• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HONDA

Oct 27, 2017
never played it but always thought the games art style looked interesting.
Might finally check it out on PS4

Oct 25, 2017
I am definitely curious what the personality of the third girl will be in with this chapter and how she can relate to the themes of the game and with Vincent.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I am definitely curious what the personality of the third girl will be in with this chapter and how she can relate to the themes of the game and with Vincent.
It says in the OP.

• [There is a new] third "Catherine" named Rin (voiced by Aya Hirano). She is a pianist at Vincent's regular bar, and has an exceedingly honest and gentle personality. Rin's involvement in the story will introduce new branches for the other two "Catherines."

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's possible that if/when the game is announced for the West, it will be releasing on more platforms such as Xbox One. It's fairly common for a game to be announced for PS4/Vita in Japan and then an XB1 version is announced along with the localization
Although I have a ps4 I still hope for an Xbox version. Fingers crossed.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it needs to come to the Switch, but the currently announced platforms are just weird. Atlus is betting pretty big on the Vita this year, I wonder if there's enough of a buying audience still to make them happy.

The margins on a Vita release must be so high that it could bomb and be fine.

thanks to atlus so we can get more posts like this. So much concern

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it needs to come to the Switch, but the currently announced platforms are just weird. Atlus is betting pretty big on the Vita this year, I wonder if there's enough of a buying audience still to make them happy.

The margins on a Vita release must be so high that it could bomb and be fine.
I really hope it doesnt keep you up at night, thinking about how "weird" the platform choice is

jordannhowe

Oct 27, 2017
Catherine is one of my very favourite games ever. This, even more so than some upcoming new stuff, has jumped up to become my most anticipated title.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well(major spoilers)
Boss controls the nightmares, and he's kind of an old fashioned jerk. So it could be a meta commentary... or I'm giving the team too much credit.
I kinda think they went this route too, but the art book otoh was a total fuck up.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely in on picking up the PS4 remaster when it releases. Catherine is one of my favorite games. Also the Vita complaining is an interesting thing to debate, sure the Vita is basically dead in the west, but still strong in JP. Either way, great to see Catherine get some love with some additional content!

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
In regards to Erica, it isn't much of a defense, but at least Vincent is clearly painted as being a jerk, and Tobey as immature. She's a good character surrounded by jerks, as opposed to the caricatures in P5, who are just bad.
I think that could have worked if they had someone calling Tobey out on his bullshit. They call Vincent out throughout the course of the game.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder why they decided to do this remake,i'm not complaining at all but just curious.
Day 1 anyway,just like before.

Strawhat_Do

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the limited edition of Catherine a few years back... I never had a chance to really get into it but i'll give it another try...

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, it's funny as hell that when someone mentions anything about the platforms it's almost like an instinct to throw out SMTV like that matters to anything. This having a Vita port is pretty weird and random. There's nothing wrong with that or anything, but ain't no one telling the truth if they say they thought a remake of Catherine would get a Vita port in 2018 lol.

Oct 25, 2017
You're probably right, I'm just sick of so many gamers out there making huge social issues out of every off-key or insensitive thing that games may include in them. Some things are blatantly insensitive and offensive and I get that they should be more careful with some aspects, but.... Like you said, these middle tier games are important for the industry and the more people beat up every single creative decision or story angles creators take, I can only see it leading to more and more just throwing their hands up and saying it's not worth it.

If a designer doesn't want to make a game because they got criticized for a really bigoted portrayal of trans people (and a general attitude of permissive transphobia by people around her), then I don't think much was lost.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to Erica, it isn't much of a defense, but at least Vincent is clearly painted as being a jerk, and Tobey as immature. She's a good character surrounded by jerks, as opposed to the caricatures in P5, who are just bad.

I can agree with this. Erica is a good character that the cast (and the game itself) treat horribly. Honestly, the absolute worst thing to me is how the game...

plays into the whole "transwomen are trying to trick men" narrative during the Katherine ending. Absolutely shameful.

While I really enjoyed the game, this part really soured my experience of it. I'm going to skip this port personally. Modern Atlus seriously needs to step up their game when it comes to LGBT characters.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
You're probably right, I'm just sick of so many gamers out there making huge social issues out of every off-key or insensitive thing that games may include in them. Some things are blatantly insensitive and offensive and I get that they should be more careful with some aspects, but.... Like you said, these middle tier games are important for the industry and the more people beat up every single creative decision or story angles creators take, I can only see it leading to more and more just throwing their hands up and saying it's not worth it.

Don't be racist. Don't be sexist. Don't be transphobic. I would love to say that this is a very, very low ceiling, but it seems like game developers REALLY struggle with these guidelines.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
SMT V exclusivity is weirder than this.
How so? It's been on Nintendo handhelds last generation.

Vita is a legacy platform in the west and becoming less revelant in Japan by the week.

A big game on a new hot platform like the Switch isn't that surprising.

I'm not shocked at the Switch snub here, more shocked at the Vita inclusion lol.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
As a matter of fact, Catherine and Persona 5 don't share engine. Catherine's engine is Gamebryo, Persona 5 uses a Atlus internal engine.

I warned people in the speculation thread to not expect a Switch version because Catherine ran on Gamebryo, an engine last updated in 2012, but I got dogpiled, and now everyone is working in the salt mines.

I don't actually know if they've continued with Gamebryo, but the shot they released so far looks like the same engine. I would've expected some subtle changes in the toon shaders or lighting if this was ported to a new engine. Since Gamebryo already supports PC, I suppose getting it to run on the PS4 wouldn't be so bad, assuming they have the source code. In 2014 the Korean company that bought Gamebryo was talking about XB1 and PS4 support, but nothing on their site alludes to that since then. Maybe Atlus worked with them directly to get an updated version?

Oct 31, 2017
daaamn 30 pages for a catherine remaster/soft remake? I knew the game had a cult following but I didn't think it was this popular! not that I'm complaining!!

zephyrcian

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
As a matter of fact, Catherine and Persona 5 don't share engine. Catherine's engine is Gamebryo, Persona 5 uses a Atlus internal engine.

No no. I mean this version of Catherine is using P5's engine since it's a remake and not a remaster. They have to utilize something to port the game over and they're obviously using the P5 engine since it's on PS4, which adds to it being on Vita.

But hey, what do I know. I just think it make P5's chances more likely to be on Vita now. I mean I always figured the remaster would be like P3 FES and it would be on PS4 only but after Catherine being on PS4/Vita, I'm now suspecting it'll also be on Vita.

Oct 25, 2017
As far as Vincent being a dick to Erica, the problem is that him being a dick in this respect doesn't go examined, and also that he's far from the only source of transphobia in-universe.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I tried out Catherine after loving Persona 5 but I really dislike puzzle games so I gave up after the second puzzle level. I probably would have continued if the game was more of a visual novel or story based game but these remaster additions may tempt me to give it another try.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Good ol' Troy Baker. They should be able to get him back for this, right? I remember they had to find a new Kanji for the later P4 spinoffs.

Laura Bailey as Catherine will be much harder to replace.

Actually, most of the Critical Role cast is in this game (Matt, Laura, Travis, and Liam), that's kinda weird.