• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zellator

Sep 14, 2018
Most people just straight out put the cat in the same space as the others (so right out of the bat, you're doing it better). Our cats are exceedingly tame and are used to cats coming and going, so we've not had this behaviour, but it seems very normal to me. Cats identify each other by scent; until they get used to the new cat's scent, they're going to think "there's an intruder in the colony"; and if each other is the only cat they can see, it does make some sense they believe the scent belongs to the other. It's really weird for us humans to think of seeing someone and not quite recognizing them, but again, cats identify by scent, not sight.

My guess is that it should be perfectly OK. In a week or two they should have grown accustomed to the smell, at which point they should have stopped growling at each other (probable much sooner) and you can let Rayla out of the room.

Awesome! Thanks for the info, that's a huge relief.
It's my first time adapting a new cat, so it's been a wild ride!

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Awesome! Thanks for the info, that's a huge relief.
It's my first time adapting a new cat, so it's been a wild ride!

Just consulted with my quite expert SO just in case, she thinks the same, it's perfectly normal.

I had missed that your other two cats are also female. Female cats tend to be considerably more territorial, especially with each other, so that probably accounts for why they're kind of upset at each other too. Again, I don't think you should have a problem and it should solve itself in a week or two, but keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask anything else. :)

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Can CatEra pour one out for my boy Loki. My friend for 15 years who passed this morning.

Been scrolling through this thread looking at all the lovely cats and info within and remembering all the good times I had with him.
He had a good life and was loved by our entire family. Sad he's gone, but proud we gave him a great life. Give your cats an extra cuddle from us tonight. x

zAf9rFo.jpg
Oh no :( What a grand looking fellow he is too, looks like he knew what he loved and very sure of himself. Thanks for giving him his best life :)

Unfortunately Spain has gotten a very bad rep for animal abuse. There are some horrific stories out there. There are plenty of stories about greyhounds being used for hunting (they call them galgos) and then abandoning them or hanging them when no longer useful. Estimated 100K greyhounds per year killed. Fortunately there are more and more rescue operations stepping up to try and save as many as possible, but proper pet shelters in Spain are definitely needed.
Considering the amount of cats then end up going through pet shelters, a lack of this service would be horrible for many kitties as well.
Seriously, fuck the people who use greyhounds as disposable hunting dogs. Ugh.

Greyhounds were unfortunately "trendy" among low-education, nearly-delinquent youths ("canis", our equivalent of "chavs"; no relation to the latin for "dog" which might be confusing considering the context, it's just an abbreviation of "canijo", or "puny") a few years ago, for whatever stupid reason. Unsurprisingly most of them ended up abused or abandoned when they inevitably got tired of them.
Whereabouts are you from? The only times I've ever known greys to be essentially abandoned en-masse was the Spain situation above. Even sadder that it's happening elsewhere too :(

On a slightly lighter note, my wife and I have discovered that our cats do not apparently have an increased appetite, but our greyhound has been sneakily grazing on their food at night while we weren't looking! Even setting up chair barriers so only the cats can get to the food doesn't help, he just barges through. If anyone has any ideas on how to protect cat food from dogs (and it doesn't look hideous) I'd love to hear about it.
Such a shit, that dog. Then he does his hangdog expression and he gets away with it. Argh.

PS. For what it's worth, if people in this thread can't have/don't like cats, greyhounds are a more than suitable substitute. They may already even go with your current kitties! Adopt one (or two) today :)

Last edited:

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I had a dog and cat at the same time, and no amount of training was going to stop him from eating the cat's food. A separate room was the only way to keep the dog away from the cat's food. I ended up tying the bathroom door so that it only allowed enough space for the cat to enter but not the dog. Cat got fed in the bathroom. Getting a cat door would have worked too.

This obviously wouldn't work if the dog is a similar size as the cat. Other than that, I really don't know of any gadgets or tricks to keep the dog away.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Whereabouts are you from? The only times I've ever known greys to be essentially abandoned en-masse was the Spain situation above. Even sadder that it's happening elsewhere too :(

I'm from Spain myself, Madrid specifically. As mentioned in the OP, my SO's cat rescue / adoption service is called Mininos de Madrid. As you can imagine, she's never idle; we joke that she's like Astro City's Samaritan, in that she can't ever rest. :/

On a slightly lighter note, my wife and I have discovered that our cats do not apparently have an increased appetite, but our greyhound has been sneakily grazing on their food at night while we weren't looking! Even setting up chair barriers so only the cats can get to the food doesn't help, he just barges through. If anyone has any ideas on how to protect cat food from dogs (and it doesn't look hideous) I'd love to hear about it.
Such a shit, that dog. Then he does his hangdog expression and he gets away with it. Argh.

That's quite the conundrum! Greyhounds are so slender they can probably sneak in anywhere. I wonder if there's some kind of substance that dogs dislike but cat's don't mind that you could sprinkle around the food. I know of the things cats themselves don't like (citrus, pepper, etc.) but I don't know of the equivalent for dogs.

PS. For what it's worth, if people in this thread can't have/don't like cats, greyhounds are a more than suitable substitute. They may already even go with your current kitties! Adopt one (or two) today :)

I'm allergic to dogs, so that's a no-go for me, but I just thought of my best friend who's the opposite (allergic to cats, but not dogs). How do they handle smooth parquet floors?

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm allergic to dogs, so that's a no-go for me, but I just thought of my best friend who's the opposite (allergic to cats, but not dogs). How do they handle smooth parquet floors?
Are you allergic to greyhounds? I've read that they're low allergen because of their short fur, you might be lucky!

As for smooth floors, it can be a struggle for him sometimes. He's a bigger boy so it might just be due to his size, but it's not overly easy for him to stand up. But once he's up and trotting around, he's fine :)

To make this relevant:
0XnmyBo.jpg

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Greyhounds can't handle them. They need grippy rugs. They treat the world like The Floor Is Lava if you don't give them pathways. Also they kick non grippy rugs around. The aversion can make them avoid whole rooms, if they are the nervous type.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Greyhounds can't handle them. They need grippy rugs. They treat the world like The Floor Is Lava if you don't give them pathways. Also they kick non grippy rugs around. The aversion can make them avoid whole rooms, if they are the nervous type.
Yeah, I should've added that they need rugs and thick, fluffy beds if there's hard floors. We just have polished floorboards (and some tiles, but not many) around our house but in the areas we mostly use there are rugs which he gravitates towards. But like I said, following me around the rest of the house isn't an issue for him.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017

Haha there is absolutely no way to train a dog to leave cat food alone it seems. It's like crack to them! We have a baby gate set up in a doorway, mounted just high enough so the cats can slip under it but the dog can't. (You can also get pet gates that are basically the same thing but have a cat flap in them to let cats pass through). Doesn't look the best I suppose, but it's the most effective way we've found. I guess if you wanted to get creative you could also get some sort of box or chest with a hole or cat flap in it, then you could paint/decorate it to blend with the room (I know some people do something similar with litter trays so they're hidden away). Probably best to use a magnetic or microchip cat flap though as otherwise the dog will just stick their head right in there.

Oct 27, 2017
Any of you guys deal with a cat with clumped or matted fur? It seems pretty bad to me (2 big clumps, couple smaller ones). Job for a groomer or a vet? The cat in question is very very anxious, and does not travel well.

Oct 27, 2017
Really sorry for your loss! :( My condolences!

Nihilistic Monk Very sorry to hear about your loss. He looks like a great cat.

Thanks for all the kind words. We're coping ok. Going to put his ashes in our garden under a tree he always liked to sit under. Taking the family out for Pizza Thursday as well as a little wake for him where we'll just celebrate the fact we had him in our lives.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

That's a shame. I don't think they'd want to put rugs on their house.

Haha there is absolutely no way to train a dog to leave cat food alone it seems. It's like crack to them! We have a baby gate set up in a doorway, mounted just high enough so the cats can slip under it but the dog can't. (You can also get pet gates that are basically the same thing but have a cat flap in them to let cats pass through). Doesn't look the best I suppose, but it's the most effective way we've found. I guess if you wanted to get creative you could also get some sort of box or chest with a hole or cat flap in it, then you could paint/decorate it to blend with the room (I know some people do something similar with litter trays so they're hidden away). Probably best to use a magnetic or microchip cat flap though as otherwise the dog will just stick their head right in there.

I was thinking also of those automated food dispensers that can be programmed to read your cat's identification chip before they release food. My SO saw one in action (in the home of owners of a diabetic cat) and it works as advertised.

Any of you guys deal with a cat with clumped or matted fur? It seems pretty bad to me (2 big clumps, couple smaller ones). Job for a groomer or a vet? The cat in question is very very anxious, and does not travel well.

We've rescued some cats with some very nasty fur knots, even causing sores, and sometimes the best solution is to simply cut or shave the fur and wait for it to grow back. Try brushing the cat daily instead, we particularly like Furminator brushes which are great for removing a lot of dead fur without hurting the cat at all, but if the knot won't go, just cut that Gordian knot. :)

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking also of those automated food dispensers that can be programmed to read your cat's identification chip before they release food. My SO saw one in action (in the home of owners of a diabetic cat) and it works as advertised.

Ha you know I totally forgot we actually have 2 of them, although we had them because of a greedy cat, so we put the other cats' food in the microchip feeders so he couldn't steal it. We've stopped using them now because he stopped gorging and finally learned to regulate what he was eating. They'd probably do the trick, although our dog was very interested in the feeders and I don't think it would take much effort for her to "break in", so we still kept them behind the gate.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea of those microchip readers, but our cats don't like to be held and are indoor only, so I'm pretty sure they'll hate any kind of collar with a passion.

I'm definitely going to look into some of the ways litter is blocked off from doggos... we have a baby gate to our laundry where their litter is, but obviously the food can't go in there too!

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I like the idea of those microchip readers, but our cats don't like to be held and are indoor only, so I'm pretty sure they'll hate any kind of collar with a passion.

I'm definitely going to look into some of the ways litter is blocked off from doggos... we have a baby gate to our laundry where their litter is, but obviously the food can't go in there too!

No, no, they read the cat's microchips; as in, the subdermally implanted identification ones. No collars needed.

If your cats don't have a chip, you probably should put them anyway. I can't tell you how many "theoretically indoors" cats have ended up outdoors on someone's distraction.

Zellator

Sep 14, 2018
Just consulted with my quite expert SO just in case, she thinks the same, it's perfectly normal.

I had missed that your other two cats are also female. Female cats tend to be considerably more territorial, especially with each other, so that probably accounts for why they're kind of upset at each other too. Again, I don't think you should have a problem and it should solve itself in a week or two, but keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask anything else. :)

A week of hisses and growling, here they all are. This was today morning, chasing a fly together. :))
Thank you for your and your SO help! :))

dbFc7BM.jpg

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
A week of hisses and growling, here they all are. This was today morning, chasing a fly together. :))
Thank you for your and your SO help! :))

dbFc7BM.jpg

Always glad to help, and doubly glad to see them becoming pals. :)

That fly's not going to amount to much of a bite if they have to split it between them, though! :D

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone. I was advised to post this here.

This is my second vet visit in as many days.

My 2 year old cat Oliver has had very dark urine as of late. We've increased his canned food to increase hydration and also made sure the food was high quality urinary tract food.

This is a problem that's been off and on for a while but it's really dark now. We have a special litter box-Breeze-that has a litter pad/tray that is changed out-so we can clearly see the color of the urine.

We brought him to the vet yesterday and he had urinalysis and an ultrasound done. Nothing unusual was found. This morning as we were about to leave for a weekend trip, my wife checked the litter pad and the urine was the darkest that we've seen-blood red.

I'm back at the vet again-the vet is doing a blood test right now to rule out anything - and is going to put him on an anti-anxiety medication. She says that many cats, if they are really bonded with their humans-can get really stressed out when they see their humans packing to leave. And she says high stress can cause blood to appear in the urine.

Has anyone ever encountered this with their cat? That explanation sounds bizarre to me but she says when Oliver's all done she has some documentation on the issue to provide to me.

Poor guy....

fLT5S6Mh.jpg

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hi everyone. I was advised to post this here.

This is my second vet visit in as many days.

My 2 year old cat Oliver has had very dark urine as of late. We've increased his canned food to increase hydration and also made sure the food was high quality urinary tract food.

This is a problem that's been off and on for a while but it's really dark now. We have a special litter box-Breeze-that has a litter pad/tray that is changed out-so we can clearly see the color of the urine.

We brought him to the vet yesterday and he had urinalysis and an ultrasound done. Nothing unusual was found. This morning as we were about to leave for a weekend trip, my wife checked the litter pad and the urine was the darkest that we've seen-blood red.

I'm back at the vet again-the vet is doing a blood test right now to rule out anything - and is going to put him on an anti-anxiety medication. She says that many cats, if they are really bonded with their humans-can get really stressed out when they see their humans packing to leave. And she says high stress can cause blood to appear in the urine.

Has anyone ever encountered this with their cat? That explanation sounds bizarre to me but she says when Oliver's all done she has some documentation on the issue to provide to me.

Poor guy....

fLT5S6Mh.jpg

Cats having separation anxiety and resulting in physical symptoms does happen, although dark / bloody urine is one I have never encountered. It's quite weird to me that it could act so fast that the very same morning you're packing he'd have blood-colored urine, but I'll ask my SO in a few minutes when she gets back (true to form, she's currently helping people trap the two remaining kittens from a litter in our neighbourhood that have severely infected eyes and possibly panleukopenia).

What I can't ever stress enough is to follow the tip in the OP about keeping food and water separate. It really, really works.

Edit: My SO is back. She hasn't personally seen stress causing this, either, but apparently it can happen:
She says that a change in urine color may also be caused by a change of diet (e.g. foods that include beet, which some cat foods do). You mention you got his urine tested but turned out "normal", so are you sure it's actually blood? Did they tell you if it had crystals? Also, did you notice any change in behaviour, particularly when urinating (e.g. meowing, hesitation, or going more often)?

Last edited:

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Had to pass on the kittens I posted about here before. I went to a cat cafe last week that allows people to adopt them and my BF and I found two adult cats that we adored and applied for adoption (still waiting for them to approve it).

The cats are already fixed and will have all their vaccinations, are tested for FIV/FeLV, microchipped and we will be given a certificate for a free check up at a local vet clinic.

After all that, should there be anything else we need to do? We have toys and beds (and of course cardboard boxes from our recent move), and we will buy the litter and food the same day we get them (they will give us a bag of food to help the transition to any new food).

I like the idea of adopting adult cats because they are more set in their personalities. That being said, is it hard for an adult cat to adjust to new surroundings? We're hoping bringing over a familiar cat that they lived with at the cafe will make the transition easier.

So exciting :D

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Had to pass on the kittens I posted about here before. I went to a cat cafe last week that allows people to adopt them and my BF and I found two adult cats that we adored and applied for adoption (still waiting for them to approve it).

The cats are already fixed and will have all their vaccinations, are tested for FIV/FeLV, microchipped and we will be given a certificate for a free check up at a local vet clinic.

After all that, should there be anything else we need to do? We have toys and beds (and of course cardboard boxes from our recent move), and we will buy the litter and food the same day we get them (they will give us a bag of food to help the transition to any new food).

I like the idea of adopting adult cats because they are more set in their personalities. That being said, is it hard for an adult cat to adjust to new surroundings? We're hoping bringing over a familiar cat that they lived with at the cafe will make the transition easier.

So exciting :D

I think that about covers it. Be sure to put water and food away from each other as mentioned in the OP. Cats like fresh water so try to change twice a day at least. Also, some cat foods are much better for the cat's health than others, and it really has nothing to do with price or brand recognition; sometimes the most famous and expensive brands are the worst. Check the ingredients and if at all possible try to get food with animal protein that's not chicken, without cereals or vegetable subproducts, etc. If you google "best cat food" there's plenty of articles about that.

I think they should have zero problem adapting to a new home, especially being together (I'm assuming they got along well in the cat cafe?). They'll probably be more than happy to have a new home all for themselves, with more privacy and individual attention, especially if you spend the first few days with them (probably goes without saying but it's often best to time the adoption with a weekend or holidays).

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
I think they should have zero problem adapting to a new home, especially being together (I'm assuming they got along well in the cat cafe?).
Yes, all the cats at the cafe got along aside of the occasional bickering over the best pillows and perches hahaha the cats we are getting are male and female and aren't very territorial but even so our idea was to give them enough places to sit and sleep where they wouldn't fight over it. We're planning on two litterboxes as well, is it okay to have them right next to each other?

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yes, all the cats at the cafe got along aside of the occasional bickering over the best pillows and perches hahaha the cats we are getting are male and female and aren't very territorial but even so our idea was to give them enough places to sit and sleep where they wouldn't fight over it. We're planning on two litterboxes as well, is it okay to have them right next to each other?

Ah, that's great, a male and female won't be territorial against each other indeed. :)

It's perfectly OK to have the litter boxes next to each other, as long as they can access both easily (e.g. don't need to step over one to reach the other).

Keep us posted!

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Congrats on the two new friends. Hope to see pics. I'm sure they'll be very happy after a week or so to settle in. Re litterboxes I'm not going to argue with people recommending two, however I'll just say that I've had two cats now for over a decade and they've been sharing one litterbox the entire time with no issues at all. That needs a 24 or 36 hour cleanup. I recently found some bio-degradable small bags which are perfect for that, which is better than wasting plastic every day. I also have a ridiculous amount of cat beds around the place, where some are liked by both, some are claimed by one, or had been claimed by one then later claimed by the other.

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
Here's some photos of my youngest cat. She is soon two years old. She is a smoke tabby or sometimes called ghost tabby. I wasn't sure if she would end up mostly black or keep her tabby stripes as sometimes the coat darkens a lot as they grow up, but since she is almost two now it looks like she will stay this way! It's difficult to get a good photo of her coloring as it can look quite different depending on the light.
KCGtVmG.jpg
rnNcNhH.jpg
xrDvrhe.jpg
N4ued7X.jpg
go8pbcF.jpg

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Here's some photos of my youngest cat. She is soon two years old. She is a smoke tabby or sometimes called ghost tabby. I wasn't sure if she would end up mostly black or keep her tabby stripes as sometimes the coat darkens a lot as they grow up, but since she is almost two now it looks like she will stay this way! It's difficult to get a good photo of her coloring as it can look quite different depending on the light.
KCGtVmG.jpg
rnNcNhH.jpg
xrDvrhe.jpg
N4ued7X.jpg
go8pbcF.jpg

That last photo is adorable, awww.

Who's the oreo fellow in the third photo?

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
I'm am now a new cat parent! :D

They are scared and hiding under the furniture as expected, one of them was crying all the way home, poor baby. Only managed to get a pic of one of them before they both moved to a much darker spot under the bed.

IMG_20190526_155316.jpg

I have a small amount of food and some water when they are more comfortable to venture back out.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm am now a new cat parent! :D

They are scared and hiding under the furniture as expected, one of them was crying all the way home, poor baby. Only managed to get a pic of one of them before they both moved to a much darker spot under the bed.

IMG_20190526_155316.jpg

I have a small amount of food and some water when they are more comfortable to venture back out.

Congratulations! :)

Not sure how obvious this is to you (depends on whether you've had cats before, I guess) but you can leave as much dry food out in the open as you want; unlike dogs, cats will just eat a bit when they're hungry. For the particularly lazy like me and my SO, there's food dispensers that you can load with a lot of dry food. :)

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Housecat That's a beautiful cat. I love the colors there.

HyperFerret Also a great looking cat. I would suggest put some food, water and litterbox somewhere close to where they feel safe. Not right next to each other of course. That way they can still eat and crap until they feel safe enough around the house, then in a few days or a week you can move the stuff where you need it to be. I'm sure they'll be exploring at night when you go to bed.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
@HyperFerret Also a great looking cat. I would suggest put some food, water and litterbox somewhere close to where they feel safe. Not right next to each other of course. That way they can still eat and crap until they feel safe enough around the house, then in a few days or a week you can move the stuff where you need it to be. I'm sure they'll be exploring at night when you go to bed
It's actually a really small apartment but they have been hiding in the room where we were gonna put the food and litter anyway heh :P

And yeah, these cats are used to free feeding from the cat cafe, I'll add more food before I go to bed tonight. I didn't really want cats that fed on a schedule like my aunt's cat lol

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I could not love these two more if I tried. They're both 15 and a half, and Chloe (on the left) has been very skinny for a while so my wife is paranoid that she'll go any day now. Mind you, she's been skinny for about two years, so every day is a blessing even though she's one stubborn feline <3

nLRU5BC.jpg

EtQvDnM.jpg

VERY rare photos of them sitting together. Maybe because it's getting close to winter and they only snuggle when it's cold.

Edit: When they were tiny (and long before I arrived on the scene):
fBzmRem.jpg

Last edited:

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Good news! After seven hours the first cat came out from under the bed.

He was purring so hard the floor was shaking.

IMG_20190526_214735.jpg

Edit: both are out more frequently now although the gray one still goes under the bed for comfort but she claimed the bed at one point x3

20190526_220700.jpg

20190526_221406.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I could not love these two more if I tried. They're both 15 and a half, and Chloe (on the left) has been very skinny for a while so my wife is paranoid that she'll go any day now. Mind you, she's been skinny for about two years, so every day is a blessing even though she's one stubborn feline <3

nLRU5BC.jpg

EtQvDnM.jpg

VERY rare photos of them sitting together. Maybe because it's getting close to winter and they only snuggle when it's cold.

Edit: When they were tiny (and long before I arrived on the scene):
fBzmRem.jpg

Lovely! One of our cats is also very thin and often has severe mouth inflamation and pain due to calicivirus. We've tried a lot of different medication, which often has a noticeable effect at first but then tapers off. It's a really hard balancing act because medication can also damage her organs in the long run...

Good news! After seven hours the first cat came out from under the bed.

He was purring so hard the floor was shaking.

IMG_20190526_214735.jpg

Edit: both are out more frequently now although the gray one still goes under the bed for comfort but she claimed the bed at one point x3

20190526_220700.jpg

20190526_221406.jpg

Very glad they're adapting so quickly! :)

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
A slightly shamless c/c from the PetERA thread because I didn't know this thread existed, but here's my lovely cat!

She's 5 years old, and her name is Katamari. Yeah, it's totally a homage to Katamari Damacy, mostly because she looks like she's a big ball of fluff who rolled in a bunch of different paint buckets, (she's a Calico cat)! I love her to bits, she's fun, very playful, loves to lick humans she loves, and to sleep in our super comfy fluffy house robes (you can see it below, colonizing my grey one, and then colonizing the black one that my SO was wearing while playing). We adopted her from the SPA (French national animal welfare organization) when she was barely 1 year old, and having her by our side has been a delight ever since, she's our precious baby!

Also, today I'll go visit another cute cat, since my friends are gone on holidays and I'm the go-to friend to ask for cat-sitting when that happens (I'll do happily) and I can't wait to see her and take some cute pictures of her that I've been wishing to do for a long time. I enjoy taking pictures of cats in general, I don't know if I should post them here since they're not my cat, but I just might because they're just too cute!

Last edited:

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Lovely! One of our cats is also very thin and often has severe mouth inflamation and pain due to calicivirus. We've tried a lot of different medication, which often has a noticeable effect at first but then tapers off. It's a really hard balancing act because medication can also damage her organs in the long run...
I wonder if Chloe has that too. She has what looks like an ulcer (or possibly a cyst) in the corner of her mouth. We don't think it's getting bigger or worse, but does look like it could be painful.
It's only recent though, compared to her weight loss.
It's so sad and worrying though. She used to be the plumper of the two and now she's anything but. Still eats like a champ though!

Edit: Definitely not that, which is a relief because it looks horrible :( Hope yours gets through it/handles it okay.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I wonder if Chloe has that too. She has what looks like an ulcer (or possibly a cyst) in the corner of her mouth. We don't think it's getting bigger or worse, but does look like it could be painful.
It's only recent though, compared to her weight loss.
It's so sad and worrying though. She used to be the plumper of the two and now she's anything but. Still eats like a champ though!

Edit: Definitely not that, which is a relief because it looks horrible :( Hope yours gets through it/handles it okay.

You're always going to get the most extreme pictures of any pathology if you look online, Tigris doesn't look nearly as bad as those pictures. She goes back and forth between having inflamated and red inner mouth / throat corners, and looking perfectly fine.

If Chloe is eating normally, then perhaps that's not it, though. Did you take her to the vet?

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
A slightly shamless c/c from the PetERA thread because I didn't know this thread existed, but here's my lovely cat!

She's 5 years old, and her name is Katamari. Yeah, it's totally a homage to Katamari Damacy, mostly because she looks like she's a big ball of fluff who rolled in a bunch of different paint buckets, (she's a Calico cat)! I love her to bits, she's fun, very playful, loves to lick humans she loves, and to sleep in our super comfy fluffy house robes (you can see it below, colonizing my grey one, and then colonizing the black one that my SO was wearing while playing). We adopted her from the SPA (French national animal welfare organization) when she was barely 1 year old, and having her by our side has been a delight ever since, she's our precious baby!

Also, today I'll go visit another cute cat, since my friends are gone on holidays and I'm the go-to friend to ask for cat-sitting when that happens (I'll do happily) and I can't wait to see her and take some cute pictures of her that I've been wishing to do for a long time. I enjoy taking pictures of cats in general, I don't know if I should post them here since they're not my cat, but I just might because they're just too cute!

Sorry, I had missed this post! I love the explanation for her name, "rolled on a bunch of paint buckets". :D
It's funny how in some of the pics her eyes seem full gold, in others they seem gold and green. I'm assuming they're the latter.
My SO's spoiled little princess is also a calico (third pic in the OP). She's a bit unusual in that her "black" is more of a gray, she calls her a "washed off calico".

And by all means post the pics of the other cat, as long as its owner doesn't mind.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I should've posted here last week, I was anxious as fuck for my cat until today when we finally reached our vet.

I notice a small lump near her left shoulder, shit got me nervous, me and my GF waited a couple of day to see if it would grow or disappear. I the meantime I looked on the internet which didn't help my anxiety at all.

Then at 7am I called and got told that it was a normal auto-immune reaction to have a small lump after a rabies shot, which she got on May 7th...can last a few weeks.

She's only 2 years old and it got me so nervous, love her so much. D:

EDIT: And here's a photo of Shadow for good form lol.

Last edited:

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
That last photo is adorable, awww.

Who's the oreo fellow in the third photo?

She is super cute! Doesn't like to cuddle much though, she is all about playing. The oreo fellow is my oldest cat, he will be 13 one of these days (not sure which date exactly). He hates the neighbour dog so he doesn't like it when my two other cats are outside. Whenever they are, he insists on coming along to be their body guard/sheepdog/babysitter. Neighbor dog is no threat though, he just thinks so :p

Housecat That's a beautiful cat. I love the colors there.

She really is! I think cat colors are really interesting, I love hove varied they can be.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Sorry, I had missed this post! I love the explanation for her name, "rolled on a bunch of paint buckets". :D
It's funny how in some of the pics her eyes seem full gold, in others they seem gold and green. I'm assuming they're the latter.
My SO's spoiled little princess is also a calico (third pic in the OP). She's a bit unusual in that her "black" is more of a gray, she calls her a "washed off calico".

And by all means post the pics of the other cat, as long as its owner doesn't mind.

Aww it's alright, thanks a lot! And year I love Arcee's colors, so soft! I already seen a Calico with such washed off colors, they're always very lovely! As for Katamari's eyes, they're more gold/greenish yeah, a mix of both of those colors. I guess my photo- editing come sometimes make one color or the other pop more, hence the differences, but also I feel her own eye color can sometimes change ever so slightly depending on the weather and lighting conditions.

And I'll surely post pictures of cats I have at some point then!

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I should've posted here last week, I was anxious as fuck for my cat until today when we finally reached our vet.

I notice a small lump near her left shoulder, shit got me nervous, me and my GF waited a couple of day to see if it would grow or disappear. I the meantime I looked on the internet which didn't help my anxiety at all.

Then at 7am I called and got told that it was a normal auto-immune reaction to have a small lump after a rabies shot, which she got on May 7th...can last a few weeks.

She's only 2 years old and it got me so nervous, love her so much. D:

EDIT: And here's a photo of Shadow for good form lol.

Yeah mine had the same thing and the vet removed/biopsied the lump and my cat was fine.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Well, remember my SO worked at La Gatoteca, Madrid's cat cafe? She was fired today. The reason? The cat cafe heavily employs homeopathy on both the cats they have and the recommended treatments given to adopted cats, which my SO obviously knows it's quackery but has to put up with because work.

However one of the adopters had a terrible experience with the homeopathic "vet" when she treated her own cats, and directly asked my SO about it, and obviously she told her she doesn't believe it works. And then the adopter had the good sense of telling my SO's boss about it. :P

The firing comes at the end of a long string of other mistreatments, starting with having to put up with an illegal contract where she's paid for 20 hours a week but works well over 30, etc., so we're contacting a labour lawyer to consider our options.

Sorry, this really doesn't have much to do with cats, I just needed to vent a bit.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Well, remember my SO worked at La Gatoteca, Madrid's cat cafe? She was fired today. The reason? The cat cafe heavily employs homeopathy on both the cats they have and the recommended treatments given to adopted cats, which my SO obviously knows it's quackery but has to put up with because work.

However one of the adopters had a terrible experience with the homeopathic "vet" when she treated her own cats, and directly asked my SO about it, and obviously she told her she doesn't believe it works. And then the adopter had the good sense of telling my SO's boss about it. :P

The firing comes at the end of a long string of other mistreatments, starting with having to put up with an illegal contract where she's paid for 20 hours a week but works well over 30, etc., so we're contacting a labour lawyer to consider our options.

Sorry, this really doesn't have much to do with cats, I just needed to vent a bit.
Sorry to hear that. I hope their homeopathy isn't an excuse to skimp on vets bills. I wonder if they do the same for themselves and their own family, or if they go to doctors for that.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
If Chloe is eating normally, then perhaps that's not it, though. Did you take her to the vet?
We've shown pictures of the sore to our vet and her diagnosis (as accurate as it could be from a photo) was that if she's eating normally then perhaps it's just some kind of weeping cyst and isn't harmful.

Chloe did have a (somewhat) high calcium content reading in her blood when we last took her to the vet (years ago), but because she doesn't like being picked up and was given the nickname "Chloe the Ferocious" when she was last in there, we fear any stress would override any potential treatment... especially given how skinny and fragile she seems :( Funny thing though, is that the vet was surprised when a year or so after that high calcium reading we told her she was still alive and put it down to some anomaly in that reading.

I really do wish both (or either) of our cats liked to be picked up, but from what I understand with most cats, there's purring, meowing and picking up... pick two. We definitely got the first two :D At least they're lap cats and will happily snuggle up while we're watching TV when it's cold. And sometimes even crawl under the doona with us (which I love!).

Never really thought I was a cat person until I met these two older ladies, and my wife (who owned them 10 years before we met) says I visibly glow when they snuggle on my lap. I'm definitely smitten with them <3

That sounds horrible and like borderline abuse. Fair enough that people can choose their own treatments but when it comes to creatures that can't speak for themselves, no-one has any right to experiment against things that knowingly work (unless it puts said critter in undue comfort/pain).

PS. I would totally work at a cat cafe, if I knew I wouldn't get distracted by the cats and completely ignore the humans coming in lol

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Sorry to hear that. I hope their homeopathy isn't an excuse to skimp on vets bills. I wonder if they do the same for themselves and their own family, or if they go to doctors for that.

Unsurprisingly, her boss doesn't use homepathy for herself... or her own cats. Cognitive dissonance at its best.

The tragic thing is that the vet herself is the one recommending cats are on permanently homeopathic treatments.

I really do wish both (or either) of our cats liked to be picked up, but from what I understand with most cats, there's purring, meowing and picking up... pick two.

Hahah, definitely not my experience:
- Arcee is the chattiest cat in the house (she meows like ten times as much as all the others combined, you can have entire conversations with her), purrs like crazy when petted, and loves being picked up.
- Tigris is almost 100% silent (she even has "silent meows" where no sound comes out), almost never purrs, and is terrified of being picked up.
Our other cats are silent, purring, and pickup-able, which seems to be the most common combination.

Never really thought I was a cat person until I met these two older ladies, and my wife (who owned them 10 years before we met) says I visibly glow when they snuggle on my lap. I'm definitely smitten with them <3

"I didn't like cats and now I love them" is the most common sentiment we get from adopters. They do have a way to win your heart. :)

PS. I would totally work at a cat cafe, if I knew I wouldn't get distracted by the cats and completely ignore the humans coming in lol

Well, half of the job is taking care of the cats (cleaning litter boxes, etc.); the most human-facing task is the counter which is outside the zone with the cats. At least on this one particular "cat cafe", which admittedly is pretty unconventional in that it's more of a place with cats that you can get beverages in (there's soft drinks and a coffe machine you operate yourself, but they're outside the cat area).

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
^ Fyi, you mixed up the quotes there somehow. The last two comments were someone else.

A lot of major cities have cat cafes btw, maybe only 1 or 2 though. It may be unique to the area but the concept is common these days. Most times when we are traveling abroad we'll seek one out to get some feline time while we miss our own at home.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
^ Fyi, you mixed up the quotes there somehow. The last two comments were someone else.

Yep, I copied the quote tag from your post instead of Sheepinator's.

A lot of major cities have cat cafes btw, maybe only 1 or 2 though. It may be unique to the area but the concept is common these days. Most times when we are traveling abroad we'll seek one out to get some feline time while we miss our own at home.

I didn't mean that cat cafes are unique, I mean that this is a somewhat unconventional cat cafe, in that it's not nearly a cafe at all. It's my understanding (or at least that's how other cat cafes I've been to are) that you normally sit on tables and a waiter gets your order, like in most "non-cat" cafes. This one is a self-service and you pay for the time you're in it (which includes one beverage).

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I didn't mean that cat cafes are unique, I mean that this is a somewhat unconventional cat cafe, in that it's not nearly a cafe at all. It's my understanding (or at least that's how other cat cafes I've been to are) that you normally sit on tables and a waiter gets your order, like in most "non-cat" cafes. This one is a self-service and you pay for the time you're in it (which includes one beverage).
Ah I see. Yes I've been to ones that are like regular cafes with service, and of course things cost more because there are cats around. I think there's one in Amsterdam that's like you describe. We checked the website, and went out of our way to get there (wasn't quite in the city center) only to be told you have to book an appointment and you pay for the time like you describe. That information wasn't on the front page of their site, so we had wasted our limited time on that trip and were quite annoyed that they weren't more up-front about how they operate.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Ah I see. Yes I've been to ones that are like regular cafes with service, and of course things cost more because there are cats around. I think there's one in Amsterdam that's like you describe. We checked the website, and went out of our way to get there (wasn't quite in the city center) only to be told you have to book an appointment and you pay for the time like you describe. That information wasn't on the front page of their site, so we had wasted our limited time on that trip and were quite annoyed that they weren't more up-front about how they operate.

Yeah, same in La Gatoteca, if you don't book an appointment it's quite likely you won't be able to get in.