• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 24, 2018
And I would have preferred a defined protagonist in cyberpunk too, but whats done is done . And Cyberpunk is completely different IP with different design goals and approach. Me wanting a defined protagonist in next witcher game has nothing to do with Cyberpunk, despite feeling disappointed in their decision
Your argument is that defined protagonists is where their "strengths lie" which I'd say is a bit presumptous as we haven't seen them do anything but the Witcher and Cyberpunk 2077's protagonists looks to be pretty defined. Even ignoring he emphasis they are putting on PnP rules, stats, and class customization akin to what old school RPGs offered that also gave a lot of character backstory and tools to define your character, I don't think it's entirely grounded in the ability to customize them or not. In Cyberpunk your character has a voice, a bit of autodialogue, if anything that is more or less the same as Geralt and Adam Jensen. Plus, the protagonist in a game like Saints Row, for instance, was fully customizable but had a preset character sheet and everything laid out.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Your argument is that defined protagonists is where their "strengths lie" which I'd say is a bit presumptous as we haven't seen them do anything but the Witcher and Cyberpunk 2077's protagonists looks to be pretty defined. Old school RPGs offered a lot of character backstory and tools to define your character, I don't think it's entirely grounded in the ability to customize them or not. The protagonist is Saints Row, for instance, was fully customizable but had a preset character sheet and everything laid out.
CDPR strengths lie in story telling, writing , atmosphere , world building , dialogue . It is far easier to achieve great dialogue and story telling with defined protagonist like Geralt or Arthur from RDR 2 due to more limited and focused scope of how these characters interact with characters and the world compared to blank slate characters like in Bethesda games or Dragon Age games . Mass Effect is somewhere in the middle

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Very exciting to get two big games from them by 2021, as long as both are fully fleshed out though.

Jul 24, 2018
CDPR strengths lie in story telling, writing , atmosphere , world building , dialogue . It is far easier to achieve great dialogue and story telling with defined protagonist like Geralt or Arthur from RDR 2 due to more limited and focused scope of how these characters interact with characters and the world compared to blank slate characters like in Bethesda games or Dragon Age games . Mass Effect is somewhere in the middle
I'd disagree, Planescape, KOTOR 1 and 2, New Vegas and a lot of other great RPGs of past and present have all the things you mentioned without the need for a protagonist who is voiced with a predetermined appearance. It boils down to whether you prefer one or the other, which is fine.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd disagree, Planescape, KOTOR 1 and 2, New Vegas and a lot of other great RPGs of past and present have all the things you mentioned without the need for a protagonist who is voiced with a predetermined appearance. It boils down to whether you prefer one or the other, which is fine.
I could not care 90% of the time what I was doing and why I was doing in FNV due to not being invested in my own character and characters in the world , mainly because it always felt like sitting info dumps rather than actual characters with their own agency.

Jul 24, 2018
I could not care 90% of the time what I was doing and why I was doing in FNV due to not being invested in my own character and characters in the world , mainly because it always felt like sitting info dumps rather than actual characters with their own agency.
I suppose that depends on how much you want to immerse yourself into the roleplaying aspect, but yeah that's cool. I personally enjoyed playing my character as a neutral merc in that game. Said game had a lot of great characters, particularly in its DLC stories. But you do you, buddy.

Raybunzy

Oct 26, 2017
Another Thronebraker instance wouldnt be bad. I dont see them able to release The witcher 4 and Cyberpunk 77 in this period of time.

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
I would love to see an RPG SCI FI game made by Cd Projekt (not cyberpunk). Like mass effect, an space opera.

But.. i know that this things.. they take time.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Hm, maybe the other game isn't a big RPG, but some smaller/ linear experience? I mean sure, their strength is in RPGs, but maybe they want to branch out a bit (like they did with thronebreaker)? Or maybe it's a GaaS multiplayer experience, where they can afford to put a less content complete game out at the start.

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
Agree. I love New Vegas dearly, but when people say they care about their blank slate of a mute character, it gets to me. Like they maybe roleplay it or something, but it was impossible for me personally to actually imagine the protagonist of those games being part of the world and not some self insert, that in reality is just a vehicle for player to interact with lots of exposition spewing NPCs.

And for that very reason I commend Bethesda for actually voicing the player in Fallout 4, and giving them some major presence in the world. Far Harbor also showed you don't need the PC to be a mute mule to have an engaging story and dialogue in that type of game.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God I hope it's not a ciri spin off. Not only does the ending of Witcher 3 not leave much room for it, but it wouldn't feel like a real Witcher game seeing her abilities and I want that whole cast of characters to be retired. They went out perfectly in Witcher 3.

If it needs to be a Witcher game, make one set in the past or future with a create your Witcher type of deal.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
So it's really going to be a Witcher game then?
'We only have two IPs. There's no reason to speculate otherwise.'
The studio is only working with two IPs, Cyberpunk and The Witcher, and there's no reason to speculate further, CD Projekt RED President Adam Kicinski said in a Pareto Securities stream from 2018. "We've never said the new AAA RPG is a new IP. We've said in our strategy that we have two franchises--Cyberpunk and The Witcher. That's it for now. So speculating about another IP...there's no reason to speculate another IP. We're working on two franchises, full stop. So if there's another game it'll be Cyberpunk or The Witcher. Nothing else," Kicinski said in the presentation.
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/65277/witcher-4-cd-projekt-reds-next-game/index.html

Last edited:

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
If they announce a release date sometime this year and Cyberpunk releases within a few months of it, imagine the massive hype...

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Feels like Cyberpunk has got to come this year. Then there'd be two years before their next game.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
I'm afraid it won't be possible to have these games on Switch. I wouldn't be suprised if they're working on Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales and Gwent ports though. It would be a great fit for this platform.

They've responded to an interview question about a Thronebreaker Switch port in October that there are no plans for Thronebreaker on any other platform.

They've never denied all the Gwent and Witcher 3 on Switch rumors. But they may just not be aware of them, or not interested in the Switch.

IMHO both card games and 200h RPGs are perfect fits for a hybrid like the Switch, if they run well.

Oct 31, 2017
So it's really going to be a Witcher game then?
'We only have two IPs. There's no reason to speculate otherwise.'
The studio is only working with two IPs, Cyberpunk and The Witcher, and there's no reason to speculate further, CD Projekt RED President Adam Kicinski said in a Pareto Securities stream from 2018. "We've never said the new AAA RPG is a new IP. We've said in our strategy that we have two franchises--Cyberpunk and The Witcher. That's it for now. So speculating about another IP...there's no reason to speculate another IP. We're working on two franchises, full stop. So if there's another game it'll be Cyberpunk or The Witcher. Nothing else," Kicinski said in the presentation.
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/65277/witcher-4-cd-projekt-reds-next-game/index.html
I welcome a new game in the Witcher universe with open arms, and to be honest that's precisely what I expected (I imagined that Cyberpunk would be their "risky new IP" while a new Witcher game would be their safety net), but still... A bit disappointed it's not a new setting.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
They've responded to an interview question about a Thronebreaker Switch port in October that there are no plans for Thronebreaker on any other platform.

They've never denied all the Gwent and Witcher 3 on Switch rumors. But they may just not be aware of them, or not interested in the Switch.

IMHO both card games and 200h RPGs are perfect fits for a hybrid like the Switch, if they run well.

Well... I remember reading a Polish interview where interviewer asked about Switch port of Thronebreaker and a CDPR rep just winked and didn't answered. So this may be in development. If it's real its probably having a very small team, considering most of Thronebreaker team were moved to Gwent and Cyberpunk. If they're working on Thronebreaker, Gwent is also possible because it runs on a same engine (Unity).

The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk wouldn't run well on Switch. If they ever try to port it, game would be massively downgraded. Thronebreaker on the other hand fits greatly into a lineup of indie isometric RPGs like Golf Story, Lost Sphear, Battle Chasers: Nightwar or The Banner Saga (which was actually one of main inspirations for Thronebreaker), etc. Gwent as a card game could have a big potential in playing with friends on different Switches.

Last edited:

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm surprised noone in this thread has looked into CD Projekt's annual reports yet, because we've been talking about this second AAA game in the stock market thread since August 2018 (because the thread didn't exist when they released the Annual Report 2017 in March last year).

Take a look at this page:
q0UWVZu.png

It's right there.

Also fun to note, a couple pages earlier in the same report:
This dynamic growth of the Group's workforce over the past year is associated with a major upscaling of the Group's activity profile and ongoing development projects. The CD PROJEKT Capital Group strategy for 2016-2021 stpiulates that by 2021 the Group will be managing two large and two smaller development teams, each working on a distinct project. Currently the majority of the team is based at the Warsaw headquarters of CD PROJEKT, while nearly 60 individuals are employed in KrakĂłw.
So basically Cyberpunk 2077 and the fourth Witcher game as AAA projects, and Gwent and Thronebreaker as smaller projects. And after this report was released, they established a studio dedicated to mobile games. So there's a lot of stuff coming from CD Projekt RED in the coming 3 years. :D

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Well... I remember reading a Polish interview where interviewer asked about Switch port of Thronebreaker and a CDPR rep just winked and didn't answered. So this may be in development. If it's real its probably having a very small team, considering most of Thronebreaker team were moved to Gwent and Cyberpunk. If they're working on Thronebreaker, Gwent is also possible because it runs on a same engine (Unity).

The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk wouldn't run well on Switch. If they ever try to port it, game would be massively downgraded. Thronebreaker on the other hand fits greatly into a spectrum of indie isometric RPGs like Golf Story, Lost Sphear, Battle Chasers: Nightwar or The Banner Saga (which was actually one of main inspirations for Thronebreaker), etc. Gwent as a card game could have a big potential in playing with friends on different Switches.

The Polish interview you mention is new to me, thanks. Do you remember when that happened? Don't get me wrong, I agree that both Gwent and Thronebreaker would be perfect fits for the Switch, especially given that Thronebreaker did not seem to do well on other platforms, which is really a shame.

I've been following the Witcher 3 port rumors for a while. The sole detailed and convincing technical analysis I've found concluded that it would be possible without sacrificing atmo ONLY IF they seriously invest in-house into the port, i.e. changing textures, removing superfluous effects, grass detail, lots of optimization, etc. The question is whether they see a market (which I would claim exists with millions of people literally buying that console for the other mature open world game of the decade, BotW) and want to invest their own resources into such ventures right now.

Expecting Cyberpunk is unrealistic, that game even looks too demanding for the current gen.

Last edited:

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
The Polish interview you mention is new to me, thanks. Do you remember when that happened? Don't get me wrong, I agree that both Gwent and Thronebreaker would be perfect fits for the Switch, especially given that Thronebreaker did not seem to do well on other platforms, which is really a shame.

I've been following the Witcher 3 port rumors for a while. The sole detailed and convincing technical analysis I've found concluded that it would be possible without sacrificing atmo ONLY IF they seriously invest in-house into the port, i.e. changing textures, removing superfluous effects, grass detail, lots of optimization, etc. The question is whether they see a market (which I would claim exists with millions of people literally buying that console for the other mature open world game of the decade, BotW) and want to invest their own resources into such ventures right now.

Expecting Cyberpunk is unrealistic, that game even looks too demanding for the current gen.

So I tried to find it, but with no success. I don't remember where I saw it, but it was just before launch when CDPR invited medias to their headquarters. This question didn't made a headline, was briefly mentioned within the interview and a story itself wasn't picked up by any other Polish websites, though.

Thronebreaker was originally planned as a singleplayer campaign for Gwent. Later they decided to split both into separate games. This was a great idea, but at a same time they didn't spent a proper time to market both games and made a lot of bad choices during release that ultimately ended with a game that sold below CD Projekts initial projections.

Considering what Panic Button did with DOOM, I guess everything would be possible. But relocating substantial resources for a port to a single platform? I don't think it would make sense from a business perspective. If they ever do something like that, the first in line would probably be The Witcher 2 remaster, which could be developed simultaneously on Switch, PS4 and Xbox One. But I don't think they ever have something like that planned.

Thats why I thought Gwent and Thronebreaker could be a better fit. Both not only fits into a current portfolio of games released on Switch, but were developed on Unity which is supposedly easier to port and would be great way to test the waters if CD Projekt Red game on the Switch could be successful or not.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Thanks for looking it up though! On Gwent and Thronebreaker, not even Hearthstone is on Switch yet, and indies like Banner Saga are successful. There is potential that the Switch community may embrace this type of game more than communities of other platforms.

By the way, they've continued the Q&A that was originally linked by OP. There is a detailed new response by Karolina from 22nd (today) from few hours ago in the thread: https://www.cdprojekt.com/pl/forums/topic/lista-pytan-do-zarzadu/page/68/

GoogleTranslate doesn't seem to do a bad job for me.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Thanks for looking it up though! On Gwent and Thronebreaker, not even Hearthstone is on Switch yet, and indies like Banner Saga are successful. There is potential that the Switch community may embrace this type of game more than communities of other platforms.

By the way, they've continued the Q&A that was originally linked by OP. There is a detailed new response by Karolina from 22nd (today) from few hours ago in the thread: https://www.cdprojekt.com/pl/forums/topic/lista-pytan-do-zarzadu/page/68/

GoogleTranslate doesn't seem to do a bad job for me.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. Having a game like that on Nintendo Direct or Nindies could boost interest in this game. I only played to an end of a first act, but I was genuinely intrigued with a story. Meve was a great character and a whole concept of expanding her arc from Baptism of Fire novel was a great idea.

Nice find! There is a Switch question. She basically says that she owns it personally, they're interested in Switch and are looking at it with great interest.

What's also interesting that Gwent team was slightly downscaled, but still has over 100 people working on maintenance and a new content.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
My guess...

They may be working on a multiplayer title using the Cyberpunk IP. (GaaS?)
They may be working on a switch port of Witcher 3
They may be working on a totally new Witcher title that is not a sequel to Witcher 3.

Called it. Hope it's not the other AAA title though... (im sure it's not)