• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
But the studio's new crunch stance has been a boost to staff morale, says quest director!
For two years in a row, CD Projekt Red has seen Cyberpunk 2077 dominate E3.

ICO Partners revealed that the open-world RPG received more press coverage than any other game during E3 week, but we didn't need data to discover that. GamesIndustry.biz spoke to our sister publications ahead of the event about what they were most looking forward to seeing, and Cyberpunk was the unifying response. And the moment Keanu Reeves brought the house down during Microsoft's press conference, it was apparent that CD Projekt Red had done it again.

Now the team just has to manage the impossible task of living up to the hype when the game launches in April next year.

"It goes both ways," begins Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz, quest director on Cyberpunk 2077. "First of all, it's super exciting because obviously you want people to love the game you are making and to be excited about it as much as we are. On the other hand, it's stressful because it's a huge pressure, especially now we have a release date announced.
more at link

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I mean, they jumpstarted the hype machine, it's their own fault that people expect them to live up to it.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
This game has a lot to live up to in the eyes of most gamers. I don't envy having to make and release this thing, but it feels like they've got the chops to pull it off.

I'm confident they will.

Spongehead56

Jul 6, 2018
Wisconsin
This particular quote doesn't concern me. Anyone would feel a lot of pressure when their upcoming piece of art is going to be debuted to huge expectations. This points more to problems with the hype cycles than it does management practices.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This game has a lot to live up to in the eyes of most gamers. I don't envy having to make and release this thing, but it feels like they've got the chops to pull it off.

I'm confident they will.
Yeah, definitely. But for me personally, whatever they pull off, I'm expecting a The Witcher 3 scope game but set in Cyberpunk, so I'll probably be sated regardless.

I felt that the way they announce the game was handle pretty well given it not news of the game 24/7. But cyberpunk the series has always had interest from pretty much every community and this will be one of the biggest that has queer and gender coating in many places. I was always going to get attention regardless of how much they put out.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Don't let me down CD*

*the last of your games i played was the witcher 1 so i don't even have full expectations

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I'm confident they will.
It has to follow up Witcher 3, one of the most celebrated titles of all time. If not even still the one with most goty awards. And not to mention how one of its expansions was even winning rpg of the year titles.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you've ever worked on a collaborative creative work, you will get this feeling. That you have to do more, not only to meet the expectations of your bosses and your audience but those of your co-workers and your own expectations as well. That's why it's especially important for management to support the people "in the trenches".

Lemon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game will get delayed to October like Red Dead Redemption 2 and even then there will still be crunch. Fuck this industry.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
This game will get delayed to October like Red Dead Redemption 2 and even then there will still be crunch. Fuck this industry.

That's what my gut is telling me too. April feels like an ambitious release date for this massive game. Although I feel like they'll try to release it a little before the new consoles come out like August or September.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
This particular quote doesn't concern me. Anyone would feel a lot of pressure when their upcoming piece of art is going to be debuted to huge expectations. This points more to problems with the hype cycles than it does management practices.

The thread seems to have already taken their interpretation and run with it but I agree, it's more political/fan pressure from hype than inter-office work pressure.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
There are new articles of any given direction nearly daily on this game and it isn't even near release, it's wild. Scandals, joy, pain, it's like a Greek video game tragedy so I can't imagine how dramatic it'll get when it turns out to not deliver on some small details fans have gotten in their heads.
Care to post any? Outside of like 2 rps articles all I've seen was people excited,talking about Keanu, or talking about how it was the most loved game of e3.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are new articles of any given direction nearly daily on this game and it isn't even near release, it's wild. Scandals, joy, pain, it's like a Greek video game tragedy so I can't imagine how dramatic it'll get when it turns out to not deliver on some small details fans have gotten in their heads.
There was a guy in the E3 thread who went off on a rant about what he wanted the game to be and how the game he had in his mind was his dream game so the direction cdpr was going was getting him less excited. All because the first video they used to first bring in people to work on this title differed to what we're getting now style wise.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Someone needs to tell those devs that because you're passionate about you're work and want to put in extra hours, you're fucking up the system for everyone else because of peer pressure. Screw this 'non-obligatory' crunch. Set a nice fixed schedule or hours per week and let that be the end of it.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anytime you have a deadline people are gonna be stressed out. Not just with crunch.

Hell they can delay that bad boy till fall so i can play it on the PS5 and I'd be ok with that.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Uh, no. I don't have time/nor care to fact check my flippant video game forum posts.
It's good, gamer persecution complex annoys me sometimes. Just wanted to know if that's what it was or where people actually shiting on the game, because I'm been hearing some really great stuff(from previews/interviews) that has made me even more excited for the game.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The usual issue with non-obligatory crunch is that it still sets an expectation for doing crunch if other people in your team are doing it. The FOMO of promotions or bonus's.... so I guess it depends on how they handle that... I've never been a big fan of some staff are "Passionate", suggests that others are not just on the basis of people doing overtime.

Game looks great and cannot wait for it though.

Dec 6, 2017
US
It's good, gamer persecution complex annoys me sometimes. Just wanted to know if that's what it was or where people actually shiting on the game.

It was a fancy pants way of saying "This game is getting coverage like crazy which means serious fan investment and no matter what these poor fuckers over at CDPR end up doing, there's going to be some nuclear-sized fallout from some segment of the fan base because XYZ minute factor". In short, I feel kinda bad for the teams working on these types of projects.

I don't have a particular opinion on the game at all outside of looking cool and interesting and I'll check out reviews when they hit honestly.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
It was a fancy pants way of saying "This game is getting coverage like crazy which means serious fan investment and no matter what these poor fuckers over at CDPR end up doing, there's going to be some nuclear-sized fallout from some segment of the fan base because XYZ minute factor". In short, I feel kinda bad for the teams working on these types of projects.

I don't have a particular opinion on the game at all outside of looking cool and interesting and I'll check out reviews when they hit honestly.
See I weirdly have too much faith in them lol, Witcher 3 is sooo fucking good.My only fear is that they could be pushing hard for the 2020 pre-next gen date. I just hope they really give this game the time it needs, I really wanna see how "branching" the story is.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was skeptical that CDPR could release a top-quality open world game before TW3 released.

I am not skeptical this time.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It probably doesn't help that the staff have to live up to Witcher 3, which is honestly the greatest WRPG I have ever played.

Personally, everything I've seen of the game indicates that I'm going to looooooove this game. It's like the Witcher mixed with immersive sims like Deus Ex and Prey. April can't come soon enough.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
well after witcher 2 and 3 being more than disappointing for me they still have to prove they can get back to what made Witcher special in the first place. Hold right click + investigate stuff with most of quests being beyond boring outside of the more than well known ones and a couple of really dream like / extra worldly stuff in skellige (which was easily the best part of the game) didn't do enough to renew my faith, especially after that they ditched everything that made 1 great to take the safest, most boring route with 2

Better have good shit this time around CDPR. Blood & Wine was amazing but that doesn't excuse the rest

Dec 6, 2017
US
See I weirdly have too much faith in them lol, Witcher 3 is sooo fucking good.My only fear is that they could be pushing hard for the 2020 pre-next gen date. I just hope they really give this game the time it needs, I really wanna see how "branching" the story is.

I'm not an open-world fan and the comments on the combat always turned me off, so I've never played Witcher 3. Cyberpunk though looks more up my alley and I'm definitely interested. I'll certainly check it out when it hits, it looks very promising.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Tomaszkiewicz notes that the "non-obligatory" part of the policy -- an element that has faced some criticism -- comes from the fact that some of the studio's staff simply want to put in the extra hours.

"It's especially visible not just in games but in the industries where you work on projects that you are passionate about and you want to deliver something special. Artists, I believe, crunch; movie makers, painters, sculptors and so on... When you create something with passion and you want it to be really, really good, you're willing to go this extra step for it."

Pretty clear crunch is still part of their culture, that they'd try to defend the concept as people simply being passionate about the project.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
It has to follow up Witcher 3, one of the most celebrated titles of all time. If not even still the one with most goty awards. And not to mention how one of its expansions was even winning rpg of the year titles.

Ohhh boy, the salt mines from FromSoft fans was a thing of beauty when Blood & Wine snagged RPG of the Year.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I mean, they jumpstarted the hype machine, it's their own fault that people expect them to live up to it.

Yep, they should've taken the route of what they took with Witcher 3 and hype it up a bit but not too much where they feel the pressure that they feel now. That's my biggest concern here. I feel like now they claim they feel the pressure they are possibly going to do something they are going to regret. Hopefully they overcome it.​

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Pretty clear crunch is still part of their culture, that they'd try to defend the concept as people simply being passionate about the project.

Co-founder of company said stern "Yes" multiple times to Jason when Jason gave him example of developer wanting to work only 10AM to 6PM, asking if that is possible now in CDPR and would said worker be safe (read: no retaliations, firing...).

I think no matter what CDPR does about their work environment and culture ERA will never believe them. At least they seem to be regretful of crunch that happened for TW3 and not take price in cracking whip like some other dev houses.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, they should've taken the route of what they took with Witcher 3 and hype it up a bit but not too much where they feel the pressure that they feel now. That's my biggest concern here. I feel like now they claim they feel the pressure they are possibly going to do something they are going to regret. Hopefully they overcome it.​
They were a relative unknown then. This is amuch different situation