• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A disheartening piece from Neil MacDonald (Norm MacDonald's brother) about how things are probably going to go on the next few weeks.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/opinion/florida-school-shooting-1.4552301

These youth have also been misled, especially since the 9/11 attacks, into believing that the most sacred duty of their president is to protect American lives, when in fact their president has no intention of protecting theirs. He will do nothing to prevent the next murderer from picking up an AR-15 and setting out for some school to see if he can break the previous shooter's record.

This is not opinion. It is the only possible conclusion.

Americans have created facts on the ground that have become immovable objects, and it is on them that the efforts of the teen activists will crash and break.

The most severe test of NRA power was actually in 2012, after mass murderer Adam Lanza, AR-15 in hand, killed 20 schoolchildren and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.

mi-newtown-parents-300-0383.jpg

After the Sandy Hook shooting, grieving families arrived in Washington to show pictures of their dead children to discomfited politicians (Jessica Hill/Associated Press )

Sadness and horror ensued. President Barack Obama, weeping, demanded Congress act. Grieving families arrived in Washington to show pictures of their dead children to discomfited politicians.

I spoke with them, and I remember their desolation, and how they grasped desperately at the possibility their tragedy might effect change. With naïve confirmation bias, journalists encouraged them, writing that this was the tipping point.

And then nothing tipped. The NRA shrugged it off. A ban on assault weapons was voted down by a huge margin in Congress, and a subsequent set of much milder measures fell four votes short in the Senate. Because four Democrats — Democrats — voted against.

More at the link where he goes into the three main reasons nothing will ever change.

I hate to say it, but I think he's probably right and it tears me up that these kids who are working so hard for change are going to run into the wall that is the reality of the gun situation in America.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think giving up is exactly what the NRA (and those they support) wants.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. I'm not giving up and no one here should either. I don't care what some random guy says on a Canadian website.

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is bullshit. nothing will be done because of the current make up of congress. voting has consequences and new blood can and will make a change. old fucks die some day

Oct 25, 2017
no, sorry. I don't think an argument that boils down to "things were worse before and nothing changed" is a good argument, and the idea that people would raise arms in civil war against the government if asked to relinquish their firearms is ridiculous.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean he's 100% right. If nothing changed after Sandy hook, where little children were murdered, then nothing is going to happen to change it now. It might remain a hot topic due to youth organization but they're going up against the most powerful lobbying group and a culturally ingrained idea that to be American is to be able to own weapons of war. Hell, even most of the conversation in the ensuing weeks have focused on the insanity of giving teachers guns, making schools into protective prisons, or hiring armed guards as opposed to the root cause of the matter.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't read this as a nihilistic concession to the inevitable- it's just hard facts about how the country is. It is too late, for now- political change will eventually happen but the mind of the people is so misled that it vey well may take much longer than anyone realizes to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.