• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
LBGT people in Japanese media are treated like a joke more often than not.
Hell I am struggling to think of a Japanese game that doesnt do thIs.
There must be some but I can't think of any.

Both niers.

The house in fata Morgana.

Also Laura Kate Dale had a really good Twitter thread on why the games treatment of Erica is pretty terrible.

Last edited:

Deleted member 932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both niers.

The house in fata Morgana.

Also Laura Kate Dale had a really good Twitter thread on why the games treatment of Erica is pretty terrible.

Yep, those tweets summarize the issue pretty nicely. Kinda surprised that there isn't much talk around this topic (perhaps because it was buried in one of the endings); I remember when it came out some heralded Catherine as a "mature" game, while it is anything but.

It also unfortunate in that the gameplay is pure bliss. Really conflicted about the whole thing, as I said I really want to buy it on Vita but at the same time I'd like more people, especially on these forums, to partake the conversation.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Though about that "gag" ending I kinda remembered it more as him being pissed at erica for not telling him first instead of being grossed out seeing that they were still together in the end, but it's been awhile since I played it. Which I felt was a perfectly fair character flaw to have seeing that the game's general theme is how people hurt each other by not being truthful.

But yeah in general not great.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, those tweets summarize the issue pretty nicely. Kinda surprised that there isn't much talk around this topic (perhaps because it was buried in one of the endings); I remember when it came out some heralded Catherine as a "mature" game, while it is anything but.

It also unfortunate in that the gameplay is pure bliss. Really conflicted about the whole thing, as I said I really want to buy it on Vita but at the same time I'd like more people, especially on these forums, to partake the conversation.

Now that the game is releasing for a second time, I'm really hoping that more people will become aware of its issues with LGBT characters. Having them widely known and discussed would be a good first step to future titles (even outside of Atlus) being better about them.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing how they treated their gay characters in P5?

I doubt it.

I still like atlus a lot but if their trend of including incredibly homophobic and transphobic bits into their games continue they might become a company I'm unable to support.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Though about that "gag" ending I kinda remembered it more as him being pissed at erica for not telling him first instead of being grossed out seeing that they were still together in the end, but it's been awhile since I played it. Which I felt was a perfectly fair character flaw to have seeing that the game's general theme is how people hurt each other by not being truthful.
I didn't want to post the screenshot since there might be people who haven't played the game reading this thread, but I feel like the ending makes it very clear that they're still together after the revelation. It feels like I comes off as an extremely tasteless lazy joke, rather than a statement that their relationship is impossible to work.

I have hope that with a particularly sensitive hand doing another localization pass on the script, all these elements can be smoothed out, but the countless disappointments of Persona 5's localization doesn't give me hope.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't want to post the screenshot since there might be people who haven't played the game reading this thread, but I feel like the ending makes it very clear that they're still together after the revelation. It feels like I comes off as an extremely tasteless lazy joke, rather than a statement that their relationship is impossible to work.

I have hope that with a particularly sensitive hand doing another localization pass on the script, all these elements can be smoothed out, but the countless disappointments of Persona 5's localization doesn't give me hope.

As nice as it would be, the issues are with the script itself. I don't know how they could be localized without deviating completely. I also have no idea if Atlus USA's translators even care about these sort of issues...

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone tell me what is this game about and why so much hype?

Is this as good as Persona?
As a story, it's better. As a game, it's a fun block-pushing puzzler that I would never compare to a large RPG.

The biggest flaw with it is that the story and gameplay don't meaningfully complement each other, even if they're both fun. It's like if you were watching a great movie and every 20 minutes someone stopped it and said "OK, now play Tetris for 20 minutes," and then after that stopped your game and went back to the movie. The gameplay is literally all dream sequences with a tenuous impact on the actual story. The gameplay and story might both be good, but the way they're put together is disjointed.

Last edited:

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
famitsu cover featuring the 3rd Catherine, Rin.
DRf5F7eVwAEy1IN.jpg:large

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
She really makes me think of a an angelic Catherine, so I think she's either an angel or its a misdirect and she's a haraguro. She has a background though. Did Catherine ever get any background? I remember her being super mysterious.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
She really makes me think of a an angelic Catherine, so I think she's either an angel or its a misdirect and she's a haraguro. She has a background though. Did Catherine ever get any background? I remember her being super mysterious.

so Catherine with a C 's chaotic evil. Katherine with a K is chaotic neutral and Rin is chaotic good ?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Weird going from a game with realistic looking characters with natural hair colors to a girl with bright pink hair.

Maybe it's dyed.

Also Atlus has notoriously sucked with LGBT representation in nearly everything except P3P. Doubt they're going to change anything with Erika.

Hexa

Oct 25, 2017
so Catherine with a C 's chaotic evil. Katherine with a K is chaotic neutral and Rin is chaotic good ?

I saw Katherine as more of a lawful good as it represented stability. I have no clue what they could do with Rin if she's supposed to be good. Maybe not 'cheat' with her, but fall in love and break up with Katherine before going out with Rin? That would be chaotic good. Completely spit balling here as we know nothing about her atm.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
As nice as it would be, the issues are with the script itself. I don't know how they could be localized without deviating completely. I also have no idea if Atlus USA's translators even care about these sort of issues...
I have faith that with enough freedom, they could make it markedly better (even if not perfect). It's on a much smaller scale, but the writing in the Persona 4 camp scene with Kanji are just enough so that your protagonist has the option of standing in solidarity with Kanji instead of two different ways of being mean spirited.

But you're right that the most prominent Atlus USA localization staff is gone, and the Atlus we're currently stuck with can't even do anything about the fairly wretched P5 beach scene.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I saw Katherine as more of a lawful good as it represented stability. I have no clue what they could do with Rin if she's supposed to be good. Maybe not 'cheat' with her, but fall in love and break up with Katherine before going out with Rin? That would be chaotic good. Completely spit balling here as we know nothing about her atm.

I would love if one of the extra "goof" endings is ..

All the Catherine's getting together and beating the shit out of Vincent for his antics.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, considering they're saying that she's a genuinely nice person, and a more straightforward character, if they're indeed adding her own route and endings, maybe she just wants to help Vincent with whatever choice he makes (here enters the info about her impacting both the other routes), but you can go with the ultimate scumbag route and fall in love with the girl that is just trying to help you save your relationship, ditching Katherine for her.

Hexa

Oct 25, 2017
Well, considering they're saying that she's a genuinely nice person, and a more straightforward character, if they're indeed adding her own route and endings, maybe she just wants to help Vincent with whatever choice he makes (here enters the info about her impacting both the other routes), but you can go with the ultimate scumbag route and fall in love with the girl that is just trying to help you save your relationship, ditching Katherine for her.

She's referred to as Catherine, so I'm assuming there are endings where he ends up with her. Now, if she is supposed to be a good character, I think that'll be really hard to acheive. I don't think dumping Katherine to go out with Rin is a scumbag move necessarily, certainly less so than cheating on her, though I suppose since the 'cheating' still takes place that greatly complicates things.

Hexa

Oct 25, 2017
I like it. XD

Saw a scan on Twitter that definitely seems to eliminate the idea she's gonna be a innocent character. sweatmeme.jpg

Just saw it too. I'm changing my prediction from her being an angel to being Catherine's sister or something like that and faking her good personality. Though I suppose a route where Vincent just legit cheats could be interesting as well.

Also, was the piano in stray sheep new?

Oct 25, 2017
She's referred to as Catherine, so I'm assuming there are endings where he ends up with her. Now, if she is supposed to be a good character, I think that'll be really hard to acheive. I don't think dumping Katherine to go out with Rin is a scumbag move necessarily, certainly less so than cheating on her, though I suppose since the 'cheating' still takes place that greatly complicates things.
Yeah, I'm assuming the cheating will always take place, and she's introduced later.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
All this talk about a character not named Katherine. If nothing else, Rin has very pretty hair.

I'd love it if they expanded on my personal favorite ending where

Vincent bails out and takes a ticket into Space. Y'know, because when you're forced to pick between your girlfriend and your sidechick, you call an audible and leave the Planet.