• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Man I forgot how amazing Michelle Ruff is here as Katherine. Definitely one of my favourite voice actors in the biz. Troy Baker is also really good, as usual.

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Was the original's treatment of
Erica
as bad as this game's or is it worse this time around? I only remember the part of the ending where
Toby found out she used to be a guy and he lost his Vcard to her.

Also, is this game harder than the original for anyone else?

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
That looks super nice. Here it's double the price, so I'd just wait in case an artbook gets released.

Yeah, don't feel bad about it, it's a nice extra to get but it's not worth the upfront price of the game if indeed it doubles your price.
I'm sure there will be a proper fullsize book with more in depth look at the creative process in the future.

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This game is complete shit and should have never been. The transphobia is disgusting and evil. My greatest hope is that this game mega-bombs and Atlus bleeds a ton of money from it. This is the only way they learn not to do this shit again.

I mean, the Chie avatar.... P4 is not exactly without a stain on its hands for being regressive on issues.

The fact the game has garnered so much discussion because of this issue with a character is, in and of itself, significant I think. It's just a shame its writer's aren't nearly as ready to tackle complicated subject matter despite what it thinks.
--

Hoping to grab the game this week or next. Really I just wanna sit and struggle with a hard game; it's been a while since I've played for a challenge and I heard Cath is great for it. 🍷

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about the extra JP VA dlc. Did all of them end up coming over?

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
yooo, this Golden Playhouse Special logo is freaking me out considering im playing on an OLED. I dont remember if this was in the original

Edit: Choosing between all the VAs might be the hardest choice ive seen in a game in a long time...lpl

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Going through my first ever playthrough and I'm really into everything so far, including the puzzles. I'm not going to read any guides and just go with the flow.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Having played the original, I have no idea how this Rin route is supposed to work as there's no indicator for your choices, but I'm going blind my first playthrough.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Having played the original, I have no idea how this Rin route is supposed to work as there's no indicator for your choices, but I'm going blind my first playthrough.
I'm not that far in, but I think the "broken" indicator after a question marks your way toward that path. There are 19 endings in total, so at some point a guide could be necessary.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You definitely need a guide for Rin' s endings
I dunno, I thought it was pretty straightforward if you're specifically aiming for Rin. You won't be free to answer the questions as you want to, but if you keep in mind what Rin's all about, it's pretty simple each time you're prompted.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I 100%'d Catherine on PC a few weeks ago and im debating if I want to try it again with full body. Catherine is probably my favourite puzzle game and (for the most part) it was a fun hundo but it took a lot out of me to do. Not sure if im ready for that again.

Might just play the PS4 version casually and double dip if it ever comes to PC and 100% it there instead.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Great OP. With so many games coming out I keep getting pulled away from this, but it does truly feel like a new experience even having played the original. Feels like a 1.5 rather than a more incremental upgrade.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Shame the Vita version didn't get localized. Portable Catherine is *so* good.
Yup, after Vincent annoyed me so much by the end of the game (just his endless whining an indecision) I actually can't be bothered to get it in English. I got the gist of enough of the story that I'd really only want to get the other endings for trophies. The game is just so well suited to handheld play that I personally find the Vita version to be my preferred version. Plus the new levels and arranged mode are fantastic additions, makes a good puzzle game even better.

Dec 4, 2018
I'm really enjoying the game so far. I forgot how fun the puzzle gameplay is, it's like nothing else out there. Remix mode isn't for me though, played a few levels with it and found it frustrating and more difficult; it feels more constraining to have to work with those bigger blocks to a point where the various techniques taught seem worthless in this mode. Maybe I'll revisit it in another run.

So far I'm finding the Rin path pretty intuitive, I picked up on the meter shatters and the hints about new possibilities and new paths. I just finished Chapter 5 so maybe it gets more obtuse? Stayed up late last night playing because I kept thinking "just one more puzzle...."

rude

Oct 25, 2017
How long is this game? Thinking of buying it, but not for full price if it's only like 5 hours.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Played this on Xbox when it first came out and loved it. I have gotten worse at video games though the puzzles are way more challenging than I remember. I am just a few hours in but in surprised about just how much Rin has been in the game. I thought she would be a small side character but a lot of these early scenes are brand new with her.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How long is this game? Thinking of buying it, but not for full price if it's only like 5 hours.
10-15 hours for a single playthrough and there's 14 different endings with remixed stages. There's also a lot of optional content. This game can last you a while if you really want it to.

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I dunno, I thought it was pretty straightforward if you're specifically aiming for Rin. You won't be free to answer the questions as you want to, but if you keep in mind what Rin's all about, it's pretty simple each time you're prompted.
For sure. But was my impression right, about the "broken" meter when answering before/after trials? Or is it something entirely else? I don't remember that from original, though that was a long time ago.
If you are trying to simple get Rin's true ending, then yes. Once the meter breaks, then you are on Rin's path. But trying to also get the bad and normal endings you do need to know where and how to answer.

I don't remember the end game being this frustrating. Lol. Had to resort to following a YouTube video.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
If you are trying to simple get Rin's true ending, then yes. Once the meter breaks, then you are on Rin's path. But trying to also get the bad and normal endings you do need to know where and how to answer.

I don't remember the end game being this frustrating. Lol. Had to resort to following a YouTube video.
Okay, thank you! I had that impression and the question's nature pointed a bit in that way. Yes, I'll play without obsessing about it, and once I complete it, it'll take a look somewhere, otherwise it's going to be impossible.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't sure what remix all did so I'm just on classic again. Trying to see the Rin stuff so I guess I'll see if I stumble on it or not, only on day 3 so far.

Forgot the puzzle loop was so fun.

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Copy should arrive today and will jump online the moment I'm free. Hopefully I can play a few games without any issues.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The remix mode is surprisingly different, its amazing how different the whole game feels because of it.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Will probably get this when it's cheap. I like the game's story, but the wackier/supernatural elements really clash with some of the serious themes. The Catherine endings really didn't do it for me.

Deleted member 4375

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought the Special Edition yesterday that came with the sheep plush, artbook and soundtrack. I played through Catherine some 8 years ago on my ps3 and absolutely loved the mix of addictive puzzle gameplay and actual story themes that are relative to me as opposed to the classic JRPG 16 yo saves the world trope.

The presentation is gorgeous, the acting is spot on and the writing is fitting. The soundtrack is perfect for the mood that the game sets to make and the characters are memorable and all likeable. The additional content is welcome and I'm feeling the game grab me again like it did years ago. Glad Atlus and Sega brought this game back as it's one of my favourites from last generation. Likewise, this will remain so for the current consoles.

I really should go for a better ending this time though. I got one of the bad endings back in 2011.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, was really looking forward to this on Vita.
Now I am not buying this game...Or is there a way to play the Japanese release with English text?
Probably not, unless there is some "unofficial" way to do it, which remains doubtful for now. I think that version didn't perform too well, in any case. Playing your PS4 version through Remote Play is bound to offer equal or better results.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably not, unless there is some "unofficial" way to do it, which remains doubtful for now. I think that version didn't perform too well, in any case. Playing your PS4 version through Remote Play is bound to offer equal or better results.

Thanks.
Even though I could just use Remote Play, I am not supporting this bullshit decision not to bring it over, even as a digital only release. Doesn't matter how much Sony is to blame as well.

Rather not buying the game at all.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks.
Even though I could just use Remote Play, I am not supporting this bullshit decision not to bring it over, even as a digital only release. Doesn't matter how much Sony is to blame as well.

Rather not buying the game at all.
That's fair. Perhaps in the future some dedicated modder takes the time to translate that version.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Just finished the Rin route and thought it was great. Things worked out for everyone and the message was pretty surprising considering some of the other areas where the game falters significantly.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the Rin route and thought it was great. Things worked out for everyone and the message was pretty surprising considering some of the other areas where the game falters significantly.

I'm going for Rin True ending and I agree. While I understand some of the complaints, I feel they overshadow some of the good work that route does.