretty tough ride, but I'm still just incredibly thankful and lucky that things turned out the way they did.

I guess the lesson is though, if you have a cat that is curious, keep any sort of bag out of reach. It was something I normally did with plastic bags and the such., but didn't even realize that a head could fit through such a small paper loop of that paper bag.

Your cats are super beautiful!
But... he went through the window screen? O_o

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Beautiful thread.
Here go some semi-random pictures of our two cats: Audrey (female, 3.5 years, slightly overweight) and Altair (male, 1.5 years, the black one).

9MdT3kh.jpg

9yFU0sq.jpg

js1jnzx.jpg

We have been recently conducting some exams on Audrey to discard a possible neurologic problem, as she has been quivering a bit during her sleep. Toxoplasmosis, cardiopathies and parasites have already been discarded.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017

Shiro loves bags, currently he has two paper bags laying around. Just make sure to cut off the handles and dont use plastic.

We also live 4th floor and my family calls me crazy for reinforcing window screen with mesh, but I dont want them to tumble down 4 floors (which equal 6 because its a very old building).

Kaji AF16 have you done a CT? It could be that those are caused by leftover damage from a stroke.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Beautiful thread.
Here go some semi-random pictures of our two cats: Audrey (female, 3.5 years, slightly overweight) and Altair (male, 1.5 years, the black one).

9MdT3kh.jpg

9yFU0sq.jpg

js1jnzx.jpg

We have been recently conducting some exams on Audrey to discard a possible neurologic problem, as she has been quivering a bit during her sleep. Toxoplasmosis, cardiopathies and parasites have already been discarded.

Beautiful stuff. Audrey is camera shy, I see. :D (if you find or take a pic of Audrey's face, be sure to post it :) ).
In the second photo her coat almost seems abyssinian, but I'm guessing she's a tortoiseshell from the first pic, right?

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Kaji AF16 have you done a CT? It could be that those are caused by leftover damage from a stroke.
Not yet, we´re about to. Vets did find she has a very slight cardiomegaly (enlarged heart), but dismissed that according to her symptoms. Thanks for the data, we are researching as much as we can.

Audrey is camera shy, I see.
Not so much. She is rather insolent.

In the second photo her coat almost seems abyssinian, but I'm guessing she's a tortoiseshell from the first pic, right?
We don´t know the definition of her coat. She´s usually, and informally, refered to as a tri-color mixed breed, with shades of orange over a grey base.

Vintage Audrey:

wnI1Teb.jpg

fWVhvLW.jpg

G2cNVjk.jpg

v7j9U1s.jpg

Current Audrey:

4t5GZAk.jpg

7hIzXgi.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Your cats are super beautiful!
But... he went through the window screen? O_o

Thanks! And yep, straight through. I'll get a picture this week when it's daylight, as I still haven't replaced that window's screen and the hole is pretty big.

Shiro loves bags, currently he has two paper bags laying around. Just make sure to cut off the handles and dont use plastic.

We also live 4th floor and my family calls me crazy for reinforcing window screen with mesh, but I dont want them to tumble down 4 floors (which equal 6 because its a very old building).

Yep, mine love those paper bags as well, so I've also been just cutting the handles off. And definitely take it from me, I entirely understand about reinforcing the windows, hah.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Xyer It's been 6 days. Is there an update to this story? Has she been to see a new and hopefully better vet?

Yes. I've taken her to two different vets. Both have given the diagnosis of a re-tear of the ACL. Both were helpful and one gave her an antibiotic and supplement shot (now I don't have to shove a dropper down her throat every day for medicine). Both gave the option of surgery but recommended it as a last resort for now. One vet suggested we do ligament injections every Mon/Thursday for four weeks to see if it'll help. I'm still not quite sure what they are but apparently it'll help encourage build up quicker around the ligaments and the bone so it can build cartilage faster for recovery. We just did the second one yesterday. Things seem to be improving. She's started walking (very, very slowly), eating hard food again and the pain appears to be starting to go away, which has been a huge relief for me. My goal right now has been to make her as comfortable as possible and encourage as little movement as possible. Both vets suggested she be put in a cage to prevent movement but I've still kept her in my (pretty flat) room. It's more comfortable and there's really nowhere for her to jump. She mostly just sits in a handful of spots all day around the room and rotates around.

I'll go with this one vet's recommendation at the the end of the month for surgery if these injections don't help. He said it's going to probably be $5,000 to $7,000 and it would be at an animal hospital in Pittsburgh (so about an hour and a half drive). So that will be fun if it comes to that. Lol. I can't imagine having her in the car for that long in a cage. She'd probably have a heart attack or eat through the bars on the cage.

We've been told to try to put her on a diet after she (hopefully) heals up to help put less strain on the ligaments. She's about 12 pounds right now and they suggested 10 pounds. I can't do anything about that right now except monitor her food portions but she's not moving around right now. I bought a laser pointer for when that time comes. That's what one of the assistants suggested.

Things have been slightly improving. My biggest concern is still her being alone. I work 10 hours a day so it's tough to be there a lot of the time. I've tried the cat music or cat TV stuff on YouTube but she doesn't seem to be very interested in them. Lol.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yes. I've taken her to two different vets. Both have given the diagnosis of a re-tear of the ACL. Both were helpful and one gave her an antibiotic and supplement shot (now I don't have to shove a dropper down her throat every day for medicine). Both gave the option of surgery but recommended it as a last resort for now. One vet suggested we do ligament injections every Mon/Thursday for four weeks to see if it'll help. I'm still not quite sure what they are but apparently it'll help encourage build up quicker around the ligaments and the bone so it can build cartilage faster for recovery. We just did the second one yesterday. Things seem to be improving. She's started walking (very, very slowly), eating hard food again and the pain appears to be starting to go away, which has been a huge relief for me. My goal right now has been to make her as comfortable as possible and encourage as little movement as possible. Both vets suggested she be put in a cage to prevent movement but I've still kept her in my (pretty flat) room. It's more comfortable and there's really nowhere for her to jump. She mostly just sits in a handful of spots all day around the room and rotates around.

I'll go with this one vet's recommendation at the the end of the month for surgery if these injections don't help. He said it's going to probably be $5,000 to $7,000 and it would be at an animal hospital in Pittsburgh (so about an hour and a half drive). So that will be fun if it comes to that. Lol. I can't imagine having her in the car for that long in a cage. She'd probably have a heart attack or eat through the bars on the cage.

We've been told to try to put her on a diet after she (hopefully) heals up to help put less strain on the ligaments. She's about 12 pounds right now and they suggested 10 pounds. I can't do anything about that right now except monitor her food portions but she's not moving around right now. I bought a laser pointer for when that time comes. That's what one of the assistants suggested.

Things have been slightly improving. My biggest concern is still her being alone. I work 10 hours a day so it's tough to be there a lot of the time. I've tried the cat music or cat TV stuff on YouTube but she doesn't seem to be very interested in them. Lol.

Thank you for the update. I'm sorry for snapping at you earlier, it's obvious you love her very much. Really hoping she recovers as quickly as possible, and glad to hear the pain at least seems to be receding, poor thing. :(

12 pounds is not a lot for a cat, I'm frankly surprised they're asking you to take her down to 10 unless she's quite small. I guess it depends on size and how much of it is muscle; Yami, one of our cats, weights a whopping 7 kg (15.5 pounds), but it's mostly muscle.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Fantastic update, thanks for sharing. That all sounds very optimistic, though let's hope surgery ends up not being needed. IMO leaving a cat in a cage like the vet recommends is a bit cruel, but I see their point about giving the leg complete rest. Hopefully if all she does is walk a bit she'll know her own limits. If there is anything to jump on or off in the room, maybe fashion some crude steps with whatever books or cat furniture are laying around to help. You may want to consider their cage advice though especially while you're not there to watch her, just because if she does damage it again that could result in surgery being a requirement instead of a maybe, and that's a lot of money.

Also I recommend some soft cat treats to squeeze a pill into. We give that same cat daily pills and she happily takes them that way. Add a few drops of water and mash the pill into the treat, nice and easy.

Please keep us posted, and thanks again.

EDIT: I agree with Weltall that 12 pounds isn't really fat, but of course 10 pounds is healthier, and with her tendency to injure the leg less weight would probably only help her long term health, so I can see why the vet suggests it. Plus they don't want to see a trend of her going to 13, 14, 15.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
My room has been completely remade for her to sit in. There's literally nothing for her to jump on anymore. The mattress/boxspring is in the closet (I'll bring the mattress back out once she's improved a little more; it's still a slight hop from ground to mattress) and the room has been littered with blankets and cardboard boxes for her to sit in. I've got a mattress pad sitting around there, too. She rotates between the two boxes (a giant cardboard box I found in the basement and a large "cave" type box she can crawl into), the mattress pad and a bunch of blankets with some pillows stuffed under them.

The litter box is a little awkward to get into (the walls are normal size so she has to step over them). I've also set up a cookie sheet with litter on it so she can go on that if she wants (no walls or anything). It's about 50/50 usage between the two. She luckily hasn't gone to the bathroom anywhere in the room except the litter boxes so far. Fingers crossed.

I've read you can set up a tent in a room with a litter box in it and that's what a lot of people do with cats for ACL tears so they don't move but I still feel that's too little space and she would probably feel trapped inside a zipped up tent.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
My room has been completely remade for her to sit in. There's literally nothing for her to jump on anymore. The mattress/boxspring is in the closet (I'll bring the mattress back out once she's improved a little more; it's still a slight hop from ground to mattress) and the room has been littered with blankets and cardboard boxes for her to sit in. I've got a mattress pad sitting around there, too. She rotates between the two boxes (a giant cardboard box I found in the basement and a large "cave" type box she can crawl into), the mattress pad and a bunch of blankets with some pillows stuffed under them.

The litter box is a little awkward to get into (the walls are normal size so she has to step over them). I've also set up a cookie sheet with litter on it so she can go on that if she wants (no walls or anything). It's about 50/50 usage between the two. She luckily hasn't gone to the bathroom anywhere in the room except the litter boxes so far. Fingers crossed.

I've read you can set up a tent in a room with a litter box in it and that's what a lot of people do with cats for ACL tears so they don't move but I still feel that's too little space and she would probably feel trapped inside a zipped up tent.
That all sounds great. Maybe you could put a few thick books or something in front of the main litter to make steps, so it's easier to get up and in. Maybe also get one of those cheap plastic trays meant for less frequent litter use, which aren't as tall as normal litter boxes. That may be more preferable to her than a cookie sheet.

I get what you're saying about the room layout. Maybe it helps her that she can move around and build some strength without risking jumping, and maybe that's for the best. I just wonder if there's a case to be made for more enforced rest, i.e. the cage solution the vet mentioned, if only because anything that could minimize your chances of spending $5K+ is probably worth the short term inconvenience. It's a tough call.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldnt worry too much about 1 1/2 hour travel time in a box. That's not really long. Ours by choice sleep as long in theirs during the day, just get yours used to it and done. (Feeding in the cage etc)

Your cat was an ordinary street cat right? 5,4 kg is a lot for those. (Not for a Main Coon mix) Might also indicate that he was already avoiding movement, which lead to weight gain. What kind of food do you feed? Dry food/kibbles has more calories than wet food. So cutting short on that and increasing the amount of wet food can already help. Instead of kibbles try dry mest stripes chicken or something for cats. They are low calories, good for teeth and they love them. (If you dont feed them too regulary you could also use dog ones)

The recommendation to keep her in a box is not idd, often made in such situations. I understand that it breaks your heart at the thought of that.

Did you solve the payment problem yet?

Thank you for the update. I'm sorry for snapping at you earlier, it's obvious you love her very much. Really hoping she recovers as quickly as possible, and glad to hear the pain at least seems to be receding, poor thing. :(

12 pounds is not a lot for a cat, I'm frankly surprised they're asking you to take her down to 10 unless she's quite small. I guess it depends on size and how much of it is muscle; Yami, one of our cats, weights a whopping 7 kg (15.5 pounds), but it's mostly muscle.
4,5 kg seems very ambitionated to me too, but the rule of thumb is usually 5 kg for a EKH. (We are down from 5,2 to 4,8 and im happy with it.)

Main Coon go up to 8kg, i have heard of cats with whooping 12, but i guess those must count as obese.

sajph

Oct 31, 2017
Love the thread, here are my little chickens!:

This is Lexie, she passed away last year. I found her in a shelter where nobody seemed to take her home. She was such an amazing cat. She's always been a cat that needed a lot of care. We were so close, we were inseparable. I miss her so unbelievably much. She couldn't make normal cat sounds, and meowed with the sound of a t-rex, hence her nickname: T-Lex.
yy6WteP.png

Izzie is the smart one, super cuddly as well. She knows how to open cabinets and drawers to steal snacks. She's playful, mischievous and odd. I always wake up to find her snuggled up against me. She too was unwanted because of a small umbilical fracture. Everyones loss, because she's the perfect cat.
Wqvc4Ok.png

Bowie is the chatty one. On average she follows you all day chatting your head off. A farmer needed to get "rid" of her at 5 weeks. Even though I tried to make her stay there longer, he wouldnt have it. So out of fear of the alternative, I took her home. She's super cute, squeeky and the moment I lie down, she's on my legs.
xosqp3w.png

Evie is the diva, she knows she's a beauty. She sighs when something doesn't go her way and won't take no for an answer. She bites me (softly most of the time) when I don't pet her enough. I am truly her employee. She is enamoured with my boyfriend. She doesn't bite him (often) and cuddles with him every moment she can.
DIs5Mhg.png

I loved all the cats on this thread, thanks for reading, hope you enjoy these weirdo's.

Snazz

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
There was a dead rat on my drive this morning, frozen solid. My lucky Snapchat friends were treated to a picture of it around breakfast time. The rat was at least 80% the size of my cat, I don't know how she managed it.

Normally when she leaves mice and rabbits they're most eaten, but this rat was just dead with no visible destruction. Maybe killing it really took it out of her, or something? Either way, RIP rat. Oh and thanks Phoebe.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Love the thread, here are my little chickens!:

This is Lexie, she passed away last year. I found her in a shelter where nobody seemed to take her home. She was such an amazing cat. She's always been a cat that needed a lot of care. We were so close, we were inseparable. I miss her so unbelievably much. She couldn't make normal cat sounds, and meowed with the sound of a t-rex, hence her nickname: T-Lex.
yy6WteP.png

Izzie is the smart one, super cuddly as well. She knows how to open cabinets and drawers to steal snacks. She's playful, mischievous and odd. I always wake up to find her snuggled up against me. She too was unwanted because of a small umbilical fracture. Everyones loss, because she's the perfect cat.
Wqvc4Ok.png

Bowie is the chatty one. On average she follows you all day chatting your head off. A farmer needed to get "rid" of her at 5 weeks. Even though I tried to make her stay there longer, he wouldnt have it. So out of fear of the alternative, I took her home. She's super cute, squeeky and the moment I lie down, she's on my legs.
xosqp3w.png

Evie is the diva, she knows she's a beauty. She sighs when something doesn't go her way and won't take no for an answer. She bites me (softly most of the time) when I don't pet her enough. I am truly her employee. She is enamoured with my boyfriend. She doesn't bite him (often) and cuddles with him every moment she can.
DIs5Mhg.png

I loved all the cats on this thread, thanks for reading, hope you enjoy these weirdo's.

Beautiful stuff, thanks for sharing! My condolences for Lexie.

"... but cats are aloof and independent!". :P

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UPDATE time again:

We finally got the shelter cat (we named her Sylvi) home yesterday evening and she's incredibly scared at the moment. Ever since she got here she's been hiding behind the washing machine (at first), then she ran into our bedroom and hid under the bed. Today I was able to coax her from under the bed and lifted her up and put her in the litter box since she hadn't peed at all. She peed in the litter box but immediately skittered under the bed again. I was able to put some food right up infront of her and she ate the kibble and did eat some wet food when I put it on a plate and slid it under the bed. She hasn't touched her water yet though. Hopefully she gets a bit more confident tomorrow.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
UPDATE time again:

We finally got the shelter cat (we named her Sylvi) home yesterday evening and she's incredibly scared at the moment. Ever since she got here she's been hiding behind the washing machine (at first), then she ran into our bedroom and hid under the bed. Today I was able to coax her from under the bed and lifted her up and put her in the litter box since she hadn't peed at all. She peed in the litter box but immediately skittered under the bed again. I was able to put some food right up infront of her and she ate the kibble and did eat some wet food when I put it on a plate and slid it under the bed. She hasn't touched her water yet though. Hopefully she gets a bit more confident tomorrow.

You'll have to be patient. The best thing you can do is stay in the same room, paying her no mind. Let her get used to your presence and voices; eventually curiosity will get the best of her. :)

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'll have to be patient. The best thing you can do is stay in the same room, paying her no mind. Let her get used to your presence and voices; eventually curiosity will get the best of her. :)
Hopefully. She doesn't mind us petting her though, she has come up to my hand and started to snuggle it and she has rolled over on to her back a few times for a belly rub, but just doesn't come out from under the bed at all :( But yeah, she's been here for about 28 hours only so not that surprising I'm guessing.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hopefully. She doesn't mind us petting her though, she has come up to my hand and started to snuggle it and she has rolled over on to her back a few times for a belly rub, but just doesn't come out from under the bed at all :( But yeah, she's been here for about 28 hours only so not that surprising I'm guessing.

That's frankly amazing for just a day. Poor thing must be starving for some companionship. In a couple weeks you'll probably have her sleeping with you.

BZdSgCm.jpg

My two bundles of joys: Simba and Luna.

Both were strays that we rescued.

Super beautiful, and lovely photo. :) Do you have more pics?

uzipukki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Update again! She came from under the bed to eat just now. My GF was gonna go to bed and we decided to check how she's doing under there and she came up to us and just walked from under the bed, straight on to her food bowl and gobbled it up. She then walked and looked around our bedroom and the small hallway that goes into the next room (the door is closed so she didn't walk out). Awww. She's so freaking cute.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought I would share this with CatEra -- I have 4 rescue cats ... As in rescued I personally rescued them (one lost a leg in a rat trap, two were in a storm drain, etc). It's been a really rough and isolating year. Without them, I dunno if I would have made it. I guess they saved me, too. But, I wanted to share a new anime that's out. I don't really watch much anime any more, but check out the synopsis:

The story of Mikazuki Subaru, a novelist who is shy and struggles in relationships with other people, and a cat who was dumped by humans and lived a tough life on the streets. Through a twist of fate, the two of them end up living together. This heartwarming tale illustrates day-to-day life through the eyes of both man and cat. These moments seem trivial, but as they build upon themselves, the two become family and find happiness in their life together.

The first episode really resonated with me. If anyone wants to check it out on Crunchyroll, I have some full access guest passes - just msg me.

Here's the OP:

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I thought I would share this with CatEra -- I have 4 rescue cats ... As in rescued I personally rescued them (one lost a leg in a rat trap, two were in a storm drain, etc). It's been a really rough and isolating year. Without them, I dunno if I would have made it. I guess they saved me, too. But, I wanted to share a new anime that's out. I don't really watch much anime any more, but check out the synopsis:

The story of Mikazuki Subaru, a novelist who is shy and struggles in relationships with other people, and a cat who was dumped by humans and lived a tough life on the streets. Through a twist of fate, the two of them end up living together. This heartwarming tale illustrates day-to-day life through the eyes of both man and cat. These moments seem trivial, but as they build upon themselves, the two become family and find happiness in their life together.

The first episode really resonated with me. If anyone wants to check it out on Crunchyroll, I have some full access guest passes - just msg me.

Here's the OP:

Hahah, that's great. My SO is a super fan of Chi's Sweet Home, we have plushes and other merchandise.

I'd ask for one of these Crunchyroll passes, but I'm assuming the series doesn't have Spanish subtitles, right? Since she can't read much of English.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hahah, that's great. My SO is a super fan of Chi's Sweet Home, we have plushes and other merchandise.

I'd ask for one of these Crunchyroll passes, but I'm assuming the series doesn't have Spanish subtitles, right? Since she can't read much of English.

Chi is great for cat lovers! I have the books, they're hilarious. And, yes, you can change the language to Spanish in the app.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Chi is great for cat lovers! I have the books, they're hilarious. And, yes, you can change the language to Spanish in the app.

Ah, then I'll take one of the passes if you want. Thanks a lot!

Also thank you for rescuing these four cats. Do you have pics of them? If not, this thread is the perfect excuse to take some! :)

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the four of them on cat grass harvest day ... using the big bin to grow the grass makes sure they don't fight:

And, this is Galaxy -- my 3-legged cat ... he's been with me the longest:

34554182_10216106005905639_956644728995053568_o.jpg

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Here are a couple more photos:

nLgiUrI.jpg

NgtteuT.jpg

TDhq5WN.jpg

Forgot to comment on these, love them so much! I never tire of seeing pics of cats hugging each other. :)

Here's the four of them on cat grass harvest day ... using the big bin to grow the grass makes sure they don't fight:

And, this is Galaxy -- my 3-legged cat ... he's been with me the longest:

34554182_10216106005905639_956644728995053568_o.jpg

Look at these four beautiful ones eating in harmony like good siblings, so very lovely!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

I realise this is old now but a colleague sent me this and I've now spent my lunch break watching kitties freak out over cucumber. What's going on here, is the idea of something they don't recognise, that is mobile enough to sneak up on them while they are vulnerable, hitting at their 'ambush predator, I am Batman' ego or something?

When I had cats they didn't need salad vegetables, they regularly lost their shit over nothing at all. Or maybe it was something...
/Cue x-files music

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I personally think they parse it as a snake, which is frankly a pretty good reason to freak out. There aren't that many things in nature that are tubular, green, shiny and not stuck to the ground. :D

Also people, please don't do this to your cats, they get stressed the same as we do. :)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I personally think they parse it as a snake, which is frankly a pretty good reason to freak out. There aren't that many things in nature that are tubular, green, shiny and not stuck to the ground. :D

Also people, please don't do this to your cats, they get stressed the same as we do. :)
Yeah I agree (both on snakes and not frightening the kitties) :-)

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That instinct 'ejector seat' is amazing though, jump straight up, 360 degree spin and wall-bounce!

I never get tired of seeing cats wall-jump. The smallest (physically, not age) one we have is a loose cannon (and a food thief, but that's another matter), and anytime she starts running in the hallway she does this. It amazes me that they can process the motions needed to jump against the wall, spin in midair to have their legs oriented towards it, walk or bounce off it, and spin again to land and use that momentum on the ground, all in a fraction of a second. I know it's instinctive and not consciously calculated, but that's still a lot of hard-wired computing power!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'd like to say it's because only small things can creep up on cats, but I have years of experience to the contrary.
Once my old Border Collie snuck up on one of my cats while it was fixated on a bird outside the window, and softly ran his teeth over the cats tail (they used to cuddle and wash each other all the time). The cat was so fixated that it almost hit the ceiling!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I never get tired of seeing cats wall-jump. The smallest (physically, not age) one we have is a loose cannon (and a food thief, but that's another matter), and anytime she starts running in the hallway she does this. It amazes me that they can process the motions needed to jump against the wall, spin in midair to have their legs oriented towards it, walk or bounce off it, and spin again to land and use that momentum on the ground, all in a fraction of a second. I know it's instinctive and not consciously calculated, but that's still a lot of hard-wired computing power!
Presumably totally broken according to Tierzoo, they skip several animation frames :D