• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Regardless of how exactly big the risk is, not attending big events with thousands of people from all around the world right now is definitely prudent.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh as someone who works in a crowded service place and has serious anxiety shit like this does me no favors.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of how exactly big the risk is, not attending big events with thousands of people from all around the world right now is definitely prudent.
Not to mention not going through an airport then trapped on a plane with people whose recent travel history you do not know. I would feel (relatively) fine attending an large event right now but I would not fly anywhere at the moment unless absolutely necessary.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I can try to educate a bit. The coronavirus is just flu, if you are not usually scared of catching the seasonal flu when you go to an event you should not be scared of catching the coronavirus. A bit less even, since the lethality of the coronavirus is lower than the one of the regular flu.

Most of the coronavirus stuff on the TV is fearmongering, honestly, it is just flu.

Can you come to Asia and say that again?

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm worried about the BG3 showing.
I doubt anything will happen with it. This thread is some legit fake news. Neither Projekt Red, EA or Capcom were showing anything off. Square's booth will still be there. Just Capcom and Square's Japanese guests backed out and Square cancelled two fan gatherings. At the moment Sony remains the only company who has cancelled a booth / cancelled showing anything new.

Projekt Red was attending as guests. Spinning this to look like a domino effect post Sony bailing out is ridiculous since them not being there doesn't affect other attendees. The fact that there are multiple threads trying to promote this false narrative is alarming.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
Remember the thread when PlayStation pulled out of PAX and how it was filled with people saying it's an "overreaction" , "fear mongering" , "racism" , "they simply having nothing to show" and other conspiracy theory level shit was posted and how Era moderation defended those posters by making a staff post legitimizing them? Good times.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

Mortality rate for Coronavirus is 20x that of seasonal flu. Stop posting, seriously.

CDC has already declared it a public health crisis and Congress has been informed that a vaccine is 12-18 months away.

They are openly discussing canceling the Olympics, it's malpractice to have any kind of international mass exposure event while it's still uncontained and untreatable.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I can try to educate a bit. The coronavirus is just flu, if you are not usually scared of catching the seasonal flu when you go to an event you should not be scared of catching the coronavirus. A bit less even, since the lethality of the coronavirus is lower than the one of the regular flu.

Most of the coronavirus stuff on the TV is fearmongering, honestly, it is just flu.

You sound like you know what you're talking about. It isn't like there's a famous case of a flu epidemic killing like 50 million people.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Does not seem to be accurate.

So far this flu season, about 0.05% of people who caught the flu have died from the virus in the U.S., according to CDC data.

The death rate for COVID-19 appears to be higher than that of the flu.

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. That's much higher than the death rate linked to flu, which is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to The New York Times.

That is a dramatically higher death rate and it's cause for concern

For anyone who may have underlying health issues (known or unknown!) it's extremely deadly. For anyone older it's extremely deadly.

If I had a company and I was in charge of people and their safety I would not take them to large public events right now either.

Oct 26, 2017
Remember the thread when PlayStation pulled out of PAX and how it was filled with people saying it's an "overreaction" , "fear mongering" , "racism" , "they simply having nothing to show" and other conspiracy theory level shit was posted and how Era moderation defended those posters by making a staff post legitimizing them? Good times.
Don't forget the other hit single "It shows Sony Are Weak"

Angst72

Oct 27, 2017
Mods need to ban all these "its just flu" people.
tKps2Q5.png

Good riddance.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well at least we can assume that an economic pandemic is upon us.

Rio didn't cancel Carnival, and a much smaller event like PAX will go on as planned despite some showcases pulling out.

The CDC still says business as usual, but do not travel to China or Korea unless absolutely necessary and take extreme caution if traveling to other infected areas (Italy, Japan, Hong Kong) oh and avoid Asian Cruise Ships.

America has not had any additional positive cases of the virus for a while (This weeks number bump came from repatriated Citizens from the Cruise & China contact). The CDC is manual screening inbound flights from airports that service China.

As far as actual risk in America goes absolutely nothing has changed over the past week or so, other than the level of panic.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
So I imagine E3 is gonna go the same way with a lot of companies pulling out. Maybe most of what happens around then is done Direct style and it really drives home how little it's needed anymore.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Seeing as people get sick as hell from these events just on normal years. Seems fucking crazy to hold them when there is a new contagious sickness spreading around

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell, the mods on here even endorsed the idea and backed them up on it. I guess that will change now.

Literally (the actual literally) NOTHING has changed in America regarding the coronavirus since the last thread. The Data and the science that it's based on still says business as usual stateside.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Literally (the actual literally) NOTHING has changed in America regarding the coronavirus since the last thread. The Data and the science that it's based on still says business as usual stateside.
You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Maybe you should review some CDC statements from yesterday.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't know what the hell you're talking about. Maybe you should review some CDC statements from yesterday.

Yeah read them.

They state that the increase in numbers came from citizens returning from infected areas that were quarantined before entry. They specifically state those from the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship and those that were infected from China, oh and a couple/few that were quarantined from the same region tested positive for SARS [SARS-CoV-2 the virus that causes Coronavirus] .
CDChttps://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6908e1.htm?s_cid=mm6908e1_e&deliveryName=USCDC_921-DM20815 said:
Repatriation flights from areas with substantial COVID-19 transmission.
During January 29–February 6, the U.S. government repatriated 808 U.S. citizens, residents, and their families from Hubei Province, China, on five chartered flights. At the time of departure, all travelers were free of symptoms for COVID-19 (fever or feverishness, cough, difficulty breathing). After arriving in the United States, the repatriated travelers were quarantined for 14 days at one of five U.S. military bases. CDC and U.S. government staff members monitored these travelers' health. As of February 23, 28 (3%) of these persons developed COVID-19-related symptoms and were evaluated for infection; three were found to be positive for SARS-CoV-2 and were referred for medical care and isolation. As of February 24, the remaining 805 travelers had completed their 14-day quarantine.

So yeah, I did read them.

CDC https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html said:
Situation in U.S.

Imported cases of COVID-19 in travelers have been detected in the U.S. Person-to-person spread of COVID-19 also has been seen among close contacts of returned travelers from Wuhan, but at this time, this virus is NOT currently spreading in the community in the United States.

Specifically worth noting
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6908e1.htm?s_cid=mm6908e1_e&deliveryName=USCDC_921-DM20815#covid-19casesintheunitedstates said:
COVID-19 Cases in the United States

As of February 23, 14 COVID-19 cases had been diagnosed in the following six states: Arizona (one case), California (eight), Illinois (two), Massachusetts (one), Washington (one), and Wisconsin (one). Twelve of these 14 cases were related to travel to China, and two cases occurred through person-to-person transmission to close household contacts of a person with confirmed COVID-19. An additional 39 cases were reported among repatriated U.S. citizens, residents, and their families returning from Hubei province, China (three), and from the Diamond Princess cruise ship that was docked in Yokohama, Japan (36). Thus, there have been 53 cases within the United States. No deaths have been reported in the United States.
This was the cause of the bounce in numbers this week, repatriated Americans that were previously infected abroad, but are now clear of symptoms.

Last edited:

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah read them.

They state that the increase in numbers came from citizens returning from infected areas that were quarantined before entry. They specifically state those from the Diamond Princess Cruise Ship and those that were infected from China, oh and a couple/few that were quarantined from the same region tested positive for SARS.

So yeah, I did read them.
You obviously didn't. They stated that they expect the spread in the US and it's just a matter of when and they are preparing for pandemic. I know the mods on here won't do anything about your spread of misinformation, but you really need to stop.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You obviously didn't. They stated that they expect the spread in the US and it's just a matter of when and they are preparing for pandemic. I know the mods on here won't do anything about your spread of misinformation, but you really need to stop.

I guess you read a headline on your Homepage, but ignored the CDCs actual reports.

Cool

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see the just a flu guy got banned. It's so frustrating to see such nonsensical comments being made. Hell even Easy allies made (well at least two of them) made similarly idiotic comments in the last podcast.

Firms who are doing this right now are 100% in the right to so

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Well this is not a joke, people should start to understand it.
I had too to stop some business travel because I am from Italy, I have no illness, but I dont really know what will happen clearly if I travel outside of my country because rules are changing everyday... I dont want to be stuck in another country for 14 days... :\

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Better be safe than sorry with potential pandemics, y'know.

Wash your hands with soap and/or alcogel, and try to not rub your hands in your face like usual which is difficult because it's basically been a subconscious reflex your whole life. And don't cuddle with coughy people/potential sickos.

It's like common sense stuff everyone ought to already be aware of, but you know, now it's pertinent to actually follow that advice.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what's your endgame here.

Just sticking to facts and not the typical inciting panic shit that some on this board love to revel in.

It makes sense for the CDC to use the wording they did, with the "not if, but when" verbiage. Unless they are funded frivolously and maybe supported by a deployment of the National Guard it would be irresponsible to say that the States will not encounter a native outbreak. Maybe they used the phasing they did to encourgge Government to increase their funding, I don't know they didn't share their model that drove the headlines yesterday.

But the data does speak for itself and is currently trending the right direction when looking at Johns Hopkins graphical data. Of course this could change if countries keep dropping the ball on containment (in reference to parts of Europe & S. Korea).

Downward trends of new cases are a very good thing.
22crnX8.png

As it stands right now, America is still operating with a business as usual philosophy, even the American Indexes are coming to their senses today letting things return to normal.

buset

Jul 25, 2018
But the data does speak for itself and is currently trending the right direction when looking at Johns Hopkins graphical data. Of course this could change if countries keep dropping the ball on containment (in reference to parts of Europe & S. Korea).

Its still a good idea to try to not travel extensively and mass meet though, right? Also, according to WHO (via The Guardian) 427 cases were reported by 37 countries on Tuesday, compared with 411 by the Chinese authorities. I guess a lot of those countries won't be able to quarantine and close cities the same ways as China.....

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its still a good idea to try to not travel extensively and mass meet though, right? Also, according to WHO (via The Guardian) 427 cases were reported by 37 countries on Tuesday, compared with 411 by the Chinese authorities. I guess a lot of those countries won't be able to quarantine and close cities the same ways as China.....

Don't travel to a country that doesn't have its shit together and if you're in a country that doesn't have its shit together don't go out of your way to fuck up one that does.
CDC said:
Wash your hands a lot, cover your mouth & nose when coughing or sneezing, try to not touch your face. Don't lick people. Essentially practice basic hygiene.

Business as usual for most of us.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
CDPR wasn't even on the exhibitor list, so this for the most part changes nothing for attendees. They just had some people attending more casually that are now not going.

What's the point of even announcing this then?

They going to announce they aren't attending the Tony's next?

On a similar note, I'd like to annouce that due to the coronavirus, I will not be attending the 2020 Nobel Conference.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
What's the point of even announcing this then?

They going to announce they aren't attending the Tony's next?

On a similar note, I'd like to annouce that due to the coronavirus, I will not be attending the 2020 Nobel Conference.
Some of the team at CD Projekt Red were planning on attending the event; but it was announced that due to health concerns they were not going to go and as you can see from the OP, several other high-profile companies that were exhibiting or had panels opted out as well.