• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'd like to say it's because only small things can creep up on cats, but I have years of experience to the contrary.

An elephant could creep on some of my cats when they're sleeping completely relaxed, which is often.

Presumably totally broken according to Tierzoo, they skip several animation frames :D

Hahaha, surely!
(the only thing I dislike about Tierzoo is how biased and blatantly misinformed his cats vs dogs video was. I get it, you're a dog person, you don't need to smear cats' reputation and spread fear-mongering exaggerations and straight up lies about toxoplasmosis).

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Once my old Border Collie snuck up on one of my cats while it was fixated on a bird outside the window, and softly ran his teeth over the cats tail (they used to cuddle and wash each other all the time). The cat was so fixated that it almost hit the ceiling!
I can picture it :D

An elephant could creep on some of my cats when they're sleeping completely relaxed, which is often.
I belly rubbed my mate's sleeping cat the other day and she opened her eyes before her eyeballs rolled back into their normal position from somewhere near her ears and then freaked out at my freakout. Bizarre creatures.

Presumably totally broken according to Tierzoo, they skip several animation frames :D
lmao. All points into that evade move.

Oct 29, 2017
So my cat injured his rear right leg at some point and has been limping. I took him to the vet (which, did not go well, probably set his healing back a bit since he fought the guy the whole time). The vet said that he could knock him out and do x-rays but his recommendation was to cage him and limit his movement for at least two weeks. Unfortunately, my cat is an escape artist and our solutions for limiting his movement kept failing for about 2 weeks. (Long story but we didnt want to use an actual cage because when we transport him in a carrier he chews on the metal bars and we were afraid of him injuring his teeth if we left him in an actual cage) or so until I got a closed in tent/pen that seems to hold him. Hes been in this pen full time for about a week.

Its been about 3 weeks since he went to the vet and only 1 since hes been totally confined and he still limps. I called the vet to just to run the whole scenario by them and see what they thought. They said again that he has to be totally confined for two continuous weeks. So its all well and good but my concern is it healing improperly if its a bone fracture. The vet said that if I really wanted they would take him in and drug him for X-rays but there is a financial consideration too since I was quoted anywhere from $800-$1100 for the whole shebang of x-rays/meds/splint or whatever.

Im inclined to go with the vets orders still (the money being the biggest reason why. If the x-rays were cheaper, I would have already had them done) but Ive come across vets that seem to just half ass their jobs and maybe he doesnt want to deal with my hellcat.

Sorry for the rant, but what would you guys do in my scenario? I can free up the money but my GF thinks I am just overthinking this whole deal and we should keep him in the tent.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
So my cat injured his rear right leg at some point and has been limping. I took him to the vet (which, did not go well, probably set his healing back a bit since he fought the guy the whole time). The vet said that he could knock him out and do x-rays but his recommendation was to cage him and limit his movement for at least two weeks. Unfortunately, my cat is an escape artist and our solutions for limiting his movement kept failing for about 2 weeks. (Long story but we didnt want to use an actual cage because when we transport him in a carrier he chews on the metal bars and we were afraid of him injuring his teeth if we left him in an actual cage) or so until I got a closed in tent/pen that seems to hold him. Hes been in this pen full time for about a week.

Its been about 3 weeks since he went to the vet and only 1 since hes been totally confined and he still limps. I called the vet to just to run the whole scenario by them and see what they thought. They said again that he has to be totally confined for two continuous weeks. So its all well and good but my concern is it healing improperly if its a bone fracture. The vet said that if I really wanted they would take him in and drug him for X-rays but there is a financial consideration too since I was quoted anywhere from $800-$1100 for the whole shebang of x-rays/meds/splint or whatever.

Im inclined to go with the vets orders still (the money being the biggest reason why. If the x-rays were cheaper, I would have already had them done) but Ive come across vets that seem to just half ass their jobs and maybe he doesnt want to deal with my hellcat.

Sorry for the rant, but what would you guys do in my scenario? I can free up the money but my GF thinks I am just overthinking this whole deal and we should keep him in the tent.
It sounds like you know you need a good vet and proper care, but you're not 100% about this particular vet. It seems like a second opinion would help you decide. Have you used this vet for long, and do you trust them? If not, you should probably check message boards for your area, Yelp reviews etc., for local vets including the one you used. Some testing definitely sounds warranted, and that should only be a fraction of that quote. Do that, and go from there. At least you'll be more informed then and it could make a huge difference for the cats short term pain and long term health. Af ew hundred bucks compared to that is negligible.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I belly rubbed my mate's sleeping cat the other day and she opened her eyes before her eyeballs rolled back into their normal position from somewhere near her ears and then freaked out at my freakout. Bizarre creatures.

That's probably not their eyes rolling forward but their "third eyelids" (google it :) ) rolling back.

That quote sounds insane to me for a sedation / x-ray / splint, but it might just be that vet prices are just that much cheaper here in Spain. I wouldn't expect to pay more than 200€ for the whole deal.

I was already going to suggest contacting other vets even before you voiced your concerns about your current one, so let me double down on that advice. See if they can give you a quote on the phone for sedation and splint before actually having to physically carry your cat to each one; even if they will probably insist that they need to see the cat before giving you an accurate quote, you can ask for general prices.

Oct 29, 2017
It sounds like you know you need a good vet and proper care, but you're not 100% about this particular vet. It seems like a second opinion would help you decide. Have you used this vet for long, and do you trust them? If not, you should probably check message boards for your area, Yelp reviews etc., for local vets including the one you used. Some testing definitely sounds warranted, and that should only be a fraction of that quote. Do that, and go from there. At least you'll be more informed then and it could make a huge difference for the cats short term pain and long term health. Af ew hundred bucks compared to that is negligible.

I honestly do like this vet as he has been the first person to actually give my cat a proper inspection (all the other ones basically wouldnt touch him after he hissed at them). This guy actually did try but he stopped after it was obvious my cat wasnt going to cooperate and the vet didnt want to torture him or injure the leg further. Have you had x-rays done on your pet? If what I was quoted was high (again though, the quote wasnt just for x-rays) what is a realistic range I should be looking at?

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I honestly do like this vet as he has been the first person to actually give my cat a proper inspection (all the other ones basically wouldnt touch him after he hissed at them). This guy actually did try but he stopped after it was obvious my cat wasnt going to cooperate and the vet didnt want to torture him or injure the leg further. Have you had x-rays done on your pet? If what I was quoted was high (again though, the quote wasnt just for x-rays) what is a realistic range I should be looking at?

I asked my SO about the prices of our vet (which is an absolutely amazing vet and surgeon who saved more cats from the jaws of death that I can count; he's pretty much the Dr. House of veterinarians). She knows many prices off the top of her head not just because of all the cats we've taken there but also because she's worked with him as a vet assistant, including surgeries. She gave me these quotes:
Sedation: 20-30€
X-Ray: 40-60€
Splint: 50€
So... yeah. Either US prices (if that's where you live) are absolutely out of whack, Spain prices are extremelly cheap, or your vet is taking you for a ride.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I asked my SO about the prices of our vet (which is an absolutely amazing vet and surgeon who saved more cats from the jaws of death that I can count; he's pretty much the Dr. House of veterinarians). She knows many prices off the top of her head not just because of all the cats we've taken there but also because she's worked with him as a vet assistant, including surgeries. She gave me these quotes:
So... yeah. Either US prices (if that's where you live) are absolutely out of whack, Spain prices are extremelly cheap, or your vet is taking you for a ride.
Maybe an X-Ray is a little more here in the US? The rest is similar. Add another $50 for seeing the vet in the first place (those services you mention would be on top of that), plus likely some pain drugs, and a return visit. I'm just guessing, but I could see all of that included being about $500 easily. so $800+ seems high to me, but again I'm just guessing. Maybe that vet saw other things like a tooth or two needing work while sedated and that pumped up the bill? I would suggest they get an invoice estimate then ask another vet what they charge for the same items, and go from there.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Maybe an X-Ray is a little more here in the US? The rest is similar. Add another $50 for seeing the vet in the first place (those services you mention would be on top of that), plus likely some pain drugs, and a return visit. I'm just guessing, but I could see all of that included being about $500 easily. so $800+ seems high to me, but again I'm just guessing. Maybe that vet saw other things like a tooth or two needing work while sedated and that pumped up the bill? I would suggest they get an invoice estimate then ask another vet what they charge for the same items, and go from there.

My SO just messaged our vet, because (I didn't know this) it turns out he's studied in the US (among other countries). He told us in the US that would be about 500$ indeed. Not sure if that includes the follow up visits.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
HellforLeather

I had X-rays done on my cat last month and the X-rays plus checkup didn't cost more than 150 bucks. I think the exact price was 145 but I can't find the slip at the moment. I can't imagine that sedation and splinting is going to add THAT much more where you'll be hitting $800+

And I know this isn't a direct 1:1 comparison but I had to have that same cat sedated and euthanized at an expensive 24/7 ER vet that same day and it didn't cost more than 400 dollars.... And that included the cost of cremation/remains

800 to 1100 feels really steep

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
We are working with an extremly hungry cat at the moment, you know starving level, (apparently 50-70g per meal with 4 meals a day aren't enough (plus 1-4 pieces of additional snack)). And while we got him to stop growling at the other cat while eating (we feed them in seperate rooms, he also sometimes does not immidiantly run to the others bowl to lick it clean) he still guards the bowls and checks regulary.

We got him a gnawy snack that distracts him for a good 30 minutes as he plays with it while feeding the other one his pill. It's a dry meat one, that is available in small size for cats (with slightly more water content, redt is 1:1 same) but we got the dog food size for him to keep him busy. (We tried the small ones, they do eat them but they are not as popular and chewy and mostly are swallowed whole).

So the problem is, while playing with said food he runs around and growls at everything and everyone. On one hand I am happy he gets some movement, on the other I dont want him to growl at anyone. :(

He has a deep sleep, so yeah we could feed Shiro when Ryu is sleeping but we give him the pill in the morning and he's not always sleeping then.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
We are working with an extremly hungry cat at the moment, you know starving level, (apparently 50-70g per meal with 4 meals a day aren't enough (plus 1-4 pieces of additional snack)). And while we got him to stop growling at the other cat while eating (we feed them in seperate rooms, he also sometimes does not immidiantly run to the others bowl to lick it clean) he still guards the bowls and checks regulary.

We got him a gnawy snack that distracts him for a good 30 minutes as he plays with it while feeding the other one his pill. It's a dry meat one, that is available in small size for cats (with slightly more water content, redt is 1:1 same) but we got the dog food size for him to keep him busy. (We tried the small ones, they do eat them but they are not as popular and chewy and mostly are swallowed whole).

So the problem is, while playing with said food he runs around and growls at everything and everyone. On one hand I am happy he gets some movement, on the other I dont want him to growl at anyone. :(

He has a deep sleep, so yeah we could feed Shiro when Ryu is sleeping but we give him the pill in the morning and he's not always sleeping then.

How long has he been in your house?

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
How long has he been in your house?
Half a year approx. he's been like that ever he's on diet. It became better, and by better I mean he's not as desperately stealing our food anymore (we increased to 50-70 due to that) and actually slept during my birthday lunch we had with family coming over. We still lock him out after 3 times putting him down/on the cat tree didnt help, but in general it is getting somewhat better.

He's dominant but friendly towards Shiro. He licks him clean, cozy cuddles and even sandwiched him the other day. (Looked hilarious.) Shiro tolerated it at the beginning, now he even closes his eyes and continues sleeping while Ryu cleans him.

They are close, but Ryu turns really aggressive whenever it comes to food. He used to be a mall cat in Spain, I supposeit is to be expected, but I cant endless feed him as he gains weight unlike Shiro (who does not but now has to be limited by us as well as we dont want any additional food caused tensions between them).

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Half a year approx. he's been like that ever he's on diet. It became better, and by better I mean he's not as desperately stealing our food anymore (we increased to 50-70 due to that) and actually slept during my birthday lunch we had with family coming over. We still lock him out after 3 times putting him down/on the cat tree didnt help, but in general it is getting somewhat better.

He's dominant but friendly towards Shiro. He licks him clean, cozy cuddles and even sandwiched him the other day. (Looked hilarious.) Shiro tolerated it at the beginning, now he even closes his eyes and continues sleeping while Ryu cleans him.

They are close, but Ryu turns really aggressive whenever it comes to food. He used to be a mall cat in Spain, I supposeit is to be expected, but I cant endless feed him as he gains weight unlike Shiro (who does not but now has to be limited by us as well as we dont want any additional food caused tensions between them).

Six months is quite a bit. You know this is one of the few points where we disagree, I'm pro-dry food and pro-leaving access to food all the time to cats, which in this case would make the problem solve itself. Specifically I'd say restricted access to food is causing him stress, so I would weight (no pun intended) the advantages vs the disadvantages.

Oct 28, 2017
Six months is quite a bit. You know this is one of the few points where we disagree, I'm pro-dry food and pro-leaving access to food all the time to cats, which in this case would make the problem solve itself. Specifically I'd say restricted access to food is causing him stress, so I would weight (no pun intended) the advantages vs the disadvantages.
I did this and it worked until i got a second cat. Now i do three to four feedings a day at 1/4th a cup for each cat. Before the kitten i left a cup out per day and he ate as he pleased.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I did this and it worked until i got a second cat. Now i do three to four feedings a day at 1/4th a cup for each cat. Before the kitten i left a cup out per day and he ate as he pleased.

In my experience cats eat much more anxiously when they know food is limited, which can lead to a lot of other problems (typically vomiting). We have six cats and there's several food dispensers around the house; none are obese.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
He had access to wet food all the time, but he's a deaf inside cat and lazy as fuck.

He gained 1 kg within half a year, he'd eat 500-700 g a day (!). If I kept that up he'd be obese (he already was pretty chubby back then). 5,2 kg and barely got on the counter top avoided too much moving around. He did show first indicators of overweight.

Putting him on diet (which was vet adviced btw) was right, as he moves way more now that he lost weight and became more cuddly (with his pawtner) and everything... he's now down to 4,8 (before christmas).

I do recall that he did the growling with certain snacks even back then. Which is ridiculous because shiro would never steal food from him and each always gets their own.

Shiro could go with free wet food as he barely ate more than 300-400 gram and even then moved plenty. I'd love to return to unlimit their food access but it didnt work with ryu. :(

Shiro gained 0,1 kg during the same period when Ryu gained 1 kg. (And shiro actually could use some additional weight...)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
He had access to wet food all the time, but he's a deaf inside cat and lazy as fuck.

He gained 1 kg within half a year, he'd eat 500-700 g a day (!). If I kept that up he'd be obese (he already was pretty chubby back then). 5,2 kg and barely got on the counter top avoided too much moving around. He did show first indicators of overweight.

Putting him on diet (which was vet adviced btw) was right, as he moves way more now that he lost weight and became more cuddly (with his pawtner) and everything... he's now down to 4,8 (before christmas).

I do recall that he did the growling with certain snacks even back then. Which is ridiculous because shiro would never steal food from him and each always gets their own.

Shiro could go with free wet food as he barely ate more than 300-400 gram and even then moved plenty. I'd love to return to unlimit their food access but it didnt work with ryu. :(

Shiro gained 0,1 kg during the same period when Ryu gained 1 kg. (And shiro actually could use some additional weight...)

Yeah, I meant dry food. Having wet food available at all times is no good, especially because it smells a lot more and stimulates their appetite. But I know you prefer a mostly wet / BARF diet, which I respect.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi you guys, again!

I'm super sad at the moment. ☹️ Sylvi has been doing really great, she's been getting more and more inquisitive and has started to look around our apartment, today she ate in the kitchen (we've been slowly moving her bowl towards the spot where we want her bowl to be) and her litter box has been moved to the hallway from our bedroom, she used it last night, yay for her ❤️ But this morning was a bad one, we both had to leave for work. I had to leave earlier than my gf but she texted me after she had left that Sylvi had meowed for her when she was leaving 😭 I hope she's doing alright there, all alone. Fuck, I'm almost crying because I feel like she's gonna think we've abandoned her or something.😭😭😭😭

15922609-1-FD2-411-B-A6-B0-4-EAD9-CF51-E71.jpg

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
It always feels bad when those big kitty eyes are staring at you when you leave (and even worse when they call for you), but your cat will have to get used to it that you are both not going to be at home. It will get used to this situation.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Leave a lot of toys out and the radio on. It is what I do when I leave for work.

She will probably sleep the entire time you are gone.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hi you guys, again!

I'm super sad at the moment. ☹️ Sylvi has been doing really great, she's been getting more and more inquisitive and has started to look around our apartment, today she ate in the kitchen (we've been slowly moving her bowl towards the spot where we want her bowl to be) and her litter box has been moved to the hallway from our bedroom, she used it last night, yay for her ❤️ But this morning was a bad one, we both had to leave for work. I had to leave earlier than my gf but she texted me after she had left that Sylvi had meowed for her when she was leaving 😭 I hope she's doing alright there, all alone. Fuck, I'm almost crying because I feel like she's gonna think we've abandoned her or something.😭😭😭😭

15922609-1-FD2-411-B-A6-B0-4-EAD9-CF51-E71.jpg

My SO offers a service to care for cats when their owners are away. This is typically during vacations and such, but caring for an unwell cat while their owners have to work would be perfectly fine.

She stays for one hour and asks for 12€, cleans litter, gives food and medicines (she's a qualified vet assistant), plays with them, etc. She's not the only one doing this service in Madrid, there's quite a few others, which makes me think there will probably be people who do the exact same in your city. If you're interested in this, you can contact cat refuges, associations or cat cafes in your area to ask about it, as they usually know of reliable people, if not straight away offer the service themselves.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My SO offers a service to care for cats when their owners are away. This is typically during vacations and such, but caring for an unwell cat while their owners have to work would be perfectly fine.

She stays for one hour and asks for 12€, cleans litter, gives food and medicines (she's a qualified vet assistant), plays with them, etc. She's not the only one doing this service in Madrid, there's quite a few others, which makes me think there will probably be people who do the exact same in your city. If you're interested in this, you can contact cat refuges, associations or cat cafes in your area to ask about it, as they usually know of reliable people, if not straight away offer the service themselves.
It would get way too costly to have someone take care of her while we're working, plus we don't own a car so taking her to places is not easy when you're only using the bus. Also we live in a super small town in Finland so not sure how many people there are offering such a service. Maybe I should start one... Hmm. I'm sure she'll manage, but just breaks my heart to think that she's all alone and scared. She's the cat we got last wednesday from the cat shelter.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It would get way too costly to have someone take care of her while we're working, plus we don't own a car so taking her to places is not easy when you're only using the bus. Also we live in a super small town in Finland so not sure how many people there are offering such a service. Maybe I should start one... Hmm. I'm sure she'll manage, but just breaks my heart to think that she's all alone and scared. She's the cat we got last wednesday from the cat shelter.

Oh wait, I got you confused with one of the people whose cat was sick. Never mind then. She'll be fine, probably busy exploring the house anyway. You don't have other pets, right? That would make it better.

For completion's sake, the people who offer these services (including my SO) go to your own house, which is far better to avoid stress for the cat anyway, and their own travel fees are included in the price. People normally hire them for one hour a day, or every two days if short on cash.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
This is my first week since getting my cat that she's going to be alone. Had to go in two days last week, but she seemed to handle it well.

Ordered one of those motion detecting air sprayers. She's still climbing on counters, but other than that is still adapting well. She uses her litterbox and scratching post fine. Only thing she doesnt care for is the pet bed.

She has thrown up a few times. Nothing frequent, maybe once a week in the last few weeks. No other symptoms that I can tell. She runs, she plays, she eats, she drinks. Thinking of taking her to the vet if she does it again.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This is my first week since getting my cat that she's going to be alone. Had to go in two days last week, but she seemed to handle it well.

Ordered one of those motion detecting air sprayers. She's still climbing on counters, but other than that is still adapting well. She uses her litterbox and scratching post fine. Only thing she doesnt care for is the pet bed.

She has thrown up a few times. Nothing frequent, maybe once a week in the last few weeks. No other symptoms that I can tell. She runs, she plays, she eats, she drinks. Thinking of taking her to the vet if she does it again.

Did she throw up food, bile, or fur?

Oct 28, 2017
Girlfriend is moving in soon, and bringing her two cats with her.

I've never owned a cat before, and honestly have no idea what to expect. Her Pomeranian already stays at my house with my German Shepherd/Rottweiler and I, and get along quite well.

How do I cat-proof my house? Introduce my dog to cats? Avoid all my furniture getting wrecked? Anything else I should know?

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
One of my aunt's cats had kittens and she was looking for a home for them. I offered to take one of the kittens and she brought him over last Sunday. He turned 11 weeks old 2 days ago. He's so cute! His name is Binx.

D6VsJJL.jpg

L43eUfI.jpg

3vSEQgX.jpg

s95pwnC.jpg

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Its brownish and looks like food.

Some puking is relatively normal in some cats. If it's food, you might want to take a look at changing her diet. In particular try to avoid food that has cereals and other subproducts on it, go for dry foods that are as pure meat as possible. Some meats are also less likely to cause allergies; for example I believe ox is better for cats than chicken. I'll have to ask my SO more about this as she's the one that selects out cats' diet.

Girlfriend is moving in soon, and bringing her two cats with her.

I've never owned a cat before, and honestly have no idea what to expect. Her Pomeranian already stays at my house with my German Shepherd/Rottweiler and I, and get along quite well.

How do I cat-proof my house? Introduce my dog to cats? Avoid all my furniture getting wrecked? Anything else I should know?

If at all possible, get mosquito screens for the windows, or don't leave them open with them in the room. Cats are a bit lemming-like whenever they spot something interesting outside.
Cats have a tendency to scratch couches. You might want to buy a cheap cover for them so that it takes the brunt of the assault. Automated air sprays apparently work well too, although I never used one.
For introducing them, your dog will probably accept them right away. If they've grown up around another dog, it's probably going to be OK. Try to do it slowly, i.e. put them in different rooms and open the door a little, so that they can see and smell each other but not attack, and can retreat to a safe space if needed.

One of my aunt's cats had kittens and she was looking for a home for them. I offered to take one of the kittens and she brought him over last Sunday. He turned 11 weeks old 2 days ago. He's so cute! His name is Binx.

D6VsJJL.jpg

L43eUfI.jpg

3vSEQgX.jpg

s95pwnC.jpg

Man I could just eat him whole, so cute! :)

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
It always feels bad when those big kitty eyes are staring at you when you leave (and even worse when they call for you), but your cat will have to get used to it that you are both not going to be at home. It will get used to this situation.
Our cats cant hear us, but they see the light from the staircase and stand, frontpaws against the door, infront if it and try to make us come back. / welcome us

D6VsJJL.jpg

L43eUfI.jpg

3vSEQgX.jpg

s95pwnC.jpg
11 weeks old is way too young to be seperated from their mom. Kittens that age should not grow up without a furry friend. Can you bring him
Back till they turn 14 weeks and then take both cats? This will make your life easier in the long run.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Some puking is relatively normal in some cats. If it's food, you might want to take a look at changing her diet. In particular try to avoid food that has cereals and other subproducts on it, go for dry foods that are as pure meat as possible. Some meats are also less likely to cause allergies; for example I believe ox is better for cats than chicken. I'll have to ask my SO more about this as she's the one that selects out cats' diet.
(According to my wife) our cats have always thrown up, I think some cats are just more prone to overeating when food is always available to graze. It's quite distressing seeing Chloe (the skinner cat, who always used to be the chubbier one :( ) vomit, but she still eats otherwise. And she fucking loves roast chicken*!

*A little too much, actually. If I ever give her a little bit, it'll literally take a few days before she stops pestering me every time I'm in the kitchen. But at least she's eating :) I just wish there was a way we could get her to bulk up a little that doesn't involve her gorging and eventually throwing up. We tried some new food that is supposed to be a bit better than the current one (still grain free), but she would not even touch it :(

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
11 weeks old is way too young to be seperated from their mom. Kittens that age should not grow up without a furry friend. Can you bring him
Back till they turn 14 weeks and then take both cats? This will make your life easier in the long run.

By the time I first told her I'd take one from her if she was still looking for homes for the kittens and the time she brought him over all the other kitties were given homes so he was the only one left. I'm not sure if she'd be equipped to take him back. While not anywhere near his age my grey/white baby in the image with him has been being motherlike to him and they've been sleeping together and playing a bit, though not quite to his level since she's soon to be 12 years and he soon to be 12 weeks. Have been playing with him lots though and giving him all the attention he needs. I know he likes the big cat too since everytime she goes somewhere he likes to follow and observe and sometimes mimic her.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
By the time I first told her I'd take one from her if she was still looking for homes for the kittens and the time she brought him over all the other kitties were given homes so he was the only one left. I'm not sure if she'd be equipped to take him back. While not anywhere near his age my grey/white baby in the image with him has been being motherlike to him and they've been sleeping together and playing a bit, though not quite to his level since she's soon to be 12 years and he soon to be 12 weeks. Have been playing with him lots though and giving him all the attention he needs. I know he likes the big cat too since everytime she goes somewhere he likes to follow and observe and sometimes mimic her.
Maybe look around at local shelters, 12 year old and 11 weeks is just asking for tension. A second kitten would be a really good playmate, as the older one wont be as interested in his childish games.

That he has an older cat around is good for socialization.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Sounds good to me. That you have another cat will help a lot. The kitten may well keep your older cat healthier for longer too, as she'll probably be more active than if she were solo.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
so uh hey... if you guys ever need somebody to come around and hug/pet your cats, I'm always down for that.

there are so many sweet pure kitten pictures in this thread it hurts

edit: I'll post my cat in here later, I'd need to choose a nice pic out of about 3000

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hi cat era!
Our cat suddenly got interrested in going behind the TV and eating the cables... the little fucker managed to cut my optic sound cable in 2! What can we do to keep him from going there ?

Also when he goes there, he jumps on my ps4 pro... I don't think it'll hold much longer. I need your help :'(

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Why does Era stop notifying me of new posts in Etcetera threads I've subscribed to? And no, it's not because I ignored the first notification about this thread, I never got even one. :/

(According to my wife) our cats have always thrown up, I think some cats are just more prone to overeating when food is always available to graze. It's quite distressing seeing Chloe (the skinner cat, who always used to be the chubbier one :( ) vomit, but she still eats otherwise. And she fucking loves roast chicken*!

*A little too much, actually. If I ever give her a little bit, it'll literally take a few days before she stops pestering me every time I'm in the kitchen. But at least she's eating :) I just wish there was a way we could get her to bulk up a little that doesn't involve her gorging and eventually throwing up. We tried some new food that is supposed to be a bit better than the current one (still grain free), but she would not even touch it :(

There's treat dispenser toys that force the cat to play with to make the treats come out. This is a great way of both having the cat be more active and limiting the amount of food they can gobble at once.

Well that's "only" five times my rent, hahah. Beautiful cat, thought, reminds me of a majestic, lynx-like cat my SO used to have.

so uh hey... if you guys ever need somebody to come around and hug/pet your cats, I'm always down for that.

there are so many sweet pure kitten pictures in this thread it hurts

I'm down for that, only issue is that we literally could not live further apart without going into space (Spain here). :)

They are getting along.
VRjamTG_d.jpg

Can't get enough of these kinds of pics. You can't tell me they don't radiate pure peace.

Hi cat era!
Our cat suddenly got interrested in going behind the TV and eating the cables... the little fucker managed to cut my optic sound cable in 2! What can we do to keep him from going there ?

Also when he goes there, he jumps on my ps4 pro... I don't think it'll hold much longer. I need your help :'(

There's a couple of things you can do, but I haven't personally tried them as fortunately none of my cats have that habit.
- You can wrap the cables in sticky, double-sided tape. Cats hate sticky stuff so they won't mess around with them. Since there are cables you normally don't touch or fiddle with (as opposed to phone chargers, a frequent victim of cat chewing), this could work very well for you.
- Supposedly spraying the cables with lemon juice also makes them highly unpleasant for the cats to bite. I don't have a clue how much this lasts, though.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's a couple of things you can do, but I haven't personally tried them as fortunately none of my cats have that habit.
- You can wrap the cables in sticky, double-sided tape. Cats hate sticky stuff so they won't mess around with them. Since there are cables you normally don't touch or fiddle with (as opposed to phone chargers, a frequent victim of cat chewing), this could work very well for you.
- Supposedly spraying the cables with lemon juice also makes them highly unpleasant for the cats to bite. I don't have a clue how much this lasts, though.
Thanks ! I bought a cable from amazon basics which seems way more robust then the cable that I got with the soubdbar. We'll see.

Any idea on how I can make him not go there tho ? My main concern is the ps4 tbh.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks ! I bought a cable from amazon basics which seems way more robust then the cable that I got with the soubdbar. We'll see.

Any idea on how I can make him not go there tho ? My main concern is the ps4 tbh.

The double-sided sticky tape tip also works for surfaces; it will make it really unpleasant for him to walk on them. Put it over the surfaces he likes to jump or step on, including the PS4.

If that fails (it shouldn't), a more extreme solution you might want to try is ground pepper. Apparently cats hate the smell and won't get near the stuff; garden owners that don't want cats entering them sometimes use it to make a barrier around the garden. That said, smell travels, so it might make the whole living room unpleasant to him, so only risk doing this if the above fails.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The double-sided sticky tape tip also works for surfaces; it will make it really unpleasant for him to walk on them. Put it over the surfaces he likes to jump or step on, including the PS4.

If that fails (it shouldn't), a more extreme solution you might want to try is ground pepper. Apparently cats hate the smell and won't get near the stuff; garden owners that don't want cats entering them sometimes use it to make a barrier around the garden. That said, smell travels, so it might make the whole living room unpleasant to him, so only risk doing this if the above fails.
I've read just now that lemon and citrus is very unpleasant to cats, I'll try with that first since my GF and I love the smell.
Thanks for the help :)

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I've read just now that lemon and citrus is very unpleasant to cats, I'll try with that first since my GF and I love the smell.
Thanks for the help :)

Yeah, but the problem is the same as pepper: smell travels, which might make the entire living room unpleasant to him. Sticky tape is probably going to last more, and the feedback is more immediate and focused on the area you don't want him to access, which is better for negative reinforcement. Very soon he simply won't even try to step on it, and you can remove the tape, whereas with smells he'll notice if it's gone.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Why does Era stop notifying me of new posts in Etcetera threads I've subscribed to? And no, it's not because I ignored the first notification about this thread, I never got even one. :/
I'm sure it's part of their algorithm, to promote newer threads and discourage bumping of older threads. You probably still have such threads bolded if you look at your Watched Threads list, but they don't give an alert if it's been some amount of time since you last checked the thread, or maybe due to the rate of postings, something like that.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm sure it's part of their algorithm, to promote newer threads and discourage bumping of older threads.

Can't be that because I get notified of ancient Gaming threads whenever someone posts in them, while this relatively more recent one gets buried. Besides that, it would be beyond shitty to purposely not actually notify me about the damn threads I'm subscribed to.

Edit: I went nuclear and marked all the "don't summarize" and "don't mark as read" options. Let's see if that works or rather makes me crazy.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017

I found another vet that did the x-rays for $450. Unfortunately, the news isnt great. Looks like he has vascular necrosis in the femoral head of his hind legs. Before you google it, the vet said its fairly common in male cats where the bone stops getting blood and the bone starts to die making it brittle as hell. It looks like the femoral head might be broken in the right hand side. I scheduled surgery immediately ($1000! not as bad as I thought it was gonna be but not cheap still). He goes in next Tuesday.

Has anybody elses cat had this surgery? What should I expect afterwards? Im trying to do as much research as possible online but some personal stories would be welcome.