• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

Admittedly this is because the toy mouse I threw bounced off the box and he was initially hiding in there to pounce, but I takes what I can get.

I think I need to do some toy rearrangement or something, I can't help but feel like I'm boring the poor guy. Maybe go out and buy him something fancy and electronic.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Admittedly this is because the toy mouse I threw bounced off the box and he was initially hiding in there to pounce, but I takes what I can get.

I think I need to do some toy rearrangement or something, I can't help but feel like I'm boring the poor guy. Maybe go out and buy him something fancy and electronic.

Frankly the best thing you can get for a cat is another cat. There's really no replacement for more feline companionship, on a developmental, social, and emotional level.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Frankly the best thing you can get for a cat is another cat. There's really no replacement for more feline companionship, on a developmental, social, and emotional level.

Breaks my heart a bit to read this because I know it's true, but the flat we're living in right now is absolutely too little to accommodate more than one cat, and my SO already clearly stated as such. So it's not in the cards, right now. Sadly.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Breaks my heart a bit to read this because I know it's true, but the flat we're living in right now is absolutely too little to accommodate more than one cat, and my SO already clearly stated as such. So it's not in the cards, right now. Sadly.

Same. The one bedroom apartment we're in now is fine for us and Jensen, but putting a second cat into the mix unfortunately won't work out right now. Once we get into a house (hopefully by the end of the year) we'll re-evaluate the situation.

I occasionally feel guilty about it, but just about anything is better than the small kennel he was in at the shelter.

Uh, you might not want to train your cat to ask for food while you're eating. Trust me on this; it's a really hard thing to untrain them later on. :D

(of course, "asking" for food is sometimes the lesser evil. One of our cats is a straight out food burglar and will always, always try to steal our food and run away with it. Sounds hilarious, gets tiring fast).

He wasn't really asking for food. We was lying on the floor the entire time we were eating dinner and hopped up on the chair after we were finished and were still sitting at the table. I had a little piece of chicken on my plate so I offered it to him but he wasn't interested.

I feel like if he were asking for food he would have been up on the chair the moment we sat down to eat.

Last edited:

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I'm extremely jealous of all of you being able to be around cats without dying from allergies.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Same. The one bedroom apartment we're in now is fine for us and Jensen, but putting a second cat into the mix unfortunately won't work out right now. Once we get into a house (hopefully by the end of the year) we'll re-evaluate the situation.

I occasionally feel guilty about it, but just about anything is better than the small kennel he was in at the shelter.

Yeah I relate. I also feel guilty at times, but she also has been adopted from an animal shelter, so she's leaps and bounds better with us already than where she used to be, that's for sure. Besides, we play a lot with her (super playful, she's a gamer like us) and have our attention on her all the time (whenever she wants it), and she has access to a balcony full of plants on which she can look at our neighbors' gardens where there's a lot of cats that come play around.
Our former next-door neighbor had a cute cat that I would sometimes let enter in our flat to let them play together a bit (I hated that neighbor, but his cat was adorable as hell), and sometimes she sniffs the door looking for him, I'm sure she misses him. I can't wait to move into a bigger flat, even so slightly, just to adopt another fur baby and let them be friends! Just gotta be patient.

Last edited:

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
One cat ownership requires more interaction with people. Toys just don't cut it. Without another cat buddy you just have to give him more attention.
My guy being the only cat and indoor only also led to weight gain. I couldn't let him graze anymore and had to ration his food.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017

And so it begins...

How big is your flat? We had 55qm (in total) spread across 2 rooms, it was easily manageable with two cats, just make sure to choose the right one.

He wasn't really asking for food. We was lying on the floor the entire time we were eating dinner and hopped up on the chair after we were finished and were still sitting at the table. I had a little piece of chicken on my plate so I offered it to him but he wasn't interested.

I feel like if he were asking for food he would have been up on the chair the moment we sat down to eat.
Ryu was a mall cat. He served his time next to tables. It took us 6-8 month to teach him stop pestering us, and even now sometimes his instinct kicks in.
One cat ownership requires more interaction with people. Toys just don't cut it. Without another cat buddy you just have to give him more attention.
My guy being the only cat and indoor only also led to weight gain. I couldn't let him graze anymore and had to ration his food.
Without Ryu we had to invest 1-2 hours a day into play time. Now its down to 15-30 minutes.

Cats want human interaction.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
How big is your flat? We had 55qm (in total) spread across 2 rooms, it was easily manageable with two cats, just make sure to choose the right one.

Definitely smaller than that. Around 35m² with something like 10m² of balcony, very handful during hot seasons to widen her horizons a bit, but I keep it close during cold ones. So roughly 45m² of total space but only 35 m² of actual living space.

Last edited:

Spanglo

Oct 29, 2017
Just found a cat cafe is opening a few blocks away from my place. Also just found out, it's not the first one in San Diego.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Anyone have any favorite cat toys they want to recommend? Thinking of buying Jensen something new this weekend but I don't want to go crazy with something that's $30+.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Anyone have any favorite cat toys they want to recommend? Thinking of buying Jensen something new this weekend but I don't want to go crazy with something that's $30+.

Cats don't differentiate between cheap and expensive. You can make a toy they'll enjoy for hours by crumping some aluminium foil paper into a ball (try to pack it densely, perhaps against a hard surface, so it's as round as possible and so they don't rip shreds of it off).

They typically like things that make noise when they move, but you have to balance that out with your sanity. We have a hard plastic ball with a bell inside that's noisy as hell and they love it, but it can drive you mad quite quickly. :D

Don't use lasers and such, or if you do, give them something solid to "catch" afterwars, otherwise they'll get frustrated.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
You may want to hit the pet store and grab a bunch of things, since it's hard to predict. Small mice like furry toys they can grab in their mouths are often popular. Hide them around your place. Maybe a tracks toy (ball in circular track to bat around), or a feather teaser at the end of a wand and string. Chew sticks are good too. A simple length of string is hard to beat, though that requires more human interaction.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Just found a cat cafe is opening a few blocks away from my place. Also just found out, it's not the first one in San Diego.

Cat cafes can be great. Last time i went was the last time i got to see my grandmother before she died and it was nice to see how happy such an environment made her. They had a bunch of new kittens at the time and i got a bunch of photos (but don't want to post them because they mean a lot).

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Cats don't differentiate between cheap and expensive.

This is so goddamn true!

Here's the list of Katamari's favorite toys:
- A plastic ball from a Kinder Surprise egg we got from way before we adopted her. She stole it from my SO's desk, and loves to play with it because it's a ball made of several pieces that fit together, but also has enough holes in it she can put the ball in her mouth and carry it around easily. And if we step on it, it doesn't break, it just disassemble itself and we easily can put it back - basically it's unbreakable.
- An orange plastic spiral thingie that was part of another Kinder Surprise egg. She stole that one from my SO's desk as well, it was her favorite toy in the whole world until she misplaced it and we never found it again D:
- A green plastic ribbon that is used to bundle the parcel we receive every time we order her cat food online. Literally a shitty green plastic ribbon, that I cut vertically into several parallel tiny green ribbons (she actually did that herself with her claws on the first one and saw it excited her even more when it had several "limbs", so I do it myself on the new ones now), that she loves playing with on many occasions. Every time we receive her cat food parcel, I throw the old one, and make a new one with the new plastic ribbon.
- A Bethesda fabric wristband that my SO brought back from E3 this year. She stole it from his desk, once again, and it's been her favorite new toy since.

Literally none of the many toys we specifically bought for her, no matter how expansive they were or weren't, reached the level of love and fun she has for those 4 items. And god knows she has a lot of toys! Also, I'm sure I'm missing on other stuff she decided to steal from us and became officially her toys. She loves to do that, and we don't mind indulging it, as long as it's safe for her. And as long as it's not my fucking eraser, she still wants it, years after I told her that was never gonna happen!

Last edited:

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Aluminum foil is a great cheap toy, our 4 cats love it. Our oldest cat is 10 and is so obsessed with it he comes running into the kitchen every time he hears me wrapping something in foil because he thinks he might get another toy :D

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Aluminum foil is a great cheap toy, our 4 cats love it. Our oldest cat is 10 and is so obsessed with it he comes running into the kitchen every time he hears me wrapping something in foil because he thinks he might get another toy :D
Haha same with mine! And as soon as I pull something out of the fridge wrapped in aluminum foil she looks at me like "Well? We're waiting."

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Favorite cat toys:

I've tried lots of other toys and the ones I listed are the only ones my kitty will even pay attention to. She especially loves the springs and "fun tubes". A prior cat I had really loved the Da Bird, my latest kitten she will play with it some but is far more obsessed with the springs and fun tube. She wants me to throw both springs and fun tubes and then she'll even pick them up and return them to me so I can throw them again. But man it can get tiresome when she wants 2+ hours of play time, a 2nd cat would really help with that but I can't really afford it as I get a specific breed to help with allergies (Devon Rex).

catbox.jpg

Oh with the Springs, sometimes I will take a file to the two ends if I feel they are a bit too sharp just to smooth it out a little.

Last edited:

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Favorite cat toys:

I've tried lots of other toys and the ones I listed are the only ones my kitty will even pay attention to. She especially loves the springs and "fun tubes". A prior cat I had really loved the Da Bird, my latest kitten she will play with it some but is far more obsessed with the springs and fun tube. She wants me to throw both springs and fun tubes and then she'll even pick them up and return them to me so I can throw them again. But man it can get tiresome when she wants 2+ hours of play time, a 2nd cat would really help with that but I can't really afford it as I get a specific breed to help with allergies (Devon Rex).

catbox.jpg

Oh with the Springs, sometimes I will take a file to the two ends if I feel they are a bit too sharp just to smooth it out a little.

Thanks! I keep seeing the huge versions of those springs that a cat can fit into, but I'll track down some of the smaller ones and try those as well as the tubes down the line.

Last edited:

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
The top of our natural paradise cat tree kinda broke (you can't screw the last pillar back on top therefore the top bed can't be put in place). It was the favourite one of all 5 trees. We fixed it by putting the top bed instead of the middle one, but still its not the same tree. We filed in a request for refund (yes it was fine for 1 year, but it shouldn't break that fast when it costs 100 euro).

So we ordered a new natural paradise tree today while waiting for an answer. Darn 29 kg are fucking heavy. And of course the dog refused to wait upstairs with the cats and had to come with me. So I had to carry the package and the dog upstairs. Dx Darn you!

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Those screw-in pillars look like the "Cat Craft 3-Story Cat Lookout" we bought for Jensen prior to adopting him.

Not the greatest quality, but we were quite ready to break the bank from the outset. We'll probably spring for something nicer in the future.

The biggest issue is that the it can get a little wobbly when he's at the top. I ended up putting the sack of litter at the bottom as a weight, though I'll eventually replace that with something a bit more permanent.

07ccf0fc-0c47-4fa3-afd9-faf2011796a8_1.85ae0f0ac73e2ba081744220994e48c1.jpeg

Spanglo

Oct 29, 2017
Cat cafes can be great. Last time i went was the last time i got to see my grandmother before she died and it was nice to see how happy such an environment made her. They had a bunch of new kittens at the time and i got a bunch of photos (but don't want to post them because they mean a lot).

Aww. what a nice memory.
Kittens would be awesome to play with, but playing with that level of cute would just make me want to get more cats. Maybe I should stay away ;)

SirCheese

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm hopefully adopting another kitten this weekend. I already have a 2 year old cat. The new kitty is 12 weeks old. What am I getting myself into?

SirCheese

Oct 27, 2017
So I picked up our new kitty yesterday. His name is Indiana(fosters chose the name) or Indy for short. He's extremely needy and meows for attention. I spent the first night sleeping on the floor of the room where he's staying.

Our resident cat has been hissing and growling by the door. But I'm hoping for a smooth transition.

Oct 29, 2017
So I picked up our new kitty yesterday. His name is Indiana(fosters chose the name) or Indy for short. He's extremely needy and meows for attention. I spent the first night sleeping on the floor of the room where he's staying.

Our resident cat has been hissing and growling by the door. But I'm hoping for a smooth transition.

Hey! Thats my cats name!

dqxwDu2.jpg

Anyway, whats a good way to get a cat to stop scratching furniture? Hes got a scratch post that he uses occasionally but he scratches at a rug and has destroyed a couple chairs in my house. Ive tried taping up the chairs for a few weeks and that got him to stop completely but I took the tape off and hes gone right back to where he left off.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
In a year or two I want to get a cat. A normal domestic shorthair because they're much healthier than pedigree. Any absolutely essential advice for new cat owners, I only have a goldfish as a pet right now.

I took in a pregnant stray 14 years ago now. She had 5 kittens, one died at age 4 of heart failure, one died last year at 13 of cancer and the others are now almost 14 and still going strong. Some cats are healthy and others are not, just like people.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Awww. How old is he? It's hard to tell size from photos but he seems around three months?

I took in a pregnant stray 14 years ago now. She had 5 kittens, one died at age 4 of heart failure, one died last year at 13 of cancer and the others are now almost 14 and still going strong. Some cats are healthy and others are not, just like people.

While that's true, with pedigree cats (and dogs) you often have to deal with specific hereditary problems on top, due to consanguinity / inbreeding.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

Just found this thread.
My favorite funny pic of my cat.

If I may, this is a recent photo of Chloe:
WGrm5Bdl.jpg

Weltall Zero Remember that lumpy gross thing the aforementioned Chloe had in the corner of her mouth? It looks like it's subsided significantly, to the point where it's barely visible. So relieved, though still confused. And even though her appetite had dropped off a little, it seems it's back in full force now, nagging continually for either food or laptime lol

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
If I may, this is a recent photo of Chloe:
WGrm5Bdl.jpg

Weltall Zero Remember that lumpy gross thing the aforementioned Chloe had in the corner of her mouth? It looks like it's subsided significantly, to the point where it's barely visible. So relieved, though still confused. And even though her appetite had dropped off a little, it seems it's back in full force now, nagging continually for either food or laptime lol

Really great to hear! Keep an eye on it but I'm sure it'll disappear soon. :)

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any experience of "kenneling" or "crating" cats? It's come up while I've been looking for ways of dealing with behavioural issues and while I know crate training dogs can be very beneficial I've never really heard of it for cats before.

Basically we're having problems with one of our cats not getting on well with the other 3. I'll try and summarize as best as possible to not make this too long lol. She's our second cat we got about 2 years ago and is now 4 years old (our first cat is a male and is now 10 and we got him about 2.5 years ago). We now also have a brother and sister pair who are about 1.5 years old we got 6 months ago.

The 4 year old girl has never been interested in socialising with other cats but has always tolerated our older cat, although they've had some clashes as he has some behavioural issues of his own we believe are due to neglect in his past home (he has a severe flea allergy and his previous owners nearly let him die from it before dumping him at a shelter, where he then also nearly died from cat flu while being rehabilitated). As such he has always been a bit unpredictable and it's like a switch flicks where he gets extremely aggressive. We never had too many incidents tho because the 4 year old was never interested in being around him.

When we got the brother and sister pair, the older male actually mellowed out a lot and has had far less outbursts and gets on pretty well with the pair, and actually the 4 year old is now much more tolerant of him bizarrely. The problem is the female of the pair *really* gets on the 4 year old's nerves by getting in her face all the time and not reading the signals to back off. We've been trying to manage it as best we can but we can tell the 4 year old is stressed as she now hisses every time she sees her, and if there's a way out she'll run. We're now concerned she may be overgrooming due to stress (although there's a chance it could be seasonal allergies so we're not 100% sure) as she has a couple of balding patches on her belly that look a bit irritated.

I've been thinking of going back to basics and reintroducing the 2 females following Jackson Galaxy's guides, but the problem is they're all outdoor cats and they all free feed, and there's a brother/sister pair in the mix so separating them into different rooms and giving them set mealtimes seems like a logistical nightmare lol. Just looking for any advice or experience with getting antisocial cats to tolerate younger cats who ignore social cues.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Really great to hear! Keep an eye on it but I'm sure it'll disappear soon. :)
Thank you! We really didn't notice until the last few days when my wife exclaimed it was definitely smaller. And got a good look at it this morning when she was meowing at us to be let into the shower :D
I know they're not exactly the same angle etc., but you can see the difference here (spoilered, even though it's not that gross):
zrEDmQUl.jpg
Left is 21st June, right is four days ago. So... 6 weeks?

Bonus, Chloe playing in the shower with a hair elastic. She loves (or hates) them for some reason:
IRXflGel.jpg
uYYi7ZLl.jpg

With her huge eyes, she almost looks like she's only a kitten, despite being almost 16.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thank you! We really didn't notice until the last few days when my wife exclaimed it was definitely smaller. And got a good look at it this morning when she was meowing at us to be let into the shower :D
I know they're not exactly the same angle etc., but you can see the difference here (spoilered, even though it's not that gross):
zrEDmQUl.jpg

Bonus, Chloe playing in the shower with a hair elastic. She loves (or hates) them for some reason:
IRXflGel.jpg
uYYi7ZLl.jpg

With her huge eyes, she almost looks like she's only a kitten, despite being almost 16.

That does look much better. Particularly, it seems fur is growing again, which means most of the skin is healed. I can't actually see if there's a sore in the small pink part or if it's just skin where fur hasn't grown back yet.

And yeah, cats seem to love hair elastics, they steal my SO's all the time. Probably a combination of owner's smell attaching to them plus being pleasant to chew or something. :D

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
zrEDmQUl.jpg

IRXflGel.jpg
uYYi7ZLl.jpg

16! Holy shit!!!!

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
That does look much better. Particularly, it seems fur is growing again, which means most of the skin is healed. I can't actually see if there's a sore in the small pink part or if it's just skin where fur hasn't grown back yet.

And yeah, cats seem to love hair elastics, they steal my SO's all the time. Probably a combination of owner's smell attaching to them plus being pleasant to chew or something. :D
I'm definitely happy that the fur is growing back too, or at least the sore only stretched the skin and it's returned back to it's original size. Either way, it's no longer distracting (and heartbreaking) to look at her now. My wife is over the moon :)

Yup! Mind you, the way she's standing makes her look a little stockier than normal. She underwent a huge bout of weight loss a few years ago for some reason but it doesn't seem to have affected her at all. Thought we'd lose her when that happened but she's still kicking (particularly when she's sitting on our laps and dreaming, it's so adorable!). I've only been with my wife (hence, only known these kitties) for 5 years but I'm 100% smitten with them.

For comparison, her (literally, from the same litter) sister. And our dog, obviously:
tsIIobfl.jpg

And in a rare show of co-operation, the two of them chowing down:
EMbGe5ul.jpg

hythloday

Oct 28, 2017
Well, Monty's been in our home for a month now. He's energetic, and affectionate. He seems to want to make Noelle his friend but she is very reluctant.

We've taken it slow - doing feeding on the either side of the door wasn't really feasible due to thick carpet that blocked sight and smell. So we had supervised "play sessions" where they were both in the same room for brief periods at first. Then it was a few hours, then it was for daytime only, then it was for day and evening before bed, and now he's "trusted" enough to have the run of the house, and has been for almost one week now.

She doesn't want to engage with him much but he seems to want her to play. The worst I've seen is him running after her and being "in her face" and rolling around on his back for her, after she hissed and walked away from him. There have been one or two incidents where she felt the need to swat. (He just looked at us like "Is she serious?")

I haven't heard growling, or howling, and no fights have broken out. I've gotten them to interact with a toy at the same time and take treats at the same time with no fuss. She seemed nervous about it but didn't run.

I don't expect them to be bosom buddies, but does any of this sound promising, after she's only had a week of real exposure to him?

Edit: okay, there's actually something that looks aggressive, now. Beyond the chasing and being in her face, Monty will come up behind her and bite at her. Usually at her butt. It's hard to see if he makes contact, but.. What the heck is up with that?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Well, Monty's been in our home for a month now. He's energetic, and affectionate. He seems to want to make Noelle his friend but she is very reluctant.

We've taken it slow - doing feeding on the either side of the door wasn't really feasible due to thick carpet that blocked sight and smell. So we had supervised "play sessions" where they were both in the same room for brief periods at first. Then it was a few hours, then it was for daytime only, then it was for day and evening before bed, and now he's "trusted" enough to have the run of the house, and has been for almost one week now.

She doesn't want to engage with him much but he seems to want her to play. The worst I've seen is him running after her and being "in her face" and rolling around on his back for her, after she hissed and walked away from him. There have been one or two incidents where she felt the need to swat. (He just looked at us like "Is she serious?")

I haven't heard growling, or howling, and no fights have broken out. I've gotten them to interact with a toy at the same time and take treats at the same time with no fuss. She seemed nervous about it but didn't run.

I don't expect them to be bosom buddies, but does any of this sound promising, after she's only had a week of real exposure to him?

Edit: okay, there's actually something that looks aggressive, now. Beyond the chasing and being in her face, Monty will come up behind her and bite at her. Usually at her butt. It's hard to see if he makes contact, but.. What the heck is up with that?

No growling at all (and only a few hisses) is amazing, and probably a testament of how textbook perfectly you've gone about it. Hats off to you guys! It's very, very promising indeed. :)

Kittens wanting to play with adults all the time, and adults not being particularly thrilled, is how it typically goes. It'll probably be like that until he grows up a bit and mellows out some of that endless crazy kitty energy. Some cats are more tolerant of kittens, licking them clean and such, although among spayed cats, it's (perhaps counterintuitively) almost always the males that do this.

hythloday

Oct 28, 2017
No growling at all (and only a few hisses) is amazing, and probably a testament of how textbook perfectly you've gone about it. Hats off to you guys! It's very, very promising indeed. :)

Kittens wanting to play with adults all the time, and adults not being particularly thrilled, is how it typically goes. It'll probably be like that until he grows up a bit and mellows out some of that endless crazy kitty energy. Some cats are more tolerant of kittens, licking them clean and such, although among spayed cats, it's (perhaps counterintuitively) almost always the males that do this.

That makes me feel better, thank you.

I am still concerned because she hasn't been her usual outgoing, vocal self since he's appeared. We are taking care to give her cuddles and treats, to reassure her, but the biting is still REALLY worrying. When he does it, she doesn't generally fight back except for a hiss and a swat, and then just tries to leave the situation.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That makes me feel better, thank you.

I am still concerned because she hasn't been her usual outgoing, vocal self since he's appeared. We are taking care to give her cuddles and treats, to reassure her, but the biting is still REALLY worrying. When he does it, she doesn't generally fight back except for a hiss and a swat, and then just tries to leave the situation.

Didn't see the bite edit while I was replying, sorry. Biting is often playful with cats, especially if it's "light biting", which can be more painful to us due to more delicate skin and lack of fur (which is why cats must be taught not to play with human hands). It can even be a form of showing affecting, although admittedly that's more frequently from adults to kittens, when grooming them. Without seeing what it looks like it's hard to ascertain; can you describe it in more detail, or even better, take a video of it?

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Apologies for quoting myself, got kinda buried.

Adding cat pic tax as penance/for attention 😝

Does anyone have any experience of "kenneling" or "crating" cats? It's come up while I've been looking for ways of dealing with behavioural issues and while I know crate training dogs can be very beneficial I've never really heard of it for cats before.

Basically we're having problems with one of our cats not getting on well with the other 3. I'll try and summarize as best as possible to not make this too long lol. She's our second cat we got about 2 years ago and is now 4 years old (our first cat is a male and is now 10 and we got him about 2.5 years ago). We now also have a brother and sister pair who are about 1.5 years old we got 6 months ago.

The 4 year old girl has never been interested in socialising with other cats but has always tolerated our older cat, although they've had some clashes as he has some behavioural issues of his own we believe are due to neglect in his past home (he has a severe flea allergy and his previous owners nearly let him die from it before dumping him at a shelter, where he then also nearly died from cat flu while being rehabilitated). As such he has always been a bit unpredictable and it's like a switch flicks where he gets extremely aggressive. We never had too many incidents tho because the 4 year old was never interested in being around him.

When we got the brother and sister pair, the older male actually mellowed out a lot and has had far less outbursts and gets on pretty well with the pair, and actually the 4 year old is now much more tolerant of him bizarrely. The problem is the female of the pair *really* gets on the 4 year old's nerves by getting in her face all the time and not reading the signals to back off. We've been trying to manage it as best we can but we can tell the 4 year old is stressed as she now hisses every time she sees her, and if there's a way out she'll run. We're now concerned she may be overgrooming due to stress (although there's a chance it could be seasonal allergies so we're not 100% sure) as she has a couple of balding patches on her belly that look a bit irritated.

I've been thinking of going back to basics and reintroducing the 2 females following Jackson Galaxy's guides, but the problem is they're all outdoor cats and they all free feed, and there's a brother/sister pair in the mix so separating them into different rooms and giving them set mealtimes seems like a logistical nightmare lol. Just looking for any advice or experience with getting antisocial cats to tolerate younger cats who ignore social cues.

The "menace":
d1Mf8BO.jpg

Her brother:
IbI79kJ.jpg

The anxious one:
J3r2S33.jpg

The "older gent":
ARlyLiE.jpg

hythloday

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't see the bite edit while I was replying, sorry. Biting is often playful with cats, especially if it's "light biting", which can be more painful to us due to more delicate skin and lack of fur (which is why cats must be taught not to play with human hands). It can even be a form of showing affecting, although admittedly that's more frequently from adults to kittens, when grooming them. Without seeing what it looks like it's hard to ascertain; can you describe it in more detail, or even better, take a video of it?

I can try to get a video but it's been quick so far.

Usually Noelle is sitting upright, or walking by. He'll come up behind her, quietly, and lean his head forward and make a "chomp!" motion at her butt. His ears aren't flat, he's not growling, and he's not pouncing on or laying on her to restrain her. I can't even tell if he's even making contact with his teeth or if he's just making the biting motion. For what it's worth he DOES sometimes bite my hands if he's playing and I respond with a "No!" and stopping all play with him, so he will hopefully learn that biting isn't to his benefit.

I've seen cats grapple and wrestle and play-bite, and I THINK he's trying to get her to respond and do that, but I'm still unsure.

Imagine if you walked up to your wife and casually (but quickly) leaned your face close and bit her on the shoulder. That's kinda what's happening.

I really appreciate the advice in this thread!!

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Apologies for quoting myself, got kinda buried.

Adding cat pic tax as penance/for attention 😝

The "menace":
d1Mf8BO.jpg

Her brother:
IbI79kJ.jpg

The anxious one:
J3r2S33.jpg

The "older gent":
ARlyLiE.jpg

First of all, do not kennel cats under pretty much any circumstance. They're not dogs and it will only succeed in making anxiety levels get worse.

This is a somewhat tough situation to handle because both of the involved cats are female, which tend not to get along too well due to territoriality. On the other hand, it seems the younger one just wants to play rather than actually challenge the older one, which is pretty typical and should be easier to handle than a deep-seated rivalry.

Things you can try:
- Reintroducing them (as you mention).
- Play a lot with the younger one to tire her out and make her less interested in chasing the other to play. Redirect play to a cat fishing pole or similar when you see her starting to do it.
- Calming herbs like valerian root.

Unfortunately there's no silver bullet when it comes to cats not getting along, and we have similar problems of our own. Aby, the physically smallest female but the most rebellious / unruly, seems completelly intent on bullying Tigris, one of the other females, whenever she's distracted. This does seem to be a mean-spirited attempt to challenge her, rather than play (Tigris is pretty much the alpha / matriatch of the house). This has gone on for a long time and we're quite exhausted about it ourselves, so we're even considering finding Aby a new home as a last ditch solution to spare Tigris from the constant stress. :/

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
For what it's worth he DOES sometimes bite my hands if he's playing and I respond with a "No!" and stopping all play with him,

This is good, but just to make sure, you're not playing with your hands with him, are you? If so, you should switch to a toy / fishing pole / etc. Cats just bite and scratch what they play with; the only (and the proper) way to avoid it is not playing with your hands.

I've seen cats grapple and wrestle and play-bite, and I THINK he's trying to get her to respond and do that, but I'm still unsure.

That sounds very plausible. Unless she's actually upset by it I wouldn't bother.

Imagine if you walked up to your wife and casually (but quickly) leaned your face close and bit her on the shoulder.

... I kind of do that all the time... :D

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a recent picture of Shadow because damn she's adorable. :D

Also, the bump I felt in her back after her rabies vaccine completely disappeared. So that one less anxiety inducing thing to worry about!

7NcSVwe.jpg

Last edited: