• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
to what part? I thought most people were positive on how it ended ultimately
Ignoring theres still "Trap" cliche tones in it, a gay man designed to dress and act like a woman isnt good representation.

This Is all IMHO, but im tired of overly effeminate gays in fiction being all we get, and taking that to the next possible extreme of crossdressing is just extra gross to me.

Though i havent seen any ending yet, so unless it like completely redesigns them to not be like that, then I stand by that opinion.

And Vincent would be considered Bisexual or Pan in that equation, so while he'd be a neater character to me there, he's not gay so he doesnt qualify as an exception

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
It's a start, but the fact that this is a western-only change makes me feel that this was done purely as a business move and not that they recently decided their game is deeply transphobic and want to rectify it. It certainly won't change my decision to ban this game due to the garbage with the new character, or my refusal to buy the P5 rerelease unless they remove the homophobic content, or my ban of anything going forwards with Hashino's hands on it unless he makes a public declaration that he's had a Come to Jesus moment and is changing his ways.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I apologize for being ignorant regarding Japan's legislation towards LGBT people. I was speaking mostly from the perspective of someone that consumes Japanese media and how Transgender or Transvestite characters are portrayed in it. Unfortunately, they are generally not portrayed kindly or respectfully.

Even on a currently airing or well-respected show like Carole & Tuesday, from the creator of Cowboy Bebop, has a trans character
and it has been implied that she was abusive and traumatized her own child in the past.
I'm not trying to defend this depiction of course but I just can't think of many depictions of transgender characters in anime or games that are portrayed in a positive or respectful manner.

The way LGBT characters tend to be portrayed is outdated and hurtful in most of the examples I've seen or can recall. One of the rare exceptions I can think of is Genshiken which, at its second part,
features a character that struggles with their gender identity and explores their feelings towards another club member.
Featured a Transgender girl superstar struggling with the body changes that happen through puberty... She had a very supportive parent that struggled with her gender identity growing up and despite all this sounding pretty bad it was actually handled pretty well and wholesomely.

Has some crosdressing characters AND a transgender girl dealing with family issues, this last case in particular taught me A LOT about pronoun usage and deadnaming, as you can see the difference between the family members that are supportive and understand the character's gender identity, and the ones who are not and see them as something bad and won't respect their choices. I like the way things are portrayed in HxH because you can sort of learn the difference between crosdressing and transgender people in a subtle way, and it helps a lot for people that know nothing about the matter to be aware of that...The show uses a very risky allegory to make it work that could have turned it into a major disaster if it was poorly handled, and I dare say it did it pretty damn well, but I'm not really the most qualified person to say it

There are some good examples but you really need to dig into it

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Infinite Ryvius (1999) had a trans female character, Criff Clay, who... well, it's hard to say what she does without going into details, but there's nothing specifically trans there, it's moreso a female role. I actually didn't realize she was supposed to be trans when I finished watching because it's apparently just referred in a single throwaway line, but it's confirmed (inelegantly) on the official website.
The show's about a schoolful of students adrift in an advanced spaceship. Criff is a member of a group of punks who decide to take over the ship using force and run it their way; she and her sister seduce one of the bridge crew to help them get inside. It later turns out that she's disturbed by how things are going and the guy she seduces ends up actually caring about her, and so she starts actually returning his affection and her attitude softens. Her sister, who is the worse of the two, mockingly her a boy once, which is the only thing indicating she's trans in the show.
Wow... I watched that thing and totally missed out on that one.
I guess the name "Cliff" was supposed to indicate this, but Ryvius is so bad, it's hard to watch with any cognitive function on.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Ignoring theres still "Trap" cliche tones in it, a gay man designed to dress and act like a woman isnt good representation.

This Is all IMHO, but im tired of overly effeminate gays in fiction being all we get, and taking that to the next possible extreme of crossdressing is just extra gross to me.

Though i havent seen any ending yet, so unless it like completely redesigns them to not be like that, then I stand by that opinion.

And Vincent would be considered Bisexual or Pan in that equation, so while he'd be a neater character to me there, he's not gay so he doesnt qualify as an exception
So... you're saying Rin dressing and acting like a woman is a bad thing, even though it's not done in a negative or stereotypical manner, even though you likely haven't even played it?