• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
And And for all these people who think that Sapkowski would be an unknown writer (outside of Poland) if it wasn't for CDRP, CDPR would be an small polish distributor if it wasn't for Sapkowski. It works both ways IMO.

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
And for all these people who think that Sapkwoski would be an unkwon writer if it wasn't for CDRP, CDPR would be an small polish distributor if it wasn't for Sapkowski. It works both ways IMO.

Of course, that's what the initial contract is for. You think if Sapkowski became a massive best selling author and CDPR flamed out after making one Witcher game he'd be offering them money because they gambled with his IP? Of course not.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Of course, that's what the initial contract is for. You think if Sapkowski became a massive best selling author and CDPR flamed out after making one Witcher game he'd be offering them money because they gambled with his IP? Of course not.
Yep, I agree. It's only that as we are in a videogame forum, and A.S. is known for be "against" videogames, we see usually people position against the writer, and sometimes forgetting that all that "mature, dark fantasy" world that we all known and love is not a CDPR creation.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At least he's getting royalties this time. He was just so bitter about how more people thought he wrote the books based on the game when its really the other way around. Never heard of Sapkowski until the Witcher games came out.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
And And for all these people who think that Sapkowski would be an unknown writer (outside of Poland) if it wasn't for CDRP, CDPR would be an small polish distributor if it wasn't for Sapkowski. It works both ways IMO.
Yeah as I mentioned earlier, the first two games sold best on regions that had the books. So popularity of the books definitely helped the franchise to take off and continue into the third game. And while Witcher 3 was a huge success and not dependant on the books popularity, the stories CDPR tells are still based on his books as are many (not all) of the characters. They continue this even with Thronebreaker (Queen Meve as the player character), they are still taking new characters and stories from him rather than just creating new from the scratch.

Last edited:

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Yeah, apparently Polish Law is different from US law. It was obvious a settlement was gonna be reached. Now he can shut up and go away

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Thinking about this, it's time for Mercurysteam to step up their game and create a Don Quijote game. This time the writer is dead so he won't ask for royalties.

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
Classy move by them given the author made a poor business decision, and had no way to discern years later the series would explode the way it did in the video game space.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If they decided to settle, it's likely cause they didn't want to deal with who knows how long of a legal battle that only takes away focus from cyberpunk. Since they offered less and it was accepted, just shows his initial demands were made as high with the hopes of settling somewhere in between.

It's enough of a gesture of good will to appease him, question is if he'll keep the grudge for any future collab they want him involved in.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Rather they pay their employees better than some bitter old man who hates video games and sold off his rights legally back in the day when CD Projekt advised him to take royalties back then rather than outright selling them.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
The benefit was the CD Projekt Red popularized Witcher on the west. People started buying his books thanks to the games. We also don't know if the games were the reason Netflix licensed the series to make their TV adaptation.

So yeah, even if he didn't receive in the past any royalties for each game sold, he was still benefited by CDPR games.

You're not wrong

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Yep, I agree. It's only that as we are in a videogame forum, and A.S. is known for be "against" videogames, we see usually people position against the writer, and sometimes forgetting that all that "mature, dark fantasy" world that we all known and love is not a CDPR creation.

I'm sure most fans of The Witcher games know Sapkowski is the original creator of the world and he should be thanked for the games existence just as much as CDPR. It's just the way he goes about it that kinda.. rubs me the wrong way. Look at George R. R. Martin, Dmitry Glukhovsky or even Mike Pondsmith to see how authors and creators of such worlds could behave when someone is adapting their work in another medium.

I'm not against him getting paid though, but the way he sold the rights without having any faith in CDPR and once they were successful asking for more is just kinda sad.

DharmaBum

Sep 5, 2018
I'm happy to hear this. Good on CDPR. Appropriate compensation for creators is a good thing!

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I find it kind of bizarre some people seem to take CDPR's public relations word on this 100% and then literally the next sentence seem to turn around and say they aren't paying their employees enough.

CDPR is a company. They act as a company, which means they'll try and get away with whatever they can. They'll also pay out when they feel they need to for whatever reason, not necessarily out of the goodness of their heart. They'll make it seem like that for PR reasons, though.

Realistically disputes like this come up all the fucking time and we can't tell who's in the right if anyone at all. WB had a big dispute with the Tolkein estate at least a few times from what I can remember. Who was right there? I don't know, because I wasn't in the arbitration process. Same with here. Maybe Sapkowski did have a leg to stand on with Polish law. Maybe he didn't really and they thought this would give good PR. Who knows?

Boshar

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Sure CDPR is pure goodness and they pay their employees well. How naive to believe this company would pay anything if there was no chance to lose in court.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
Lol at "nice cd projekt", like nice guys did nice things. Get real, they had to, one way or another. Said that in the old thread too.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
'm not against him getting paid though, but the way he sold the rights without having any faith in CDPR and once they were successful asking for more is just kinda sad.
Yeah, this I agree. Sapkwoski made several bad decisions regarding CDPR and he deserved to not get paid bevause of them, but I dislike how some people here is always ready to disregard the writer and praise CDPR nonstop.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they reached an agreement. I love the franchise (books and games) so seeing them in this situation was bothering me a bit.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This just sets the precedent for nobody to take royalties when offered and always take the higher initial payout, because then you can just sue for royalties if it does well.

Oct 26, 2017
He is the creator of the source material. Of course he should receive some of the royalties.
He had the choice of a one off cash sum or a percentage, he took the cash sum as he didn't think the games would make any money. This was when CDPR were complete unknowns, Sapkowski had the strong position in the negotiations, it's not like it was a case of a large company misleading somebody or deliberately screwing them out of royalties.
If this is how CDPR want to play it then fair enough, everybody's happy but Sapkowski threatening legal action simply because the deal he chose turned out to be the lesser option is really shitty and speaks volumes about his character.

Radogol

Nov 9, 2017
Guys, the original Polish article is only speculation (albeit well sourced), no agreement has been reached yet.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said that months ago with how poland laws are, that would happen. Not with what he wanted but still a big quantity of royalties.

Very deserved as this video game franchise wouldn't exist without the author since he created everything.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Glad to see him get his due, the guy worked his ass off making those books and sold the rights cheap.
Cdproject did the right thing recognizing that and fixing it.
Now he can go back making new book's on witcher and we can get some new games based off them.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Rather they pay their employees better than some bitter old man who hates video games and sold off his rights legally back in the day when CD Projekt advised him to take royalties back then rather than outright selling them.
Where is this coming from? Has there been stories about the company mistreating their employees?

Glad to see him get his due, the guy worked his ass off making those books and sold the rights cheap.
Cdproject did the right thing recognizing that and fixing it.
Now he can go back making new book's on witcher and we can get some new games based off them.
He chose to sell the rights cheap because he didn't want to take the risk, and he didn't believe in video games. It was fully his choice. I don't think that's his due to get the results of taking the risk without actually taking it. CDPR was a small developer at the time, they wanted to pay him royalties rather than cash, he refused and forced them to pay cash they didn't really have. That could have ruined the company.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Man fuck that author completely. I don't like the idea of people being taken advantage of or not being paid for their work but they offered dude a deal and he balked and demanded cash and they fucking agreed on it. He signed his godamn name and proceeded to trash said company and games in general until he realized that their creative endeavor was - and will forever be - wildly more sucessfull than his stupid books.

I know the country he's based in has some insanely leniant laws favoring his argument but i hope something turns the screw on this dudes life at some point in the near future for being such a douchebag.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I said that months ago with how poland laws are, that would happen. Not with what he wanted but still a big quantity of royalties.

Very deserved as this video game franchise wouldn't exist without the author since he created everything.
and there would be no royalties if W3 would not be as big as it is. It works both ways. And theres quite a bit original stuff , thats not taken from the books in games. You dont need to downplay CDPR to praise Sapkowski

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Where is this coming from? Has there been stories about the company mistreating their employees?

He chose to sell the rights cheap because he didn't want to take the risk, and he didn't believe in video games. It was fully his choice. I don't think that's his due to get the results of taking the risk without actually taking it. CDPR was a small developer at the time, they wanted to pay him royalties rather than cash, he refused and forced them to pay cash they didn't really have. That could have ruined the company.
We don't know the circumstances his life was at, when he made the choice to sell the right's.
In the end this game is based off his work and imagination, and this will keep a healthy relationship between those two which will help us the consumers get more expanded universe of witcher with new storyline from the author.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
We don't know the circumstances his life was at, when he made the choice to sell the right's.
In the end this game is based off his work and imagination, and this will keep a healthy relationship between those two which will help us the consumers get more expanded universe of witcher with new storyline from the author.
But we do know the reason he chose what he did, because he didn't believe in video games or CDPR and didn't think anything would come from the deal. He didn't want to risk not getting anything if the project fell through (which he believed would happen), he thought he was just getting a quick payday.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
AuZse01.jpg

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
But we do know the reason he chose what he did, because he didn't believe in video games or CDPR and didn't think anything would come from the deal.
That's why I said cdproject did the right thing. He was ignorant with his decision but that didn't stop him from making new books of witcher even though he knew he wasn't going to get any money of the video game.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
That's why I said cdproject did the right thing. He was ignorant with his decision but that didn't stop him from making new books of witcher even though he knew he wasn't going to get any money of the video game.
But why is that "the right thing"? CDPR took a huge risk paying him for the rights, he took zero risks by choosing to take the cash. Why should he be rewarded for making what he considered a smart choice, and then trying to reneg on the deal, asking for more money just because they made a lot of money? He still says he doesn't like video games, and doesn't like the fact that the Witcher games are so popular. All he cares about is the money.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017

Not that great of reviews on glassdoor.com with just 58% recommendation to work there, and I believe there were some instances of people who should have been salaried were instead just contract workers to avoid paying benefits.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He doesn't deserve an additional dime, but good on CDPR for being the bigger "person". Hope he learns not to be cocky in the future.

Not that great of reviews on glassdoor.com with just 58% recommendation to work there, and I believe there were some instances of people who should have been salaried were instead just contract workers to avoid paying benefits.

"Should be salaried" is a legal definition you likely don't want to get into and will not win, companies are diligent to make sure contacted workers absolutely do not do work to be considered salaried. This is beyond common and accepted in tech roles.

Also keep in mind Glassdoor has a huge bias towards disgruntled workers, same as any review source.

I've yet to talk to colleagues at CDPR who were not ecstatic about working there, and I've had the great pleasure of meeting a few.

Last edited:

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
But why is that "the right thing"? CDPR took a huge risk paying him for the rights, he took zero risks by choosing to take the cash. Why should he be rewarded for making what he considered a smart choice, and then trying to reneg on the deal, asking for more money just because they made a lot of money? He still says he doesn't like video games, and doesn't like the fact that the Witcher games are so popular. All he cares about is the money.
Cause he could have moved on to some other book after he sold off the rights but he made new books which were used in lore of Witcher 2 and 3.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was there ever any analysis of the specific Polish law Sapkowksi's lawyers were citing? A quick search says it was article 44 in Poland's 1994 copyright law which says it can be invoked when the compensation remitted to the author is too low given the benefits obtained in association with the use of that author's work.

It seems like CD Projekt could argue that the success of the series isn't a result of the association to the property, but I don't recall what the consensus was on that claim.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The guy's a jerk and made a mistake, but this is a great move on their part. I also do believe it's earned.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and there would be no royalties if W3 would not be as big as it is. It works both ways. And theres quite a bit original stuff , thats not taken from the books in games. You dont need to downplay CDPR to praise Sapkowski

I wasn't downplaying CDPR. It's the complete truth that without Sapkowski, the games wouldn't exist as he's the creator of the series and the characters, story, worldbuilding and everything came from his thoughts and head. The same is true for every thing that is adapted that only exists because a person created in a original media and then a company adapted to other media.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wasn't downplaying CDPR. It's the complete truth that without Sapkowski, the games wouldn't exist as he's the creator of the series and the characters, story, worldbuilding and everything came from his thoughts and head. The same is true for every thing that is adapted that only exists because a person created in a original media and then a company adapted to other media.
Oh complete truth , alright then