• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
So prior to the camera perspective being very controversial, I remember some controversy over Cyberpunk 2077 having a character creator instead of a pre-set character like The Witcher.

I thought some people might be interested in CD Projekt's explanation of why they went that route.

Character Creator:

Shacknews: "Was there a plan to have one set character like the Witcher series and it changed to having character creation?"

CD Projekt: "So for us, becaues it's like originally based upon the pen and paper game Cyberpunk 2020, and a big part of that is creating your own character, that was a big inspiration for us doing this, to kind of take from the original source material and bring it to this. And we want to make sure we deliver on, you know, having a really immersive experience, so having your own character, you know, we think really plays well into that as well."

They also gave an update on multiplayer, confirming that they are in fact doing it, and that it will stick to the core of what the studio does, but that again, the main pitch here is the singleplayer campaign. If you don't remember previous interviews, it sounds like the multiplayer is coming post launch.

Mutliplayer:

Shacknews: "Is it 100% singleplayer experience?"

CD Projekt: "So we have announced that we will be doing a multiplayer, but that's currently in R&D phase. Right now, we solely want to foucs on making a kickass singleplayer game, and that's our goal. So that's the main thing for our game."
Shacknews: "Gotcha, so multiplayer's in R&D, but not really talking about that, just singleplayer in the main experience."

CD Projekt: "Yeah, exactly. We are like primarily a singleplayer studio, as you know with The Witcher, and that's really important to us giving that, you know, that's why people love The Witcher, so we want to give that. And, whenever we do decide to do... you know, whatever multiplayer takes form as, just know that we are doing the research to make sure it sticks to our core as a studio as well."

They talk a bit more about things like why they went with a first person camera and how vehicles work, but I believe that's been covered in previous interviews and previews in more detail.

Source:

Nov 3, 2017
Pray the multiplayer doesn't have any effect on the single

Would be cool if it was something like Watch Dog's multiplayer than the traditional

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it wasn't going to have multiplayer at launch. Has that changed?

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it wasn't going to have multiplayer at launch. Has that changed?
As it stands, they don't seem to expect it at launch due to when they started making it, but the game is still a while away, so uh, it most likely depends on when the game comes out and how fast they settle on a game design for it.

Deleted member 29909

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't see how their second AAA game could be anything but a standalone online version.

Edit: Unless it's a next-gen TW3 remaster or something.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Character creation is one of the best aspects of true role-playing games and I'm glad they're letting us do so.

Also, I look forward to the irrational meltdowns if CD Projekt Red ever refers to this as a GaaS.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will be one of the first PS5 games I buy and I'm happy they're focused on single player. I don't need MP for a game like this.

Character creator though, hmm. Not sure how I feel about this.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i could be totally wrong but V still feels like a pre-set character just with a lot of customization options (gender, hair, face etc) and a couple options for you background (that whole lifepath system).
basically they are doing the same thing that mass effect did. not that there is anything wrong with that, i like what they are doing with the main character.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I figured Multiplayer would be a free update or expansion post release. Is this what that new studio is working on? I don't see this being a simple mode either. would be cool if it was kinda rogue-like co-op where you roll a character for a session with friends and see how far you get. I don't imagine it would be anything like GTA V online with the creation tools, I also don't see pvp happening but it's anyones guess. uncharted territory for them really.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Their messaging about multiplayer seems all over the place for this game. I swear we had articles saying it'd be a purely singleplayer focused game not so long ago.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Hope they can have a GTA Online-esque multiplayer, that would be the dream (without the pay2win currency).

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Co-op campaign. Offer companions Mass Effect style quips, vote on quest choices. Have a multitude of ways to finish quests to encourage replayability.

Diablo-esque rifts for gear and gold.
Mass effect 3 separate multiplayer.
GTA Online.
Etc.

There's dozens of ways.
Is there even a focus on loot in the game?

Deleted member 29354

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
"If"

Also multiplayer is a service element
what makes you think they *might* start with this game? I only ask because I don't fully understand all the ways a game could fall into the GaaS category. Also, does the multiplayer element counting as a service work on the assumption that it will not be fully fleshed post-launch? For comparison, do games that have a dedicated multiplayer component that offer no content updates still count as a service/GaaS?

joylevel11

Banned
May 19, 2018
Hope they don't end up like Rockstar. I'm all for them giving MP a shot but if ends up being successful enough for them to not focus on SP I'll be disappointed.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what makes you think they *might* start with this game? I only ask because I don't fully understand all the ways a game could fall into the GaaS category. Also, does the multiplayer element counting as a service work on the assumption that it will not be fully fleshed post-launch? For comparison, do games that have a dedicated multiplayer component that offer no content updates still count as a service/GaaS?
I think of GaaS as any game that receives continuous updates post launch. My line of thinking is that since this game at some point will have a multiplayer component (presumably monetized somehow) they *could* refer to it as a service game because that seems to be how many companies classify it. Just me speculating.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
Hope they don't end up like Rockstar. I'm all for them giving MP a shot but if ends up being successful enough for them to not focus on SP I'll be disappointed.

Exactly this. Nothing turns me away from a game faster is multiplayer only. Unless some of my friends have it as well, which is rare. Just give me my SP experience that I can go at my own pace.

Deleted member 29354

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think of GaaS as any game that receives continuous updates post launch. My line of thinking is that since this game at some point will have a multiplayer component (presumably monetized somehow) they *could* refer to it as a service game because that seems to be how many companies classify it. Just me speculating.
gotcha, thanks for sharing.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
i could be totally wrong but V still feels like a pre-set character just with a lot of customization options (gender, hair, face etc) and a couple options for you background (that whole lifepath system).

basically they are doing the same thing that mass effect did. not that there is anything wrong with that, i like what they are doing with the main character.

I hope they pull it off better than BioWare tends to. Lead character writing in BW games tends to be bland and forgettable because they basically do "One scripts fits everything" pass on writing and just swap around word from here and there. Like instead of "sister" some NPC says "brother" in Andromeda if you play femRyder. Gender and race has next to no impact on how world reacts to you.

CDPR did talk about gender having very clear effect on how different NPC's treat you so it does sound promising, and hopefully they can pull it off properly so it matters what gender, race or maybe even sexuality you play as.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
How does multiplayer make sense for this type of game?

take everything learned from making the Gwent client

+

adn49_sample.png

?

V is fully voiced character.

that's rad they're doing 2 whole voice sets, one male and one female

Deleted member 11018

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
So prior to the camera perspective being very controversial, I remember some controversy over Cyberpunk 2077 having a character creator instead of a pre-set character like The Witcher.
..... I can't believe this was actually a thing. I already thought the perspective "controversy" was one of the most stupid things I had ever heard, was there really a controversy over a character creator?

Innuendo84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can live without a character creator. Planescape torment didn't have it and now it's classic.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
I hope the multiplayer is watchdogs style. Opt-in 1v1 in a huge city would be sweet

Oct 31, 2017
How does multiplayer make sense for this type of game?
No one knows what they will be doing (IF they'll do it at all, since as they stated it's currently in R&D and they could never end with anything satisfying enough for them) but I could easily guess half a dozen possible setups.

The most obvious one for a singleplayer-focused game would be something like Dark Souls, obviously adapted in a lore-friendly manner. I.e. the player could be able to hire "goons" from a terminal to help him with a mission and those would be co-op "summons", while for the PVP the "invaders" could take the role of netrunners hired to get you if you pissed off the wrong faction.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I'm really curious about what the character creator is like. Soon they've gotta stop talking and start showing.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I can live without a character creator. Planescape torment didn't have it and now it's classic.

PST revolves around a specific protagonist with a specific history and specific relationships with other characters. A character creator wouldn't make much sense in that context. Same goes for The Witcher.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
First person, and character creation.....yuk