• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said. Massive step down. If I wanted to play a pen and paper RPG, I'd get my friends and play a pen and paper RPG.

A created character is an instant guarantee that the story will be disappointing compared to TW3.
Then get your friends to play a pen and paper rpg and don't support the game. Good thing you have this info in advance.

The story might not have the same depth and character backstory as the Witcher 3 had but I don't see why it has to be disappointing.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy that we pretty much know nothing about Cyberpunk 2077 when the game was released in January 2013. 1

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How the hell are they going to make a cyberpunk game "bigger in scope" than Witcher 3? They can't possibly be talking about world size.

The world doesn't have to be bigger in size but they could make it more detailed and focused on more complex interiors mixed in to the world. For example you have a skyscraper and you could put a number of explorable rooms and quests in them, instead of the skyscraper just being there for looks or having 1 tiny room that's explorable. The actual map size could be a bit smaller but in the end there's more to cyberpunk's map if they go that route.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Then get your friends to play a pen and paper rpg and don't support the game. Good thing you have this info in advance.

The story might not have the same depth and character backstory as the Witcher 3 had but I don't see why it has to be disappointing.

The reason Geralt worked is because he was a character through and through. You had limited control, but his wants were his wants and his desires were his desires. You simply chose the way those wants and desires were filtered in the moment. You could never break who Geralt was in the moment by making a dissonant choice.

A player-defined automaton can't have that kind of depth by merit of the fact that the devs simply can't put that level of characterization into a character who doesn't have a set backstory. It just won't work, the devs don't have the bandwidth to account for everything. Their wants and desires can't be driven by their past or their backstory, meaning they won't be able to react like an actual person. It'll always end up a kind of emotionless robot person like Shepard.

For a developer who currently holds the crown for being one of the best storytellers in the industry, this is a pretty major problem.

exo

Oct 28, 2017
Newfoundland, Canada
I'm fine with zero (z-e-r-o) information on Cyberpunk until it's on store shelves as long as the final project is satisfactory. I've waited this long, I can wait further.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk is most likely going to be a character creator deal, and have multiplayer. CDPR would then have two AAA series (Witcher with fixed character and single player, and Cyberpunk with created character and multiplayer). That keeps both sets of fans happy.

And yeah, even tho story telling is generally weaker with a created character, if there is anyone out there that can still make it good, it's CDPR.

Oct 25, 2017
The reason Geralt worked is because he was a character through and through. You had limited control, but his wants were his wants and his desires were his desires. You simply chose the way those wants and desires were filtered in the moment. You could never break who Geralt was in the moment by making a dissonant choice.

A player-defined automaton can't have that kind of depth by merit of the fact that the devs simply can't put that level of characterization into a character who doesn't have a set backstory. It just won't work, the devs don't have the bandwidth to account for everything. Their wants and desires can't be driven by their past or their backstory, meaning they won't be able to react like an actual person.

For a developer who currently holds the crown for being one of the best storytellers in the industry, this is a pretty major problem.

These are assumptions. We know that the game has multiple classes, but that doesn't mean they are blank slates.

To me it's way more exciting as it potentially allows for conpletely different stories and playstyles.

Law

Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk wild guessing may come late 2018 hope for the best in E3 like a Cinematic trailer and some gameplay.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Cyberpunk is never coming our. We all thought 2017 was the yet of Gwent, it seems like it's gonna be next year too lol

I don't believe for a second Witcher 4 (or whatever it is) is not being actively worked on tho.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
I would love to see anything on Cyberpunk. Hopefully it doesn't fall flat with its seemingly huge ambitions.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
These are assumptions. We know that the game has multiple classes, but that doesn't mean they are blank slates.

To me it's way more exciting as it potentially allows for conpletely different stories and playstyles.

It's a nice thought, but the realities of development are such that it's unrealistic to believe CDPR will succeed where literally every single RPG developer has tried and failed in the past. The budget would need to be so high it would make Fallout 4 look like Stardew Valley.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- The Cyperpunk team is happy with a currentshape of the game, they are very anxious to finally show it to the world

Music to my ears and eyes.

V7k8cpj.gif

Oct 25, 2017
It's a nice thought, but the realities of development are such that it's unrealistic to believe CDPR will succeed where literally every single RPG developer has tried and failed in the past. The budget would need to be so high it would make Fallout 4 look like Stardew Valley.

Well, they did get government funding and the team working on it is way bigger than that of TW3, so who knows.

They've said multiple times it's a much more ambitious game than TW3, so they have to put their money where their mouth is.

MisterDaku

Nov 1, 2017
Texas
My fondest tabletop memories are of playing Cyberpunk. To get the chance to be able to run around in that world would be a whole lot of fun. Really hyped to see more on that.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I just really hope they don't waste time and manpower on some unnecessary multiplayer nonsense in Cyberpunk. Gwent as MP game with singleplayer story campaigns sounds great, but for CP I just want perfect singleplayer immersive experience like with TW trilogy.
What makes it unnecessary? Isn't that kind of a kneejerk reaction? It's a new IP; if it's designed with MP in mind, then it isn't unnecessary or nonsense. It's an integral part of a new franchise. It's like hearing From was making this new game called Demons' Souls and saying multiplayer would be unnecessary nonsense in the game,

Supreme Leader Galahad

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Is this interview newish? I remember hearing almost the same info from a polish interview with him some time ago. Anyway, all i can say is take your time CDPR, more curious about what is the other game that theyll launch other than CP77 till 2021.

shazrobot

Oct 28, 2017
I keep making myself forget about 2077 so that when I finally see it my jaw will hit the floor.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
The world doesn't have to be bigger in size but they could make it more detailed and focused on more complex interiors mixed in to the world. For example you have a skyscraper and you could put a number of explorable rooms and quests in them, instead of the skyscraper just being there for looks or having 1 tiny room that's explorable. The actual map size could be a bit smaller but in the end there's more to cyberpunk's map if they go that route.

I think the map actually can be even bigger than those from The Witcher 3. Cyberpunk is supposed to be set in Night City which is described as megacity with different districts, underground locations, upper parts of the city, etc. Verticality could really add a lot to the size of the world.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What makes it unnecessary? Isn't that kind of a kneejerk reaction? It's a new IP; if it's designed with MP in mind, then it isn't unnecessary or nonsense. It's an integral part of a new franchise. It's like hearing From was making this new game called Demons' Souls and saying multiplayer would be unnecessary nonsense in the game,

It's mostly likely going to be co-op related sandbox type thing. Not GTA.

So i don't get the backlash, hope it will be put to rest like DS backlash. Plus given the game's theme it would be kind of a missed opportunity not to explore that aspect of connectivity and see how it's incorporated into the game.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That's a no from me. TW3 was already big and long enough imo.
Bigger in scope doesn't mean a bigger map. If anything, the Cyberpunk's world will probably be smaller and denser but have exponentially more verticality

This game will combine first and third person mechanics. It will have multiple character classes and character customization. It will have means to complete missions with classes as diverse as Corporate businessman and hacking Netrunner. It will have non-linear progression with augmentations and dynamic conversations and factions. And so on

Thus it will have a much bigger ambitious scope than Witcher 3.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My point is that CDP is great at making singleplayer games, and I don't want them to waste resources on multiplayer that I do not care about, personally. Witcher 3 would have been a worse game if it had less great quests because they had to dedicate manpower to some multiplayer mode that I wouldn't use anyway.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bigger in scope doesn't mean a bigger map. If anything, the Cyberpunk's world will probably be smaller and denser but have exponentially more verticality

This game will combine first and third person mechanics. It will have multiple character classes and character customization. It will have means to complete missions with classes as diverse as Corporate businessman and hacking Netrunner. It will have non-linear progression with augmentations and dynamic conversations and factions. And so on

Thus it will have a much bigger ambitious scope than Witcher 3.
Well the game is going to have both the outskirts and night-city. So there's gonna to be a lot. But of course unlike with the dark medieval europe setting that created. I mean it should still be pretty expansive but in a more controlled manner. Without having to do what Witcher 3 did with splitting it apart. Since there aren't a bunch of different night-cities to travel to.

Last edited:

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Is this interview newish? I remember hearing almost the same info from a polish interview with him some time ago. Anyway, all i can say is take your time CDPR, more curious about what is the other game that theyll launch other than CP77 till 2021.

It is a recent interview, it was posted two days ago. But yeah, Kiciński said a lot of similiar things in the past about scope of CP2077.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
My point is that CDP is great at making singleplayer games, and I don't want them to waste resources on multiplayer that I do not care about, personally. Witcher 3 would have been a worse game if it had less great quests because they had to dedicate manpower to some multiplayer mode that I wouldn't use anyway.

I wouldn't mind campaign co-op. Was fun playing Divinity 2 with a friend.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well Witcher isn't based on a P&P rpg tabletop game. A game that usually has multiple players playing like most games of it's ilk. So i don't see why it would be weird for CDP wouldn't want it for CP 2077.

Plus because its not your money and it's being paid for with something in mind specifically. You don't have to use if if you don't want. Also it's doesn't say anything about a "Mode" not talking about COD here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if we'll still get the Gwent sp campaign within this year. The little Halloween special they did was already nice

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I think you're right. I hope you're wrong - God, I hope you're wrong - but I think you're right.

I just cannot get excited for a generic sockpuppet protag.

It's going to be create-your-character like most rpgs are, it's not a set protag like the Witcher.

Doing that would kind of take away from what Cyberpunk (the Pen and paper game) is about.

Also this doesn't mean the story has to suffer, like at all.

Take a look at Mass Effect, you could create your own Shepard (male or female) and it had some great storytelling and character moments in it, especially ME2.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Was the Fallout 4 budget that high?

It was a "small" team of 130 so people, using a mostly crusty engine that has long since been amortized.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be create-your-character like most rpgs are, it's not a set protag like the Witcher.

Doing that would kind of take away from what Cyberpunk (the Pen and paper game) is about.

Also this doesn't mean the story has to suffer, like at all.

Take a look at Mass Effect, you could create your own Shepard (male or female) and it had some great storytelling and character moments in it, especially ME2.

Shepard did nothing for me, I'm afraid. The robotic, stilted voice direction, the complete lack of investment the character had in literally anything that was going on...it was just empty. I gave up after 2 because I didn't give a damn about Shepard or the core conflict. Just an empty puppet of a character. The only "character moments" were related to the romances, and I didn't like any members of the cast enough to bother with that.

It's actually half the reason I'm not excited about a character creator in this game. If Shepard is the gold standard for sockpuppet character writing, we're in for a rough ride. I need a player character I actually care about. Someone with actual emotions.