• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
You guys don't know? Vita means life.

And life's been real good for Atlus.

I never got it on ps3, seemed not my kind of thing, but I'll probably take a look at it on Vita, i guess

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Calling the Vita version "weird" seems to be code for "I'm salty it's coming to Vita instead of the console I have." It's especially funny because Atlus is releasing several Vita games in 2018 already. You guys need to get over yourselves.

Nov 9, 2017
Calling the Vita version "weird" seems to be code for "I'm salty it's coming to Vita instead of the console I have." It's especially funny because Atlus is releasing several Vita games in 2018 already. You guys need to get over yourselves.

I don't see what's so odd in being puzzled by release on the Vita compared to Switch or XB1. At first glance the Switch is wildly popular in both Japan and the USA and is selling gangbusters and the XB1 has a sizable chunk of the market in the US and they released the previous version on the 360. If you dig a bit deeper you see there are multiple reasons this might be - Altus is a smaller company and possibly can't manage that many ports, development may have begun a while ago before the Switch blew up, Atlus is still supporting the Vita decently, this isn't a western announcement, etc. From a western perspective releasing on the Vita in lieu of the Switch, XB1 and / or the PC does seem very weird.

nycgamer4ever

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't see what's so odd in being puzzled by release on the Vita compared to Switch or XB1. At first glance the Switch is wildly popular in both Japan and the USA and is selling gangbusters and the XB1 has a sizable chunk of the market in the US and they released the previous version on the 360. If you dig a bit deeper you see there are multiple reasons this might be - Altus is a smaller company and possibly can't manage that many ports, development may have begun a while ago before the Switch blew up, Atlus is still supporting the Vita decently, this isn't a western announcement, etc. From a western perspective releasing on the Vita in lieu of the Switch, XB1 and / or the PC does seem very weird.

Being puzzled and disappointed by the game NOT coming certain consoles is fine, but why the confusion and disdain for the Vita version? Vita owners should get games too. Besides of all the platforms Vita is getting the least amount of games. It could also be that Atlas thinks the majority of the target audience are on those platforms in Japan.

Lemstar

Oct 25, 2017
if you're passive-aggressively port begging or just port shitting you don't gotta mask it under the guise of rational business thinking, people

Oct 27, 2017
I literally couldn't be happier unless they announced a sequel as well.

Having a Vita version as well only sweetens the deal. If the Vita version comes out in the West count me in for both versions.

I now have access to all of my Top 5 Games of All Time on the Vita (P4/4G, MGS3, Steins;gate, Catherine, Chrono Trigger)

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
The bit that sticks out the most to me from this announcement is the support for online battles. Competitive Catherine matches are some of the most hype shit around, and barely anyone even realises! This should be a godsend for the whole community around that.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
if you're passive-aggressively port begging or just port shitting you don't gotta mask it under the guise of rational business thinking, people

Exactly. Port/platform shitting on Vita and 3DS is what turned me off threads of games I'm interested in. Hopefully that doesn't happen to this one and the eventual OT. I really wish people would focus on more on the positives of their own console rather than piling on negatives on those they aren't interested in.

Nov 9, 2017
Being puzzled and disappointed by the game NOT coming certain consoles is fine, but why the confusion and disdain for the Vita version? Vita owners should get games too. Besides of all the platforms Vita is getting the least amount of games. It could also be that Atlas thinks the majority of the target audience are on those platforms in Japan.

I don't have any disdain for the Vita version, but it seems fairly obvious people would rather have the game released for the platform(s) that they have. Again, just looking at the announcement the platform choices could seem odd if you don't know this is the Japan announcement and not for the West.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Getting this on PS4 (My primary console) and I totally think the Vita version is weird. I am totally puzzled by why companies continue to support the Vita and some even with cross buy (seemingly making even less possible money!). Good for people who still play the Vita though. I fell in love with Persona there and totally missed playing Persona on a handheld when I played P5.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How so? It's been on Nintendo handhelds last generation.

Vita is a legacy platform in the west and becoming less revelant in Japan by the week.

A big game on a new hot platform like the Switch isn't that surprising.

I'm not shocked at the Switch snub here, more shocked at the Vita inclusion lol.

It's not as shocking since:

- P3DMN and P5DSN have been announced too for the Vita. If this is using the same engine, might as well toss in the Vita too.
- Nintendo consoles get SMT games whereas Sony consoles get Persona (or related to Persona) games, the only instance it was different was with Persona Q, but that's by the Etrian team.
- Catherine is heavily leaning towards the Persona franchise.

What's probably more shocking is the exclusion of an Xbox One version since Catherine also came out on Xbox 360.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017

I mean, I'm happy it's coming to the Vita - I plan on playing this game on it even. Out of all choices it could come to, this is my ideal scenario. It's great and I'm not complaining about it. But it feels weird to me in a "I certainly did not expect this" sort of way. Didn't know the Vita still had legs, but I'm super happy that it does.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully one of the new endings is an Erica ending <3
I would love for an option to go with Erica instead of two Catherines. Tho, if they do that I want an entire Erica route and not just an ending. Actually now that I think about it, I want more routes than just endings. I hope we get like 2-3 completely new routes with the addition of this third girl.

Btw two things that I've noticed in this thread:

A) Vita owners shouldn't get too excited yet since we still don't have a confirmation about that version coming to the west. I would hate to see all this hope turn into sadness if Atlus decides to do a PS4 only release in west.

B) Catherine fans getting wowed at the sheer size of this thread without realizing that more than half of these pages are just port begging or discussions about the way Atlus chooses the platforms for their games. I honestly don't know if this is a sad thing or a hilarious one.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The vita is basically dead everywhere but japan, and its slowly dying there too. Taking the time to port it over (should be hard since its much weaker than a PS4) is very strange.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
I would love for an option to go with Erica instead of two Catherines. Tho, if they do that I want an entire Erica route and not just an ending. Actually now that I think about it, I want more routes than just endings. I hope we get like 2-3 completely new routes with the addition of this third girl..

Good taste, friend! Would be amazing to double the possibilities with Rin and Erica. Although it's probably expecting too much, I'll just be happy seeing new Erica content in this version.

Day 1 buy for sure.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Member was warned for port begging
I think the problem is not the Vita port, it's the lack of XB1 version cause the original is on 360 and BC on XB1 and the Switch and PC ports because everything japanese these days goes to these platforms in adition of PS4. A huge oversight but expected from Atlus.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I think people forget that Sony made an effort to make porting games from PS4 to Vita relatively painless. Plus, games like Catherine are exactly the games that thrive on Vita.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Good taste, friend! Would be amazing to double the possibilities with Rin and Erica. Although it's probably expecting too much, I'll just be happy seeing new Erica content in this version.

Day 1 buy for sure.
Yeah that's probably asking too much but could you imagine if we had:

Route A: Catherine/Katherine (vanilla story)
Route B: Rin (a route that focuses on this new girl)
Route C: Erica (a completely unique route in which you tell Toby to piss off and instead you try to form a romantic relationship with Erica)

Man that would be so great. But like you said, this is highly unlikely to happen so I'll just take an Erica ending and be happy with that haha

sharpforprez

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You have to realize Catherine owes a lot of it's success to simply being on the PS3. Sony fans really took to it so I'm glad there seems to be a sense of loyalty going on.

Nov 9, 2017
B) Catherine fans getting wowed at the sheer size of this thread without realizing that more than half of these pages are just port begging or discussions about the way Atlus chooses the platforms for their games. I honestly don't know if this is a sad thing or a hilarious one.

Yeah, I mean posts that just say "switch port plz" don't add anything to conversation but I do find it interesting learning more about Atlus and their process behind how they chose their platforms. I don't follow Atlus particularly closely but I find it interesting (or weird some might say) how Nintendo gets SMT and Sony gets Persona; unless they are exclusives I don't see why they wouldn't want their games on as many platforms as possible.

You have to realize Catherine owes a lot of it's success to simply being on the PS3. Sony fans really took to it so I'm glad there seems to be a sense of loyalty going on.

It was also on the Xbox 360, which I imagine played a large part as well.

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
How so? It's been on Nintendo handhelds last generation.

Vita is a legacy platform in the west and becoming less revelant in Japan by the week.

A big game on a new hot platform like the Switch isn't that surprising.

I'm not shocked at the Switch snub here, more shocked at the Vita inclusion lol.

Vita still has a decent install-base and quite a dedicated one, that's the crucial point you're missing.

Anyway, I'm worried about Catherine performance on Vita and I don't know if it was the smartest move, I'll still wait for a PC version.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I mean posts that just say "switch port plz" don't add anything to conversation but I do find it interesting learning more about Atlus and their process behind how they chose their platforms. I don't follow Atlus particularly closely but I find it interesting (or weird some might say) how Nintendo gets SMT and Sony gets Persona; unless they are exclusives I don't see why they wouldn't want their games on as many platforms as possible.
I talked about this before, but I think it's a mixture of them knowing that fans of certain franchises would support their games on certain platforms/brands (in Atlus' mind: SMT fans buy Nintendo platforms/Persona fans buy Sony platforms) and them being a smaller company and not having enough people/resources to work on too many versions of a single game at the same time.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't expect this at all but I'm down. I'm a bit miffed that it's a redoing of the old game but at least it will have newer stuff in it. So, I'll play though it again for sure.

Vita kicking screaming for them titles. Gotta give it up for such a little fighter.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Vita still has a decent install-base and quite a dedicated one, that's the crucial point you're missing.

Anyway, I'm worried about Catherine performance on Vita and I don't know if it was the smartest move, I'll still wait for a PC version.
Where is the dedicated install base? Seems software sales continue to slow every week? I don't care that it is coming to the Vita. That's cool. I have one. Just seems strange from a business perspective. That's all. I'd say the same with the new Etrian game that was soft announced on 3DS. Just baffling decisions, but that's ATLUS.

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
Where is the dedicated install base? Seems software sales continue to slow every week? I don't care that it is coming to the Vita. That's cool. I have one. Just seems strange from a business perspective. That's all. I'd say the same with the new Etrian game that was soft announced on 3DS. Just baffling decisions, but that's ATLUS.

Because few games of value are released on Vita these days. Throw a good/cult game like Catherine and it could sold decently because most people that own a Vita still loves it. Being dedicated doesn't mean you have to buy every crap thrown at the console.

But yeah, I'm not sure it was the wisest decision sales wise.

Last edited:

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Getting this on PS4 (My primary console) and I totally think the Vita version is weird. I am totally puzzled by why companies continue to support the Vita and some even with cross buy (seemingly making even less possible money!). Good for people who still play the Vita though. I fell in love with Persona there and totally missed playing Persona on a handheld when I played P5.
Vita owners buy a lot of games. It's really not surprising that developers and publishers continue to support it.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably gonna get the Vita version of this game, you know portability and trophies. Hope I'm not the only one!

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I'll rebuy it if they include Japanese voices this time, otherwise no since you can't undub PS4 games.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Some people just can't accept the fact not all games will come to their system of choice.

It doesn't have to make sense.

Stop shitting up the thread with all the Vita salt.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017

This thread reminds me a thread in forum where I used to visit, that OP questioned why some company is acting AGAINST their own interest by not releasing a certain games on Switch. I thought that was pathetic, some of the comments here are just as bad.

Yes, Switch is a great console/portable.
No, not everything needs to be on it.
Having system coexist is best for all of us gamers.

Having sad that, porting this game to Vita is a reasonable decision because;
1. PS4 and Vita have similar architect, down-porting should be very low cost.
2. Catherine's gameplay fits with Vita/portable. Dare I say the game's nature fits perfectly on Vita's user base.
3. Given Switch is a smash hit and PS brand has no current portable plan, putting low cost port job to Vita to ease the monopoly of Switch does make some sense.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Is this thread really 30 pages of people being confused by a vita game. I don't know what it is about the vita but ever since the system launched it seems to draw a lot of hate for games being released on it instead of other systems.
I imagine 2018 will basically be the last year we see significant releases for the system. With Atlus releasing Persona dancing games on the system they must find it profitable so I don't see why we should question their decisions.
Atlus is already releasing SMTV exclusively for the switch so it's not like they are ignoring the system.

And it's not like Atlus can't port the game latter to the Switch if they feel like it's enough demand

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
2. Catherine's gameplay fits with Vita/portable. Dare I say the game's nature fits perfectly on Vita's user base.

This is my main worry when combined with Atlus's talk of a "more erotic Catherine" and new "sexy events". I have a feeling this is going to end up with people rubbing the Vita screen in new minigames...

Well, my other main worry is screwing with the narrative by adding a third woman to the mix. It could easily shift Catherine from a story about love and relationships to another Atlus Waifu Dating Sim.

Oct 26, 2017
3. Given Switch is a smash hit and PS brand has no current portable plan, putting low cost port job to Vita to ease the monopoly of Switch does make some sense.

Fuck off with this trash already. That line of thinking has no place when you even try and pull your head out of your ass and see that the system has far more than what you think it does. Not to mention you go on to say that the game should be on Switch as well, being the bastion of all things good that it is, when Switch is receiving some of the same types of games that Vita has gotten.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I put it more on Katsura Hashino than Atlus as a whole. He's been Director of all those games and I don't expect subject matter like LGBT to be handled well from him. Of course we'll have to see when other games come out that he's not involved with attempt to tackle subject matter like that.

As for this remaster I doubt any of it will be changed.
But they did Lala pretty well. She ended up as one of the most popular faceless characters in p5

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
User was warned for this post for: Portbegging
It definitely always felt like a game that would work even better as a portable game and was something I always wished I could be playing it portably instead of on the TV.

Now it is ported to a portable I don't own and have no interest in. Oh well.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Don't be harsh. The reason for that kind of thinking is obvious. The system does have more that what people think but you gotta see why the funny erotic anime gifs exist for the vita more than any other platform. I dunno.. Announcing a Vita port with the new additions (new girl, new sexy events)... seems like Atlus agrees.

But don't get me wrong, I'm happy Vita is getting the game, and hopefully its a quality port.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Yeah, they have shitty representation sometimes but not always.

Edit: non-portrayed character

Also in p4, i see that yosuke is somehow uttering homophobic remarks to kanji, but at the end he always says something resembling to "okay. I know you are maybe a bit different. But it is okay" (of course not in direct quote). At the very least i dont think atlus has any ill intention toward lgbt, they just may have misguided perception