• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
My wife usually leaves the house at 6AM for work and I'm out at 9AM, and she arrives home usually around 3/4PM and I'm home at 5:30/6:30PM, so there's about a six to eight hour period where Jensen will be on his own, which means that anything more than two feedings a day might be hard to wrangle. I was thinking 8AM in the morning I would add dry food to his dish (not quite sure how much yet, but obviously it would be an appropriately measured amount) and then at 6PM we would add some wet food to his dry. Does this sound okay or probably a bad idea? I'm flying fairly blind here.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The debate of free feeding vs meals for cats is long and ongoing. Personally, if the cat isn't obese, I prefer free feeding simply because it removes one source of anxiety for the cat and promotes thoroughly chewing and swallowing the food rather than gobbling it. Our cats have dry food available to them at all times via top-loaded dispensers, and my SO gives them a wet food "dinner" in the evening. They all ration their food well, rarely taking more than a few bites of dry food, and none are obese.

One thing to keep in mind is that quality dry food is mostly protein and barely has any fat / carbs, it's mostly the low quality brands with animal and plant subproducts that has more calories. Wet food is where they get most of the fat intake.

Here's an article that more or less sums up the pros and cons of each, as well as how to transition between them:

We can't leave dry food out for him though, he will continuously eat and make himself sick.

Well, that's because he's used to having his food rationed. :) A cat used to "I have to eat as much as possible since I won't have access to food after that" will keep doing just that; it's what he's used to.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
No idea how I didn't come across this thread until now! Have had my sweet babies for about a year now, and my housemate has a younger one too (7 months) who is just an absolutely adorable little trash gremlin. Here's a picture of them I took recently, big album cover mood ft. Blood Sweat & Pixels:
xfTyQg7.jpg

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Here's an article that more or less sums up the pros and cons of each, as well as how to transition between them:

Thanks! We use a schedule because one of our two cats would just gobble up all his sisters food (he has done so since being a kitten, and is much more dominant than this sister when it comes to appetite). But during the summer; he equals sunlight with 'its feeding' time and starts causing a ruckus; which is getting a bit too much lately.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
No idea how I didn't come across this thread until now! Have had my sweet babies for about a year now, and my housemate has a younger one too (7 months) who is just an absolutely adorable little trash gremlin. Here's a picture of them I took recently, big album cover mood ft. Blood Sweat & Pixels:
That's a great picture. Are the two in the back related?

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Trying to help my baby-boy lose weight. I've been gradually moving him to wet food, and starting to feed him twice a day--am I doing it wrong?

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
So I was randomly browsing PetFinder the other night and came across this majestic creature:

Showed him to the wife, who had a good laugh, and then we both decided we needed to go visit him. We visited him last Thursday and he's an absolute sweetheart. Didn't flinch from an outstretched hand like other cats we had visited in the past and let us both pick him up without issue, and he started purring immediately, so he's definitely coming home with us.

We've been straigthening up the apartment since then, moving around some furniture so we can give him a dedicated kitty area near a window and have been gradually picking up supplies for him. We initially had plans to pick him up on Wednesday, July 3rd so we could have the full 4-day weekend with him to adjust, but there's an adoption event this weekend and I was concerned he would be scooped up before that, so I e-mailed the shelter and asked if they could put a "hold" on him so we can pick him up either before closing on Friday or early Saturday.

I asked the shelter what dry food they're feeding him so I can pick up a small package of it and I'll probably gradually move him over to wet food since that seems to be more beneficial. Any suggestions on wet food that won't break the bank but also isn't chinese newspapers and apple cores?

I'm doing my best to not go crazy with cat trees and whatnot, especially since we'll likely be moving into a house by the end of the year, and I figure there's no point in dropping big bucks on anything huge when we're in a smaller space right now. I was gonna pick him up a cat fountain, but I think we'll just stick with a standard water dish for now and upgrade him in the future.
*dies* That cat is so handsome! I hope you keep that name too, it's also very cute.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
My cat - She's blind, has been since birth. She gets around our house fine, honestly we barely even remember she's blind half the time.

OruCQhtl.jpg

q7SZb13l.jpg

However, I have a question for people here, hopefully someone also with a blind animal can help, but general advice could be useful.

Out cat is very bad about making it to a litterbox for urinating. She sometimes will, sometimes won't. I am assuming she marks places to know where she is going. I have tried a large number of things, cat luring special litter, I bought a heavy duty carpet cleaner and cleaner which destroys urine enzymes, took her to the vet to check her, but nothing seems to be working.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
*dies* That cat is so handsome! I hope you keep that name too, it's also very cute.

Oh yeah, definitely keeping the name. His paperwork at the shelter implied that he was a surrender, which is probably why he was so well-mannered and I'm assuming that was the name that he arrived with, so I don't want to go and change it now.

The name and expression he has plus the tie in the picture had us making up all sorts of backstories for him about being a cat that worked in an office and was constantly being berated by his boss for this work performance I.E. "Jensen! Did you get those tax forms in on time?"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Welcome! Those are some beautiful kids. :)

Trying to help my baby-boy lose weight. I've been gradually moving him to wet food, and starting to feed him twice a day--am I doing it wrong?

Consulted with the SO, this is good as long as it's high-quality food, cereal-free and monoproteic. I'm assuming you've measured the amount to give him according to his weight?

My cat - She's blind, has been since birth. She gets around our house fine, honestly we barely even remember she's blind half the time.

OruCQhtl.jpg

q7SZb13l.jpg

However, I have a question for people here, hopefully someone also with a blind animal can help, but general advice could be useful.

Out cat is very bad about making it to a litterbox for urinating. She sometimes will, sometimes won't. I am assuming she marks places to know where she is going. I have tried a large number of things, cat luring special litter, I bought a heavy duty carpet cleaner and cleaner which destroys urine enzymes, took her to the vet to check her, but nothing seems to be working.

A blind cat should not have trouble finding their litter box. My SO suggested something that might come across as a bit gross, which is to always leave a bit of "dirty" litter when you change it, so that she can navigate by scent. Scented litter could actually be conterproductive since it might mask the urine smell. And of course, try to never change the litter box's location. You also mention you took her to the vet but it might be worth it to consult with another, see if she has crystals or whatever. Sorry that I can't be of much use beyond relatively obvious stuff... :/

Sweet Gurren Lagann banner and vintage console collection, BTW!

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
A blind cat should not have trouble finding their litter box. My SO suggested something that might come across as a bit gross, which is to always leave a bit of "dirty" litter when you change it, so that she can navigate by scent. Scented litter could actually be conterproductive since it might mask the urine smell. And of course, try to never change the litter box's location. You also mention you took her to the vet but it might be worth it to consult with another, see if she has crystals or whatever. Sorry that I can't be of much use beyond relatively obvious stuff... :/

Sweet Gurren Lagann banner and vintage console collection, BTW!
Thank you!

I will mention, the litter isn't "scented" in the traditional scent, I bought some expensive "cat attract" litter that is supposed to make them want to go to the bathroom in there more. But I can try swapping back to normal litter too. We've also tried leaving a bit in there sometimes as well.

I'll maybe consider another vet, I've almost just succumbed to the idea of needing to shampoo the carpet every weekend because I can't figure out anything to do about it and I love the cat too much to get rid of her.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thank you!

I will mention, the litter isn't "scented" in the traditional scent, I bought some expensive "cat attract" litter that is supposed to make them want to go to the bathroom in there more. But I can try swapping back to normal litter too. We've also tried leaving a bit in there sometimes as well.

I'll maybe consider another vet, I've almost just succumbed to the idea of needing to shampoo the carpet every weekend because I can't figure out anything to do about it and I love the cat too much to get rid of her.

Well, let's not give up hope just yet. A lot of cats are very stubborn about pissing where they shouldn't and take months or years to re-educate.
When she pees outside of the litter box, is it always the same spot? If so, there are tricks to curb that. One is to put food (after cleaning, obviously), as cats won't pee where there's food. Another is a straightforward "Mahoma and the mountain" gambit: put an extra litter box where she pees. :D

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Well, let's not give up hope just yet. A lot of cats are very stubborn about pissing where they shouldn't and take months or years to re-educate.
When she pees outside of the litter box, is it always the same spot? If so, there are tricks to curb that. One is to put food (after cleaning, obviously), as cats won't pee where there's food. Another is a straightforward "Mahoma and the mountain" gambit: put an extra litter box where she pees. :D
She actually does do it in the consistently same spots for the most part. The food idea is pretty good! But the litter box idea won't work, the spots are too... inconvenient for a litter box to go. I was considering plastic mats or puppy pads.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Welcome! Those are some beautiful kids. :)

Consulted with the SO, this is good as long as it's high-quality food, cereal-free and monoproteic. I'm assuming you've measured the amount to give him according to his weight?

Yes, I have been. Thanks, that's such a relief to hear--he's been pretty pissed with me, but as long as he'll be ok, I can stick with it.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Alright, the wife and I did our shopping run and picked up everything. Cat tower is built, litter box has litter in it, and there's toys abound.

Shelter closes at 7 tonight, so I'm getting off from work at 5, gonna set up his food and water dishes and we'll head over to pick him up. I'll be sure to snap photos once he's comfortable.

Also I spotted these last night and I pretty much had to get them, even though I realize how pandering it is.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Alright, the wife and I did our shopping run and picked up everything. Cat tower is built, litter box has litter in it, and there's toys abound.

Shelter closes at 7 tonight, so I'm getting off from work at 5, gonna set up his food and water dishes and we'll head over to pick him up. I'll be sure to snap photos once he's comfortable.

Also I spotted these last night and I pretty much had to get them, even though I realize how pandering it is.

Nice, lol. Be prepared for the cat needing some time to acclimatize. If it needs some safe space for a few days, maybe consider putting the food water and litter closer to there, until it's comfortable with the whole environment. And just in case, please no collar with a bell :-) (some here will say no collar at all, which I won't argue, but especially no bell). Keep us posted!

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
wxq1ljA.jpg

The bell is very small and only really makes noises when he gets moving. It's nice to have at night since he blends into a dark room and we can almost immediately locate him.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
wxq1ljA.jpg

The bell is very small and only really makes noises when he gets moving. It's nice to have at night since he blends into a dark room and we can almost immediately locate him.

I get that often from cat bell users, but I've never understood the need for "immediately locating" cats. They're rarely far away from us; the only times I have a hard time looking for one of mine is when they go to sleep somewhere secluded (e.g. bed drawers), and a cat bell isn't going to help you there.

hythloday

Oct 28, 2017
In March, we lost one of our two cats, Luna. I still miss her very much, but now I'm starting to feel like perhaps it's time to offer a home to another cat in need.

I just wish there was a way to know if the cat we have, Noelle, would really like a friend, or if she's perfectly happy being the only cat and the center of attention now. Things are stable, and she seems happy. She's a social cat and didn't fight with our other girl. She tried to sniff her from time to time, but Luna wasn't receptive. Sometimes it would seem like she'd "charge" at her, but I didn't get "aggressiveness" from that. I'd think she was trying to get Luna to play with her. Maybe I was wrong?

I just don't want to ruin a good thing.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
In March, we lost one of our two cats, Luna. I still miss her very much, but now I'm starting to feel like perhaps it's time to offer a home to another cat in need.

I just wish there was a way to know if the cat we have, Noelle, would really like a friend, or if she's perfectly happy being the only cat and the center of attention now. Things are stable, and she seems happy. She's a social cat and didn't fight with our other girl. She tried to sniff her from time to time, but Luna wasn't receptive. Sometimes it would seem like she'd "charge" at her, but I didn't get "aggressiveness" from that. I'd think she was trying to get Luna to play with her. Maybe I was wrong?

I just don't want to ruin a good thing.

Hey hythloday, long time no see! I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

There's a couple of solutions to your situation:
- Find a shelter or rescuer that is fine with letting you tentatively adopt a cat, wait for the period of acclimation, and return it if things don't work out. We are like that, for example; the cats' well-being (both Noelle and the new cat) would be our highest priority so we tell all our adopters to please contact us if there's any problem, and we'll take back the cat.
- My preferred solution is to become a foster home for someone you trust (i.e. someone that won't dump cats on you and disappear, or give you feral or untested cats). That way you can check if your cat is receptive to other cats, and you even get to pick the specific cat you prefer that takes well to you or Noelle (most adopters give foster home preference regarding adoption). That's how I got Ratón, we're a foster home and a lot of cats have come and gone, including many super sweet cats that tempted me into adopting them, but Ratón was the one I could not part with. :) As a bonus, of course, you're providing a much welcome and needed buffer between rescues and adoptions.

Hey, thanks for that!

You're welcome, it's the truth! :)

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's our little angel sleeping on the balcony.

48152665906_b55a1cc325_k.jpg

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Everything going so far so good. Trying to get in 15 to 30 minute play sessions in the morning and evening when possible. Got probably a dozen or so standard catnip/silverleaf cat toys for him to bat around plus two wands and a few other miscellaneous items.

In a week or so I might get him something a bit more interactive that he'll be able to activate when we're not home along with a cat fountain, though he doesn't seem to have any qualms with drinking the water out of the bowl, and I actually make sure to show him that I'm pouring in fresh water every morning after throwing out the water from the day before; figure that can't hurt.

The shelter gave me a small sample bag of the food he was being fed at the shelter, so he's mostly eating that until we get down to the bottom third of the bag, and then we'll start stirring in a bit of the Nulo cat food small amounts at a time until we run out of the shelter food. I was going to give him 3/4 of a cup a day as the bag suggests, but he doesn't eat the whole bowl in a day, so I just kinda top it off every morning along with replacing his water dish.

When I bought the Nulo dry food last week it came with a small pack of wet food, so I gave that to him Sunday with dinner and he seemed to like it.

Last night I opened the first can of Nulo wet food and gave him about a third of it, which honestly seemed like a lot. He ate about 80% of what was on the plate, so I'll probably switch to giving him quarters of a can at once.

At any point should I throw out the entire bowl of dry food and replace it for him? I've been picking it up, topping it off, and kinda of stirring it up to think that's it fresh, but I'm wondering if maybe once a week I toss the whole bowl's worth just in case the stuff that hasn't been eaten in a few days has gotten "stale".

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
At any point should I throw out the entire bowl of dry food and replace it for him? I've been picking it up, topping it off, and kinda of stirring it up to think that's it fresh, but I'm wondering if maybe once a week I toss the whole bowl's worth just in case the stuff that hasn't been eaten in a few days has gotten "stale".

I actually just read about that not long ago, and apparently dry food takes a very long time to go bad, so you should be fine. We sometimes just wait until all the food is gone before refilling (although we mostly use dispensers).

Point made. I'll be taking the bell of mine as soon as I get home, but he's had it since January (the earliest, I think)--am I too late to avoid damage to his hearing?

I'm not the biggest expert in cat bells for obvious reasons, but a few months probably wouldn't be enough to damage his hearing permanently. If you're worried, wait until a month or two after removing it, and check if he seems to be hearing fine (snap your fingers near each ear and see if he turns that way), or simply ask the vet to check that the next time you take him there.

It should also be noted that, while obviously doing everything we can not to damage their hearing should be a priority, many cats are actually deaf as a post (white cats with blue eyes are very prone to this).

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I'm not the biggest expert in cat bells for obvious reasons, but a few months probably wouldn't be enough to damage his hearing permanently. If you're worried, wait until a month or two after removing it, and check if he seems to be hearing fine (snap your fingers near each ear and see if he turns that way), or simply ask the vet to check that the next time you take him there.

It should also be noted that, while obviously doing everything we can not to damage their hearing should be a priority, many cats are actually deaf as a post (white cats with blue eyes are very prone to this).

That's a relief--thank you!

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
You're welcome!

Incidentally, the missus and I loved Ghost Trick,
and we nearly called our black cat "Sissel"
. :)

Haha--I wanted to name mine that too, the resemblance is uncanny (minus the belly), but he already had a name when I got him. To be fair, Onyx is also a good name.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Haha--I wanted to name mine that too, the resemblance is uncanny (minus the belly), but he already had a name when I got him. To be fair, Onyx is also a good name.

Onyx is a great name for a black cat indeed. My best friend and his SO had a black dog called Onyx, but it came from WoW's Onyxia. :D

We ended up calling our black cat Yami, because it's "darkness" in Japanese but also because he has a Y-shaped white patch on his belly. :)

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Onyx is a great name for a black cat indeed. My best friend and his SO had a black dog called Onyx, but it came from WoW's Onyxia. :D

We ended up calling our black cat Yami, because it's "darkness" in Japanese but also because he has a Y-shaped white patch on his belly. :)

That is so cool--you and your SO have some pretty hype names for some hype kitties!

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That is so cool--you and your SO have some pretty hype names for some hype kitties!

Hahah, except for Ratón (which came with that name, and we pretty much nickname "baby" anyway) we always try for simple, two-syllable names ending on an i / ee sound; cats seem to respond to these the best. Tigris in particular turns her head to look at us any time her name is mentioned, even in casual conversation, which means whenever we have to give her medicines we have to say things like "hold the cat that shall not be named".

hythloday

Oct 28, 2017
Hey hythloday, long time no see! I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

There's a couple of solutions to your situation:
- Find a shelter or rescuer that is fine with letting you tentatively adopt a cat, wait for the period of acclimation, and return it if things don't work out. We are like that, for example; the cats' well-being (both Noelle and the new cat) would be our highest priority so we tell all our adopters to please contact us if there's any problem, and we'll take back the cat.
- My preferred solution is to become a foster home for someone you trust (i.e. someone that won't dump cats on you and disappear, or give you feral or untested cats). That way you can check if your cat is receptive to other cats, and you even get to pick the specific cat you prefer that takes well to you or Noelle (most adopters give foster home preference regarding adoption). That's how I got Ratón, we're a foster home and a lot of cats have come and gone, including many super sweet cats that tempted me into adopting them, but Ratón was the one I could not part with. :) As a bonus, of course, you're providing a much welcome and needed buffer between rescues and adoptions.

Hey, thank you very much for the advice!

We did end up finding a handsome fellow that looks like a good fit for us. They don't allow "temporary" adoptions but the rescue seems to be reputable and they were able to tell me a lot about his personality. We submitted an application today so here's hoping. If we bring him home, I will of course post pics.

Earlier in the week we went to the local Humane Society, which was kind of a disappointment. They had plenty of cats and I'm sure they were all amazing, but I'll say it was not an environment conducive to finding a good match. After we signed in at a front desk, a staff member just told us (from across the room) to go back to the cat rooms and look around. But nobody ever came back to check on us, say hello or offer information.

There was a cat I wanted to play with and meet, and I wasn't about to just start opening cages without staff permission. So we checked in at the front desk for assistance with the cat, and a staffer just shoved a clipboard with an application at us. Then when we filled it out, another staffer acted puzzled when we said we hadn't played with the cat yet! (Well, we tried!) Then it turned out that cat already had an application pending. I declined to go back and look at others because it was so disorganized! I felt very awful about not giving another cat a chance, because I'm sure they're doing their best to save lives with an understaffed/financed rescue, but it left a very bad impression and I did not want to risk bringing home a cat that turned out to be not friendly to Noelle.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hey, thank you very much for the advice!

We did end up finding a handsome fellow that looks like a good fit for us. They don't allow "temporary" adoptions but the rescue seems to be reputable and they were able to tell me a lot about his personality. We submitted an application today so here's hoping. If we bring him home, I will of course post pics.

Excellent, really glad to hear that! I'd say "post pics" if you hadn't already said you would. :)

Earlier in the week we went to the local Humane Society, which was kind of a disappointment. They had plenty of cats and I'm sure they were all amazing, but I'll say it was not an environment conducive to finding a good match. After we signed in at a front desk, a staff member just told us (from across the room) to go back to the cat rooms and look around. But nobody ever came back to check on us, say hello or offer information.

There was a cat I wanted to play with and meet, and I wasn't about to just start opening cages without staff permission. So we checked in at the front desk for assistance with the cat, and a staffer just shoved a clipboard with an application at us. Then when we filled it out, another staffer acted puzzled when we said we hadn't played with the cat yet! (Well, we tried!) Then it turned out that cat already had an application pending. I declined to go back and look at others because it was so disorganized! I felt very awful about not giving another cat a chance, because I'm sure they're doing their best to save lives with an understaffed/financed rescue, but it left a very bad impression and I did not want to risk bringing home a cat that turned out to be not friendly to Noelle.

Unfortunate, but absolutely not surprising. In our experience, the larger an association is, the worse it is, and often bloated with people that are in it only for the money, at least in Spain. This is precisely what led Gema to utter disappointment and pushed her into working alone on her own free time, as she could do so much more that way.

Actual government-sponsored services are often the worst of the bunch; we asked once the local SEVEMUR service for help with a particularly hard-to-get cat family, and the experience was jaw-droppingly dismal: they didn't seem interested at all in helping, they reportedly didn't even have freaking traps (!?), and they told us any cats they caught (one has to wonder how?) would be dropped straight into the also abysmally-managed (and often disease-ridden) pound anyway; not letting even registered associations to take care of them. Infuriating to say the least from a group of supposed professionals, with more than generous wages paid out of our taxes.

hythloday

Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunate, but absolutely not surprising. In our experience, the larger an association is, the worse it is, and often bloated with people that are in it only for the money, at least in Spain. This is precisely what led Gema to utter disappointment and pushed her into working alone on her own free time, as she could do so much more that way.

Actual government-sponsored services are often the worst of the bunch; we asked once the local SEVEMUR service for help with a particularly hard-to-get cat family, and the experience was jaw-droppingly dismal: they didn't seem interested at all in helping, they reportedly didn't even have freaking traps (!?), and they told us any cats they caught (one has to wonder how?) would be dropped straight into the also abysmally-managed (and often disease-ridden) pound anyway; not letting even registered associations to take care of them. Infuriating to say the least from a group of supposed professionals, with more than generous wages paid out of our taxes.

I wasn't all too surprised either. It was very sad - the cat area was very cramped, but they had a big, airy lobby. If they'd have adjusted the floor plan just a bit..!!

They did not even have the lights on in the cat area. It was early afternoon and there was a lot of natural light, but depending on the direction of the windows, it was hard to even see where the cats were hanging out in some of the free-roaming cat rooms. Very sad! I don't think they were government-run but even just some minor changes in their process would have helped.

I feel very good about the rescue we just applied with. They have most of their cats in foster homes, and some in adoption centers they have set up in pet stores and vet's offices. They also run a pretty big trap-neuter-release operation for feral colonies.

Since I am not posting pictures of the prospective newbie yet, here is a picture of Noelle and her pretty pink tent!

nq6DWpJ.jpg

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I rescued a 4 month old kitten and she has a huge biting problem. She's just playing and we've tried everything but it's starting to hurt. Any help?