• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, i just realize they have a separate Japan trailer that's 4 min long lol

That's a pretty elaborate trailer, damn.

Looks like they add 3 new voice for the catherine voice dlc??

Ok, i'm 100% sure now this is ATLUS porting and not SEGA or whoever else.

Looks like they really start considering switch now huh

Well they have a mainline series coming to the Switch--SMT.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
So this is just like a visual novel except with the only gameplay being some sort of tower climb puzzle mechanic?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
So this is just like a visual novel except with the only gameplay being some sort of tower climb puzzle mechanic?
Kind of...it's not really purely visual novel (character portraits and words) but there's actual animation during all the conversation. You get to spend time in the bar every day and drink, talk to people and learn their stories, and you'll see those people in the dreams (climbing) sections. Talking to people passes time, so some people will come to the bar and some will leave. Drinking more makes Vincent move faster in the climbing stages. You can go to the bathroom and see a preview of what boss you'll be facing that night. There's also the Rapunzel arcade game, which has no time limit like the regular stages, but otherwise uses pretty much the same mechanics and is based more on number of moves rather than speed.

The nighttime stages have you climbing a tower of blocks that are falling, and it's a puzzle. The later stages can get pretty brutal. The last stage of each night has some kind of boss chasing you with a gimmick, typically something like they'll hit the blocks and stun Vincent for a second, or they'll strike lightning on blocks that will instantly kill Vincent (you see tells of this like the blocks highlighting in red).

At the end of each stage (except the boss), you'll be on a landing and be able to talk to other sheep that are there, and get tips from them, as well as talk to sheep of people that you see in the bar. There's a shop where you can buy items too, such as being able to create a block, kill all enemies, things like that. Then you go into a confessional and have to answer a question, most of the time about morality and relationships. Things like "Does life begin or end with marriage?" or "would you let your lover look at your text messages?" or things like that. If you're playing online, you'll actually get shown a graph of how everyone else answered online after you answer the question. These questions are generally the biggest factor that determine your ending, and which girl you end up with.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't expect that tbh. I'm not going to double dip this time around as I bought the game on sale for PS4 months ago and still haven't touched it.

Oct 27, 2017
What's the consensus on Full Body? Good improvement over the original or a bloated experience? I played 3/4 of Catherine on PC when it was released on Steam and deeply loved it, but I can't bring myself to enjoy a game on PC :( I'll gladly double dip if Full Body is great.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Really happy, one of my favourite ps3 games, start with easy mode peeps, it's quite hard.

That's running on the same engine as Persona 5, so I guess it's almost an inevitability that Persona 5 Royal makes it to Switch unless Sony has some contractual restrictions with that franchise.
It's not running on the same engine.
Catherine: Gamebryo
Persona 5: House made engine

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, i just realize they have a separate Japan trailer that's 4 min long lol

That's a pretty elaborate trailer, damn.

Looks like they add 3 new voice for the catherine voice dlc??

Ok, i'm 100% sure now this is ATLUS porting and not SEGA or whoever else.

Looks like they really start considering switch now huh

Also, all PS4 and Vita dlc is included with the base game, including stuff that was in the limited edition (Nero Glasses).

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Kind of...it's not really purely visual novel (character portraits and words) but there's actual animation during all the conversation. You get to spend time in the bar every day and drink, talk to people and learn their stories, and you'll see those people in the dreams (climbing) sections. Talking to people passes time, so some people will come to the bar and some will leave. Drinking more makes Vincent move faster in the climbing stages. You can go to the bathroom and see a preview of what boss you'll be facing that night. There's also the Rapunzel arcade game, which has no time limit like the regular stages, but otherwise uses pretty much the same mechanics and is based more on number of moves rather than speed.

The nighttime stages have you climbing a tower of blocks that are falling, and it's a puzzle. The later stages can get pretty brutal. The last stage of each night has some kind of boss chasing you with a gimmick, typically something like they'll hit the blocks and stun Vincent for a second, or they'll strike lightning on blocks that will instantly kill Vincent (you see tells of this like the blocks highlighting in red).

At the end of each stage (except the boss), you'll be on a landing and be able to talk to other sheep that are there, and get tips from them, as well as talk to sheep of people that you see in the bar. There's a shop where you can buy items too, such as being able to create a block, kill all enemies, things like that. Then you go into a confessional and have to answer a question, most of the time about morality and relationships. Things like "Does life begin or end with marriage?" or "would you let your lover look at your text messages?" or things like that. If you're playing online, you'll actually get shown a graph of how everyone else answered online after you answer the question. These questions are generally the biggest factor that determine your ending, and which girl you end up with.

And lets not forget.... PLAY ON EASY MODE

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know, maybe the giant Switch logo wasn't clear enough.
they need to get on capcom's level
913bngrdywl._sl1500_onk22.jpg

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, I'm mixed. The first game was fun and compelling, but the trans panic stuff they put into Full Body really turns me off, from what I've heard. Maybe I'll wait until it goes less expensive used...

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the original, horrendous treatment of the game's trans character notwithstanding. That they doubled down on it for Full Body ensures I won't touch it.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Was watching the direct and hoping SO HARD it be a "available now" drop :(

also the gameplay looked 30fps to me, which would be a bit disappointing but I did enjoy the og game on PS360 so there's that.

What price did CFB launch at on Vita/PS4?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I really love the first game, while acknowledging the negative content in it too. But from what I've seen, the redux looks to to be adding just for the sake of additional content. The original game had interesting themes, was tight and focused. I have a hard time seeing a third Catherine as a positive for the game, but more of just a mess.
I'm talking out of my ass since I haven't played it yet, I'll probably pick it up and see soon enough. Definitely sucked that the one trailer played into the trans panic as a gag as well (I know that's not the direction of the game itself).

Edit: After everything, I would still consider the original Catherine an all time favorite. So I'll have to give this a shot eventually.

Last edited:

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm talking out of my ass since I haven't played it yet, I'll probably pick it up and see soon enough. Definitely sucked that the one trailer played into the trans panic as a gag as well (I know that's not the direction of the game itself).

🤔

I mean.

Why are we cursed to do this loop forever and ever.

www.resetera.com

[Major Spoilers] One of the endings in Catherine: Full Body gets extremely transphobic... moreso than that original (OP Updated Feb. 17)

Update: Catherine does not explicitly state anything about "making everyone's lives better", however that is heavily implied. She wanted to be with Vincent under different circumstances. She took him back in time and dated him in high school, and they go on to get married years later, in the...

www.resetera.com

Catherine Full Body English localisation changes little, is still incredibly transphobic

Making a new thread to split off from the review one, because this probably warrants both its own discussion and also to be highlighted as a big issue. So, for those new to the Catherine discourse, even more so than the original game, the Japanese version of Catherine Full Body was slammed by...

www.resetera.com

Catherine: Full Body |OT| Welcome To The Tavern of Madness [see staff post]

Special thanks, now as ever, to Vally for graphical inspiration. True love stories never have endings. - Richard Bach Developer/Publisher - Atlus Platform(s) - PS4, PSV Release Date: Now! (JP / US ) Genre: Puzzle / Tactical Relationship Action Artwork: Shigenori Soejima...

Ghifari77

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Huh, they announced a Switch game at the Switch reveal event you know.
Well they have a mainline series coming to the Switch--SMT.

???

And??

Well, maybe i should say "more considering" instead?

Idk, who the fuck cares about proper english lol
C'mon, you guys get the point. Stop being an asshole

It's not running on the same engine.
Catherine: Gamebryo
Persona 5: House made engine
Catherine original : gamebryo
Catherine full body : p5 engine

Idk if this have been confirmed, but it's not gamebryo so most likely p5 engine

lol, it actually says "for nintendo switch" on the cover.

edit: this is the 3rd game on switch with joker dlc in it, after smash and tokyo mirage sessions

I'm glad the English version drop the "for nintendo switch" lol

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the vita version wasn't localized
it was a full price ($60) release on ps4, tho it's currently on sale for 50% off. there's also $25 worth of DLC for that version which is apparently included for free on switch.

it's basically the $80 deluxe version for PS4 that was ported, I wonder if this means we're about to see a price drop on the PS4 version

Oct 28, 2017
What's the consensus on Full Body? Good improvement over the original or a bloated experience? I played 3/4 of Catherine on PC when it was released on Steam and deeply loved it, but I can't bring myself to enjoy a game on PC :( I'll gladly double dip if Full Body is great.
Not as good as the original imo. They butchered the difficulty curve of the standard difficulty. That iconic Love is Over screen? Good luck ever seeing it on anything other than the hard difficulty. If you die it automatically triggers undo your last move and you don't die. Bosses are no longer a threat, you no longer have to be careful. A lot of the excitement and tension of the experience is removed and it makes for a worse game.

As for the story additions, there's nothing added that needed to be added. It's fine that's all.

The game does give you new content for its puzzle stages in remix mode and I do like its. Changes the way you need to approach Catherine at a base level I quite like it. All new rapunzel stages too. The new content is pretty good. If they hadn't butchered the normal difficulty as I previously mentioned then the new gameplay content would make it the best package of Catherine.

Oct 27, 2017
Not as good as the original imo. They butchered the difficulty curve of the standard difficulty. That iconic Love is Over screen? Good luck ever seeing it on anything other than the hard difficulty. If you die it automatically triggers undo your last move and you don't die. Bosses are no longer a threat, you no longer have to be careful. A lot of the excitement and tension of the experience is removed and it makes for a worse game.
Ah, that's a shame. Hard mode is still the same, though? Since I'm already familiar with the game, I might play this version on hard to begin with.
As for the story additions, there's nothing added that needed to be added. It's fine that's all.
You mean that as "The story was already perfect, and the additions devalue the overall package it" or "The story was already perfect, and the addictions were harmless"? I honestly can't imagine the story of Catherine with a 3rd girl, tbh.

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, that's a shame. Hard mode is still the same, though? Since I'm already familiar with the game, I might play this version on hard to begin with.

You mean that as "The story was already perfect, and the additions devalue the overall package it" or "The story was already perfect, and the addictions were harmless"? I honestly can't imagine the story of Catherine with a 3rd girl, tbh.
Didn't hurt the game imo.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Can someone tell me if multiplayer (which has online right ?) Is only pvp or can it be coop... enough. Because with how hard some paths can be it remember being close to impossible to coop on high grounds after a while of climbing.

Seeing how well handled it is I'm clearly getting it despite having og game on 360 or was it ps3... whatever.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Honestly pretty surprised it took this long.

I'm really curious about the decision-making process that lead to a Vita version and then a year-late Switch port.

Mar 20, 2020
Anyone knows the price on this? Wouldn't want to pay more than 30$ but I loved the original and haven't played it since X360.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
If everything is on cart and seeing all DLC are in, seems like a port they cared about so I'll take it.