• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The first three Witchers were by definition a trilogy, so we simply could not name the next game 'The Witcher 4'. This does not mean, of course, that we will leave the world of The Witcher. The Witcher is one of two franchises on which to build the future activities of the company. Today, unfortunately, I can not reveal anything more," said Kiciński in an interview with Polish outlet Bankier (as translated by Google Translate).

USGamer

Not that it should come as much of a shock to anyone, but CD Projekt RED has confirmed that it will make a new game set in the Witcher universe, and that it will not be The Witcher 4. Not only that, they explicitly confirm that The Witcher will be one of their two main franchises going forward (I assume Cyberpunk will be the other), meaning I imagine a Bethesda style Elder Scrolls/Fallout routine for a while.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
Since they publish their own games, I do wonder when they will start either opening new studios to publish other games or partner with independent devs.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Not surprising and that's good. It's a very rich universe and I can't wait to see where they take it now that Geralt story is sadly over.

Since they publish their own games, I do wonder when they will start either opening new studios to publish other games or partner with independent devs.

Pretty sure they already opened a second studio ?

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of feels like they're painted in something of a corner in that they killed off almost all of the Witchers in the game and especially with Blood and Wine I don't think they could do anything with Geralt that wouldn't feel like a step back.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Fantastic. The world of the Witcher is such an amazing setting.

Kind of feels like they're painted in something of a corner in that they killed off almost all of the Witchers in the game and especially with Blood and Wine I don't think they could do anything with Geralt that wouldn't feel like a step back.
There are more witchers in the world other than the Kaer Morhen group.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Don't know why anyone would be expecting different lol. They have been hinting for years that the Witcher will be back once Cyberpunk is out. Though I am Curious if they will stick with Ciri or if they will do a new thing with a brand new Witcher.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I mean, they were very straightforward that The Witcher 3 was the last game where you played primarily as Geralt, but not the last Witcher game.

They essentially have two new branches already.

Lucifersam597

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Jun 28, 2018
I hope we get more info on what they plan on doing with Witcher soon. They made a point to say Geralt is done and down played Witcher really continuing. Seems like some spin off is likely but it would be nice to get a better idea what they are going to do with it.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I like Ciri but she's no Geralt. I love his voice. I'll take any Witcher though. I just love that world.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get more info on what they plan on doing with Witcher soon. They made a point to say Geralt is done and down played Witcher really continuing. Seems like some spin off is likely but it would be nice to get a better idea what they are going to do with it.

This is a company that announced a game like 3 years ago and that game is now only in like pre-alpha? This news should be taken as, obviously no surprise, but should be kept out of mind for like 5 years.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I mean. Sure, that's cool... but I feel like we're talking a 2027 game here at best sooooooooo, better release a trailer now to keep with tradition.

Oct 25, 2017
Breaking: popular game series gets new sequel in the future.

I hope they eventually reboot Rise of the White Wolf so all 3 main games so far can be on consoles.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's disappointing. I've been following The Witcher since the first game since 2007, and honestly I was satisfied with the amount of content we received for this franchise, in this industry, it felt like a refreshingly "complete" series that had a proper beginning, middle and end. I would rather CDPR go on to make their own IPs after Cyberpunk anyways.

I feel like a lot of people clamoring for a new Witcher probably only played the third and (understandably) want more of that, but to me it felt as good as a conclusive chapter as I could hope for. I applauded CDPR for being brave enough to end on such a high note, and not fall into the trap of franchise milking so many other developers even fall into.

If they do make another Witcher game, a Ciri game is the last thing I'd want- give me Letho: A Witcher's Tale.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's a prequel that allows us to create a character and choose which Witcher school to be a part of.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Hmm you would think they would do the Bioware thing and create their own IP after having lots of success with a licensed game but Eh, they know what they want.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great universe for them to really do whatever they want in. Not surprised they'll be keeping it going. Awesome, fully realized, dark semi grounded fantasy.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
A company decides to highlight another game after the previous one sold something like 15 million copies? I am shocked, shocked I tell you!

Anyways, good for CDPR, I am very much looking forward to both Cyberpunk and Witcher 4: It's Now Witching Time.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, can't be worse than what they did at the beginning of the series given where every character was by the end of the books.
it felt like a refreshingly "complete" series that had a proper beginning, middle and end.
That's the books for you.

If you read the novels it is rather weird how the entire story has a beginning, middle and end... Just to follow it all up with a rehash of the whole thing with yet another beginning, middle and end.

I love the games, but if you've read the novels, Cdprojekt approach to adapting them was rather utilitarian and you end up with a constant deja vu sensation.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
A company decides to highlight another game after the previous one sold something like 15 million copies? I am shocked, shocked I tell you!

Anyways, good for CDPR, I am very much looking forward to both Cyberpunk and Witcher 4: It's Now Witching Time.
Hmm you would think they would do the Bioware thing and create their own IP after having lots of success with a licensed game but Eh, they know what they want.
They own the IP in perpetuity. It's literally their IP as far as gaming goes. This is a well built and established world with a great trilogy of games in it. It would be weird for them to abandon it. Cyberpunk is their next IP and while also not built by CDPR, they will pretty much define it for video games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

10 million copies is the last number we have for it, though I am sure it's a fair bit higher than that now.