• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The report comes from Puls Biznesu, who claims that an amicable settlement has been reached. Sapkowski will be offered further compensation from CD Projekt Red, but the amount will be much lower than what Sapkowski was asking. Additionally, this compensation is a form of recognition for Sapkowski's work and to maintain a healthy relationship with him.

SOURCE

While I am not the biggest fan of this (it sets the wrong precedent, Sapkowski signed away the rights fully aware of what he was doing), I do admire CDPR wanting the author of the books and the creator of their biggest franchise to get more of his due, so you know, good on them.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Cool of CDPR. But part of me would honestly kind of prefer they spend that money on their employees rather than a stubborn, angry old man.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Angry old man thats popular over eastern Europe will kick up a lot more negative publicity then employees who are often under NDA.

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SOURCE

While I am not the biggest fan of this (it sets the wrong precedent, Sapkowski signed away the rights fully aware of what he was doing), I do admire CDPR wanting the author of the books and the creator of their biggest franchise to get more of his due, so you know, good on them.

They can fuck off until they pay their employees what they are "due". They are a hundred times more deserving that the author who sold the rights.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given that it says the amount is much lower. I'm guessing it'll be an amount that would ultimately cost less than having the prospect of a protracted legal battle

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine they settled on a reasonable royalty agreement. They certainly didn't have to, but it's a nice gesture to a creator who felt burned.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's better this way. Even if they weren't legally obliged and even factoring in his anti-game stance in the past, there was something that felt really off about him having created this world and then not seeing any benefit from the enormous empire that grew out of it.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
SOURCE

The article says this is coming from a settlement so if true, then it's not exactly coming from the goodness of their hearts. Likely they giving him more recognition so they don't have to pay out more money.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sapkowski doesn't really deserve it, nor do I think he conducted himself in a way that merits CD Projekt's goodwill gesture here, but that was nice of them to do. Wish they weren't rewarding him for his bad behavior but it might be worth it to potentially get him involved in some way in the future.

Now, take care of your employees.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the deal with CDPR's employees? Seen it referenced a few times in this thread, is it a Rockstar like situation?

EkStatiC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
As it should be, those contracts made when this company was a very small company and with it's today size a reexamination was the right choice.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much anyone who even pays a cursory glance to cases like this, myself included, probably figured a settlement of some type was how it was going to end.

I don't like the idea that this was done because they were nice or anything like that. There is no doubt they did this because they figured it was the best way, good chance cheapest way, to get it over with and nothing more.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Well, on one hand he clearly deserved to not receive more money and had a really bad attitude towards CDPR, but on the other hand he created all the lore and characters that for some reason most gamers think are CDPR's merit (the books have a really better writting and stories than the game of course) and made the game something good, so it's a reasonable tradeoff.

Wallach

Oct 26, 2017
I said when this story first broke there was pretty much no way he was not going to get paid. They were going to lose, there was no sense in avoiding a settlement.

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
Now that this is over, I really wish he would admit that they capitulated to him even though they didn't have to and thank them for it

However, any public statement I've ever seen him make leads me to believe that this is a pipe dream

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
They really didn't need to pay him shit but good on them for wanting to keep a healthy relationship despite Sapkowski always bad mouthing the games and saying they weren't the reason his book series is know around the world.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who are you to say he doesn't deserve this. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't but most people here have no insight to one way or the other. Have you read the contract? Do you understand how these royalty agreements break down or the scope during the initial quote?
the initial quote has he trying to screw them over, not the opposite.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
F*ck Sapkowski. The grumpy old fool won in the end. Almost talking shit the games while taking credit for the them all the time.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
despite Sapkowski always bad mouthing the games and saying they weren't the reason his book series is know around the world.
I dunno, most of the Geralt books were published here in Spain (and fairly well-known) before TW2 was even released, and let's be honest, the first game was not especially inspiring. It's like saying that A song of Ice and Fire was not popular before the TV series, it wasn't as mainstream as it is right now but it was fairly known betwen the phantasy book fans.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were reviews on Glass Door about bas working conditions at CDPR. We don't know if the stiaution is bad for sure, but it seems pretty likely when there are several reviewers stating their bad time there.
But most people won't post reviews on GlassDoor unless they're happy.
Did someone like jschreier ever corroborate these claims?

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
I usually like to dig deep into universes that I enjoy, and have been curious about The Witcher books for a while now, but I will never buy one because I just cannot support this guy's behaviour

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's better this way. Even if they weren't legally obliged and even factoring in his anti-game stance in the past, there was something that felt really off about him having created this world and then not seeing any benefit from the enormous empire that grew out of it.
The benefit was the CD Projekt Red popularized Witcher on the west. People started buying his books thanks to the games. We also don't know if the games were the reason Netflix licensed the series to make their TV adaptation.

So yeah, even if he didn't receive in the past any royalties for each game sold, he was still benefited by CDPR games.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Ay good for him, I know he was super salty about it and being aggressive but ffs he wrote the damn books

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I dunno, most of the Geralt books were published here in Spain (and fairly well-known) before TW2 was even released, and let's be honest, the first game was not especially inspiring. It's like saying that A song of Ice and Fire was not popular before the TV series, it wasn't as mainstream as it is right now but it was fairly known betwen the phantasy book fans.
His books were translated but I highly doubt it would be as mainstream without the games. He even complained that some of the fans thought the books were based off the games which pissed him off. He's also getting a Netflix series which again I kinda doubt Netflix would have picked up without the success of The Witcher 3.
A song of Ice and Fire is massive right now, yeah the books were definitely popular but after the HBO series got popular it's a mega franchise now. Same goes for Lord of The Rings with the movies.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this is behind them now. Really glad they won't have to repeat this mess with Mike Pondsmith. He seems really excited and pleased with everything in his relationship with CDPR.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
But most people won't post reviews on GlassDoor unless they're happy.
Did someone like jschreier ever corroborate these claims?
There was also this response from a co-founder regarding crunch last year at E3 which doesn't paint a great image, especially when paired with some of the GlassDoor reviews.
Earlier this year, employees of the French studio Eugen Systems went on strike for more than a month. In March, the United Game Workers Unite, an advocacy organization for employees in the video game industry was formed in the United States. What do you think of these initiatives?

Adam Badowski: It's a very difficult job, everyone knows, and improvements are always possible. But I do not know if the unions can contribute to it. We should find our own solutions.

Marcin Iwinski: That's what we do! It's true that we do lot of overtime, and when people join us, we warn them that it's really not easy. Releasing a game is, every time, as hard as sending people to Mars. But if there are unions, what do we do? We do not take off anymore? Originally, unions were created to protect low-paid workers, right? These guys are not low paid workers, they are extremely skilled professionals.

Adam Badowski: I think that changes for the better. For example, before, the industry did not pay overtime.

Marcin Iwinski: It's really blood, sweat and tears. From the outside, the video game industry seems to be a big success story. People who do not know the industry think that everything is rosy. It's really very, very hard, and people who decide to make a career in this business have to make a lot of sacrifices regularly.

Adam Badowski: But when you start a game, a trailer, a demo, you have to see the reactions. Today, in Warsaw, at the head office of CD Projekt, there is joy, noise, and everyone is happy!

Apr 16, 2018
One day creators won't so brazenly sell the rights to their creations for a quick cash grab. Glad he was able to get himself more bread for the world he created.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh. Cool of CDPR, I guess. Dude signed away his rights to this fully aware of what he was doing, so I never had much sympathy for his situation. Especially since I'm sure the success of the games increased interest in his books.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
He even complained that some of the fans thought the books were based off the games which pissed him off.
Well I can kind of understand this, more if we take into consideration that he is old. I mean, the merit of creating the characters, universe, dark fantasy tone is entirely his merit, nobody likes when somebody else uses you work (in a inferior way in this case) and nobody likes when everybody who doesn't know better forgets about you or thinks that somebody else created your lore/universe.

It's true that thanks to CDPR the Witcher universe is expanding a lot, but is also true that in the phantasy book market there is a lot of old, strong and well known competitors, while in the western RPG market now that Bioware isn't doing anything decent, it's easier to take the attention of the people if you do something different or mature.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Nice. It's what I was saying, pay the dude but what he was asking might be too much. What he initially got, was definitely way too little.
Yeah the books were well known and also awarded in different parts of Europe, even before the first game was released. Which didn't set the world on fire either, the two first games sold best on regions where the books were released/translated.

Last edited: