• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Been playing through for most of the day. The puzzle sections look ok on Vita, but the outside sections looks pretty bad. The biggest thing to me is the audio is just so low quality, really a detriment to the experience. Plays extremely nice with the Vita Dpad though.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Well, what the fuck. I didn't expect them to make that worse.

Also, I would appreciate someone confirming...
if Rin is indeed a member of "a race of small, pink aliens"

because that phrasing gave me some amount of enjoyment, such that I did not even watch the video of it

and if it was actually just a joke end, and instead the game becomes even more transphobic garbage for her route instead, I'll be angry

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that ending should be it's own thread, even if the title is "Catherine Full Body ending gets extremely transphobic [Spoilers]"

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Well, what the fuck. I didn't expect them to make that worse.

Also, I would appreciate someone confirming...
if Rin is indeed a member of "a race of small, pink aliens"

because that phrasing gave me some amount of enjoyment, such that I did not even watch the video of it

and if it was actually just a joke end, and instead the game becomes even more transphobic garbage for her route instead, I'll be angry
Rin IS an alien. But their human form apparently has a penis. I don't really know too much beyond that.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made a grievous error regarding the content of the new ending and I'm removing this post.

Last edited:

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
exactly what i was thinking

shit's thread worthy
It'd also be good to let those playing not have this take over the conversation in this thread (though I'd rather at least have a video of the ending for context even though it's pretty obviously as bad as it seems as people have described it).

Oct 25, 2017
So apparently what the new ending is going for is that

Erica isn't actually a woman, but rather a gay man who transitioned, and Catherine "improves" her life by traveling back in time so that she comes out as gay.

So basically it's as bad as it sounds.

According to what I've read Rin identifies as male and crossdresses, and yes is an "angel" who in this setting are little pink aliens, and there's a new route for marrying them.

Fuck this game.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018

Erica isn't actually a woman, but rather a gay man who transitioned, and Catherine "improves" her life by traveling back in time so that she comes out as gay.

According to what I've read Rin identifies as male and crossdresses, and yes is an "angel" who in this setting are little pink aliens, and there's a new route for marrying them.
Holy fuck.

I... may not buy anymore Atlus games.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

ty

So what you're saying is Atlus doesn't know a damned thing about trans folk

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so this just fucking escalates, huh.

Rin IS an alien. But their human form apparently has a penis. I don't really know too much beyond that.

Oh, fucking hell.

Can't even be a ridiculous twist without shoving in some transphobia too.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its like they were so close to actually improving on how they implement LGBT characters but massively fucked up the execution.

I normally tolerate Atlus' more questionable choices but even I'm gonna have to question buying this.

Ill say I'm at least glad there trying to put in gay relationships it seems but the rest?

Hopefully who ever made this decision isn't working on Persona 5 R.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Edit. Posted in the wrong Catherine thread but the changes they've made Regarding LGBT themes just hurts. Sucks so bad i love cathrine so sooo much.

LapinLopLuna

Oct 29, 2017
Came to check how Rin's story is handled. Didn't have high hopes and oof... yeah. I'm def not buying this game.

OT rules

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Please be advised that this game contains a significant amount of content that is blatantly transphobic and offensive. As these issues are part of and inseparable from the content of the game, they can and will inevitably be discussed in this OT.

Any defense of such content, or dismissal of relevant criticism, will be met with bans. Complaining about discussion of the issue will be met with bans.

Thank you.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Been playing through for most of the day. The puzzle sections look ok on Vita, but the outside sections looks pretty bad. The biggest thing to me is the audio is just so low quality, really a detriment to the experience. Plays extremely nice with the Vita Dpad though.
Really not sure if I should get it on Vita or PS4. On one hand I think the portability would be a huge plus for replaying through puzzle sections (esp. on hard), but I also kinda want the story part of it to look (and sound) nice. Would you still take vita ver. over PS4 knowing how it looks like?

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Really not sure if I should get it on Vita or PS4. On one hand I think the portability would be a huge plus for replaying through puzzle sections (esp. on hard), but I also kinda want the story part of it to look (and sound) nice. Would you still take vita ver. over PS4 knowing how it looks like?
Definitely not. It's a nice novelty, but if I only had to go with one I would get the PS4 version. It's not just the audio either, the videos are really compressed as well. You can see a lot of artifacting. It's understandable, since I guess they need to keep file sizes small. But it doesn't look or sound good.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
How on earth did we get to the conclusion of all the stuff said in the spoilers? Is the game already out in Japan or did something leak? Also I thought in the first place that this was just a remaster?

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not. It's a nice novelty, but if I only had to go with one I would get the PS4 version. It's not just the audio either, the videos are really compressed as well. You can see a lot of artifacting. It's understandable, since I guess they need to keep file sizes small. But it doesn't look or sound good.
Wish I'd read this earlier. My vita version comes tomorrow and I just remembered I won't be able to access the DLC on my EU account either due to the lack of multiple accounts

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, that's a real pity. But thanks for the heads up, I'll go and order PS4 ver. then.

Oct 25, 2017
The vita version is only going to be in japanese? or will it be in english for another asia region like sometimes happens in hong kong or Taiwan for whatever reason.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Had you tried the Vita demo, and is it worse than it was there?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A question about something early on in Catherine in general.

As I recall, when Vincent first meets Catherine he is drunk as fuck. We all know what happens next, she seduces him, they wake up in Vinc's apartment, whatever.

I only just realized this but could Vincent even have consented to that encounter? Wasn't he too inebriated?

tomahawk

Nov 2, 2018
Changing the Axis Mundi music to the original title theme, It's a Golden Show was a genius move. Also, the visuals in Axis Mundi look way better now.

A question about something early on in Catherine in general.

As I recall, when Vincent first meets Catherine he is drunk as fuck. We all know what happens next, she seduces him, they wake up in Vinc's apartment, whatever.

I only just realized this but could Vincent even have consented to that encounter? Wasn't he too inebriated?
I'd say that's intentional. Succubi are often defined as having sex with non-consenting men in their sleep. Mutton's game as a whole is by design quite unfair and it's debatable how responsible Vincent truly is for a lot of the stuff that happens. I will say, Catherine sounds very drunk in that scene too, at least in Japanese.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Changing the Axis Mundi music to the original title theme, It's a Golden Show was a genius move. Also, the visuals in Axis Mundi look way better now.

I'd say that's intentional. Succubi are often defined as having sex with non-consenting men in their sleep. Mutton's game as a whole is by design quite unfair and it's debatable how responsible Vincent truly is for a lot of the stuff that happens. I will say, Catherine sounds very drunk in that scene too, at least in Japanese.
Thanks for the info. I'm not fully informed on Catherine's plot, so that helps a lot.

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Anyone knows if theres new music in this version? I imagine yes but i couldnt find a straight answer on google. Also are Atlus soundtracks normally not released on streaming platforms? Couldnt find anything from Meguro on deezer.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got the true Rin ending. Wish there were more new puzzles, Night 10 was so much fun. Much more thematically satisfying endgame than the other two, though it was a bit of a bummer how much was common between all three in the midgame.

You can *really* tell which are the new scenes, due to how much more animated the character movement and scene direction are. One in particular I really liked, where Vincent monologues about following Rin, was just such a step up from anything in the original Catherine.

Overall, glad I grabbed the Vita LE (mostly for the 4 disc soundtrack), and can Axis Mundi-grind anywhere.
Is anyone playing the Vita version of the game? How is the overall performance?
A bit of aliasing, but the game plays super well. The only slowdown I experienced was a couple times in the rest area, when there were a ton of other sheep. The actual puzzles played flawlessly. Anime cutscenes are a little compressed, but not horribly so.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So is there a guide for all the ending routes/correct options to pick to affect the the morality meter/friend quests? I've just begun the game now and am sure I'll never figure it out myself. I assume the fact that there is another character added to the game means I just can't use the PS3 trophy guide?

Anyway, played the first couple of nights and so glad I grabbed the Vita version - sure it doesn't look so great if your grabbing it for the story but I can't see me preferring the PS4 version when I can have portable Catherine puzzles that play so damn well on the handheld, definitely worth my cash. I can see me replaying the stages over and over for gold ranks, hard mode and arrange mode not to mention the arcade game and Tower of Babel.

Oh, one other thing - is there any way to disable the damn auto play feature when you restart a puzzle? Its so darn annoying that it seems to be on as standard (or I accidentally turned it on, I'd believe either).

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So is there a guide for all the ending routes/correct options to pick to affect the the morality meter/friend quests? I've just begun the game now and am sure I'll never figure it out myself. I assume the fact that there is another character added to the game means I just can't use the PS3 trophy guide?

Anyway, played the first couple of nights and so glad I grabbed the Vita version - sure it doesn't look so great if your grabbing it for the story but I can't see me preferring the PS4 version when I can have portable Catherine puzzles that play so damn well on the handheld, definitely worth my cash. I can see me replaying the stages over and over for gold ranks, hard mode and arrange mode not to mention the arcade game and Tower of Babel.

Oh, one other thing - is there any way to disable the damn auto play feature when you restart a puzzle? Its so darn annoying that it seems to be on as standard (or I accidentally turned it on, I'd believe either).
This is what I used.
https://samurai-gamers.com/catherine-full-body/walkthrough-directory-2/

Just be aware that the booth questions are randomized from a per-night pool, so hopefully you know at least some Japanese to identify the question, or can grab your phone to Google translate via camera.

For auto-play, I thought that was a Safety mode-only thing? Seems L2 is the toggle on PS4, maybe it's R on Vita? Don't have mine on-hand to check.

Oct 25, 2017
I have been a bit interested in this for a while, but didn't want to go back to my ancient PS3. Might give it a try when it gets a U.S. release.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I used.
https://samurai-gamers.com/catherine-full-body/walkthrough-directory-2/

Just be aware that the booth questions are randomized from a per-night pool, so hopefully you know at least some Japanese to identify the question, or can grab your phone to Google translate via camera.

For auto-play, I thought that was a Safety mode-only thing? Seems L2 is the toggle on PS4, maybe it's R on Vita? Don't have mine on-hand to check.

I'm playing on Normal/Hard and auto still kicks in when I restart. I'll dig around the controls to find how to turn it off. Thanks :)

Feb 5, 2019
Is the trophy list for the game essentially the same as the original? Not looking for spoilers, but I'm assuming there are trophies specific to endings with Rin. Are there any other new trophies, any omissions?