• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
SOURCE

So Catherine: Full Body previews have been released today, among these, IGN have published a big list of what's in the game, including the changes being made in the localization. The big thing that's been changed is that the game will no longer deadname Erica in the credits.

From the IGN article

• Certain characters are properly named in the credits. (You'll understand this if you were tuned into the controversy surrounding previous editions of Catherine.)

For those that are unaware, the Japanese and English release of the original and the Japanese release of Catherine: Full Body referred to Erica, a trans woman as Eric Anderson (EricA) - her birth name - in the credits which rightfully had a lot of people upset.

DyL9HDbW0AEdzPM.jpg

Furthermore, the game will be altering lines of dialogue pertaining to Erica. While this is just speculation on my end, the lines the article is referring to will most likely be the transphobic dialogue directed to Erica by Vincent and other characters. An example of this below.

RoZv6wE.jpg

Good on Atlus USA to clean up this colossal clusterfuck left behind by Atlus JP. Still, what a fucking mess. I bet the people so adamant that bringing this up will do nothing because Atlus is a Japanese company feel real dumb now. I'm now imagining the faux outrage coming from basement dwelling bottom feeders. Real good move from Atlus USA.

I'm curious to see if Atlus JP got the memo and plan to remove those homophobic scenes in the upcoming Persona 5 Royal. A part of me thinks they will as they have no real excuse but eh... You never know, really.

EDIT: I'd like to add that Catherine in general handles its main trans character badly

One of the major criticisms those in the LGBT community had with the original was

1. Deadnaming in the credits
  2. Transphobic lines of dialogue such as what I posted above but also stuff like one character who is romantically interested in Erica but doesn't know she's a trans woman being picked on and teased by his friends for not knowing, turning it into a kind of gag or long-running joke
  3. Said character regretting sleeping with Erica, almost as he was 'tricked' and all of his friends making fun of him for doing so
Z6geW7r.png

I'm glad Atlus USA are taking steps to alter the first two but there's no real feasible way I imagine they change the last which is really disappointing and indicative of the fact that they have to make do with what they can change.

Last edited:

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is looking forward to this, thank goodness. This shit is a layup and I'm glad they are doing the right thing

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is positive movement for sure, but I would still feel weird buying the game.

Edit: Wait, isn't there an ending where
Erica turns back into Eric? Cause that's bs

Last edited:

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Holy shit that line by Vincent is stone cold. What a bastard (although I know that's also the point of the game, but still).

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good. Both of those things are shameful and shouldn't be in in the first place.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Atlus JP should go eat some dirt on this one

Its a fallacy to assume transphobia is just apart of one's unique Japanese culture. Japan should be changing this shit too, but of course ignorants will chalk it up to "unique western cultural sensitivities"

"We put this character into the game and didnt make her into a joke comedic caricature, what more do you want"

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Awesome. I'd be embarrassed if my work had to be edited in translations to change something like this.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Good. Now change it in the Japanese version too.

And get all that toxic shit out of Persona while you're at it.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good, but will they be able to change

the "in a perfect world Erica is "Eric" message the true ending had,

which IIRC was one of the, if not THE, most transphobic thing in the game according to people who played it

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I figured they couldn't do stuff like "we're going to change this because it's bad" with that explicitly given reason.

I imagine the localization team are sensible folks who also grew up here and probably maybe even know trans people (or are obviously sensitive to people who have expressed themselves). It would be really tragic for them if that were the case and they COULDN'T do anything about it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Who would have thought that loudly criticizing this actually works!/s

Good on them for listening though. Hopefully they won't embarrass themselves when it comes to depiction of gay folks in P6.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
Good on Atlus USA for putting the effort to clean this up. But the fact that they even had to do this to begin with is still really bad on Atlus Japan's part. There's no room for transphobia in 2019.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Sounds great. I'll wait for impressions on release but if they did a good job removing all of that stuff I might just end up buying Full Body to show support for their decision.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm glad to hear that Atlus USA is doing with they can to clean up after Hashino's mess.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Genuine question: whilst the original lines are bad and I'm happy that they are changing them, if it was the original vision of AtlusJP to have Vincent be homo/transphobic, to show him as a misguided/flawed individual, how would you put those lines in without causing offence whilst still getting the point across?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
INB4 the weebs cry censorship.

If it don't make my pp hard, play the censorship card

I can already see parts of Reddit and Gamefaqs freaking the fuck out at this news (same as they did with the Yakuza 3 remaster in Japan).

But this is great news, pity they are not bringing the Vita version over, as that's the version I own in Japanese and I'd love to have the better translation available.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

which IIRC was one of the, if not THE, most transphobic thing in the game according to people who played it
That spoiler is a bit incorrect

The true ending still has Erica as a woman. I don't know if that makes up for the fact that the Rin ending is trash but yeah...
D7RFPa0WkAAHQxM.jpg

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
While this stuff never should have been in the original version in the first place, I'm really happy that Atlus USA is going the extra step here. The fact that these changes made it through to the localization at all is giving me some hope that Atlus Japan will finally get the message and quit putting homophobic and transphobic content in their games.

I'm really glad to see that there's people at Atlus USA that care about people like me. Thank you!

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Genuine question: whilst the original lines are bad and I'm happy that they are changing them, if it was the original vision of AtlusJP to have Vincent be homo/transphobic, to show him as a misguided/flawed individual, how would you put those lines in without causing offence whilst still getting the point across?

that wasnt the intent. it was just to have him have a snarky comment. these types arent so nuanced, especially back when the game was made and LGBTQ wasnt as prominent in news and media

Oct 25, 2017

It could have been possible that Vincent is intended to be transphobic, but the dead naming of Erica in the credits proves otherwise.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
This is great! I hope P5 also cuts out the homophobic content from it. I'm actually tempted to buy Full Body now.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Good. But they need to do much better going forward now,they have to know this crap is not tolerated

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

They might be able to rewrite some of the dialogue. The design may be an issue, but I think that can be handwaved.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I doubt they can remove the entire Rin ending, unfortunately. There's a big difference between removing content and editing text.

Still, though, it's nice to see these kinds of things happen, if only so chuds can twist themselves into pretzels going from "useless ResetEra complaining never accomplishes anything" to "ResetEra is the biggest threat to gaming!"

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean good for them but this doesn't change the core problem that is Atlus JP. Until something changes over there these same problems are just gonna keep popping up.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Good for Atlus USA but they were never the problem.

As long as Atlus Japan keeps doing this shit, they won't see any of my money.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Atlus USA decided to make those changes. Though the problem is with the Japan branch rather than anyone on the localization team.