• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no. That's not how life works.

Don't know why you seem so angry in your posts, thinking everyone is so naive.
Maybe it's CDPR that was a bit naive or ignorant of some laws in thinking that the first contract could last a lifetime, especially in case of great success. Or maybe they knew that sometimes they will have to pay more and that's it.

Don't know how all of this work in Poland but some clauses even signed can be void. For instance i don't know if it's possible to buy the right to use a franchise indefintely.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
No, sorry but I'd side with any other company in the same situation. IMO Sapkowski's demand is akin to placing a bet on a fairly safe runner in a race, then demanding to retroactively change that bet after the race because the 1000/1 shot that you ignored a tip about won.

I have big problems with the idea that someone can willingly accept a deal that's risk free and advantageous to them in the short term, then demand more money years later when it turns out that the riskier deal that they refused would have paid off in the long term.

He could have accepted royalties, or he could have negotiated time or sales based renegotiation clauses in the contract, but no, he signed over the rights in perpetuity for a tiny amount because he thought that the game would fail, the rights would return to him, and he'd be quids in with no risk.

The thing is though, Sapkowski asking for more royalties isn't even something that is underhanded in the law's mind. He has every right to sue and I'm pretty sure that's why CDPR finally gave into his request. They didn't just give it over out of the kindness of their heart.

The runner analogy doesn't work either. As a better you have had no influence on the runner, it's purely just a chance bet; whereas the Witcher wouldn't exist without Sapkowski. It's his world and characters for the most part CDPR have used and profited from. Yes he declined royalties earlier on, but again the law usually recognises this and still favours the original creator to get money from it.

And you may react the same but I can wholeheartedly assure you that if this was, like another posts said, EA - people would be demanding they pay Sapkowski. It being CDPR is the reason people are upset 99% of the time because they've become the corporation darling of the gaming community for a lot of people.

Hold on, I'm going to sign a legally binding contract and sell you something, and a few years later I'm going to ask you for more money cuz 'I was wrong and made a mistake and undervalued my asset/work/IP'.

Yeah, no. That's not how life works.

I know right? Who cares about signing legally binding documents like contracts? Life isn't about that amiright?

I am shocked at how oblivious some of you are to real life. You seem to have some ideas that will be detrimental to your future financial decisions. Even a high schooler has more sense than that. Seriously...I honestly hope that you'll care and pay attention to what contracts you sign.

And yeah, Sapkowski is a greedy asshole. He should've accepted royalties from the beginning, not ask for them when he saw the games mde big money, after he already forfeited royalties.
He was alredy compensated, according to the terms of his own choosing. Asking for more money later is just greed.

Why do you think they ended up paying him? He obviously had a very good chance at winning a lawsuit so they settled it out of court. They 100% didn't do it to be nice or friendly. That's not how life works.

They know they paid too little, they gave the option and he took what he believed was right.
He was wrong and missed out on tons of cash.

Hopefully both parties are happy with the outcome now and everyone got what they deserved and Sapkowski doesn't underestimate other mediums going forward.
He certainly isn't. He's collaborating witht the TV series as far as I know.
...which noone would have known about in the west if it wasn't for the games
And the games would have no basis if it weren't for his books.

And the books were already being translated before the first game.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Im not going to lie. I hate the precedent this sets. I really do. Its not right in my eyes.

I see why they feel its a bad look to not have a relationship with the creator... but stand by your fucking word. I absolutely hate that. Makes me sick. Would be different if he were misled or something but... man..

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I think this is a smart decision from CDPR.

It is quite likely he would have been successful had the matter gone to court and this has just saved everybody a lot of time and expensive legal fees, whilst hopefully bringing the matter to an amicable conclusion.

People on here keep saying he doesn't deserve it as he signed away the rights - well that's fair enough but in Poland there is specific legislation that protects artists if the amount of money generated grossly exceeds what they were initially paid.

Ultimately he had the law on his side, so you can't really blame him.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing. They offered him then and they turned down that's his fault.

He's still gonna complain about it anyways. Cdpr should have stuck to their ground.

Andrej is very lucky here but I'm sure we'll hear another news article about him complaining about the games in 3...2...1..

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
I've always understood it that artists should be paid what they're due.

10k on a series that has earned millions is NOT proper compensation by any barometer. It's understandable that initially, that was the best they could offer, but now the series is a success thanks to the symbiotic relationship between his written work and the game company.

Writing up a whole world with lore and characters isn't easy. They've been using all that creative content that he spent countless hours on, spanning books.

He could be a decrepit sack of sentient bones that thinks gaming is satanic, and he STILL deserves to be compensated properly for his work.

That anyone can gleefully enjoy The Witcher game series, and then come here and say it's okay that he got paid out the equivalent of what a minimum wage American makes in a year is...idk, weird.

And it seems Polish Law agrees that he should be able to renegotiate the terms of the contract. And CDPR also agreed to a settlement.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I've always understood it that artists should be paid what they're due.

10k on a series that has earned millions is NOT proper compensation by any barometer. It's understandable that initially, that was the best they could offer, but now the series is a success thanks to the symbiotic relationship between his written work and the game company.

Writing up a whole world with lore and characters isn't easy. They've been using all that creative content that he spent countless hours on, spanning books.

He could be a decrepit sack of sentient bones that thinks gaming is satanic, and he STILL deserves to be compensated properly for his work.

That anyone can gleefully enjoy The Witcher game series, and then come here and say it's okay that he got paid out the equivalent of what a minimum wage American makes in a year is...idk, weird.

And it seems Polish Law agrees that he should be able to renegotiate the terms of the contract. And CDPR also agreed to a settlement.
But this also means there is inherent unfairness in our society when it comes to gaming. He gets to shit on gaming medium AND profit from it because gaming is still silly and has no principles. He basically shouldered his way into compensation.

But I agree, he should get rewarded for his work. He just went about it in a very wrong, litiguous way it rubbed the fans and CDPR the wrong way.

Radogol

Nov 9, 2017
I'll give this another shot.

THERE IS NO DEAL YET. The original Puls Biznesu article is based on off-the-record statements by "people close to the case." It says that hopefully an agreement can be reached by the end of February and the general takeaway is that while an amicable solution is likely, it is still not certain. The article does mention additional royalties and "a special form of recognition" for Sapkowski but merely as speculation on what he might get in the end according to an unnamed source whose relation to the case is not established within the text.

So again, no agreement has been reached yet.

Last edited:

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
how about selling the rights for Hussite trilogy next?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This move tells me they are planning something big with Witcher series going forward ie a new game. Wouldn't want any baggage going into a new trilogy/series in the same universe.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they probably wanted him to shut the fuck up. Don't blame them, he sounds like a pain to deal with.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any feelings for CDPR or The Witcher, but the author knew what he was getting into when they offered him royalties and he wanted a flat sum amount. You guys act like he's not made money off his books in the first place, or the popularity of them after the games became hits, or the fact that there's a Netflix show coming out where he got paid for that.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Nice of them. Like many others I don't think he deserves it (even though I love his books and the IP) , however this is a good move by CDPR.

Mar 18, 2018
He was an old man thatprobably didn't know shit about the videogame industry and the concept of a game selling for millions might have been alien to him.

20 years ago, this same concept of a game created in a God-forsaken country at the end of the Europe selling millions was also unknown to us, polish people. The first Witcher came in 2007, but it was only the third game that everyone can say had a mayor success. When the license was sold, he decided to take the money that was the equivalent of a 12 months of regular salary here instead of some future-distant royalties, because he thought that he will never get enough money from royalties.

He also signed that contract for the first game when cd projekt was completely unknown, I'm sure he didn't know he was giving them the rights for all eternity.

So you hire a legal advisor to help understand. It was his screw up and his alone. I pay for my mistakes, why can't he pay for his? Of, right. I'm not suing a multi million dollar company and I have the balls to say to myself, I lost money because of my mistake and I can't demand more money for something I already got paid.

Cd projekt was taking advantage of that ridiculous contract and they looked shady for doing so. But then cd projekt fans/gamers see an old man talking shit about them/videogames and he suddenly deserves to rot in a hole.

They gambled on taking a well known IP in Poland and made it into a game.

Adding to that, I wonder if Netflix would ever consider buying the license from Sapkowski to create a TV-series if it wasn't for hard work of CDPR making the brand familiar around the world . Tv-series that, anecdotally, Sapkowski doesn't want to take part in (second time already ;D ).

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I'll give this another shot.

THERE IS NO DEAL YET. The original Puls Biznesu article is based on off-the-record statements by "people close to the case." It says that hopefully an agreement can be reached by the end of February and the general takeaway is that while an amicable solution is likely, it is still not certain. The article does mention additional royalties and "a special form of recognition" for Sapkowski but merely as speculation on what he might get in the end according to an unnamed source whose relation to the case is not established within the text.

So again, no agreement has been reached yet.

It's fun to see you post this twice. Because apperantly this doesn't matter, all is set in stone and legally binding now accordkng to ERA.

Thank you for posting it and binging common sense though.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Good. Now we won't hear him whine all the time even though CDPR gave him money at the beginning. Obviously he didn't expect The Witcher to explode like this but not CDPRs problem. There was an agreement and that's it

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So is he paying CDPR from all the extra books he sold thanks to their games?

I doubt his books would be in every freaking book store across Europe if it weren't for the games.

They were hugely popular in large swathes of Europe years before the first game even came out.
Sure, the games probably helped him a lot to break through on English-speaking markets, but it's extremely unfair to say he owes his success to the games.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
I said this before: I expected CDPR to throw him a bone for recognition instead of just laughing at his demands, and perhaps to offer him a little bit more so that he could supervise /add content to future Witcher games (they mentioned they'd do another one in the future).

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Its so weird seeing people saying this is a nice gesture from CDPR and shitting on the creator and at the same time somehow acting as if Sapowski is responsible for CDPR employees not getting paid.

Firstly its a settlement not a gesture. Secondly it doesnt matter if he likes video games, he is the creator of the IP. Thirdly CDPR need to pay their employees.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, according to some users here, as the author was being mean to those who screwed him and were making millions out of his ip, he didn't deserved any of the money. Is that correct?
He was the one doing the screwing. CDPR wanted to give him a royalty deal at first but he demanded a hefty one time price for it. Dudes a douchebag. He was fine with screwing them until they became big.