• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
You mean like how FFXII:TZA, Dissidia:FF NT, KH 1.5/2.5/2.8 etc.

Are those weird being only on PlayStation too?

Atlus isn't the only one who does this. Square also has favoritism and contracts with Sony.

Capcom, Namco, Sega are all free game and they release their games everywhere. Square and Atlus, and companies like Falcom has rarely stepped outside of the PlayStation eco system outside of spinoffs and offshots. All the major games are on PlayStation. So I don't understand what you're talking about.
KH is absolutely weird, yes.

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Characters are not shown as role models at all though the game, so I don't think that's the biggest issue. The biggest issue IMO is using Erica's gender as a punchline and having her identified as male on the art book as well as having dreams only male have during the game. That's disrespectful and gratuitously offensive. It really doesn't add anything to the plot at all.
No disagreements at all, but like I said earlier as well, sometimes people throw subtle shade at her. I still remember this part:

Her and Vincent are watching wrestling on TV, and they exchange words, and Vincent says, "I don't think a girl like you..." or something along those lines.
It's a non-statement until you realize later what he actually meant, which does make it a problem. I can't remember any other specific examples at the moment, but that one's stayed with me for years because it's the typical Japanese game way of foreshadowing. A retroactive punchline, in this case.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
God damn it. The worst popular game of last generation (and extremely sexist, even by video game standards, to boot) gets a port? Why? Why not let it die?

Probably because millions of people really liked the game and every game that is released isn't always going to be 100% PC for everything and it does not need to lead to huge social issues if that is the case. Are there issues with it yup, but.....

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
No disagreements at all, but like I said earlier as well, sometimes people throw subtle shade at her. I still remember this part:

Her and Vincent are watching wrestling on TV, and they exchange words, and Vincent says, "I don't think a girl like you..." or something along those lines.
It's a non-statement until you realize later what he actually meant, which does make it a problem. I can't remember any other specific examples at the moment, but that one's stayed with me for years because it's the typical Japanese game way of foreshadowing. A retroactive punchline, in this case.

She also mentions at one point, when the guys are all talking about how they've been getting nightmares, that she's been having them too, and that surprises them since only men are supposed to get them.

enMTW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably because millions of people really liked the game and every game that is released isn't always going to be 100% PC for everything and it does not need to lead to huge social issues if that is the case. Are there issues with it yup, but.....

Sometimes people like things that are bad. There are greater obligation to society at hand here. Making a few bucks can wait.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

These are the lines that were said :
  • When Erica expresses interest in joining a women's wrestling team, Vincent claims it would be impossible. She misunderstands and says that she's strong, but Vincent explains they wouldn't let her in in the first place.
  • Erica tells Vincent he needs to learn how a girl's heart works and how a woman is always hoping someone will come sweep them away. Vincent then comments that he'd be more convinced if a woman was telling him this

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 without Xbox One is kind of weird. Depends on what the 360 breakdown was and whether Atlus is looking at Xbox One numbers and determining it not worth it.

It can't be an install base issue with the Vita version sitting there, so it would have to be an audience and sales potential one.

I wouldn't consider this weird since this is Atlus. What has Atlus actually released on XB1 this gen? Just looked it up, and I only see Rock of Ages II (never heard of it)

None of those games were on 360 though

And I wouldn't be surprised if they game ends up coming to XB1 in the West...they did work with MS to make Catherine available on BC and have put it on sale quite a bit so it's not like they don't have an audience or means to bring it there

That wasn't my point. I was directly talking about what he said regarding these games not being on X1 not making any sense when there are other examples.

This one is staying on PS4/Vita and people just need to let it go. Nothing's going to change in the West.

To add to this, a better example would probably be Nier Automata, since they are trying to bring up a 360 multiplatform release that went PS4/PlayStation exclusive this gen. I don't even see this coming to Steam, so I really don't expect it on XB1.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

I'd be shocked if the game has hit multiple millions. Heck, I'd be incredibly pleasantly surprised if it's hit one million. I love the game and am super happy about the remaster, but I think you're greatly overestimating how popular it is. It doesn't need to be all that popular either thankfully, since it needs nowhere near as high a budget as a million seller.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Surprised people still haven't learned that Japanese games don't sell on Xbox. If you want Japanese games get yourself a switch or ps4.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I can't wait for more transphobic content!
Yeah I love the game but I really hope someone tells them to change that shit. The transphobic joke was cut from the Persona 3 movie so clearly not everyone in Japan thinks that's hilarious. Hopefully that made it back to ATLUS.
God damn it. The worst popular game of last generation (and extremely sexist, even by video game standards, to boot) gets a port? Why? Why not let it die?

Despite my complaints with how the story handles Erica I still love the game, story, and cast.

I want them to improve not throw the whole thing away.

enMTW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I love the game but I really hope someone tells them to change that shit. The transphobic joke was cut from the Persona 3 movie so clearly not everyone in Japan thinks that's hilarious. Hopefully that made it back to ATLUS.

Despite my complaints with how the story handles Erica I still love the game, story, and cast.

I want them to improve not throw the whole thing away.

You are more forgiving than I am. I don't see virtue in salvaging this work. The transphobia can be solved for but the pervasive sexism is imbedded too deep to deal with.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
I'd be shocked if the game has hit multiple millions. Heck, I'd be incredibly pleasently surprised if it's big one million. I love the game and am super happy about the remaster, but I think you're greatly overestimating how popular it is. It doesn't need to be all that popular either thankfully, since it needs nowhere near as high a budget as a million seller.

You're probably right, I'm just sick of so many gamers out there making huge social issues out of every off-key or insensitive thing that games may include in them. Some things are blatantly insensitive and offensive and I get that they should be more careful with some aspects, but.... Like you said, these middle tier games are important for the industry and the more people beat up every single creative decision or story angles creators take, I can only see it leading to more and more just throwing their hands up and saying it's not worth it.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You're probably right, I'm just sick of so many gamers out there making huge social issues out of every off-key or insensitive thing that games may include in them. Some things are blatantly insensitive and offensive and I get that they should be more careful with some aspects, but.... Like you said, these middle tier games are important for the industry and the more people beat up every single creative decision or story angles creators take, I can only see it leading to more and more just throwing their hands up and saying it's not worth it.
I dunno about all that sexist talk (it's been a while), but surely if Catherine really needs to sell that much and pissing people off with transphobic content is dangerous for their projections then they can simply not have transphobic shit at all?

Not every game needs to be progressive, but avoiding harmful humor that dehumanizes oppressed groups is the bare minimum we should expect. Asking people to ignore these issues instead is absurd.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
In regards to Erica, it isn't much of a defense, but at least Vincent is clearly painted as being a jerk, and Tobey as immature. She's a good character surrounded by jerks, as opposed to the caricatures in P5, who are just bad.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to Erica, it isn't much of a defense, but at least Vincent is clearly painted as being a jerk, and Tobey as immature. She's a good character surrounded by jerks, as opposed to the caricatures in P5, who are just bad.

I think this would hold up well, and was essentially my position, but the game itself appears to go out of its way to question the authenticity of Erica's femaleness, which is pretty shitty.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweet. Better get your luckiest underpants ready Vincent, cuz we're doing this again.

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017
I think this would hold up well, and was essentially my position, but the game itself appears to go out of its way to question the authenticity of Erica's femaleness, which is pretty shitty.
It would be really bad, if they didn't establish the friendship the group had and that they grew up together. The artbook on the other hand is really bad.

The sexism thing is hilarious though, someone either didn't play the game or didn't understand what it's about and what topics are part of it.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
Catherine is a game about toxic masculinity and sexism. It is not itself toxically masculine or sexist for the most part (though it has a couple problems).

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
There were definitely aspects of representation and attitudes which were disappointing in Catherine and indeed Persona 5 but I think it's wonderful that Atlus have the bravery to tackle themes such as adult relationships that are seemingly seen as too controversial or risky by the vast majority of mid and large studios given the absence of games focused on romance, relationships or adult life compared to other media. I hope people keep in mind how far they venture outside of the conventional safe zone for plot and themes in video games when criticising them, if the remaster includes a rewrite I'd hope and expect some of the lines at the expense of Erica would be reconsidered. They deserve the opportunity at least.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Well(major spoilers)
Boss controls the nightmares, and he's kind of an old fashioned jerk. So it could be a meta commentary... or I'm giving the team too much credit.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It would be really bad, if they didn't establish the friendship the group had and that they grew up together. The artbook on the other hand is really bad.

The sexism thing is hilarious though, someone either didn't play the game or didn't understand what it's about and what topics are part of it.

What sexism thing? You sorta lost me.

P.S.

Oh, some people think the game is sexist. Gotcha.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Erica is that literally everyone in the game that knows about her past and has something to say about it sees her as a man, so there's absolutely no way to tell what the writers have to say on the matter. Couple that with Persona 3 being made by the same people and... Yeah.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Criticizing Catherine for being sexist misses the entire point/plot threads of the game. Some of these characters are intentionally shitty and the game is about their lives. Do we call Mad Men sexist? No, even if the characters are, the show is depicting a time period/pov of the characters.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hehe, the one thing I'm most excited for this will be to see this at EVO again. If they are adding online battles, I wonder if there will be stage rebalancing.

Oct 25, 2017
Just to let you fellow sheep know that I've put my name down for the Official Thread so if any of you feel like wanting to add anything closer or queries to the time just give me a bell. I'm going to make all of you get a damn good page!

DBLO7

Permanently banned for alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2017
God damn it. The worst popular game of last generation (and extremely sexist, even by video game standards, to boot) gets a port? Why? Why not let it die?.

HAHA WHAT? It's a great puzzle game highly popular throughout the competitive field.

Read other's comments pointing your opinion out of the water

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Sounds good. Have to say I'm surprised that the Vita is getting a port (at this late stage) instead of at least the Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
..it doesn't even have a release date yet?

I double checked with Moon since people were claiming games for 2018 and this is guaranteed to come out within a year from now for sure (as in the rules) so I asked just to make sure. Catherine is a game I am quite passionate about so going to give it a damn good official thread and make sure everything gets checked.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017

It's been a while, but I agree. if I remember correctly, Erica herself was depicted as a fun, sweet person who the male cast react inexplicably towards for the majority of the game. When the twist was revealed, I felt more sympathy towards her due to having such jerk friends, and admiration due to the fact that she seems to take it in stride, choosing to be cheery and forgiving.

If anything, the game forced the player to see Erica as a genuine person regardless of her gender, and reevaluate themselves at the twist to realize her gender changes nothing about her. The player can choose to a.) Be accepting towards her as they've done throughout the entire game, b.) Reject her in bigoted disgust like her friends, blind and unaccepting to her as a person beyond her gender.

While the negative light her friends cast on her lead some to think the game is sexist (and it could be construed that way), the positive portrayal of Erica herself makes me think there is more nuance than that.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I double checked with Moon since people were claiming games for 2018 and this is guaranteed to come out within a year from now for sure (as in the rules) so I asked just to make sure. Catherine is a game I am quite passionate about so going to give it a damn good official thread and make sure everything gets checked.
Well, so long as I can help. I'm kind of a fan. :P

DBLO7

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
She also mentions at one point, when the guys are all talking about how they've been getting nightmares, that she's been having them too, and that surprises them since only men are supposed to get them.

wow yeah i totally forgot about that point but when i first heard it i thought some females get it too, just the ones who do not have pure intentions over others. Erica being "male" is not a big deal to me, story wise as it's primarily about vincent coming to terms with Catherine and Katherine

DBLO7

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Why Full Body and not Full Bodied? Anyway I got Catherine from PSPlus on PS3 I think - always meant to fire it up. Catherine: Full Bodied just works better for me but oh well.

i believe it's Full Body as stated in the annoucement because of a type of wine. i don't remember how that alcohol fits in with the story other than all getting drunk every night, vincent meet Katherine, and all hell breaks loose for vincent

Oct 25, 2017
I am definitely excited with the additional online battles. I am going to invest big time on this scene and can't wait to see others doing the same and all the intense madhouse it will bring. The local scene on this was crazily intense.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally a big fan of Erica, and since they're adding stuff anyway, it'd be nice to have a few more scenes with her. Her english voice is really good, too, and that comes from a new Chie hater. Hopefully she'll come back for the remaster, if they don't include dual audio.