• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
So, according to some users here, as the author was being mean to those who screwed him and were making millions out of his ip, he didn't deserved any of the money. Is that correct?
They didn't screw him. He pretty much screwed himself, CDPR offered him royalties, he didn't take them.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
They didn't screw him. He pretty much screwed himself, CDPR offered him royalties, he didn't take them.
Yeah, he made a mistake, and cd projekt was going to take advantage from it for all eternity to get millions, just like scummy corporations do. But that's ok because they made a cool game and the old man talks shit about your hobby.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, he made a mistake, and cd projekt was going to take advantage from it for all eternity to get millions, just like scummy corporations do. But that's ok because they made a cool game and the old man talks shit about your hobby.
They paid for it, of course they were going to use the license.

What did you want them to do? Force him to sign up for royalties against his will lol?

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not mad that the guy that created the thing gets paid. But why are people saying he got screwed, or taken advantage of? He was the one that agreed to the lump sum. He didn't believe in the games, so what? That doesn't mean he was screwed because he turned out wrong.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I just read the first two Witcher books and I really liked them. This seems like a nice ending for both parties.

he got what he asked for. CDPR gave him a choice. Less money now, but you will be given royalties or more money now but now royalties.

He never believed in the games, he never provided help/advice, CDPR had to make two games, before the third game became success. One can argue that W3 was a success because of the hard work of CDPR and not the author of the universe.

It would be interesting to see the sell charts for the books after, during W3 release and campaign to see if maybe, just maybe, we already benefited from the games.
Except he has built a relationship with the dev team?

• In the Enhanced Edition, the Bonus DVD contains an interview that reveals that Andrzej Sapowski himself had built a relationship with the development team and revealed to them that Geralt did survive the events depicted in the end of the series of books. Despite this, the events depicted in all the games remain non-canon.

Mihai_

Banned
Sep 25, 2018
Are you less than 18 years old?
Serious question. I'm not trying to ad hominem...I'm genuinely asking myself what your age is.

Because your line 'he made a mistake' sounds like something a 15 yo who doesn't understand how the world works, would say.

Sapkowski sold the rights to CDPR. He got the money according to the contract. He undervalued his work (or didn't have faith in a small company, as cdpr was small at that point) so he refused royalties and opted for a flat fee. HE GOT THE MONEY.

Now he wants money gain. AFTER HE ALREADY SOLD THEM THE RIGHTS.

It's really unfortunate that CDPR caved. I really like Sapkowski's books, but once you sell the rights for pennies, you're not entitled to more money just cuz 'you made a mistake and didn't realize the IP will become huge'. That said, screw Sapkowski.

Good for him and well deserved. The attitude of some of you here is disgusting.
Man, wtf. The only disgusting attitude is the attitude of Sapkowski who wants money twice, just cuz... Wtf is wrong with some of you?

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Stop blaming CDProject. If someone refuses to take my offer because he thinks it turns out shit again then its his fault and maybe it would have been easier if the author wouldnt have been such a jerk in the first place. His whole attitude was kind of not helping him either. He even got paid for the rights.

He can be happy that CDProject jumps over his shadow and offers them now anyway.

First he is dumb, than he turns into a greedy guy that blames CDProject and now everyone defends him? Nothing to be rewarded here in the first place. Not in my world.

Its not like the author has money problems to begin with.

Last edited:

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Huge props to CDPR for this. Just because you signed a contract and the guys a jerk, doesn't mean you can't throw the guy more money for the huge success that his creation has brought you.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Feeling a bit conflicted, but in the end, I think its a good idea they came to a mutual understanding. Without Sapkowski Witcher wouldnt exist.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Step one towards CDPR buying the IP outright from him I'd suspect.

Also, based on the passages from Polish IP law dug up during the last time this was in the news cycle and CDPR's willingness to license their depiction of Geralt to other publishers Sapkowski probably had a pretty clear win on his hands. This just saves them both a drawn out legal battle.

Shiftymorgan

Nov 2, 2017
Man, people are acting as if CDPR is some sort of corp that can do nothing wrong huh? They can't just admit that maybe, they payed too little?

They know they paid too little, they gave the option and he took what he believed was right.
He was wrong and missed out on tons of cash.

Hopefully both parties are happy with the outcome now and everyone got what they deserved and Sapkowski doesn't underestimate other mediums going forward.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
So is he paying CDPR from all the extra books he sold thanks to their games?

I doubt his books would be in every freaking book store across Europe if it weren't for the games.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Probably they did it to avoid the possibility to lose with him in court, and also maybe to avoid new requests in the future if they still release games of the Witcher franchise...

Mihai_

Banned
Sep 25, 2018
Good, he deserves it.
No, he absolutely doesn't.

Why is everyone so naive?
Do you not know that he actually declined royalties when he signed the original contract, choosing a flat fee? Because he didn't trust the medium and he didn't think the games will make hundreds of millions.
Now, suddenly, he wants royalties. AFTER HE ALREADY FORFEITED ROYALTIES IN THE ORIGINAL CONTRACT.

How in the hell does he deserve it?
He's greedy and he's acting like a child that throws a tantrum after he sees that his original decision was wrong...

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Doesn't deserve it imo. He went for the quick and easy pay out since he had no confidence in his own work or the developers making an adaption of it. Probably felt like a good idea at the time. But It's a decision he made and should have to live with, just like most people who make these sorts of decisions do. As people have said. It sets a shitty precedent when you can make a lucrative up-front deal and then come running back 10 years later demanding more...regardless of the contract you signed and the money you initially made.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
No, he absolutely doesn't.

Why is everyone so naive?
Do you not know that he actually declined royalties when he signed the original contract, choosing a flat fee? Because he didn't trust the medium and he didn't think the games will make hundreds of millions.
Now, suddenly, he wants royalties. AFTER HE ALREADY FORFEITED ROYALTIES IN THE ORIGINAL CONTRACT.

He's greedy and he's acting like a child that throws a tantrum after he sees that his original decision was wrong...

People are allowed to be wrong about things in their lifetimes and still be compensated for their hard work.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018

because he created the characters, I don't care what he signed or didn't sign. I just think he deserves it, personally

Dec 16, 2017
The writing in the games is great because they're a natural extension of the foundation created by the author in the books. I'd feel differently if the games were inspired by the books and created something completely different. The author being compensated is the right thing and I hope the deal allows there to be less divide between the two works.

Mihai_

Banned
Sep 25, 2018
People are allowed to be wrong about things in their lifetimes and still be compensated for their hard work.
Hold on, I'm going to sign a legally binding contract and sell you something, and a few years later I'm going to ask you for more money cuz 'I was wrong and made a mistake and undervalued my asset/work/IP'.

Yeah, no. That's not how life works.
because he created the characters, I don't care what he signed or didn't sign. I just think he deserves it, personally
I know right? Who cares about signing legally binding documents like contracts? Life isn't about that amiright?

I am shocked at how oblivious some of you are to real life. You seem to have some ideas that will be detrimental to your future financial decisions. Even a high schooler has more sense than that. Seriously...I honestly hope that you'll care and pay attention to what contracts you sign.

And yeah, Sapkowski is a greedy asshole. He should've accepted royalties from the beginning, not ask for them when he saw the games mde big money, after he already forfeited royalties.
He was alredy compensated, according to the terms of his own choosing. Asking for more money later is just greed.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
Are you less than 18 years old?
Serious question. I'm not trying to ad hominem...I'm genuinely asking myself what your age is.

Because your line 'he made a mistake' sounds like something a 15 yo who doesn't understand how the world works, would say.

Sapkowski sold the rights to CDPR. He got the money according to the contract. He undervalued his work (or didn't have faith in a small company, as cdpr was small at that point) so he refused royalties and opted for a flat fee. HE GOT THE MONEY.

Now he wants money gain. AFTER HE ALREADY SOLD THEM THE RIGHTS.

It's really unfortunate that CDPR caved. I really like Sapkowski's books, but once you sell the rights for pennies, you're not entitled to more money just cuz 'you made a mistake and didn't realize the IP will become huge'. That said, screw Sapkowski.

Man, wtf. The only disgusting attitude is the attitude of Sapkowski who wants money twice, just cuz... Wtf is wrong with some of you?
I' not 18 years old and your attittude is actually disgusting, as the other user said. Lots of people (ignorant, old, or simply dumb) are being taken adantadge from because of contracts like that. The moment they stopped bein an "indie company" and they started to get billions with the ip and the author asked for royalties, they should have accepted.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Hold on, I'm going to sign a legally binding contract and sell you something, and a few years later I'm going to ask you for more money cuz 'I was wrong and made a mistake and undervalued my asset/work/IP'.

He got paid again, right?

Apparently that is how life works sometimes.

They're going to pay him again too.

Mihai_

Banned
Sep 25, 2018
I' not 18 years old and your attittude is actually disgusting, as the other user said. Lots of people (ignorant, old, or simply dumb) are being taken adantadge from because of contracts like that. The moment they stopped bein an "indie company" and they started to get billions with the ip and the author asked for royalties, they should have accepted.
What? Is that what you think? That he was taken advantage of? Wtf mate?

They OFFERED him royalties. They motherfuckingly offered him royalties and what did he do? He REFUSED.

Think about it like this: if he would've accepted 10% of lifetime sales of the Witcher game series, he'd have...probably over 100 million dollars.

But no. He refused royalties. Nobody took advantage of him. He just made a poor financial decision and decided to sell the gaming rights to his IP for a flat fee (which was more attractive to him at the time).
And now he wants royalties. And your take is that he was taken advantage of? Wow...just wow

ITT: people are defending an old man's greed...

edit:
He got paid again, right?

Apparently that is how life works sometimes.

They're going to pay him again too.
The way I see it, CDPR chose to pay him again, in order to keep their public image.
It's better to not have to go through a lawsuit with the IP's owner (which would be detrimental to the company's public image) and just give him some money instead.
But that doesn't mean it's deserved. I reiterate: he's just a greedy asshole.

Last edited:

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
The way I see it, CDPR chose to pay him again, in order to keep their public image.
It's better to not have to go through a lawsuit with the IP's owner (which would be detrimental to the company's public image) and just give him some money instead.
But that doesn't mean it's deserved. I reiterate: he's just a greedy asshole.

Wanting more than $10k isn't greedy when the videogame IP blows up more than was ever expected and has earned hundreds of millions.

They thought he deserved it enough to pay him, they didn't have to and he had no legal avenue to sue.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018

I know right? Who cares about signing legally binding documents like contracts? Life isn't about that amiright?

I am shocked at how oblivious some of you are to real life. You seem to have some ideas that will be detrimental to your future financial decisions. Even a high schooler has more sense than that. Seriously...I honestly hope that you'll care and pay attention to what contracts you sign.

And yeah, Sapkowski is a greedy asshole. He should've accepted royalties from the beginning, not ask for them when he saw the games mde big money, after he already forfeited royalties.
He was alredy compensated, according to the terms of his own choosing. Asking for more money later is just greed.
well it worked for him so, good on him

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher books are really good btw and Witcher 3 would not be as great as it is without all the world building Sapkowski did. He was silly to not negotiate a better deal originally but he deserves a lot more credit than some people give him.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017

Well acording to some people there's a polish law that basically says that, so yes thats how life works.

They thought he deserved it enough to pay him, they didn't have to and he had no legal avenue to sue.

He very clearly had the legal grounds to sue otherwise he would have not gotten paid, companies don't pay money out of the kindness of their hearts.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad it all worked out, CDPR are a class act. I do think Sapkowski needs CDPR more than CDPR needs him though.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, no. That's not how life works

Apparently it is how life works. Nothing he did here was illegal. He's well within his rights and considering the outcome apparently he did have a leg to stand on considering the law of the land in the country he signed that legally binding contract.

They thought he deserved it enough to pay him, they didn't have to and he had no legal avenue to sue

What are you talking about? Of course he had legal avenue to sue. Like, even if things came out against him he would have had "legs avenue to sue." We don't know whether they had to pay him or not because they reached a settlement. Obviously they thought it was in their best interest to do so either because polish law was indeed on his side even somewhat or for PR reasons... or a combination of the two.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
People have acted like this since Witcher 3 came out. Any other company and people would be clamouring for him to get his money, but CDPR are god's gift to man so they should keep it.

Yep, it's the explosive combination of this being CPDR and the author talking negatively of the games. If this was EA, oh boy, just imagine the outrage it would have been against them.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Glad they did it. The man made a mistake selling the rights for cheap, but he created the damn world that brought so many millions to CDPR.

People are treating him like a murderer lol

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
People have acted like this since Witcher 3 came out. Any other company and people would be clamouring for him to get his money, but CDPR are god's gift to man so they should keep it.

No, sorry but I'd side with any other company in the same situation. IMO Sapkowski's demand is akin to placing a bet on a fairly safe runner in a race, then demanding to retroactively change that bet after the race because the 1000/1 shot that you ignored a tip about won.

I have big problems with the idea that someone can willingly accept a deal that's risk free and advantageous to them in the short term, then demand more money years later when it turns out that the riskier deal that they refused would have paid off in the long term.

He could have accepted royalties, or he could have negotiated time or sales based renegotiation clauses in the contract, but no, he signed over the rights in perpetuity for a tiny amount because he thought that the game would fail, the rights would return to him, and he'd be quids in with no risk.

Last edited: