• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Working my way through this and it seems like there is a lot of added scenes. Rin's addition seems to have been really integrated into the main narrative which I didn't completely expect.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Yes, was really looking forward to this on Vita.
Now I am not buying this game...Or is there a way to play the Japanese release with English text?
No, I doubt there will be a fan patch using the PS4 version's text for the Vita version of this either since there's no way to extract the text from modern PS4 games because none of the recent firmwares have been cracked yet.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played much yet, but I dislike how the new Normal difficulty is handled. The auto undo that occurs when you 'die' removes a lot of the tension from the game, especially the boss attacks. This wouldn't be as much of a problem if it were a more limited resource, but given how easy it is to make a viable move, and refresh your number of undos exacerbates this issue. I will eventually get to Hard mode, but I feel like a difficulty between normal and hard that has the same tower design as normal but with stricter undo mechanics would've been idea.

Last edited:

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played much yet, but I dislike how the new Normal difficulty is handled. The auto undo that occurs when you 'die' removes a lot of the tension from the game, especially the boss attacks. This wouldn't be as much of a problem if it were a more limited resource, but given how easy it is to make a viable move, and refresh your number of undos exacerbates this issue. I will eventually get to Hard mode, but I feel like a difficulty between normal and hard that has the same tower design as normal but with stricter undo mechanics would've been idea.
That was my main complaint with the game. They implemented a bunch of QoL features like the auto-undo instead of a Game Over or the ability to have the game automatically climb for you once you die. But it removed much of the game's tension, which I actually liked a lot in the original. Running the hell away from a nightmare boss doesn't feel quite the same now.

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
That was my main complaint with the game. They implemented a bunch of QoL features like the auto-undo instead of a Game Over or the ability to have the game automatically climb for you once you die. But it removed much of the game's tension, which I actually liked a lot in the original. Running the hell away from a nightmare boss doesn't feel quite the same now.

But don't you have to enable them yourself? I know the auto climb I had to manually enable it and I didn't even know there was an auto undo and I was playing normal

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
But don't you have to enable them yourself? I know the auto climb I had to manually enable it and I didn't even know there was an auto undo and I was playing normal
Yeah, the auto-climb can be disabled (but the fact that it's there and that it prompts you for it is kind of an issue I have on its own). However, I feel like auto-undo is always there and can't be toggled. Maybe I'm wrong?

User Banned (2 weeks): dismissing concerns around transphobia, hostility, account in junior phase
Finished the game yesterday. Fantastic experience. There was nothing transphobic at all, don't know what's wrong with some Era-idiots. Games are a form of art so anything is allowed to be shown as long as the director in charge wants it to be part of the game. Accept that!

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
If I play on safe mode what I can't access, exactly, except for the difficulty related trophies?

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't been playing this at all, but I just wanted to post this video of someone completely breaking the final stage lol:

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the game with Rin's True ending. I liked the story a lot. Despite there being some weirdness regarding Rin's nature

Rin being an alien/angel

This the first AAA game where I see a trans romantic option and not only that, it's a main focus of the game story. The whole game was adapted around Rin.

The only part I find a bit confusing is

At the end it seems like Rin identifies as male, this part is confusing to since it's not clear if Rin identifies as male or is just answering Vicents question about having a male body. At this point it's difficult to discern if that's Rin actual intent or if this is some mild faux pas from the writers/translators.

Japanese doesn't have gendered pronouns unless you choose to use them, so I guess it's more ambiguous on the original language. I'm also not familiar with the japanese LGBTQ+ scene and how they choose to aboard this issue

Maybe this route if different too but I remember some weirdness around Erica/toby relationship on the original game which were not present on this play through. Their relationship is pretty sweet and is a non issue beside some mild banter

Like Toby mentioning that he supports Vicent "wild" decision to go for Rin and Vicent saying something like "we are on a similar boat, don't judge" so acknowledging that Toby is also on relationship with a trans woman. The joke being that Toby is super young and completely oblivious about sexed in general.

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Finished the game yesterday. Fantastic experience. There was nothing transphobic at all, don't know what's wrong with some Era-idiots. Games are a form of art so anything is allowed to be shown as long as the director in charge wants it to be part of the game. Accept that!

While I agree that games are a form of arts and whatever stories that want to be told should be allowed to be, if you can't see the shit told to Erica isn't transphobic, then you might need glasses.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying trans/homophobic stories are acceptable or should be told.

I finished the game with Rin's True ending. I liked the story a lot. Despite there being some weirdness regarding Rin's nature

Rin being an alien/angel

This the first AAA game where I see a trans romantic option and not only that, it's a main focus of the game story. The whole game was adapted around Rin.

The only part I find a bit confusing is

At the end it seems like Rin identifies as male, this part is confusing to since it's not clear if Rin identifies as male or is just answering Vicents question about having a male body. At this point it's difficult to discern if that's Rin actual intent or if this is some mild faux pas from the writers/translators.

Japanese doesn't have gendered pronouns unless you choose to use them, so I guess it's more ambiguous on the original language. I'm also not familiar with the japanese LGBTQ+ scene and how they choose to aboard this issue

Maybe this route if different too but I remember some weirdness around Erica/toby relationship on the original game which were not present on this play through. Their relationship is pretty sweet and is a non issue beside some mild banter

Like Toby mentioning that he supports Vicent "wild" decision to go for Rin and Vicent saying something like "we are on a similar boat, don't judge" so acknowledging that Toby is also on relationship with a trans woman. The joke being that Toby is super young and completely oblivious about sexed in general.

I think the whole thing with Rin

identifying as male in the later half has to do with them being angels and aren't angels supposed to be sexless? So I just felt that he didn't mind being labeled a girl because he likes wearing dresses and knows he looks like a girl. That and the amnesia aspect

Last edited:

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019

I just received the book, it has a very nice print quality.
it features:
- all the illustrations from the game, either advertising or in game (the ke-tai shots etc). Including all posters and ads.
- the full transcript of every dialog for all paths and every mode
- character sheets, including secondary characters with hours of appearing
- description of the locations
- "making of", with design sheets and drafts, cinematics storyboards and quite a lot cellos, albeit in small size.
It's 224 pages

The main cover is the game bluray case cover, the under cover is the full body box illustrating in monochrome pink and white

For 3500 yens, that was worth it.

book quality:
bookqualxqjgt.jpg

bookqual2n9j3w.jpg

Last edited:

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Without going into spoilers, what's the best way for me to get all the endings?

EDIT: didn't get to see much of Rin's story at all, not a big fan of the puzzles. Is there a way for me to skip all the nightmares in my second play through?

Last edited:

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I just received the book, it has a very nice print quality.
it features:
- all the illustrations from the game, either advertising or in game (the ke-tai shots etc). Including all posters and ads.
- the full transcript of every dialog for all paths and every mode
- character sheets, including secondary characters with hours of appearing
- description of the locations
- "making of", with design sheets and drafts, cinematics storyboards and quite a lot cellos, albeit in small size.
It's 224 pages

The main cover is the game bluray case cover, the under cover is the full body box illustrating in monochrome pink and white

For 3500 yens, that was worth it.

book quality:
bookqualxqjgt.jpg

bookqual2n9j3w.jpg

nice, hopefully I can get around to getting it.
Without going into spoilers, what's the best way for me to get all the endings?

EDIT: didn't get to see much of Rin's story at all, not a big fan of the puzzles. Is there a way for me to skip all the nightmares in my second play through?

I think you can, but you might have to have gotten gold on all of them. at least I believe that's how it was in the original.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Do the bar conversation and text messages matter for Rin's true ending?

I found a guide for choices and plan to complete it as fast as I can with auto play on during puzzles.

No spoilers pls.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I think I talked to almost everyone within the time constraint in the first playthrough and only wanna see the cutscene with Rin in the second playthrough.
Not just talking to the bar geezers, but depending on some of your responses you'll manage to save them, and on the final day you get a little epilogue to each person's story (along with a trophy if you care about that sort of thing). I couldn't do it without a guide, but its worth doing just for the heck of it.

As for the endings, I certainly needed a guide for those, just so damn confusing which combos you need for certain endings!

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Not just talking to the bar geezers, but depending on some of your responses you'll manage to save them, and on the final day you get a little epilogue to each person's story (along with a trophy if you care about that sort of thing). I couldn't do it without a guide, but its worth doing just for the heck of it.

As for the endings, I certainly needed a guide for those, just so damn confusing which combos you need for certain endings!
I managed to save everyone without a guide. Heck, I saved a few by accident on my import version, lol.

It's usually just a matter of being attentive and saying what they need to hear.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to save everyone without a guide. Heck, I saved a few by accident on my import version, lol.

It's usually just a matter of being attentive and saying what they need to hear.
Problem is, I have terrible judgment on which options to pick. And I was playing it in Japanese which doesn't help much either! I was more talking about endings rather than the bar guys, they aren't too bad to save (well, a few of them) but I still needed a guide for a couple.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
I didn't know there was finally an OT, nice.

I put it on hold for a while so I'm only up to day 3, but I'm addicted to Rapunzel - that and Babel halted my progress, so I need to get back into story mode. I think I was one of the first to get Altar going by PSNProfiles rank but Menhir has me stumped for now.

Remix mode is great, I wasn't sure if I should go vanilla at first but I've enjoyed it a lot.

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Where can I find high resolution wallpaper for this game?

Specifically the background one when you go into detail view on PS4 with sheep Vincent on Rin's head.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Finished Rin's true ending. It definitely went places by the end.

Not sure how I feel about it. Maybe they could have conveyed the same message with a different type of ending.

I feel like with how important Rin is to the story and world, if they made a K or C style ending for Rin would make Rin's route feel like the "True" true ending.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What other games are like Catherine, specifically the parts with the bar downtime where you can drink, check phone, talk to people etc?

I love those social aspects.

Oct 25, 2017
I missed this on PS3 so I think I will give it a try after the price goes down. Not really sure if I like this genre, but it seems interesting.

Jocund

Mar 9, 2018
What other games are like Catherine, specifically the parts with the bar downtime where you can drink, check phone, talk to people etc?

You know I've given a lot of thought to this since the original release and have only really found that mix of leisure in Catherine. There are games that provide a similar sense, (Persona, VNs like Danganronpa and Steins;Gate, Deadly Premonition) but only Catherine has that cozy nighttime tone.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States

Another recommendation for VA-11 Hall-A from me. Only other game I can think of like that.
You're the bartender though so you're the one making the drinks for your customers and talking to them.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
Hope they come out with this on pc so i can mod out the constant reminders to undo + remove the auto undo feature.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any news if they are going to sell a normal blue case PS4 version later?

I really don't like the metallic case for the launch edition.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Some nice deals for Black Friday, so I wanted to ask if there was any performance issues or bugs I should worry about compared to the original (already finished it years ago)?
I don't really care about the online btw, so I'm just talking about the single player.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Some nice deals for Black Friday, so I wanted to ask if there was any performance issues or bugs I should worry about compared to the original (already finished it years ago)?
I don't really care about the online btw, so I'm just talking about the single player.
As far as I know, the game is flawless apart from the ruined online. Even Axis Mundi US was fixed.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
None that I'm aware of. General consensus is that BOTH sides of Atlus are sticking their collective heads in the sand.

This is what happens when a company that's never done an online multiplayer without experienced help tries their hand at it.
So the version on the disc is the most current one?