• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
It seems this tweet from Peter Gelencser was indeed about reaching important milestone in Cyberpunk development. In the latest interview with business publication Puls Biznesu:

https://translate.google.cz/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=cs&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.pb.pl/cyberpunk-liczy-kamienie-milowe-898363&edit-text=
https://www.pb.pl/cyberpunk-liczy-kamienie-milowe-898363

Adam Kicinski (CDP CEO) had this to say, (via google translate, if anyone here speak polish please feel free to provide better translation):

How are the works on "Cyberpunk 2077" going?

Adam Kiciński: We just closed an important stage of production. We had a lot of equipment left in this room, including a big screen, which proves the level of production. We are happy with the results.

Are there any threats to the schedule?

There have been no recent problems that could affect production. On the contrary - having a milestone behind us is still calmer.

Work on the game engine has been completed?

The engine is up and runnwilcourse it will be further developed. At each of our games we had to develop technology very well and this time it was the same. It must be appropriate for our needs with the specific title and the world we create and match the capabilities of the devices available on the market. Therefore, the engine needs constant updating - its modifications usually take place to a very late stage.

Release date?

You have to wait patiently for the official announcement. We will not announce the date this year, will we make an announcement next year? I can't say for certain. Commenting on the speculation market would be unfavorable for us. The most important thing is to build the most interesting players, which will translate into sales.

What will be the cost of the game?

From the beginning we assumed that it was significantly bigger than "The Witcher 3", whose budget amounted to just over PLN 300 million. Approximately half of them were marketing expenditures, most of which were not seen as costs but reduced revenues from distributors. Direct costs of production exceeded PLN 90 million. "Cyberpunk 2077" will be more expensive, but also more ambitious and, as we believe, will have significantly greater sales potential.

How many people are involved in production?

Over 300 people work on the game. It's more than the peak of The Witcher 3, but there will be a lot more in the future. About 100 people work on Gwent. Today we have the largest and best team of programmers in our history.

Is the personnel policy of CD Projekt the same as other companies in the industry?

Our goal is to make the best games in the world. The competition is sharp - not only do we have an appetite for a gold medal. In this business is like in sports. The prize, apart from financial gratification, is pride. Our people, in spite of their hardship, may say that one of the best games in the world is their work. We do not know the prescription for a perfectly planned and quiet production process, which would result in an outstanding game. Multiple iterations are an integral part of this process.

Has the rapid development of the company in recent years had a negative impact on the team?

This is an additional organizational challenge, but we have a natural continuity of team. We try to provide the best possible working conditions, because in our industry we have an employee market. We pay Polish market rates or even slightly higher, and to this large bonuses. We have a permanent profit sharing program with employees at every level. The average of the team bonuses paid in the past three years was higher than the total value of basic salaries. Rotation in the company is on a rational level.

How will you respond to the allegations that the company, in the face of information that has surfaced on the Internet, has insufficiently communicated and has not calmed down the sentiment on the stock market?

We have our own style of communication and it does not fit in the concept of "hiding your head in the sand". We want to do business so as not to be ashamed. When a problem arises, we always try to talk about it. After the first video material unfavorable for us, we published an extensive commentary by Adam Badowski, head of the studio, and Marcin Iwiński, co-founder and board member. At times, however, the level of discussion goes so low that it makes no sense to comment

Posted for Paul from the adopt a user thread.

Edit: A slightly better translation thanks to 00lsen.
Wow, the automatic translation level is really good. I wanted to translate the whole thing from the scratch, but there was no point. I just made a couple of changes, where the translation made little sense. I guess I made less than 10 changes in total:

Title "Cyberpunk counts milestones"

Adam Kiciński: We just closed an important stage of production. Just before the interview, we had a lot of equipment leaving this room, including a big screen, which proves the advancement of production. We are happy with the results.

There have been no recent problems that could affect production. On the contrary - having a milestone behind us makes us calmer.

Has the work on the game engine been completed?

The engine is up and running. Of course it will be further developed. At each of our games we had to improve the technology and this time it was the same. It must be appropriate for our needs with the specific title and the world we create and match the capabilities of the devices available on the market. Therefore, the engine needs constant updating - its modifications usually take place to a very late stage.

Release date?

You have to wait patiently for the official announcement. We will not announce the date this year, will we make an announcement next year? I can't say for certain. Commenting on the speculations would be unfavorable for us. The most important thing is to build the interest in the title which will translate into sales.

From the beginning we assumed that it was significantly bigger than "The Witcher 3", which budget amounted to just over 300 million PLN. Approximately half of them were marketing expenditures, most of which were not seen as costs but reduced revenues from distributors. Direct costs of production exceeded 90 million PLN. "Cyberpunk 2077" will be more expensive, but also more ambitious and, as we believe, will have significantly greater sales potential.

How many people are involved in the production?

Over 300 people work on the game. It's more than the peak of The Witcher 3, but there will be a lot more in the future. About 100 people work on Gwent. Today we have the largest and best team of programmers in our history.

Is the personnel policy of CD Projekt the same as other companies in the industry?

Our goal is to make the best games in the world. The competition is sharp - we are not the only ones that have an appetite for a gold medal. This business is like sports. The prize, apart from financial gratification, is pride. Our people, in spite of their hardship, may say at the end that one of the best games in the world is their work. We do not know the prescription for a perfectly planned and comfortable production process, that would result in an outstanding game. Multiple iterations are an integral part of this process.

Has the rapid development of the company in recent years had a negative impact on the team?

This is an additional organizational challenge, but we have a natural continuity of the team. We try to provide the best possible working conditions, because in our industry we have an employee market. We pay Polish market rates or even slightly higher, and to this we add large bonuses. We have a permanent profit sharing program with employees at every level. The average of the team bonuses paid in the past three years was higher than the total value of basic salaries. Rotation in the company is on a rational level.

How will you respond to the allegations that the company, in the face of information that has surfaced on the Internet, has insufficiently communicated and has not calmed down the atmosphere on the stock market?

We have our own style of communication and it does not fit in the concept of "hiding your head in the sand". We want to do business so as not to be ashamed. When a problem arises, we always try to talk about it. After the first video material unfavorable for us, we published an extensive commentary by Adam Badowski, head of the studio, and Marcin Iwiński, co-founder and board member. At times, however, the level of discussion goes so low that it makes no sense to comment

Last edited:

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
What was the milestone? First draft of the script? Sorry, but after that YongYea video I have very little faith in how CDPR runs, develops their games, and treats their employees.

Get_crazy

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting read. It's cool to see they're not pressured to give a release date by a publisher, they'll tell when they're ready.

If anyone in CD Projekt is reading: "keep up the good work, I'll be waiting."

Edit: I haven't seen the video the poster above me is talking about but I still want to trust them.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Significantly greater sales potential sounds very ambitious to me, considering how well Witcher 3 sold and its mass market appeal as a fantasy western RPG in a post-skyrim and game of thrones world. Cyberpunk as a genre has shown signs of weakness lately, so it'll be interesting to see if they can revitalize it a bit. I'm guessing they mean its higher sales potential will come from it being a first person shooter with online components.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
They're expecting cyberpunk 2077 to have significantly greater sales potential than the TW3? that's skyrim level. I'm not sure of that's reasonable to expect.

OP
OP
Simo

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Significantly greater sales potential sounds very ambitious to me, considering how well Witcher 3 sold and its mass market appeal as a fantasy western RPG in a post-skyrim and game of thrones world. Cyberpunk as a genre has shown signs of weakness lately, so it'll be interesting to see if they can revitalize it a bit. I'm guessing they mean its higher sales potential will come from it being a first person shooter with online components.

I'd imagine marketing and materials being something to akin to "GTA meets Cyberpunk" to attract that kind of crowd given the supposed freedom and open world of Night City will involve. I mean for console owners I doubt, could be wrong I have nothing to back it up, Witcher was a big IP until W3 with the marketing and hype building it up.

It's supposed to be both third and first person and the rumours about how ambitious the city is revolves around everything. From flying through the skies in your own Spinner aka Blade Runner 2049 to the engine using the power of dynamic weather to instead render destructible enviroments that over time will be rebuilt in real time by robots and the sort.

MidiPour

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
They're expecting cyberpunk 2077 to have significantly greater sales potential than the TW3? that's skyrim level. I'm not sure of that's reasonable to expect.
Especially since cyberpunk typically is not the genre to set the world on fire, there are a few exceptions, but generally it'll be a harder sell.

RoboticWater

Oct 27, 2017
Is it actually an employee's market? I thought the overabundance of starry-eyed, just-out-of-college developers shifted the power towards the employer. That might be the case in general software development, but the games industry has been notoriously harsh on developers, and I've not seen anything contradict that lately. In fact, I continue to hear about low wages and poor working conditions.

And wait, wasn't the commentary by Badowski basically just: "this is a big project, game development is hard, the developers know what they signed up for."

Arcoril

Oct 27, 2017
Especially since cyberpunk typically is not the genre to set the world on fire, there are a few exceptions, but generally it'll be a harder sell.

Go back a decade and comic book movies were pretty far from setting the box office on fire. I'm really, really hoping that CDPR can do the same for cyberpunk in the gaming world.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Witcher 3 is most likely already approaching Skyrim level, actually. We know it sold around 10 million more than a year ago, right now it has 4.2 million on steam, meaning total PC sales should be around 8 million (since all the retail copies and digital nonsteam copies use GOG, not steam). Then there are consoles each of which probably sold also around that number.

MidiPour

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Go back a decade and comic book movies were pretty far from setting the box office on fire. I'm really, really hoping that CDPR can do the same for cyberpunk in the gaming world.
If Blade Runner 2049 didn't do, I'm going to remain cynical that a game with cyberpunk on the title can. But hey, it might be the next Matrix in the entertainment medium.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Translation is pretty good. From what he's saying the development is going good. But I don't know about higher sales potential than W3. Ofc I hope the game is great and they can pull it off.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
You have to wait patiently for the official announcement. We will not announce the date this year, will we make an announcement next year? I can't say for certain. Commenting on the speculation market would be unfavorable for us. The most important thing is to build the most interesting players, which will translate into sales.

lol.
2020 and next gen it is then?

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What was the milestone? First draft of the script? Sorry, but after that YongYea video I have very little faith in how CDPR runs, develops their games, and treats their employees.

Is this for real?

Are we at that point where we're going to trust what some YT schmuck says more than the developer's own comments?

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it'll be a great game and all, I hope they do well. Personally however, I feel that it's not going to be my cup pf tea.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm hoping there's a trailer and a proper reveal at next E3. An open world cyberpunk game sounds really exciting. If I had to guess the release date, I'd say probably mid-2019 or something.

GUMDROP

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If Blade Runner 2049 didn't do, I'm going to remain cynical that a game with cyberpunk on the title can. But hey, it might be the next Matrix in the entertainment medium.

Equating Blade Runner and Cyberpunk 2077 is silly. Blade Runner was an almost 3 hour long film based on a cult-classic with an awkward marketing campaign to boot. Cyberpunk 2077 is essentially the second game from a developer who just reached mass appeal bringing something fresh to a market that is in prime growth. I think one has better odds than the other.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Translation: "The allegations aren't wrong but that's just the way it is".

I adored the output of CD Project so far but the way things seem to be going behind the scenes are reason for some concern, I'd say. Even if the impact is not immediate, that kind of unpleasant stuff tends to get back around at you down the road, when word has spread, top talent avoids you and quality inevitably drops. I hope that's not happening here but CD Project should definitely take the criticism to heart.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the impact is not immediate, that kind of unpleasant stuff tends to get back around at you down the road, when word has spread, top talent avoids you and quality inevitably drops.
That sure happened at Rockstar.

In less pithy terms, that certainly is a possibility, but it is by no means a categorical truth.

OP
OP
Simo

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Some of this stuff was being rumored and spread around before The Witcher 3 iirc and some thought it spelled doom and gloom for the game. Red is now 400+ employees with 300 or so working solely on Cyberpunk and still hiring more and more folks including key people who left for other ventures and them came back.

Let's actually wait to see something substantial from the studio for Cyberpunk rather than already passing judgement on it. lol

Oct 25, 2017
This was my thought as well. Didn't TW3 ship like 10M?

Wait, Cyberpunk is a FPS?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
lol.
2020 and next gen it is then?

I mean, it's a brand new IP & they're aiming for something the size of Witcher 3 if not bigger I would imagine. So yea, it's gonna take time. Blood and Wine came out last year, so something like 2020 makes sense.

As for his talk about release dates, it makes sense. Why announce a game when it's not ready? People here talk shit about Kingdom Hearts 3 and other games, why would a developer want to open themselves up to that criticism?

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
This was my thought as well. Didn't TW3 ship like 10M?

Wait, Cyberpunk is a FPS?
I'm guessing it'll have that element, and some MP / shared world hooks... otherwise I really can't see what they think makes it have more mass appeal than TW3. Whatever it is, I can't wait to see it because it's probably quite big.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Here you go if you're interested in seeing the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBuoexbVEFE
Was there ever any actual investigation into this by a journalist? I'm all for anonymous business ess review sites but basing your theory only on that source of information can be difficult to prove, and I know that he states that in his opening but I would like to have further development on it first before coming to any conclusion.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I really don't know what I should expect gameplay wise. Mass Effect-ish? Fallout?

And this is my first post on the new forum, hey

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Is this for real?

Are we at that point where we're going to trust what some YT schmuck says more than the developer's own comments?

Personally I get all of my game development news from anonymous posts on Glassdoor

Wasn't there some big "leak" prior to W3's release about what a disaster it was going to be? People bankin on that one sure did end up looking foolish.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Personally I get all of my game development news from anonymous posts on Glassdoor

Wasn't there some big "leak" prior to W3's release about what a disaster it was going to be? People bankin on that one sure did end up looking foolish.

Yeah, here are his posts on GAF. Of course lots of people went wild with them.

Anaxymenes said:
it looks like many gaffers are painting CDP as some magical dev studio with only the best of interests of the gamers in mind. Trust me they are not. The bullshitting with the Witcher 3 started from day 1. PR is creating an overblown vision of a game that doesn't exist while the team is in crazy crunch time for over a year now. There's some bad shit going on that if GAF knew GAF would not like.

Anaxymenes said:
Well in the end it's my words vs CDP PR. I mean why should You belive my if I have no solid evidence to show? But that's kind of my point, CDP build a very good realationship with gamers and now it's paying off as oppose to say EA. I do have inside knowledge, I did have contact with the game but again NDA and such plus I'm just a dude on the internet. my only point is that GAF should take everything CDP says with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Just to some up my messy line of thinking - don't preorder tha game (especially on consols) wait for the reviews, then decide or don't pay attention to a random dude on the internet and do what you want with your money.

Guy was verified. It's entirely possible that there were problems during development and heavy crunch but his statements don't really align with the state of the game at release, which was everything promised and more. So either this guy wasn't fully aware of what was going on at CDPR or CDPR did some wizardry in the final year up to release and pulled one of the best games of all time out of thin air or the guy just wanted to stir the pot. Guess we'll never know.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I appreciate the transparency in the last paragraph about employee treatment. They don't just neglect and deflect the issue, they aknowledge it. Running such a massive company isn't easy, and they know they've got problems to solve about how they've structured the workspace. I do still suspect they totally, knowingly subjected large teams to unjustified amounts of crunch and dangle the carrot with no end in sight, but at least they're aknowledging they know it's not always as it should be.

I still expect it to be true they've downscaled the ambition a bit from the initial boastings, whether it means they've cut a fully featured character creator or whatever. I don't want this, but I get a feeling at least some of the rumors are true or there would be no fuss at this time about this company. Here's hoping the product turns out to be every bit as impressive as Witcher 3 though, and then hopefully CDPR gets their manegerial problems resolved sooner or later so the reputation won't go any lower and their employees can have an acceptable work/life balance.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
Was there ever any actual investigation into this by a journalist? I'm all for anonymous business ess review sites but basing your theory only on that source of information can be difficult to prove, and I know that he states that in his opening but I would like to have further development on it first before coming to any conclusion.
I hear where you're coming from. I too was hoping for some kind of deep investigation or some sort of official/legitimate/credible source(s). But unless I missed it, nothing came up.

MidiPour

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Equating Blade Runner and Cyberpunk 2077 is silly. Blade Runner was an almost 3 hour long film based on a cult-classic with an awkward marketing campaign to boot. Cyberpunk 2077 is essentially the second game from a developer who just reached mass appeal bringing something fresh to a market that is in prime growth. I think one has better odds than the other.

I think you're cherry picking here. 2077 is based on the Cyberpunk RPG franchise that has existed and extends into many different mediums, and Witcher stays in fairly safe territory theme and lore-wise, even if it's considered low fantasy compared to its contemporaries. Blade Runner had decent marketing exposure, was one of the few sci-fis to fair well on Metacritic and RottenTomatoes, had an ensemble of famous actors, considered by many regular viewers one of the best sci-fi movies in the last decade, had an anime short composed by the director of Bebop, Animatrix and Champloo. I simply think it's an issue with theme, it doesn't have the same public interest as Fantasy.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't sure if they will anounce the release date next year? Yeah, its a 20/21 title.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I think gaming audience is more receptive and has a bigger history of cyberpunk. Deus Ex, elements of System Shock, Syndicate, Snatcher, Shadowrun, Uplink, recent games like Gemini Rue, Observer, Ruiner, Transistor, Invisible Inc, Volume, etc

Film may have more impact, but I think we've gotten more long-running and more recent cyberpunk in games

Plus "sci-fi RPG shooter from The Witcher developers with multiplayer" probably appeals to a wider audience than Blade Runner

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
It's YongYea, he kept posting random bullshit during the leadup to TPP. Don't expect anything from his videos.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It's YongYea, he kept posting random bullshit during the leadup to TPP. Don't expect anything from his videos.
I said in the other thread that in September, the channel posted a video about the rumors of the world size and how the Cyberpunk creator said the game has all the 2020 classes, and then the same channel posted a video this month with completely contradictory rumors that the world is much smaller and has a set character instead of classes

So that channel hasn't done itself many favors in terms of credibility IMO

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I hope Cyberpunk triggers a cyberpunk renaissance in games because I need way more in my life.
Also they might make another Deus Ex if it does well.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
How much is the success of Witcher 3 thanks to the Fantasy popularity of Game of thrones, Skyrim, etc

By comparison then how will Cyberpunk 2077 fair? when Cyberpunk as a genre overall is very niche and overlooked at the Box office etc

Ghost in the Shell live action, flopped despite having Scarlet Johanson as lead, Bladerunner 2049 flopped at the box office (despite having Harrison Ford just come off the sucess of Star Wars, Ryan Gosling being quite a popular actor and even Teen favourite and 30 second to mars singer Jared Leto not this could sway the public interest)

Deus Ex on current Gen systems was overlooked and even Dredd back in 2012 despite being a hit with the critics again the audience just wasn't interested. Almost Human (Starring Karl Urban and had JJ Abrams as a producer) was cancelled after just One Season.

Thats just a few examples and there are quite a few more such as Tron, Ex Machina, Watchdogs etc

What then besides (from the makers of The Witcher 3) will drive an audience to this game do you think?

My wish is that it will singlehandedly renew the interest of the Cyberpunk genre to the public, making it a extremely popular Genre and therefore increasing not only the Quantity but the overall Quality of Movies and TV series and Games and other media released in this Genre

Yet somehow I doubt that, I think it will do well, but I'm not sure it will reach the heights of Witcher 3 sales.

Last edited:

MidiPour

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I think gaming audience is more receptive and has a bigger history of cyberpunk. Deus Ex, elements of System Shock, Syndicate, Snatcher, Shadowrun, Uplink, recent games like Gemini Rue, Observer, Ruiner, Transistor, Invisible Inc, Volume, etc

Film may have more impact, but I think we've gotten more long-running and more recent cyberpunk in games

Plus "sci-fi RPG shooter from The Witcher developers with multiplayer" probably appeals to a wider audience than Blade Runner
I love a lot of the games that you mentioned, as a big cyberpunk fan, but most of them didn't fair that well. At least, again, compared to fantasy games. They simply have enough success to be profitable. However, the latter part part is fair, and we have seen enough of the game's presentation to be able to judge the game's potential. I really do wish cyberpunk was more successful, as games like Shadowrun, Soul Hackers, Snatcher, Oberver, Transistor and Inivisible Inc have been nothing short but amazing.

00lsen

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Wow, the automatic translation level is really good. I wanted to translate the whole thing from the scratch, but there was no point. I just made a couple of changes, where the translation made little sense. I guess I made less than 10 changes in total:

Title "Cyberpunk counts milestones"

Adam Kiciński: We just closed an important stage of production. Just before the interview, we had a lot of equipment leaving this room, including a big screen, which proves the advancement of production. We are happy with the results.

There have been no recent problems that could affect production. On the contrary - having a milestone behind us makes us calmer.

Has the work on the game engine been completed?

The engine is up and running. Of course it will be further developed. At each of our games we had to improve the technology and this time it was the same. It must be appropriate for our needs with the specific title and the world we create and match the capabilities of the devices available on the market. Therefore, the engine needs constant updating - its modifications usually take place to a very late stage.

Release date?

You have to wait patiently for the official announcement. We will not announce the date this year, will we make an announcement next year? I can't say for certain. Commenting on the speculations would be unfavorable for us. The most important thing is to build the interest in the title which will translate into sales.

From the beginning we assumed that it was significantly bigger than "The Witcher 3", which budget amounted to just over 300 million PLN. Approximately half of them were marketing expenditures, most of which were not seen as costs but reduced revenues from distributors. Direct costs of production exceeded 90 million PLN. "Cyberpunk 2077" will be more expensive, but also more ambitious and, as we believe, will have significantly greater sales potential.

How many people are involved in the production?

Our goal is to make the best games in the world. The competition is sharp - we are not the only ones that have an appetite for a gold medal. This business is like sports. The prize, apart from financial gratification, is pride. Our people, in spite of their hardship, may say at the end that one of the best games in the world is their work. We do not know the prescription for a perfectly planned and comfortable production process, that would result in an outstanding game. Multiple iterations are an integral part of this process.

This is an additional organizational challenge, but we have a natural continuity of the team. We try to provide the best possible working conditions, because in our industry we have an employee market. We pay Polish market rates or even slightly higher, and to this we add large bonuses. We have a permanent profit sharing program with employees at every level. The average of the team bonuses paid in the past three years was higher than the total value of basic salaries. Rotation in the company is on a rational level.

How will you respond to the allegations that the company, in the face of information that has surfaced on the Internet, has insufficiently communicated and has not calmed down the atmosphere on the stock market?

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Fantasy is much easier to digest than hard or even soft sci fi, the market is not as big.
But it should still be a multi million seller.