• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I rescued a 4 month old kitten and she has a huge biting problem. She's just playing and we've tried everything but it's starting to hurt. Any help?

In most cases, biting hands is a bad habit stemming from owners using their hands to play with them. Use toys like cat fishing poles, balls, etc. instead. Cats play with their prey and biting their toys is just part of that.

At 4 month it's still not to late to teach her that hands are not toys (she will probably be confused at first but adapt quickly), but you both have to be consistent and strict about it.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
In most cases, biting hands is a bad habit stemming from owners using their hands to play with them. Use toys like cat fishing poles, balls, etc. instead. Cats play with their prey and biting their toys is just part of that.

At 4 month it's still not to late to teach her that hands are not toys (she will probably be confused at first but adapt quickly), but you both have to be consistent and strict about it.
So should we not pet her at all and just force her to play with toys?

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So should we not pet her at all and just force her to play with toys?

Is she biting you when you're strictly petting her? If so the problem is a different one. First of all you need to figure out if she's really playing, or if she's warning you because she finds petting to be disagreeable. Many cats become overstimulated if petted for a long time (with "long" varying a lot from cat to cat), causing them to feel further petting as actually painful, and lash out defensively. With their owners, they will often first warn them by biting gently. If this is the case, then you indeed need to pet her for shorter periods of time.

On the other hand, if she's actually playing, you still need to teach her that hands are not toys. The best way to do this is to watch out for when she's going to start playing with your hands, then gently but firmly tell her "no" (or "shush" her) and pull back your hand. You can also redirect play towards a toy at this time. Once she's tired from playing, you can try petting her again. This will probably be confusing for her at first, but it should eventually get the point across that hands are for petting and not for playing.

Be sure to let me know how this all goes. :)

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Alright so

I just adopted two new cats. The kitten and my existing cat get along fine. The other newbie is stressed and territorial. I also just moved into a new apartment today. Newbie boy Zima got out of his kennel and escaped the bathroom. This is where he is now

PObFKcS.jpg

This motherfucker is occupying my new bedroom. Where am I supposed to sleep

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't hear it, but is it the ones that sound like a small, higher-pitched hum? Both of our girls do that and it makes my heart melt like a motherfucker.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Jensen likes to sleep with us at the foot of the bed but I'm so afraid I'm gonna accidentally kick him during the night.

We set up our first vet checkup on Thursday, so here's hoping that goes well from both the transportation to and from the clinic to his diagnosis. He's overweight and we may have to switch him to a different diet but otherwise seems to be okay. Hopefully the "quarter portions" of wet food I've fed him intermittently didn't hurt in the interim.

Oct 29, 2017
Does any of your cats get skin rashes?

I noticed one on mine last week (its like a scaley spot where the skin oozed and dried and the fur is gone. The spot is maybe about the size of a nickel). Its difficult to get a good look at it but Im thinking this was a spider bite or something. Hes gotten this once before but it was a flea allergy response. I have been combing him like crazy trying to find fleas or evidence of fleas (which I know what to look for thanks to this forum.) but I cannot find any. No fleas or flea poop.

We have been getting spiders in the house and when I was able to get a look at it, I think I might have found a bite mark but its hard to tell. I scheduled an appointment with the vet that was supposed to be today but I cancelled it because it seems to be getting better and it doesnt seem to be bothering him at all. Im just curious as to how common these types of things are with cats.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Does any of your cats get skin rashes?

I noticed one on mine last week (its like a scaley spot where the skin oozed and dried and the fur is gone. The spot is maybe about the size of a nickel). Its difficult to get a good look at it but Im thinking this was a spider bite or something. Hes gotten this once before but it was a flea allergy response. I have been combing him like crazy trying to find fleas or evidence of fleas (which I know what to look for thanks to this forum.) but I cannot find any. No fleas or flea poop.

We have been getting spiders in the house and when I was able to get a look at it, I think I might have found a bite mark but its hard to tell. I scheduled an appointment with the vet that was supposed to be today but I cancelled it because it seems to be getting better and it doesnt seem to be bothering him at all. Im just curious as to how common these types of things are with cats.

From that description that seems more like fungi / mange to me, although a picture would definitely help. Assuming that's it, it's not dangerous but it's quite bothersome, and it's one of the very few things that cats can pass on to humans.

This is my baby, she's been with us about a year but still doesn't have a name.
2019-02-05.jpg

She clearly wants to be called Bananas. :D

Oct 29, 2017
From that description that seems more like fungi / mange to me, although a picture would definitely help. Assuming that's it, it's not dangerous but it's quite bothersome, and it's one of the very few things that cats can pass on to humans.

Mange? Really? Does this happen with indoor cats? He is indoor only, my house is clean and hes often cleaning himself (although, Im not sure he can reach where this spot is since its somewhat high on his chest area). Here is a pic:

Hgak23F.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Mange? Really? Does this happen with indoor cats? He is indoor only, my house is clean and hes often cleaning himself (although, Im not sure he can reach where this spot is since its somewhat high on his chest area). Here is a pic:

Hgak23F.jpg

Sorry, used the wrong English word; I meant tinea (which is also uncommon for household cats, but still).

Still, your pic doesn't look like either. It does look like a bite indeed, and that the hair loss was due to scratching. If it's getting better, he doesn't keep scratching it, and he behaves normally, you probably have nothing to worry about, other than keeping an eye on it and seeing how it evolves.

To end on a pleasant note: I can't stop watching this.

Oct 29, 2017
Sorry, used the wrong English word; I meant tinea (which is also uncommon for household cats, but still).

Still, your pic doesn't look like either. It does look like a bite indeed, and that the hair loss was due to scratching. If it's getting better, he doesn't keep scratching it, and he behaves normally, you probably have nothing to worry about, other than keeping an eye on it and seeing how it evolves.

Thanks. Yes, it doesnt seem to be bothering him, I havent even caught him scratching it but Im sure he does. I will keep an eye on it.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Oh my god, that is the cutest kitty ever.

This actually made a current affairs/comedy quiz show here in Australia. I didn't realise it went *that* viral.

My second favourite cat video to pop up recently:

I was a bit puzzled until I read the cats had trapped themselves. Someone replied that this information should be passed to TNR teams and I kind of have to agree! :D

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Just an update on Jugg: he's doing very good! Still trying to figure out his signs (he can be very subtle about wanting to play) but he's a very good boy. He sleeps at the edge of my bed every night looking out into the room and sits down on my shower mat while I'm in there which makes me want to believe he's trying to protect me while I'm "vulnerable." He hasn't gained any weight as far as I can tell but he hasn't really lost any either which is kind of hard to balance out when you own another cat that's skinny as a rail.

I keep a pet bed on the side of my desk and it's easily his favorite spot in the apartment. This evening I introduced him to bird videos on YT and he was agasp for half an hour.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Just an update on Jugg: he's doing very good! Still trying to figure out his signs (he can be very subtle about wanting to play) but he's a very good boy. He sleeps at the edge of my bed every night looking out into the room and sits down on my shower mat while I'm in there which makes me want to believe he's trying to protect me while I'm "vulnerable." He hasn't gained any weight as far as I can tell but he hasn't really lost any either which is kind of hard to balance out when you own another cat that's skinny as a rail.

I keep a pet bed on the side of my desk and it's easily his favorite spot in the apartment. This evening I introduced him to bird videos on YT and he was agasp for half an hour.

Ha, nice cat. He obviously likes you. Better hope he doesn't scratch up your screen though. Is it possible he's sitting by the shower because he's weird and maybe doesn't mind getting wet? Or perhaps he's showing that he wants to drink moving water? Mine are totally fine with bowls but one of my friends cats will only drink from a running fountain or tap.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Ha, nice cat. He obviously likes you. Better hope he doesn't scratch up your screen though. Is it possible he's sitting by the shower because he's weird and maybe doesn't mind getting wet? Or perhaps he's showing that he wants to drink moving water? Mine are totally fine with bowls but one of my friends cats will only drink from a running fountain or tap.

To clarify, when I said shower mat I meant the mat I keep outside of my tub so that I don't leave wet footsteps on the tile. He often meows at me while I'm in the shower, clearly concerned that I'm getting that wet stuff all over me.

Also, not worried about the monitor, he pads at it but doesn't use his claws. It's an old IPS that probably only has another year or two in it.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Ah, it didn't even click with me that it was the case, glad the kitties got free then. It just reminded me too much of this video:

To be fair who knows with cats if there's some part of that too. :D

To clarify, when I said shower mat I meant the mat I keep outside of my tub so that I don't leave wet footsteps on the tile. He often meows at me while I'm in the shower, clearly concerned that I'm getting that wet stuff all over me.

Aww. It reminds me of that video of a cat trying to save his owner from drowning when she's taking a bath, poor thing. You should reassure him so that he doesn't worry. :)

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips to get cats to drink more water? He also prefers dry food over wet food so should we remove the dry food entirely?

I looked at those water fountain things on Amazon but reviews say that the filters get dirty and moldy real quick.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Any tips to get cats to drink more water? He also prefers dry food over wet food so should we remove the dry food entirely?

I looked at those water fountain things on Amazon but reviews say that the filters get dirty and moldy real quick.

1) Did you separate water and food as per the OP?
2) Most of the water fountains we've had didn't get their filters dirty particularly quick, and they never got moldy. They're also easy to clean and don't need to be replaced very often. It depends on the cat whether they use it or not: some love them, some ignore them, and some seem to believe they're toys / swimming pools. :P

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
1) Did you separate water and food as per the OP?
2) Most of the water fountains we've had didn't get their filters dirty particularly quick, and they never got moldy. They're also easy to clean and don't need to be replaced very often. It depends on the cat whether they use it or not: some love them, some ignore them, and some seem to believe they're toys / swimming pools. :P

Yup the water is separate from the food and we have it in two places in the apartment. It's a goddamn process to get the older cat to drink. It's like a freakin ritual. I have to take him into the bathtub then shake the bowl of water since they ignore it if its still. Sometimes I have to pour out the entire bowl cause he likes watching the water drain and MAYBE he'll take a sip or two when I refill the bowl with fresh water.

Do you have a recommendation for a water fountain?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

My 2c on the food would be leave as is, and try different wet food options. We give out broth packs and tins of wet food to supplement the constant dry food supply, and they lap it up like it's a treat. Maybe it's a case of finding what yours like.

For the water, assuming it's clean (fully clean the bowl too from time to time, not just a rinse), it may be that yours want moving water from a tap or fountain. As I mentioned a few posts up, one of my buddies cats is like that, refuses to drink still water.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Zap is doing well now. He was docile from being weak I guess, the dude darts around everywhere and is constantly playing. I also found him laying next to my other cat, I think they've formed a bond. I thought she found him annoying but I guess looks can be deceiving

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yup the water is separate from the food and we have it in two places in the apartment. It's a goddamn process to get the older cat to drink. It's like a freakin ritual. I have to take him into the bathtub then shake the bowl of water since they ignore it if its still. Sometimes I have to pour out the entire bowl cause he likes watching the water drain and MAYBE he'll take a sip or two when I refill the bowl with fresh water.

Do you have a recommendation for a water fountain?

We currently have a CatMate one (gifted to us) that's super silent, our cats use it pretty often. It has several spots where they can drink from (pools at three different heights, plus the "waterfall") which is great for different cats' tastes.
It's plastic; depending on your budget, you might want to go for a metal / ceramic one for hygiene and ease of cleaning, but for that price it's a great starter fountain if you want to see how your cats react to it. Also, when choosing a fountain, check filter availability in advance, so that you don't bang your head against a wall when it's time to change them.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I think I made progress today. I fed the three cats and Zima actually came down to dine with Serena and Zap, only hissing at Serena once.

Heeeeere's Monty! Picked up this very social and affectionate boy yesterday evening.

CWCUHen.jpg

gwYlKny.jpg
Tuxedo cat! The little milk stache reminds me of my cat Serena. He's cute!

YrDnTtP.jpg

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
We just found what seems to be a sparrow chick huddled against a building wall as we were walking to the swimming pool, it must have fell from a nest, so we picked it up and went home instead. We're now waiting for the animal patrol to come for it.

The relevant part is that we were watching a video on how to feed it and it was quite funny that we already had everything necessary: corn flour (my SO has celiac's disease), a bit of cat food (self-explanatory :D), and needle-less syringes (from giving medicine to cats).

Dec 6, 2017
US
Here's my little weirdo. I adopted him about three years ago. He's about four years old and his name is Big Boy. He was sent to a shelter near from Egypt actually so he's originally from Giza and even has a little passport, it's cute as fuck.

rjvG6iO.jpg

H9StI6Q.jpg

Dec 6, 2017
US
That first pic. :D

"Soon."

My friends constantly tell me to start an Instagram for him, he's super weird even for a cat probably at least partially due to the fact he is deaf or nearly deaf. But at the end of the day, he's just a really affectionate cuddle machine.

The first picture was me drinking a beer on my porch and he was staring into oblivion like that with his paws up on the screen door for a good two minutes or so straight, it was hilarious. He does stuff like this a lot.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
My friends constantly tell me to start an Instagram for him, he's super weird even for a cat probably at least partially due to the fact he is deaf or nearly deaf. But at the end of the day, he's just a really affectionate cuddle machine.

The first picture was me drinking a beer on my porch and he was staring into oblivion like that with his paws up on the screen door for a good two minutes or so straight, it was hilarious. He does stuff like this a lot.

He does have a pretty funny expression, like he's perpetually surprised (or, well, at least surprised in these two pics). :D

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Adopted a black 1 year old two weeks ago. Took him a few days to come out from under the sink in the bathroom. Sweet as hell and we love him to death. He's beautiful and looks like a little Panther. Such a sweetie.

Chrizzy_81

Oct 28, 2017
England
Here's my girl Mindy:

6VPRNPOh.jpg

And here's my boy Neelix:

r5AXQPLh.jpg

They are 10 and 9 years respectively. Mindy likes games with cursors as she likes to bat the TV 😂

Last edited:

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else get the stare-down when they have a game controller in their hands instead of petting a cat?
20190708-222332.jpg

Dec 6, 2017
US
TransEuropaExpress has to have one of the silliest looking kitties I have seen. Such a cutie :D

He's such a good boy too. I can't post videos but pictures don't do his antics justice unfortunately!

Now I want to see the passport photo!

Unfortunately, there is no photo in it haha...but it does say shit like "My name is _____" like he personally filled it in xD

Anyone else get the stare-down when they have a game controller in their hands instead of petting a cat?
20190708-222332.jpg

Gorgeous kitty!

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Our cat has decided that she doesn't like any of her food anymore. She only eats dry food, and normally we alternate by giving her one type in the morning, and another type "for dinner". But now she only eats her dinner food, and even then not that much. And she pretty much doesn't touch her other food anymore. No idea what's going on. No other indication that she's sick or anything like that, but it's worrying me a bit.

We also recently found out there were mice in the apartment. We put out traps but since we cleared out their nesting space I haven't really seen any sign of them. But I wonder if the two are maybe somehow related? Seems unlikely but idk. What do

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Jensen had his first vet visit yesterday and he did great. Very sociable with the staff, didn't put up a fight, and no complaining outside of when they were getting samples from his ears and the cleaning that followed afterward, poor baby. I heard the most depressing sounds I've ever heard come out of a cat when they were treating him...not even meows, just tiny squeaks and chirps.

Unfortunately he has an ear infection so we were sent home with some ear drops that we'll have to administer twice a day for the next week and some cotton balls soaked in a cleaning solution that we'll use on Monday to clean his ears midway through treatment.

Otherwise he's a bit overweight (15.4 pounds, should be 13) and to our surprise we were told he's declawed. We had no idea because it wasn't listed on any of his paperwork from the shelter.

The wife and I were worried he was gonna hate us after the traumatic vet experience but after about thirty minutes he was back to his playful self. There was a small mouse toy in the "goodie bag" we were sent home and he was having a blast with that this morning...throwing it up in the air and batting it around.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Jensen had his first vet visit yesterday and he did great. Very sociable with the staff, didn't put up a fight, and no complaining outside of when they were getting samples from his ears and the cleaning that followed afterward, poor baby. I heard the most depressing sounds I've ever heard come out of a cat when they were treating him...not even meows, just tiny squeaks and chirps.

Unfortunately he has an ear infection so we were sent home with some ear drops that we'll have to administer twice a day for the next week and some cotton balls soaked in a cleaning solution that we'll use on Monday to clean his ears midway through treatment.

Otherwise he's a bit overweight (15.4 pounds, should be 13) and to our surprise we were told he's declawed. We had no idea because it wasn't listed on any of his paperwork from the shelter.

The wife and I were worried he was gonna hate us after the traumatic vet experience but after about thirty minutes he was back to his playful self. There was a small mouse toy in the "goodie bag" we were sent home and he was having a blast with that this morning...throwing it up in the air and batting it around.

Good stuff. It's a shame someone declawed him. What a horrific practice. Did you chip him?